HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect from Lars Eller this year ?

Old
06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Lars' summer to-do list :

1. Shoot 1000 pucks every day

I feel like his shot - everything about it, from release to accuracy to velocity - is the main thing holding him back right now. He seems to excel at getting the puck into scoring areas, but he buries so few chances. If he dedicates himself to improving that area of his game, he'll be scoring so much that the fact he can't seem to help himself from inopportune stick infractions won't cost him too much ice-time.
Although it's times like these I wish I watched l'Antichambre more and could remember what Therien's opinion of him, or others, seemed to be.

I'll err of the side of optimism - 23G, 21A.
I like this answer. I saw the same thing with Eller -- a ball of energy that lost its cohesion as he got closer to the net. He needs a boost in confidence and finishing skills to become the player everyone was claiming he could be, which is a strong 2nd or 3rd line center. We didn't make the trade to acquire a fourth-liner. Can he fulfill the high expectations? He definitely made progress last year, but this year should start defining him once and for all. You can only play the "Developing" card so long.

As for his ice time, increased productivity earns increased time and a larger role, as it did with Desharnais last season.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Lars' summer to-do list :

1. Shoot 1000 pucks every day

I feel like his shot - everything about it, from release to accuracy to velocity - is the main thing holding him back right now. He seems to excel at getting the puck into scoring areas, but he buries so few chances. If he dedicates himself to improving that area of his game, he'll be scoring so much that the fact he can't seem to help himself from inopportune stick infractions won't cost him too much ice-time.
Although it's times like these I wish I watched l'Antichambre more and could remember what Therien's opinion of him, or others, seemed to be.

I'll err of the side of optimism - 23G, 21A.
His biggest problem this year seemed to be the rush to shoot. His shot is good, accuracy can improve but overall it's pretty good.
Eller had a lot of scoring chances but he wasn't patient enough. A little more maturity from him will likely help.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
His biggest problem this year seemed to be the rush to shoot. His shot is good, accuracy can improve but overall it's pretty good.
Eller had a lot of scoring chances but he wasn't patient enough. A little more maturity from him will likely help.
He might also be more comfortable with more help around. He doesn't need great scorers around him but real NHLers which wasn't always the case last year. You can't blame a younger player for rushing it when he knows there's nobody worth passing to.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Uwey

Eller should be given every opportunity to become the second line centerman of this team, that is where his skill will be best utilized.

He needs to be given the chance to prove he can develop into that player. In a few years he will be the 2nd pivot behind Yukkie for a great young 1/2 punch for the Habs.

IMO DD is not a key piece to this young core.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The players I have disliked, rarely do anything in the long run, and are usually shipped out of town and forgotten. Sorry I pwned you 10 years ago, and you haven't gotten over it. I didn't realize the Lars Eller Fanboy Club was still this large, looks like I am outnumbered again.

Maybe, because you dislike all the players on the roster since I've reading this site and the team has done majors change in the roster in 2 occasions...

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
The players I have disliked, rarely do anything in the long run, and are usually shipped out of town and forgotten. Sorry I pwned you 10 years ago, and you haven't gotten over it. I didn't realize the Lars Eller Fanboy Club was still this large, looks like I am outnumbered again.

Didn't you like Kovalev ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
No balls, correct.
I'd love to see you separate your shoulder and then go out and play the final 2 games of a playoff series.

Embarrass yourself more please. I love a good laugh

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

One thing about Eller...I thought by the later stages of last year he was playing great defensive hockey.

You put Moen on one wing, and another defensively sound guy with some speed and preferrably some size, and you've got the makings of a hell of a shut down line.

Will he add much to his 28 point total from last year? Like many have mentioned, it's all about linemates and how you get your minutes.

But if he could continue to improve upon his 2 way play, and this would allow Plekx to play more of an offensive (less taxed defensively) role than who the hell cares if Eller gets 28 or 38 points? Because it makes the team better throughout.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't know what to expect of Eller. However, on the basis of his scoring 4 goals in a game I think it's reasonable to say that he hasn't hit his ceiling. (No, that doesn't mean I think he'll have another 4-goal game.)

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
He doesnt get powerplay ice time so I think 50 points is out of reach. Perhaps something like 15-20 goals + 20-25 assists. In between 35 and 45 points is very realistic.

Great player.
If Eller doesn't play on the powerplay is because he is offensively challenged.
He is no natural scoring machine. At best, he will remain a 3rd or 4th line player.
Eventually, he will be traded to make room for a young talent with a greater
upside.
Last...Eller is not a great player...just average at best!!!

phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Didn't you like Kovalev ?
Yep, thought he was a great fit at the time and he produced pretty well in his role. Good support player still at the time, got the fans pumped and gave us a little boost on the PP. I won't pretend I never liked him, and can deal with the haters he had around here.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Subnordi

I'm putting a humble prediction at 112 points, 40 goals, 72 assists, anything less and he should be traded for a 7th

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd love to see you separate your shoulder and then go out and play the final 2 games of a playoff series.

Embarrass yourself more please. I love a good laugh
I played through many a Rugby tournaments with that injury. It has various degrees of separation, and trust me.. if it was severe, he wouldn't of played.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Ghost of Saku

Eller's still young and definitely has second line potential, not to mention the potential to be a special teams beast. Let him fill out his frame more and watch him carefully, he DOES have a mean streak. I love the guy and would love to see him break last season's totals in 2012-13

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:48 PM
ChoseLa

At the same age Plek was puting similar numbers. He turned out, 2 seasons later, to be a top-6 regular and our best center.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I'm a bit surprised, I thought there was many more Lars Eller enthusiasts on this board.

He will form a fantastic 1-2 punch with Galchenyuk in ~four years. Louis Leblanc will have to be moved to the wing, and Plekanec or Desharnais will get traded. Down the road, he will be a 2nd line center. Not a third liner. Here or elsewhere.

He is fantastic along the boards, and he have a nice pair of hands. He just get a bit nervous with the puck, but it seems his mind is 100% focused on hockey - just like DD. He will become a constant 20 goals, 50 points.
I think a few of us are just tired of re-explaining the same old thing to the same usual mouth-breathers. If it isn't in the G/A/TP columns, most just stop reading there anyway . Kid played with scrubs almost the entire year and still managed to pull 16 goals out of his ass.

It's funny, the first year people were on him about passing too much. He decides to start shooting more instead of bouncing pucks off blunden or bourque or whoever and now has no vision or passing ability . Not to mention that he got very little PP time, but still holds the 2nd most P/60 (behind desharnais) and 2nd most g/60 (behind cole) at 5 v 4. It's a small sample, but it was infuriating how Gomez kept getting shoved in there, getting almost 4x as much PP time as Eller despite showing less hustle, tenacity and production. Imagine he had Gomez' PP time, is there anyone here who would really argue that him getting 20 goals or another 10 points would have been improbable?

As for your projection of the lineup in a few years, I already consider Leblanc as 'moved to the wing'. I don't think he has the offensive creativity to dish the puck like Desharnais or Eller do. Love him on the wing, though. As for who gets traded, if Eller continues to progress, I can see him overtaking Pleks as being an ideal 2nd line centre who can eat the tough minutes and still produce, while Galchenyuk Can feast on the 2nd toughest matchups. I would love DD in a Danny Brière role. Lots of PP time, tons of soft minutes with good depth scorers on his wing. He could kill it out there if he keeps improving and we give him the wingers to succeed.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I hope he play 15-16 minutes a game with quality teammates that are at least 3rd liners, also if they give him around 1 minute a game on the PP during the season he could manage 20 goals and 40 + pts IMO.
I see it almost identically.

By his solid two ways play, Eller will give Therrien the opportunity to use Plekanec in a more offensive role. In the current context, I also expect him to play on wings during the PP so 20G/20A is not out of reach.

I wish for 3. Moen – Eller – Gionta.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Stradale

Quote:
I played through many a Rugby tournaments with that injury. It has various degrees of separation, and trust me.. if it was severe, he wouldn't of played.
Oh damn, you are a tough guy then!! If you say Eller has no balls despite playing in the best hockey league in the world, it must be true.

Leave this man alone guys, we have a balls expert here!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Rozz

Quote:
No balls, correct.
..speaking of no balls .. you seem to be an expert on the subject

Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:37 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Hahahaha

Okay.

Keep the laughs coming please.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Some posters seem bitter about life and take it out on random habs players.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Rozz

for our resident expert on toughness, i suggest taking a look at this.. since you admire playing through an injury so much..

http://thereuschblog.com/?tag=lars-eller&paged=2

Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:58 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
for our resident expert on toughness, i suggest taking a look at this.. since you admire playing through an injury so much..

http://thereuschblog.com/?tag=lars-eller&paged=2

Thanks for posting that ROzz, was looking for details but I was looking for "separated" shoulder.

So Eller is so lacking in "balls" that instead of being a tough guy and letting a trainer get it back in he did it himself.

What a pathetic little wimp! LoL

I would think Eller was only able to do lower body working out for a lot of the Summer.

Really excited about what he might be able to do with a full offseason to work out and entering his 3rd NHL season.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:05 AM
coolasprICE

I'd like to see him grow a thick beard for the start of the year.

I want him to have the attitude like ''hey, I'm no longer a preppy Danish kid... I'm here in Montreal to learn french, look like a beast, and score 90 points''.

The rest will come.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Eller will not put up numbers if he's playing a 3rd line role.

I say around 35 points is realistic, maybe 40 if they give him PP time.

I feel this year he will develop into a mean son of a *****. The guy is already quite fearless and pretty damn tough, he just needs someone on his line to mentor him in this respect. I think a White-Eller-Moen line would be absolute hell to play against.

Never forget Eller ripping Briere's stick out of his hands and giving him a stare down that made Briere literally piss himself. We need more of that.

If Eller is given top 6 linemates I say he's capable of 50+ points.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote