HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sylvester: keep Roy, play him on wing

Old
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The only question that should be asked regarding whether they should/shouldn't trade Roy, is whether his attitude and character (and potential issues with lindy), will have a negative affect on the young core being brought up behind.
Which I'd bet money on is also Regier's private concern. He may have downplayed Roy's comments when asked about them but we all know how sensitive and cautious Regier is with regards to the chemistry inside his locker room - not to mention that he won't want any distractions to cause another bad first half of a season. Given his unflinching support of Ruff, it's a high probability that Roy is dealt before opening night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Assuming Grigorenko makes the team, it wouldn't be smart to have him, Ennis and Hodgson as the team's three top-9 centers heading into the season.
People need to stop banking on an 18-year old draft pick, with no professional experience, making the roster right off the bat. If Grigorenko surprises in camp the way Myers did, great - but debates asking which linemates he'll have as if it's a lock for him to take one of the roster spots are premature and foolish IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Which I'd bet money on is also Regier's private concern. He may have downplayed Roy's comments when asked about them but we all know how sensitive and cautious Regier is with regards to the chemistry inside his locker room - not to mention that he won't want any distractions to cause another bad first half of a season. Given his unflinching support of Ruff, it's a high probability that Roy is dealt before opening night.

People need to stop banking on an 18-year old draft pick, with no professional experience, making the roster right off the bat. If Grigorenko surprises in camp the way Myers did, great - but debates asking which linemates he'll have as if it's a lock for him to take one of the roster spots are premature and foolish IMO.
Don't forget that Myers still needed another year in junior after the draft anyway.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
gallagt01

Quote:

I'm not banking on anything. Everyone participating in this thread is operating under the assumption that Grigorenko makes the team (as that's the only reason Roy would be used on the wing, which is what Sylvester suggested).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

Agreed. As exciting as it is that he fell to us and has this great upside, I would much prefer that he develop properly. You have to be ready to succeed and contribute, not just ready to make the team. I woul rather he play a ton, dominate and then come on board next year if he is not 100% ready to contribute this year.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Imlach a cup

I've suggested Roy on the wing before. He can still take face offs at key moments, if someone gets injured you have a top 6 replacement already and the best part in my opinion is he's not playing center and his at times baffling play is less damaging. They tried to move him last year and no one wanted him. He's a capable hockey player and worth considerably more to this organization then scrap metal and spare pucks. If slightly below his value isn't available moving him to wing would be an excellent idea.

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek
Roy - Grigorenko - Pomminville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:45 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Ribeiro is worth Eakin and a 2nd... what is Roy worth? certainly not Bolland or Dubinsky right?
Similar package I would think.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
The main point of debate should be whether or not we keep him and I say yes, for the time being. That is, of course, unless a deal comes along that clearly makes us better short-long term.

Whether or not you move him to wing is basically inconsequential and will depend on who makes the team, other moves made, and how the lines come together.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

It amazes me reading these boards day after day, year after year. Always folowing our Sabres, with you, their true fans.

My point is how can any of you follow the Sabres, for atleast since the lockout and not want a guy like Roy off the team?!?!?!!?

It just amazes me. What team are you really following????? It must not be this failure of a team the last 5 years, and this stinky core that's led it those 5 years. Trade him. Time to move on. Get him completely away from the kids. He's not someone who makes others around him better, and he's not made this team a winner so why keep him?????

Get a 1st and a decent prospect from a contender and move freaking on.....

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Get Pominville away from the kids. Did you not remember the Avs game where he failed to tie his guy up and they scored with 1 second left? Trade him to teach the kids to play til the whistle is blown

The post above is pretty humorous that all those statements apply to Roy and no one else. Guess all our failures the last 5 seasons are Derek Roys fault and no one else.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:49 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Get Pominville away from the kids. Did you not remember the Avs game where he failed to tie his guy up and they scored with 1 second left? Trade him to teach the kids to play til the whistle is blown

The post above is pretty humorous that all those statements apply to Roy and no one else. Guess all our failures the last 5 seasons are Derek Roys fault and no one else.
Wasn't that Mike Weber?

dma0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Vanek-Grigs-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Roy-Hodgson
Gerbe-Girgs-Kaleta

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Vanek-Grigs-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Roy-Hodgson
Gerbe-Girgs-Kaleta
Hodgson won't play on the wing, Grigorenko won't center the top line and Girgensons won't even be on the Sabres.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
It amazes me reading these boards day after day, year after year. Always folowing our Sabres, with you, their true fans.

My point is how can any of you follow the Sabres, for atleast since the lockout and not want a guy like Roy off the team?!?!?!!?

It just amazes me. What team are you really following????? It must not be this failure of a team the last 5 years, and this stinky core that's led it those 5 years. Trade him. Time to move on. Get him completely away from the kids. He's not someone who makes others around him better, and he's not made this team a winner so why keep him?????

Get a 1st and a decent prospect from a contender and move freaking on.....

I think most fans want the right deal, and the right deal might not happen until the 13TDL. It's also going to be interesting to see how many other players work out this season, before deciding what you want in return.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Hodgson won't play on the wing, Grigorenko won't center the top line and Girgensons won't even be on the Sabres.
Flip Roy and Hodgson, Adam did and Grigorenko is better than him, and you might be surprised.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:39 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Flip Roy and Hodgson, Adam did and Grigorenko is better than him, and you might be surprised.
...remind me where Luke Adam ended up, again?

It wasn't good for his development. He was in over his head.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Adam was also 21 yrs old when last season started, not 18.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:50 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
...remind me where Luke Adam ended up, again?

It wasn't good for his development. He was in over his head.
Kind of silly to compare Luke Adam and Mikhail Grigorenko. One was a second round pick with terrible skating while the other is an elite prospect who was #4 in the ISS rankings and is viewed as a future franchise center.

Grigorenko wants to play in the NHL. Kevin Devine says he is NHL ready. Grigorenko was a top 3 prospect virtually all season and fell at the end due to mono and stupid myths (age myth and Russian flight factor myth). Teams who take big chances are ones who win the cup. We need a big center next season, Grigorenko is 6'3 and still may grow a little.

I don't think Grigorenko is the type who will get "ruined" if he plays as an 18 year old. I just think he is far too talented to not make the team, there are NOT 12 forwards better then him in the system. I don't want a Matt Ellis taking away minutes from Grigorenko. We are better off having him up with us then having him play in juniors, he already had a dominant season and has proven he can tear up the Q, let him play with the big club and have him learn from a Vanek or Pominville.

I guess we will see how he performs in the camps, I just do not hope it is a situation where no matter how he does in camp that he is going to be sent back down no matter what to aid his "development". At the very least he needs to get the 9 game tryout, there is no reason to not give him that at least.

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 06-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:56 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

We have four guys left from the so called Rochester Core: Vanek, Roy, Pomms and Miller. If you read my other posts, I'm all for trading Vanek and Roy, as I think the team would be better off in the long term giving the kids a relatively clean slate. I think it is pretty obvious that Ruff has issues with Vanek and now Roy. Roy's comments should've been in house at an exit interview, not something said to the public. Again, obviously, there is some issues there.

With that said, Pominville would be gone with the right deal, and the rumours of Miller to the Ducks, the Edmonton journalist, etc., say Miller could be gone too, or atleast has been discussed. If you believe otherwise, you live in fantasy land.

Now, where did I say I blame Roy for everything????? I didn't. Roy wears a letter, and is looked at as a leader of the team. So since the Captains left, what exactly has Roy done to make the Sabres a contender? I'm not throwing him under the bus here, nor any of the other guys but come on, when the going has gotten tough for the Roch Core, they turtle. They are misssing that "winner mentality." I can't say that about Miller though, as I think loosing sucks to him, and put in a position to win, he has on a big stage (the olympics). Miller has it.

I'm happy Gaustad is gone. I'm happy Hecht is gone. I'm going to be happy when Roy is gone. I see Roy as a more "me first" guy than a team player. I don't see a "me-first" player in Pomms, nor Vanek, which is why I'd get rid of Roy before the start of camp. I think he especially ipitomizes what is wrong with the Sabres, and I see the future in the kids.

SO...get what you can for him and move on, which is why I pimped Vanek for Stastny and Roy for Pirri and a 1st. Keep the good guy Pomms.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

It just amazes me. What team are you really following????? It must not be this failure of a team the last 5 years, and this stinky core that's led it those 5 years. Trade him. Time to move on. Get him completely away from the kids. He's not someone who makes others around him better, and he's not made this team a winner so why keep him????? Get a 1st and a decent prospect from a contender and move freaking on.....
Because most of us are smart enough to realize that our lack of success wasn't caused by Roy. What hurt us was having ONLY Roy as a viable top 6 center and little else the last several years. He also isn't going to be relied upon to the extent he was in the past with Ennis/Hodgson.

Successful teams are well built teams. No matter how good their top center is, they arent winning without a strong team around them. Common sense will tell you that as would looking around the league.

I don't think anyone is against trading Roy. But it has to be done right. It would be incredibly stupid to just dump Roy without another vet top 6 center on the roster.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-25-2012 at 11:16 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Grigs probably needs another year of conditioning in the Q or wherever he's playing. If he was tired from a season in the Q (which was cited as one of the reasons he played poorly in the playoffs along with mono and the ankle problems), there's no way he's going to be able to stand up to the rigors of a NHL season.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Isn't it amazing how little value trade Roy has even though he averages 60+ points a season and has had a relatively cheap contract.

I get the feeling Roy could be having a career year this season and he still wouldn't land you a late first rounder at the trade deadline.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

Old
06-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Imlach a cup

Roy is a cancer and no one will win a cup with him, just like Richards and Carter....

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Roy is a cancer and no one will win a cup with him, just like Richards and Carter....
but instead of groping womens breasts, Roy gets his junk groped by dudes.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
sonnEbunny

Quote:

Myers didn't surprise anyone! He absolutely dominated in his final year of juniors just like Grigorenko did. Grigs has just as much if not more potential than any single person in this draft, including Yakupov. By the way I made that thread and nowhere in it did I say what will his linemates be this year or points. I said in his rookie year meaning whenever he makes the team. I just think it will be this year.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote