HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline skating: help or hurt ice skating skills?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
It really is different. I don't bother trying to stop, I just try to work on hands with inline skates.

Keeping my head up, looking anywhere but down. Skating back and forward trying to keep the puck around me.

That should transition over to ice just fine.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 AM
izzy3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
this is a non-rockered setup, and the normal stride is pretty much the same, however I do find that crossovers and tight turns to be slightly different...
I give the edge to the tight turns to my holder which has the rear wheel (an 80mm recessed a bit) but I have no other option to rocker my skates
You can build a rocker in any setup. In fact, if you train for ice you SHOULD do it, otherwise you'll lose the necessity to balance back and forth, and it will feel different to skate as you already realize.

I even built a rocker in a stupid Bauer OneUp chassis. Take your skates to your hockey shop and try the different sizes of wheels until you have the rocker you shoot for. Usually one size down on the 1st and 4th wheel from the originally installed wheels will do, but you might have other preferences.

Oh and as Wilch suggested, do not even practice stops on roller (except of course if you want to play league), it will screw with your head on the ice (yes, I made that mistake).

Last edited by izzy3: 06-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.
izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
You can build a rocker in any setup. In fact, if you train for ice you SHOULD do it, otherwise you'll lose the necessity to balance back and forth, and it will feel different to skate as you already realize.

I even built a rocker in a stupid Bauer OneUp chassis. Take your skates to your hockey shop and try the different sizes of wheels until you have the rocker you shoot for. Usually one size down on the 1st and 4th wheel from the originally installed wheels will do, but you might have other preferences.

Oh and as Wilch suggested, do not even practice stops on roller (except of course if you want to play league), it will screw with your head on the ice (yes, I made that mistake).
I have the Oneup holder and it is a 74 74 mm for the first two, an 80 and a 78

I'm thinking you're right and I need to at least change the first and last wheel

what did you go with for a normal ice hockey skate setup?

man, I went to play today (shinny) and it took 5-10 minutes to not bounce up and down (pushing out properly, especially on crossovers) and getting confidance stopping...
WTH

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:06 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
what did you go with for a normal ice hockey skate setup?

man, I went to play today (shinny) and it took 5-10 minutes to not bounce up and down (pushing out properly, especially on crossovers) and getting confidance stopping...
WTH
No clue on the wheel sizes. I went to my LHS and let the guys mess around with it until it gave a good rocker. I will try to find the invoice, and let you know.

Yeah, first time back on the ice, especially from a normal roller setup with the wheels all alligned is always a pain. But if you use a rockered set, and do this transition a few times it will get easier. I play roller maybe once a month in the summer, with 2 ice sessions weekly, and have no problem changing, but I do not use the roller stop anymore to keep my head straight.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quick question: Why do people take a wheel in the middle out? I see a lot of people rolling with 3 wheels on an inline skate.
[ ]
O OO

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:50 AM
gogoblackandgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Quick question: Why do people take a wheel in the middle out? I see a lot of people rolling with 3 wheels on an inline skate.
[ ]
O OO
Some people buy new wheels that are too big to fit on their skates so they can only wear three at a time.

gogoblackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
[ ]
O OO
I've seen it to where people's chassis are bent from blocking a shot and it won't pry it.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Guffaw

I would say it depends on what your options are. If you can't get ice time but once or twice a week then inline will help you get in shape, train many of the same muscles etc. However the mechanics are different ie. different rocker, stopping, transitioning.

I purposely do not own inline skates. I want to become a better ice hockey player so I play ice hockey only.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote