HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lavy contract extension soon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
  #26
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,483
vCash: 5500
The Flyers are still the only team who made it to the 2nd round 3 years in a row. When you get to the 2nd round these days, it's basically a free-for-all and every team is just as potent as the other.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
  #27
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
https://twitter.com/waynefish1/statu...21214741954560



Love it. Let the entire team grow together!
awesome news

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  #28
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
awesome news
Everyone realizes that extension=kiss of death, right?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
  #29
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Everyone realizes that extension=kiss of death, right?
no that would be the vote of confidence

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
  #30
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Good good things.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  #31
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Nothing to be really crazed about. Holmgren will dump players with guaranteed contracts...he won't hesitate to fire a coach.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
  #32
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
He never adjusts, he keeps trying the same tactics over and over until we lose.

Hopefully a better performance by our goalie will steal some of those games this time around.
This is hopelessly inaccurate . How many times have you seen the FLYERS make adjustments between periods and come back from 2 or 3 goals down ? Peter Laviolette is not perfect, but he is certainly in the top tier of coaches in the NHL ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
  #33
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
This is hopelessly inaccurate . How many times have you seen the FLYERS make adjustments between periods and come back from 2 or 3 goals down ? Peter Laviolette is not perfect, but he is certainly in the top tier of coaches in the NHL ?
We lose one series to a team that out fore checked us and all of a sudden Laviolette is the Andy Reid of hockey by refusing to change game plan. Insane.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
  #34
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 500
If the Flyers flame out in the first round, do we still go with Lavy? Hard to say.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
  #35
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls
 
RespectTheCouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
We lose one series to a team that out fore checked us and all of a sudden Laviolette is the Andy Reid of hockey by refusing to change game plan. Insane.
Yup, people here want his head, as if there's a **** ton of good to great coaches out there just waiting for their shot, I'm sure all of them will take this to to the promised land Lavy sucks head coach is horrible bad bad!!!11!!!!!!!

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
  #36
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
This is hopelessly inaccurate . How many times have you seen the FLYERS make adjustments between periods and come back from 2 or 3 goals down ? Peter Laviolette is not perfect, but he is certainly in the top tier of coaches in the NHL ?
Many times in the regular season. What other top tier coach is winless in the playoffs the last two years when his team scores less than 4 goals?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
  #37
Broad st phantom
Registered User
 
Broad st phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Many times in the regular season. What other top tier coach is winless in the playoffs the last two years when his team scores less than 4 goals?
lol,

Seriously, all this blame can not be blamed on one person. Lavi's good out weighs his bad. I see no other coach that is free that could be better either. This years playoffs against NJD was a team meltdown, just not the coach. Though I do agree, systemly, we need to focus on a stronger defensive game.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:36 PM
  #38
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
We lose one series to a team that out fore checked us and all of a sudden Laviolette is the Andy Reid of hockey by refusing to change game plan. Insane.
No, this is a very valid complaint. Remember Briere against the Krejci (or Bergeron?) line against Boston two years ago?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
  #39
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Many times in the regular season. What other top tier coach is winless in the playoffs the last two years when his team scores less than 4 goals?
And how many of those games did the Flyers out shoot the opposing team ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
  #40
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
It looks like they will give him another season so lets see if he can make it three straight playoffs with no adjustments when the team is clearly being manhandled.
Do you honestly think that you see **** that Peter Laviolette, professional NHL coach, doesn't. Seriously? Do we think we're that smart or he's that dumb? The issue isn't an inability on his part to recognize proper tactical adjustments. If this were the case he wouldn't have such a stellar record of this team scoring after his time outs.

The issue is that he can't make on ice decisions and the forwards are young. The personnel still has to execute his system with good judgement. When you're playing as aggressive a system as Laviolette's, it really puts a lot of responsibility on the players to make the correct decisions in some close situations on the ice.

Experienced players flourish when you hand them that much freedom. Young players press a lot, and end up scoring and allowing a lot of goals. Let the players get a little more experienced with in his system. Once that happens you're going to see them better able to implement on the fly coaching changes, and make some of their own moment-to-moment adjustments before Laviolette even has to say anything.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:41 PM
  #41
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Many times in the regular season. What other top tier coach is winless in the playoffs the last two years when his team scores less than 4 goals?
what other playoff team has got the **** goaltending this team has in the last 2 years in the playoffs?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
  #42
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what other playoff team has got the **** goaltending this team has in the last 2 years in the playoffs?
It doesn't help that all the other team has got to do is cycle the puck against us and they will have a guy wide open in front of the net for a tip in.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
  #43
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
It doesn't help that all the other team has got to do is cycle the puck against us and they will have a guy wide open in front of the net for a tip in.
yeah that was obviously the case when we rolling out Michael ****ing Leighton and Brian Boucher.
Maybe we can go 3 straight years of having a goaltender that gave up a goal that wasnt his fault

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:16 AM
  #44
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
And how many of those games did the Flyers out shoot the opposing team ?
What does that have to do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
lol,

Seriously, all this blame can not be blamed on one person. Lavi's good out weighs his bad. I see no other coach that is free that could be better either. This years playoffs against NJD was a team meltdown, just not the coach. Though I do agree, systemly, we need to focus on a stronger defensive game.
One or two games it's an anomaly, four to six is a trend, 0-13 is a problem and it falls on the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what other playoff team has got the **** goaltending this team has in the last 2 years in the playoffs?
Yeah, it's all because of the goalie.


Last edited by SnS: 06-25-2012 at 10:33 AM.
35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
  #45
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
I love how people harp on Laviolette. Nobody complained when he coached the team to the finals. Nobody had a problem with his "system" and that everyone pointed the finger at the everything else as the cause of the team not winning the Stanley Cup. Now that it's two years removed from the Stanley Cup final run, all of a sudden, Laviolette forgot how to coach. The season before, the goaltending couldn't hold up to the Bruins. This past season, injuries caught up. Now, Laviolette is the world's worst coach and this team can't play, etc......

So, for all of you clamoring for a defensive minded coach, look at what happened to St.Louis, a team with a notorious defensive minded coach. They won in the first round, but in the second round, they provided ZERO offense. In that series, the "game plan" didn't change either. So, let's talk about "defensive" coaches then. People say Sutter's a defensive coach, but last time I checked, he wants his guys to score and Los Angeles certainly did a great job of scoring goals. They scored almost three goals a game, but gave up only 1.5 goals per game. Sounds like the perfect blend there.....kind of like the year the Flyers made it to the finals under Laviolette.

There's not much that needs to change in Philadelphia. So, I don't see why they need to lock down the fort in order to win. It's not needed. Playing a strict defensive system DOESN'T win championships. You need to score as well......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
  #46
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I love how people harp on Laviolette. Nobody complained when he coached the team to the finals. Nobody had a problem with his "system" and that everyone pointed the finger at the everything else as the cause of the team not winning the Stanley Cup. Now that it's two years removed from the Stanley Cup final run, all of a sudden, Laviolette forgot how to coach. The season before, the goaltending couldn't hold up to the Bruins. This past season, injuries caught up. Now, Laviolette is the world's worst coach and this team can't play, etc......

So, for all of you clamoring for a defensive minded coach, look at what happened to St.Louis, a team with a notorious defensive minded coach. They won in the first round, but in the second round, they provided ZERO offense. In that series, the "game plan" didn't change either. So, let's talk about "defensive" coaches then. People say Sutter's a defensive coach, but last time I checked, he wants his guys to score and Los Angeles certainly did a great job of scoring goals. They scored almost three goals a game, but gave up only 1.5 goals per game. Sounds like the perfect blend there.....kind of like the year the Flyers made it to the finals under Laviolette.

There's not much that needs to change in Philadelphia. So, I don't see why they need to lock down the fort in order to win. It's not needed. Playing a strict defensive system DOESN'T win championships. You need to score as well......
I don't want to see a "lock down the fort" style of play, just a more defensive oriented system. The current system sells tickets, jerseys, and wins quite a bit in the regular season.

The playoff results the last two years......that's a different story.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
  #47
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
I don't want to see a "lock down the fort" style of play, just a more defensive oriented system. The current system sells tickets, jerseys, and wins quite a bit in the regular season.

The playoff results the last two years......that's a different story.
Can't make the cup finals every year...

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:25 PM
  #48
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Can't make the cup finals every year...
It's about the style of play, and what wins playoff games. Whoopde dam doo, we made the finals. Yay!!!

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:49 PM
  #49
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
I don't want to see a "lock down the fort" style of play, just a more defensive oriented system. The current system sells tickets, jerseys, and wins quite a bit in the regular season.

The playoff results the last two years......that's a different story.
Once again, when they made it to the Stanley Cup finals, they executed Laviolette's plan perfectly. The forwards backchecked and knew their positioning. The defense held forwards outside of the crease. The only problem was that the goaltending was badly exposed when they got to the finals.

Fast forward two seasons and you've got 7 rookies in the lineup and a slew of injuries by the time the second round hit. The fact that Laviolette had the team upright is a miracle in it's own.

I expect that the rookies are only going to be better this year because they know the system. They'll tighten up defensively and when they do, they're going to be incredibly tough to beat. This is a team that's got some growing to do, but the defensive side will come together. We all knew this coming into this past season was that they might take a step back in order to move forward. Well, they were competitive and they played well considering. I think the team that's under construction right now is going to have a good solid defensive group with a solid offensive cast and a game breaker or two.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:35 AM
  #50
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Once again, when they made it to the Stanley Cup finals, they executed Laviolette's plan perfectly. The forwards backchecked and knew their positioning. The defense held forwards outside of the crease. The only problem was that the goaltending was badly exposed when they got to the finals.

Fast forward two seasons and you've got 7 rookies in the lineup and a slew of injuries by the time the second round hit. The fact that Laviolette had the team upright is a miracle in it's own.

I expect that the rookies are only going to be better this year because they know the system. They'll tighten up defensively and when they do, they're going to be incredibly tough to beat. This is a team that's got some growing to do, but the defensive side will come together. We all knew this coming into this past season was that they might take a step back in order to move forward. Well, they were competitive and they played well considering. I think the team that's under construction right now is going to have a good solid defensive group with a solid offensive cast and a game breaker or two.
Ah, the rookie excuse. What about 2010-11 when we barely beat Buffalo, and got stomped by the Bruins? You didn't mention that year.

What about 0-13 the last two playoff years when scoring less than 4 goals? How are we gonna win a cup when we can't win low scoring, tightly contested playoff style games?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.