HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Official Detroit Red Wing Draft Class of 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  #76
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i think it's more about injuries for marchenko. unlike many other, i don't consider the KHL or being russian a problem.
good players still get want to play in the NHL due to money and credibility.

if marchenko can stay healthy and he's as talented as some scouts said a while back, then he's an exciting prospect.
In his draft year it was his injury that kept him from being drafted. He was actually pretty highly ranked (#12 Euro by CS) but had his spleen removed which along with being Russian kept teams away from picking him. It wasn't even sure that he could continue playing hockey. Then the next year he was an overager(ranked #25 Euro) and the Wings picked him up in the last round. Nikolai Vakourov, the Wings' Russian scout, said that he wants to play 2 seasons in Russia and then come over.

His last season was pretty badly hurt by the knee injury that kept him out for 4 months but he still got back in to the KHL lineup after it. I saw him play a couple of times after coming back and he didn't look too bad considering he was out for quite a while. He was solid in his own end and seemed to have recovered well since his skating was strong and he showed some offence as well. He does need to bulk up quite a bit and play a full&healthy KHL season to properly get used to the pro game. He has obvious potential and the only questionmark is the health, as you said.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  #77
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,749
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
^^

I forgot about the spleen issue.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  #78
Fader
Registered User
 
Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dF_P...layer_embedded

You guys will enjoy this dangle fest by Marty Frk. Ive watched him the last 2 years, If he stays motivated he could become a Great NHL player.

Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
  #79
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,321
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dF_P...layer_embedded

You guys will enjoy this dangle fest by Marty Frk. Ive watched him the last 2 years, If he stays motivated he could become a Great NHL player.
Hope the kid doesn't hurt himself celebrating, clearly enjoys scoring his goals. Interesting to note and I know it is a highlight clip, but not too many people catching him or staying anywhere near him speed wise which is always pointed out as a concern with him. He also seems to be one of those rare guys that plays as fast or even faster once the puck is actually on his stick in my limited viewings of him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  #80
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Hope the kid doesn't hurt himself celebrating, clearly enjoys scoring his goals. Interesting to note and I know it is a highlight clip, but not too many people catching him or staying anywhere near him speed wise which is always pointed out as a concern with him. He also seems to be one of those rare guys that plays as fast or even faster once the puck is actually on his stick in my limited viewings of him.
Yup, people knock his skating, which is fair, but he seems to have an extra gear on the rush with puck. It's not as bad as some make it out to be... And conditioning over the summer will go a long way. I guess he had to skate fast to catch up to MacKinnon

Skip to 0:10, and 3:17 reminds me just how disgusting he is with the puck

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
  #81
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 528
Martin Frk will be our replacement for Semin, when he leaves the Wings, if ever leaves...

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:53 PM
  #82
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-luIjHy68U&feature=plcp

He may be missing the net, but this is the laser I was mentioning...

Oh and this dangle at 0:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-luIjHy68U&feature=plcp

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:10 AM
  #83
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,321
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post


He may be missing the net, but this is the laser I was mentioning...

Oh and this dangle at 0:22
I do wish he hit the net more often

Also was the same video URL for both but went ahead and embedded it for you.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:15 AM
  #84
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I do wish he hit the net more often

Also was the same video URL for both but went ahead and embedded it for you.
Thanks... And oh damn... Well the second video was his highlight real goal against Shawinigan.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
  #85
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,321
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Thanks... And oh damn... Well the second video was his highlight real goal against Shawinigan.
Guessing you mean this one



funny cause he fans on the shot. But it is interesting I keep reading about his skating and I know it will become a bigger factor as he progresses. It may look ugly but it is fast and he is rarely not seen separating from defenders. He is hunched over funny, but his speed is much better than those using Pulkkinen as a comparison.

Looks like he likes to do damage against the recent Memorial Cup winners.


The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:09 AM
  #86
Zorin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
What I think with every word I read about Bodin:

Give Homer a new job as a coach, send him over and have him work with that guy for 2 years. Hand him the keys to his office, show him what do do, teach him how to work on tip-ins and stuff.

He may not have Lidström to shoot the puck for the tips. But imagin a 6'6'' or even 6'7'' 240-250 lbs Homer that can actually SKATE! That is a wet dream! He could play a reagular shift on the Top-6 and be a beast on the PP! I mean... Homer was never a big talent. He had no hands, shot, skating and limited hockey sense coming over. And he carved out a pretty decent carreer on work ethic and PP-prowess.

Now Imagine Bodin in that role. That is A LOT of shadow falling on a goale even as big as Rinne or so. He could be a beast in the corners and learn to backcheck cause he can move his ass there quick enough. Even if he ends up at just 50% of what Homer was in terms of tips he could still be head and shoulders the better player - and that says a lot about prime-time Homer! When I read Hakans reports on his work-ethic he can learn that game. Perhaps he can learn to fight once in a while and become a punishing hitter and forechecker as well. That would be one hell of a package!

May not have all the best odds to happen, but it would be one hell of a steal! And that work ethic-thing seperates him from all the other guys like Ryno, HTD or Löfberg big time!

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:33 AM
  #87
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I thought the only serious injury came after he was drafted, though? I noticed that the comments about Marchenko have been toned down a bit on RWC, they now portray him almost as a Bykov Deluxe, though I'm not sure why they've toned it down. Yeah, he was injured, but the tools are still there.
Just curious, what were the comments at RWC that were toned down? The last article I saw on Marchenko was pretty positive, and then he moved up from being unranked to #20 on the final prospect tanking, with the comment, "A forgotten man earlier this season, Marchenko battled back from a tough knee injury and finished the season strong with CSKA Moscow’s junior team. The Red Wings think highly of the final-round pick but he needs to stay healthy for a full season."

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:41 AM
  #88
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
What I think with every word I read about Bodin:

Give Homer a new job as a coach, send him over and have him work with that guy for 2 years. Hand him the keys to his office, show him what do do, teach him how to work on tip-ins and stuff.

He may not have Lidström to shoot the puck for the tips. But imagin a 6'6'' or even 6'7'' 240-250 lbs Homer that can actually SKATE! That is a wet dream! He could play a reagular shift on the Top-6 and be a beast on the PP! I mean... Homer was never a big talent. He had no hands, shot, skating and limited hockey sense coming over. And he carved out a pretty decent carreer on work ethic and PP-prowess.

Now Imagine Bodin in that role. That is A LOT of shadow falling on a goale even as big as Rinne or so. He could be a beast in the corners and learn to backcheck cause he can move his ass there quick enough. Even if he ends up at just 50% of what Homer was in terms of tips he could still be head and shoulders the better player - and that says a lot about prime-time Homer! When I read Hakans reports on his work-ethic he can learn that game. Perhaps he can learn to fight once in a while and become a punishing hitter and forechecker as well. That would be one hell of a package!

May not have all the best odds to happen, but it would be one hell of a steal! And that work ethic-thing seperates him from all the other guys like Ryno, HTD or Löfberg big time!
That sounds a master plan. We need an updated Homer 2.0 for the future to battle against those monster goalies!

Homer was only 6'0 tall, so getting this 6'6 guy to his role, would be freaking great. I think the goalie's average height hasn't gone 6 inches up in the latest years, so in theory, he could be even better than Homer was against smaller goalies on his "golden era".


***


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1OmS3nxWRs

Quite of fun video about Frk at the dentist.


Last edited by Henkka: 06-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
  #89
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
"Red Wings' top pick Martin Frk wants to be power forward who can crash and bang as well as score"


http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._wings_70.html

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:08 AM
  #90
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,749
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Just curious, what were the comments at RWC that were toned down? The last article I saw on Marchenko was pretty positive, and then he moved up from being unranked to #20 on the final prospect tanking, with the comment, "A forgotten man earlier this season, Marchenko battled back from a tough knee injury and finished the season strong with CSKA Moscow’s junior team. The Red Wings think highly of the final-round pick but he needs to stay healthy for a full season."
I'm misremembering where I read comments about the kid. I thought RWC initially sounded higher on him rather than a stay-at-home guy who can produce, and that his profile comments and strengths were dialed back a bit from when he was drafted. I remember reading him being talked about a top4 guy with AS level ceiling. RWC has always been a bit more guarded than that I see.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:23 AM
  #91
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'm misremembering where I read comments about the kid. I thought RWC initially sounded higher on him rather than a stay-at-home guy who can produce, and that his profile comments and strengths were dialed back a bit from when he was drafted. I remember reading him being talked about a top4 guy with AS level ceiling. RWC has always been a bit more guarded than that I see.
I think he's more of a two-way d-man than a stay-at-home guy and he's got top4 upside. Very useful in all situations, much like Ouellet and Bäckman for example.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
  #92
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
"Red Wings' top pick Martin Frk wants to be power forward who can crash and bang as well as score"


http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._wings_70.html
Well that's the type of player he already is in junior, so I hope he can translate that to the big league. And as he said not a typical euro.

And yes that video of Frk at the dentist was about 3 months after he came over, when he could hardly speak english lol

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
  #93
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'm misremembering where I read comments about the kid. I thought RWC initially sounded higher on him rather than a stay-at-home guy who can produce, and that his profile comments and strengths were dialed back a bit from when he was drafted. I remember reading him being talked about a top4 guy with AS level ceiling. RWC has always been a bit more guarded than that I see.
Ah. Yeah, I remember reading those lofty comments too, and I also don't remember where they came from originally

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:04 PM
  #94
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Here's an interview with Mike McKee: http://detroitsportsnation.com/offwi...medium=twitter

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
  #95
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
The thing i remember reading about Marcenko was something like, he's strong as an ox, he's a natural leader, and he wants to come to North America.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
  #96
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,321
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Here's an interview with Mike McKee: http://detroitsportsnation.com/offwi...medium=twitter

This kid really impresses me in our limited viewings thus far. Seems to have a great head on his shoulders and a plan with his work ethic that really makes me believe he will pan out.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  #97
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
This kid really impresses me in our limited viewings thus far. Seems to have a great head on his shoulders and a plan with his work ethic that really makes me believe he will pan out.
Goni the NCAA route is perfect for him. At that size and with his experience, not fighting for a few years wont make him lose that side of his game but he will develop better in other areas.

Hes also going to get a tonne of strength training in the weight room and may put on even more bulk, which is crazy to think of honestly. There are very few NHLers with his size and he just got drafted.

I read on the prospects section, a poster said all Lincoln did was goon it up so Mckee didnt get to show a lot of skill. But he has a very good shot and is a very impressive skater (said the poster) while not in the box

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:21 PM
  #98
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
I have a bad feeling this is going to be a real unproductive draft class, but I hope I am wrong. Only player we drafted that I feel good about is Frk.
agree. 2010 and 2011 drafts i liked much more.

only of these players i have seen is frk, but it seems like a weak group to me. frk could become similar to franzen, though.

there was a big thread about frk in the prospects section. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=739177
there are quite a lot of negative comments, including by writers and fans of halifax (frk's team).


hockey sense is very important, but it looks like most or all of these players have been criticized for lacking hockey sense or not having much. i know athanasiou and frk have been, and that also seems to be true of mckee and bodin.


de haas is one of the more interesting to me b/c a 2011 hockey news report of a prospects game seems to indicate he may be a fairly smart player with some upside.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-showcase.html

but de haas could also just be a taller meech.


it may be better for mckee to switch back to F and become a physical checking W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
6'6 would probably be the biggest/tallest forward in the nhl if you don't count in-and-outers like 6'7 john scott...
brian boyle is 6'7.

bodin may become taller, though.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:35 PM
  #99
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Goni the NCAA route is perfect for him. At that size and with his experience, not fighting for a few years wont make him lose that side of his game but he will develop better in other areas.

Hes also going to get a tonne of strength training in the weight room and may put on even more bulk, which is crazy to think of honestly. There are very few NHLers with his size and he just got drafted.

I read on the prospects section, a poster said all Lincoln did was goon it up so Mckee didnt get to show a lot of skill. But he has a very good shot and is a very impressive skater (said the poster) while not in the box
Yeah I agree completely. He will get good coaching at WMU which is important for a guy who recently switched to defense. He'll get stronger too and I don't see how he'll lose his feistiness playing college hockey.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
  #100
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Here's an interview with Mike McKee: http://detroitsportsnation.com/offwi...medium=twitter
Thanks for posting! Favorite hockey player is Scott Stevens.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.