Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 05:31 PM
ottawah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Wolfe sign first three rounders and dehaan... Any thoughts
Loved Dehaan as a midget player here, but that is midget. I just think he is too small to make a huge difference. Its not like he is Murphy on offense.

His big asset is smarts and ethic. He out thought everyone in Ottawa and out worked most of them. but now he is moving into a league full of smarts and work ethic, so those advantages will diminish. But hopefully he will find his niche and be a contributing player.

Old
06-02-2012, 05:34 PM
ottawah

Baptiste

FYI my nephew goes to his school and asked him the other day how he looks. Says the kid is really training very hard this year and has the potential to be a big surprise next year. Remember he showed up last year with no hockey or workouts for 6 months beforehand, but apparently now he is really hitting the work outs hard and adding size.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Hockeyfriend

Any news from Wolves land on trades...looks like the Pete's are making some changes with recent trades from SSM and Guelph. Believe they have pushed themselves into a top 8 team now.

Looks like the Campagna deal, as laid out by a few recently, will not happen. THey have plenty of 92's still kicking around which need to be moved. Thought BS would have moved a ferw of them sooner rather than later. Teams are doing some trades and if you wait there may not be any place for them to go then a release is needed and you get nothing in return.

Not sure if they will have a place for everyone they have signed or commited to. Might be good to move a few of the younger guys (95's and 94's) in a package to team where they can play.

Any thoughts?

Old
06-10-2012, 06:39 AM
defensehockey19

Since you guys are rebuilding how likely do you think it is that one of Dodero or Sefton is moved before the start of the year?

Old
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Since you guys are rebuilding how likely do you think it is that one of Dodero or Sefton is moved before the start of the year?
Those are 2 nice vets to have but does anyone think there's a chance Suddy Wolves would get rid of that backbone?

Old
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Hockeyfriend

Wolves NHL draft

What happened? Not one drafted...hope that does not push kids to opt out of playing in Sudbury from here on in. Three players were on CS's list at one time or another during the season - albeit very low, but still on list.

Is there any issues with NHL scouting and Sudbury Wolves - too far away from the action?? Any comments and what does the 2013 draft elegible players have to look forward to?

Old
06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
What happened? Not one drafted...hope that does not push kids to opt out of playing in Sudbury from here on in. Three players were on CS's list at one time or another during the season - albeit very low, but still on list.

Is there any issues with NHL scouting and Sudbury Wolves - too far away from the action?? Any comments and what does the 2013 draft elegible players have to look forward to?
They draft players from Russia. Sudbury is not to far away. Scouts go where the players are. Thats why Baptise it projected as a top 2013 player, location plays no role.

Simply put, the Wolves did't have anyone worthy of being seleted. Only player I had on my list was Campagna, but had him as a fringe player.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
They draft players from Russia. Sudbury is not to far away. Scouts go where the players are. Thats why Baptise it projected as a top 2013 player, location plays no role.

Simply put, the Wolves did't have anyone worthy of being seleted. Only player I had on my list was Campagna, but had him as a fringe player.
But why is that? London had 6, Guelph had 5 or so, etc. Is the way they get played, is it the way they are developed, not sure why.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
But why is that? London had 6, Guelph had 5 or so, etc. Is the way they get played, is it the way they are developed, not sure why.
Well first off, look at the 94's on the roster and compare them to the other teams, simply put, they are much better players, and better players before they ever came to Sudbury.

Take a look at my post in the 2010 OHL Draft, look at my comments on the Wolves draft. Very poor selections outside of the first round.

Way to much focus on northern area kids, and not enough drafing of the 'best player available'. At the time, they seemed to care more about drafting the best local kid, not the best kid. I made the statement that the 94 class would be a poor one of the Wolves. It's proving to be true.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 06-25-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Well first off, look at the 94's on the roster and compare them to the other teams, simply put, they are much better players, and better players before they ever came to Sudbury.

Take a look at my post in the 2010 OHL Draft, look at my comments on the Wolves draft. Very poor selections outside of the first round.

Way to much focus on northern area kids, and not enough drafing of the 'best player availuable'. At the time, they seemed to care more about drafting the best local kid, not the best kid. I made the statement that the 94 class would be a poor one of the Wolves. It's proving to be true.
I am afraid both the 95 and 96 class are not looking much more promisng to the exeption of batispe. Good call with the 94 Tiger

Old
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
I am afraid both the 95 and 96 class are not looking much more promisng to the exeption of batispe. Good call with the 94 Tiger
Not happy about it, and its not like I was the only one who said it, I just said it online. Others said the same thing the next September. Id love to see the Wolves do well, just seem to care more about pleasing the locals vs. drafting the best players. Over 50 percent of the players in the 2010 Draft came from Ottawa, Sudbury or Thunder Bay. I remember sitting in our war room and we couldn't belive the amount of players they selected who where locals, most if not all unrated by us.

I think my quote was 'drafting for the press release'. It's been an issue for Sudbury in the past. I respect that they want to draft local, but it hurts the development of the franchise.

Fans get excited when they see local players drafted, but at the end of the day, it can really hurt if they are not the BEST players available.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 06-25-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
bigred2point0

The wolves should of traded Sgarbossa and begun a rebuild we all knew they had no chance to win this year they should just blow it all up and build around Baptiste, Vilardi and Cummins maybe Pancel there a joke of an organization Mark Burgess runs the whole show BS does nothing he has no power Connor Burgess is gonna have top 6 minutes next year and he doesnt deserve them. Once again the wolves will continue to be below average but Burgess doesnt care because he still makes money.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Crottenham

Why start a rebuild if your drafting strategy is not upgraded to take the best availble players?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:19 AM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

I really thought one of Campagna or Pancel would of got drafted

Old
06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorth View Post
I really thought one of Campagna or Pancel would of got drafted
I did as well - Pancel for sure - so that is why I wonder if it is because Sudbury is so remote or is it how they promote the draft eligible players. I read comments made earlier that a player like Campagna did not get played as much as he should have and that is possible. Earlier there was a "who would be 2nd line center" when Kontos was still there. And when coach gives Sgarbossa unlimited ice time and some times, especially down the stretch to win scoring title, he would play 35-45 minutes of the game (Yes, one game he played full 5 minutes on two powerplays in same game), the 2nd line center gets less and 3rd and 4th liners get limited to zero. I can see how he would be missed - but Pancel, he was a 20 + goal scorer...was a north/south type of player but was effective. Makes you wonder on that one.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I wonder if it is because Sudbury is so remote or is it how they promote the draft eligible players.
Two quick things.

1. Sudbury is a five hour drive from the GTA, Russia is a 12 hour flight. Sudbury is not remote when it comes to NHL Draft scouting. I made the trip 3 times this year up to Sudbury, its fairly easy and routine. Scouts are always up in Sudbury, or watching them play in other OHL rinks.

2. Do you honestly think that players need to be promoted to NHL Scouts? Scouts don't care how nice you treat them, their job is to find players that will make the NHL. They need to justify their jobs, so the need to select the prospects that will make the NHL. Sudbury does what Kitchener, London and Windsor do, open the doors at 5pm, lineups and a meal, and an area to watch the game.

Look back at my posts in November regarding Campagna. I mentioned that he showed little growth from his Young National days, and needed to turn it on if he wanted to be drafted. He struggled and was hurt. He just was not good enough, which is why he significantly fell in NHL CS ratings.

Pancel is a perfect example of an OHL player. He's not skilled enough to be a top 6 in the NHL, and isn't big enough to be bottom 6 forward.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:13 AM
newyorker

Quote:
I did as well - Pancel for sure - so that is why I wonder if it is because Sudbury is so remote or is it how they promote the draft eligible players. I read comments made earlier that a player like Campagna did not get played as much as he should have and that is possible. Earlier there was a "who would be 2nd line center" when Kontos was still there. And when coach gives Sgarbossa unlimited ice time and some times, especially down the stretch to win scoring title, he would play 35-45 minutes of the game (Yes, one game he played full 5 minutes on two powerplays in same game), the 2nd line center gets less and 3rd and 4th liners get limited to zero. I can see how he would be missed - but Pancel, he was a 20 + goal scorer...was a north/south type of player but was effective. Makes you wonder on that one.

You guys still haven't figured it out. Sudbury is not a place for players to be recognized or drafted. Gone are the Foligno days, a hockey name people respected. They came to watch cause he asked them to come. Who do scouts want to come see now? No one, why because scouts were watching players like Sgarbossa getting all the ice because the coach had different agenda's. What scout wants to come watch the players in their draft year, when they are reading the signals from the coach that they are not good enough, that's the signal you are sending. Why would players want to come to Sudbury now? If you look at any other organization, no matter how a player looked in his draft year, that coach put them out there for the world to see, it's called promoting. It's not only about the individual player, it's about the overall perspective of the Organization as a whole, the better the Organization looks, the more the players want to come. In Sudbury with this coach you will never see him promote his rookies. It's unreal, and it looks good on the organization. Look at Erie, only 10 wins the whole year, they were dead last in their division, yet they always found ways to promote their players. Who got drafted from Erie, a player who had a record high of minus 72. GO FIGURE !!! His coach didn't give up on him, he put him out there and let him get recognized. Change your mentality when it comes to rookies if you want them to stay more than a couple of years. Build on them, build their confidence, don't give up on them because they had a bad shift or were having a bad day. I wonder what will happen to Baptiste, Silk, and whomever else you have eligible for next year's draft, only time will tell.

You had some good players eligible and couldn't even get one drafted. You should all be patting yourselves on the back. Oh ya, I forgot, the intention this year was to have Sgarbossa win the scoring title. At what cost? I would be surprised if any of those boys return and the ones that have been drafted take a serious look at your options if you want any kind of attention from any scout in the future. I'm so glad that I don't have kids in hockey today. The politics of today's hockey are way too much for me to put up with.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Crottenham

Sounds like a rant by someone with an agenda?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Sounds like a rant by someone with an agenda?
Indeed.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Hockeyfriend

With the CHL imports selected and another goalie in from Bellville, how will the team look come September...lines and defence and goalies. I realize that there might be more trades as they currently will have too many players and too many OA's.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Loosie

Quote:
With the CHL imports selected and another goalie in from Bellville, how will the team look come September...lines and defence and goalies. I realize that there might be more trades as they currently will have too many players and too many OA's.
It certainly sounds like they already have the two Dominik's on a line together. And my guess is Vienneau will be the no 1 with Chartrand as the backup. Or they may even trade Vienneau and go with Chartrand and Dupuis/Laino/Muzyka

Old
06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

We usually have luck with Czechs/Slovaks,
Lusnak was pretty good for us (currently doing well in Slovakia)
Hopefully we develop them properly

Old
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
mobile

Sudbury Goalies Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
It certainly sounds like they already have the two Dominik's on a line together. And my guess is Vienneau will be the no 1 with Chartrand as the backup. Or they may even trade Vienneau and go with Chartrand and Dupuis/Laino/Muzyka
It will most likely be Chartrand / Dupuis / Muzyka just based on experience that Chartrand has in the league . Gotta remember he played behind two very good tenders the last few years.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Miller4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
You guys still haven't figured it out. Sudbury is not a place for players to be recognized or drafted. Gone are the Foligno days, a hockey name people respected. They came to watch cause he asked them to come. Who do scouts want to come see now? No one, why because scouts were watching players like Sgarbossa getting all the ice because the coach had different agenda's. What scout wants to come watch the players in their draft year, when they are reading the signals from the coach that they are not good enough, that's the signal you are sending. Why would players want to come to Sudbury now? If you look at any other organization, no matter how a player looked in his draft year, that coach put them out there for the world to see, it's called promoting. It's not only about the individual player, it's about the overall perspective of the Organization as a whole, the better the Organization looks, the more the players want to come. In Sudbury with this coach you will never see him promote his rookies. It's unreal, and it looks good on the organization. Look at Erie, only 10 wins the whole year, they were dead last in their division, yet they always found ways to promote their players. Who got drafted from Erie, a player who had a record high of minus 72. GO FIGURE !!! His coach didn't give up on him, he put him out there and let him get recognized. Change your mentality when it comes to rookies if you want them to stay more than a couple of years. Build on them, build their confidence, don't give up on them because they had a bad shift or were having a bad day. I wonder what will happen to Baptiste, Silk, and whomever else you have eligible for next year's draft, only time will tell.

You had some good players eligible and couldn't even get one drafted. You should all be patting yourselves on the back. Oh ya, I forgot, the intention this year was to have Sgarbossa win the scoring title. At what cost? I would be surprised if any of those boys return and the ones that have been drafted take a serious look at your options if you want any kind of attention from any scout in the future. I'm so glad that I don't have kids in hockey today. The politics of today's hockey are way too much for me to put up with.
As a parent, if you have an issue with the coach, talk to him. I have found that its the only way to get any kind of feedback.

If you are unhappy with the answer, then pull your kid off the team, simple as that. No one is forcing him to stay there. Our 92 had struggles in the OHL, I didn't run to HFboards to take shots at our coach, I let the kid find his way. Having me or his mom run to his rescue all the time wont help him in the future. Kid has to fight his own battles.

Taking pot shots at coaches anonymously does nothing for you, trust me, I've seen countless parents do it, and never once has it amounted to a thing.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Miller4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile View Post
It will most likely be Chartrand / Dupuis / Muzyka just based on experience that Chartrand has in the league . Gotta remember he played behind two very good tenders the last few years.
Vienneau should start. Hes the best. Outside of that, Chartrand has to be next in line. Dupuis hasn't played outside of the GNML, thats a very big jump.Muzyka played in a AA league (although quite talented), also a long way to go.

Closed Thread