HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
  #701
aquablue
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Why is McPhee averse to hiring a coach with NHL experience? Simple question. I'm baffled, I really am. This is too much. Enough with rookie coaches on a team that is supposed to be contending.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
  #702
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,709
vCash: 888
This board is funny: Ahhh that guy ****ing sucks he [post his NHL experience]!

Ahhh that ****ing guy sucks too, hes never been an NHL coach!

Name one NHL coach you guys want?

Who the **** predicted DeBoer being the coach of a team that makes it to the SCF, especially after the Florida series?

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  #703
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 500
Anyone know the coaching styles of Oates/Haviland/Cooper?

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
  #704
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why is McPhee averse to hiring a coach with NHL experience? Simple question. I'm baffled, I really am. This is too much. Enough with rookie coaches on a team that is supposed to be contending.

He is a control freak. He doesn't want anyone who knows more about the NHL than he does because Ted might, though I doubt it, Ted might grasp that George isn't good enough.

I think it's all in "The Prince" by Machiavelli.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:49 PM
  #705
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why is McPhee averse to hiring a coach with NHL experience? Simple question. I'm baffled, I really am. This is too much. Enough with rookie coaches on a team that is supposed to be contending.
Where are getting that he's averse to a guy with NHL experience?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
  #706
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Where are getting that he's averse to a guy with NHL experience?
Assume he's basing it on the clear track record of no NHL HC experience.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:57 PM
  #707
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Assume he's basing it on the clear track record of no NHL HC experience.
And it's nothing more than conjecture.

Correlation =/= causation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
  #708
aquablue
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And it's nothing more than conjecture.

Correlation =/= causation.
Yawn. Ok, Mr. Scientist, whatever you say.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:10 AM
  #709
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yawn. Ok, Mr. Scientist, whatever you say.
Yawn.

Make assumptions for the sole purpose of taking potshots at the GM, get called out for it, and then misdirect. Well done.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
  #710
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yawn. Ok, Mr. Scientist, whatever you say.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:14 AM
  #711
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,640
vCash: 500

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:17 AM
  #712
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,428
vCash: 50
A lot of what is posted here, is conjecture. This is not a legal case.

All indications are pointing towards yet another hire with no NHL experience.

While I don't think its THE key to a cup, I do think it would be nice to have a coach in place that has experience utilizing and dealing with all world offensive talents. Motivating the fat cats, players set in their ways, not interested in defense; integrating them into a winning system. All the while meeting expectations from the owner and fans to provide an entertaining product.

The most I expect is a former player that may have been like that, or had teammates like that, and saw how coaches dealt with it.

Enter Adam Oates.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:27 AM
  #713
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry
 
XDC-RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yawn. Ok, Mr. Scientist, whatever you say.
Wow.

Correlation does not equal causation. He is absolutely right. Don't get all upset because he brought reason and logic to an argument.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:53 AM
  #714
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,464
vCash: 500
question. how long as it been since a cup winning coach won a second one? how long since a cup winning coach won a second one or more with a different team than he won the first with?

scotty bowman?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
  #715
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,428
vCash: 50
To me, its not a cup ring. A simple injury could have prevented a fine coach from not getting a cup.

The key to me is having managed NHL stars, without Cassidying.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
  #716
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry
 
XDC-RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
To me, its not a cup ring. A simple injury could have prevented a fine coach from not getting a cup.

The key to me is having managed NHL stars, without Cassidying.
I agree with you. I'm hoping for a guy with experience at the NHL level too, but I don't think GMGM has deeply rooted objections to the notion of hiring one. Nor do I think that he is such a control freak, or is so egotistical, that he must be more knowledgeable than the coach he hires (as someone proposed).

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:45 AM
  #717
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
question. how long as it been since a cup winning coach won a second one? how long since a cup winning coach won a second one or more with a different team than he won the first with?

scotty bowman?
Yes and yes. Bowman with PIT in 1992 after leaving MTL (and in '97/'98/'02 with DET).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
  #718
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,428
vCash: 50
While I may at times imply its a walk in the park to be an NHL coach since hockey is such a simple game, managing stars cannot be easy at all. They are paid. They have little incentive to bust their humps in the regular season. They own the room, and the fans.

Will they (ok Ovi) give their all and do what you say, or not. If not, then what? I hope George learned he can't just sit back, and let it set the team back for 5 years.

What is best for Ovi. A players coach, friends with the players, a warm and fuzzy time for all? Dale tried the Bowman route - related to Ovi... I think Dale had decent results. Ovi scored his goals in very limited TOI. Put hate and boredom aside, how did Dale do managing Ovi? While I wanted ENG chances and more TOI, he still got decent production from him. And humbled him, taught him D doesn't stand for Drink time! maybe paved the way for the next coach to have it easier. Maybe??

Someone in between is probably best. But then you walk a fine line.

The new coach, it may be more than about experience, resume, all that crap. It's, what is he going to do with Ovi?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
  #719
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Wow.

Correlation does not equal causation. He is absolutely right. Don't get all upset because he brought reason and logic to an argument.
Best part was "Mr. Scientist." What? He may have outdone CCF with that post.

It's pretty interesting that coaches haven't won with multiple teams. Is part of it because winning coaches tend to be fired less and therefore not have as many jobs in the first place?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  #720
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,811
vCash: 500
I just think it means it's damn hard to win the Cup. You need just the right mix of players, luck, and system.

You do see plenty of retread coaches winning the Cup, though. Sutter, Quenneville, Julien, etc.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
  #721
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry
 
XDC-RES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I just think it means it's damn hard to win the Cup. You need just the right mix of players, luck, and system.

You do see plenty of retread coaches winning the Cup, though. Sutter, Quenneville, Julien, etc.
Yes indeed! I think a few around here lose sight of this fact when coming down as hard as they do on players, coaches, etc sometimes.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
  #722
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
On a lighter note, is anyone else freaked out by the supremely unnatural color of Oates' hair? I don't know if I could handle 41+ games of it behind the bench on TV.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
  #723
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,464
vCash: 500
my take is that it has to be one of two things as to why the caps hire non nhl veteran coaches. its either leonsis budget allowance won't allow for hiring a successful established coach or mcphee is looking for a coach with a new approach.

cassidy and hanlon were all about budget, i am convinced. boudreau was about his record as he was hired as an actual temp replacement. hunter again was hired as a temp as far as i can tell.

now? is ted skimping on the coaching budget? i would not be surprised. but who knows.
its a certain pattern of preference

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:15 AM
  #724
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,567
vCash: 500
I would be incredibly surprised if the coaching search had anything to do with money. In fact, I find the idea ludicrous.

Is there any data available on coaching salaries? I'dbe shocked if the highest paid coach exceeds $3 million. And I'd imagine the lowest paid guys are around $500k. That spread isn't so much as a hill of beans in the annual operating budget of an NHL franchise.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
  #725
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I would be incredibly surprised if the coaching search had anything to do with money....
I agree, during the Cassidy period, believe, now, would be very very surprised.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.