HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eskin says Parenteau is back-up plan

Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
I'd definitely take Parenteau. Yeah, he will probably end up getting a bigger contract than he deserves, but the Flyers could use a pure goalscorer. Especially on the second PP unit, where we have too many playmakers slotted to play. He may not be a defensive stalwart but I think he'd fit well on the Flyers and in Lavi's system. I'd rather have PA than overpay for Ryan or Nash. (Though obviously, Parise would be my first choice)
Parenteau is not a pure goal scorer. At all.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
G Money

vCash: 500
i'd rather offer sheet kane for 5 mil then get this guy

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Mota

I think where the Flyers are right now, they should throw all their weight behind getting Parise. Homer is obviously looking to make a big splash...and Parise is the smartest move...for these 5 reasons.

1.) Parise is a top winger who plays into Lavis style. He can help Giroux and/or provide secondary scoring in case the sophmores on the team slump.

2.) After acquiring Schenn, the Flyers have plenty of money committed to defenders. They can improve on defense even more by adding a solid two way player like Parise who is going to get a lot of ice time in every situation. Adding him and another defensive forward (mcclement?) could really help the team D.

3.) Parise is a UFA, so you don't have to give up assets for him.

4.) To get a top UFA, you have to give a lot of money. A long term deal with a cap hit around 7-7.5 for Parise is worth it more than other players because he is such a complete player. He has plenty of offensive years left, but even after his numbers drop off, he can still contribute in many other ways. He'd be a much safer investment than a lot of other players. Parise has to choose to come here, but the Flyers should offer him a lot of money to persuade him.

5.) If they dont get Parise, someone else in the division might (Pitt, NJD, NYR)...that would be another plus to signing him.

Parise-Giroux-Vorecek
Hartnell-Schenn-Briere
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Talbot-McClement-Wellwood

I think that line up is pretty frightening on all levels.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

People need to realize that Parise is not coming to Philadelphia. He's going to end up in one of three places - Minnesota, Colorado or Pittsburgh. Those three are going hard after him and Minnesota is expected to throw 8+ million at him. Colorado and Pittsburgh are hot for him simply because of he has a lot of friends that play on both teams. The Flyers can't offer Parise what those three teams can offer him.

I think the Flyers have to look at Alexander Semin. The whole Russian thing is completely overrated and this is a guy who wants to be in the NHL. My only concern with Semin isn't him, but his agent, Mark Gandler. The guy is a scum bag that has caused plenty of distractions within every organization he has ever dealt with. If the Flyers are prepared to deal with Gandler (I know when Clarke was GM, after he traded Dimitry Yushkevich, he said he would never trade or draft a player whose agent was Gandler), then Semin really could work here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
All indications here in DC are that Semin is locker room cancer, and is actively a dick to media and fans. I'm convinced signing him in Philly simply wouldn't work.

06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Surprised nobody has mention Andrei Kostitsyn.

A sniper but once again moody player.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
All indications here in DC are that Semin is locker room cancer, and is actively a dick to media and fans. I'm convinced signing him in Philly simply wouldn't work.
Couldn't care less how he is with the media or fans if he plays well. From what I've seen he's less of a cancer and less of a "lazy russian" then hes overblown by people to be. Sure maybe stuff soured in Washington but thats not here. After trading JvR we need a top flight winger, and if Parise isn't available the next best option is Semin.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
People need to realize that Parise is not coming to Philadelphia. He's going to end up in one of three places - Minnesota, Colorado or Pittsburgh. Those three are going hard after him and Minnesota is expected to throw 8+ million at him. Colorado and Pittsburgh are hot for him simply because of he has a lot of friends that play on both teams. The Flyers can't offer Parise what those three teams can offer him.

I think the Flyers have to look at Alexander Semin. The whole Russian thing is completely overrated and this is a guy who wants to be in the NHL. My only concern with Semin isn't him, but his agent, Mark Gandler. The guy is a scum bag that has caused plenty of distractions within every organization he has ever dealt with. If the Flyers are prepared to deal with Gandler (I know when Clarke was GM, after he traded Dimitry Yushkevich, he said he would never trade or draft a player whose agent was Gandler), then Semin really could work here.
If Parise gets $8+ million, and Giroux has another couple 85+ point seasons we're going to have to resign him to 10 years $85 million, 2,000 virgins, a 12% share in Apple, naming rights to the stadium, and Ed Snider's great grandson's first born.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
If Parise gets $8+ million, and Giroux has another couple 85+ point seasons we're going to have to resign him to 10 years $85 million, 2,000 virgins, a 12% share in Apple, naming rights to the stadium, and Ed Snider's great grandson's first born.
He's going to get big money. The Wild are a desperate team and they think Parise is a game changer. That very reason is why he's going to get big bucks. If Dany Heatley got a 7.5 million a year deal, don't be surprised to see Parise get a bigger deal than that.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I also look at Washington during Semin's time and other than maybe Laich and Knuble, this was a team that really lacked leadership that could provide guidance to guys like Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, etc......Semin goes to the Flyers and he's insulated with strong leadership-types like Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Jagr, Talbot, Simmonds, Timonen, Coburn, Grossmann, etc.... A big difference in the environment in Philadelphia when compared to Washington.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Couldn't care less how he is with the media or fans if he plays well. From what I've seen he's less of a cancer and less of a "lazy russian" then hes overblown by people to be. Sure maybe stuff soured in Washington but thats not here. After trading JvR we need a top flight winger, and if Parise isn't available the next best option is Semin.
I don't know...he actively scorns all non-Russian media, and has been a jackass to fans multiple times. After an ex-teammate through him under the bus in the media his one media friend from Sovietsky called into 106.7 to try to defend Semin, and it failed miserably; it was revealed that he only parties with very few people (Russians), that he parties a lot, that he strongly dislikes the press, etc. Combine all of that with his tendency to be terrible for a month at a time and you've got the makings of another Zherdev. I don't deny his talent, but there are other things to consider too; I don't see him fitting in Philly.

Edit: Oh, and I believe one of the criticisms leveled against him by the former teammate was that he didn't work as hard as he should. He basically called him lazy. That won't work with Lavy.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
I don't know...he actively scorns all non-Russian media, and has been a jackass to fans multiple times. After an ex-teammate through him under the bus in the media his one media friend from Sovietsky called into 106.7 to try to defend Semin, and it failed miserably; it was revealed that he only parties with very few people (Russians), that he parties a lot, that he strongly dislikes the press, etc. Combine all of that with his tendency to be terrible for a month at a time and you've got the makings of another Zherdev. I don't deny his talent, but there are other things to consider too; I don't see him fitting in Philly.

Edit: Oh, and I believe one of the criticisms leveled against him by the former teammate was that he didn't work as hard as he should. He basically called him lazy. That won't work with Lavy.
Again, I couldn't care less if he just completely torched Panotch or any of the other jackasses in the Philly media. If they need a good interview tell them to go see Giroux or someone else. Don't care if he parties either hes 20 something year old a millionaire in a different country that speaks a different language. Briere is terrible for months at a time too it doesn't seem to bother many people. If he doesn't work then that's on him and we trade him he will hold a lot of value.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Again, I couldn't care less if he just completely torched Panotch or any of the other jackasses in the Philly media. If they need a good interview tell them to go see Giroux or someone else. Don't care if he parties either hes 20 something year old a millionaire in a different country that speaks a different language. Briere is terrible for months at a time too it doesn't seem to bother many people. If he doesn't work then that's on him and we trade him he will hold a lot of value.

30 second mark.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I don't care much about the media crap. But the problem with Semin is he can be a very soft inconsistent moody player. Flyers are trying to build a hard working culture in the line up. They really don't need that.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Flyers really aren't clamoring for extra scoring. Not too sure where Semin would fit in with this team, doesn't seem like a good fit. Same with Parenteau. If we're going after anyone, go all in on Parise. But not 7.5-8 million all in.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post

30 second mark.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
not a fan of Semin either.
still think they are going to add a forward somehow. Enough of these 1 way guys. i want a guy who can put the puck in the net, but we need more guys who can play a 2 way game

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:40 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post

30 second mark.
ok? What am I looking at

Old
06-26-2012, 12:41 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Timonen can't fight either

Old
06-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Timonen makes up for it by being tenacious on every shift and never giving up on a play. Watch that other video, and see Semin put out zero effort at all...that's the sort of thing that Lavi despises, and which Semin is prone to doing for several games at a time; or half a season, if last year is an indication. We'd have him and his cap hit riding the bench at some point. I'd rather use that money elsewhere. Getting a 4th line center who can win faceoffs would be neat, for instance; then Couturier could be moved up.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Timonen makes up for it by being tenacious on every shift and never giving up on a play. Watch that other video, and see Semin put out zero effort at all...that's the sort of thing that Lavi despises, and which Semin is prone to doing for several games at a time; or half a season, if last year is an indication. We'd have him and his cap hit riding the bench at some point. I'd rather use that money elsewhere. Getting a 4th line center who can win faceoffs would be neat, for instance; then Couturier could be moved up.
My contention exactly. But everyone else seems to think we don't need that... But how many times over the last 2-3 seasons did we lose crucial draws in our own end because we didn't have a solid 4th line guy that we can count in to win faceoffs? The correct answer would be "too many". And anyone hoping that Holmstrom can fill that role is kidding themselves.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
lets trade him then. this is Philadelphia. that is attribute #1 in hockey players around here

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote