HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hab Prospects' comparisons

Old
06-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Hab Prospects' comparisons

Compare our '12 Hab prospects to NHL players.
(based on what you've seen from them and read).
I know some Hab fans here hate comparing prospects to NHLers...that's ok, but this is for those who like comparisons.

Please add your own comparisons...

Galchenyuk:
J.Toews, Malkin, M.Hossa

Collberg:
Jeff Skinner, Alfredsson

Thrower:
Bieksa

Bozon:
Dominic Moore??? (just throwing that out there! I have no idea!)

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Compare our '12 Hab prospects to NHL players.
(based on what you've seen from them and read).
I know some Hab fans here hate comparing prospects to NHLers...that's ok, but this is for those who like comparisons.

Galchenyuk:
J.Toews, M.Hossa

Collberg:
Jeff Skinner, Alfredsson

Thrower:
Bieksa

Bozon:
Dominic Moore??? (just throwing that out there!)
love the hossa , toews comparisons, i even see a bit of malkin in him, i reallyy do, and im not alone in that sentiment, i know we all WANT him to be the next malkin, but you definately see in his drive, a potential superstar and the best part is MOST if not ALL of the footage on him is of him at SIXTEEN, which is mindblowing and people dont give enough credit for

for collberg, ...listen, id LOVE for him to develop into a alfredsson type of player, an amazing 2 way player, but i think the skinner comparison is absolutely DEAD on...hes a HELL of a player, and hopefully collbergs love of ovechkin play makes him and even better player/prospect

for thrower? listen , if even he comes close to bieksa, ..its just win win... i missed the hfboards live when we were drafting in the 2nd round..but i revisited...and i swear...were at 33, and i see people HOPING we take thrower with that pick.. (ended up with collberg, OH NO!! ) and miraculously ended up with thrower in the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, ..and honestly, ..i had a feeling like weve somehow unjustifyably completely forgotten about beaulieu, tinordi and ellis... but thrower could be a STUD and its an honor to have him part of the team, as much as he said it was an honor to be apart of the habs, its truly a pleasure to see him apart of us after many of the HF faithful before the draft were mentioning just how good this guy could be if we took a flyer on him... but most of them said we had NO shot, potential late first round early 2nd..and miraculously turns into a late 2nd for us...absolute steal

and i honestly cannot believe bozon went that far...putting up THOSE numbers in the WHL of all places as a ROOKIE, gotta be kidding me.

im thrilled with the first 4 picks!!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Saopolo123

From what I read and see on youtube :

Galchenyuk - Toews, Malkin

Collberg - Alfredsson, Skinner

Thrower - Bieksa, James Wisnewski (a bit)

Bozon - Michael Ryder

Hudon - Briere, Roy

Nystrom - I don't know much about him

This draft year is awesome, look in 2-3 years !

Last edited by Saopolo123: 06-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Saopolo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Bulis hit

Galchenyuk - Ryan Getzlaf (probably uses his shot more and slightly less of a playmaker)

Collberg - Milan Hejduk

Thrower - Bieksa is a fine comparison. Shouldn't expect quite as high a ceiling, but we never know.

Bozon - Michael Ryder

Hudon - To make it, he'll need to have Desharnais' motivation IMO. He seems to play the game like him.

Nystrom - Who knows really.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saopolo123 View Post
From what I read and see on youtube :

Galchenyuk - Toews, Malkin

Collberg - Alfredsson, Skinner

Thrower - Bieksa, James Wisnewski (a bit)

Bozon - Mike Ribeiro (with more size)

Hudon - Briere, Roy

Nystrom - I don't know much about him

This draft year is awesome, look in 2-3 years !
I do not see that at all about Bozon

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I do not see that at all about Bozon
Agreed....there are no similarities whatsoever.

Ribeiro is an undersized, playmaking center and Bozon is a 6'1 sniping winger.

The Galchenyuk/malkin comparisons are silly also. Malkin is alot bigger and significantly faster than Galchenyuk. Malkin has also battled serious work ethic problems for most of his career whereas Galchenyuk is more of a warrior. Personally I think Galchenyuk is more of a Hybrid between Toews and Hossa.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
HabsSlappy

Galchenyuk=Hossa
I would love for him to be a Hossa type player and lots of experts seem to like this comparison.

Collberg=Skinner
I have limited sample size with him, basically jumping on what others are saying.

Thrower=Bieksa
Going off a few viewings and what experts and Thrower himself had said.

Bozon= Versteeg
Going off a few viewings and internet research

Vail=Henrique
Live in Windsor and say Henrique live many times in Junior and Vail many times in Junior. Really thought Vail compares well to him. Just have to wait and see if he can follow the amazing improvement curve that Henrique has followed and be put in a situation to succeed. Both are smart players and do everything well. Hopefully Vail can continue to improve in the same mold.

Hudon= Roy
Seems like a concensus comparison.

Nystrom=Maybe Mason Raymond/Saku Koivu?
Here I have no idea except a small video and what other posters have described. More looking for people to comment on whether this is close or not. Hoping he is like Koivu.

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 06-25-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added some details
HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Galchenyuk=Hossa
Collberg=Skinner
Thrower=Bieksa
Bozon= Versteeg
Vail=Henrique
Hudon= Roy
Nystrom=Maybe Mason Raymond?
As someone who watched Jeff Skinner nightly in the OHL, I am thrilled with the Collberg comparisons. But it's a cautious thrill, because despite all the arguments about him playing 4th line minutes, etc., I just couldn't see Skinner going goal-less in 41 games in the SEL at 17. That guy was such a machine at that age and it didn't seem to matter who he played with. He seized the opportunity and earned more minutes.

I don't know enough about Collberg's season to say for sure. But if he's Skinner, we're laughing.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
NotProkofievian

I don't think we'll see Collberg making the NHL and putting up points like Skinner did. Collberg has a great on ice work ethic, but Skinner is something else.

However, with Collberg's great on-ice work ethic, and his skills, I'm very excited. He's got everything he needs except strength in order to be a top line player. Luckily, make him spend one summer with PK or Patches, and that'll be resolved real quick.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
love the hossa , toews comparisons, i even see a bit of malkin in him, i reallyy do, and im not alone in that sentiment, i know we all WANT him to be the next malkin, but you definately see in his drive, a potential superstar and the best part is MOST if not ALL of the footage on him is of him at SIXTEEN, which is mindblowing and people dont give enough credit for

for collberg, ...listen, id LOVE for him to develop into a alfredsson type of player, an amazing 2 way player, but i think the skinner comparison is absolutely DEAD on...hes a HELL of a player, and hopefully collbergs love of ovechkin play makes him and even better player/prospect

for thrower? listen , if even he comes close to bieksa, ..its just win win... i missed the hfboards live when we were drafting in the 2nd round..but i revisited...and i swear...were at 33, and i see people HOPING we take thrower with that pick.. (ended up with collberg, OH NO!! ) and miraculously ended up with thrower in the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, ..and honestly, ..i had a feeling like weve somehow unjustifyably completely forgotten about beaulieu, tinordi and ellis... but thrower could be a STUD and its an honor to have him part of the team, as much as he said it was an honor to be apart of the habs, its truly a pleasure to see him apart of us after many of the HF faithful before the draft were mentioning just how good this guy could be if we took a flyer on him... but most of them said we had NO shot, potential late first round early 2nd..and miraculously turns into a late 2nd for us...absolute steal

and i honestly cannot believe bozon went that far...putting up THOSE numbers in the WHL of all places as a ROOKIE, gotta be kidding me.

im thrilled with the first 4 picks!!

I still can't believe all those players were available for our Habs? (almost too good to be true!!). And all of us (it seems) are so darn happy...when was the last time that all or most picks made most of us Hab fans so happy?!!

And funny thing...right after Galchenyuk there were 7 dmen chosen in a row!! and only then Forsberg, Grigorenko, and Faksa were chosen...most of us were wrong incl. me on Forberg). And most of us knew (or felt it) that Grigo would fall.

So glad Columbus took Murray (and a bit surprised!).
Wonder who Timmins would have chosen if Galchenyuk was chosen.

Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon...

Our depth is just getting better and better:
<Centers...Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Leblanc...
<Forwards...Pacioretty, Gallagher, Collberg, Bournival, Kristo, Bozon...
<Dmen...Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower...

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
WestIslander

Galchenyuk = Kopitar
Collberg = Zetterberg
Thrower = Bieksa
Beaulieu = Letang
Tinordi = Chara
Gallagher = Cammalleri
Kristo = Kessel

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Galchenyuk = Kopitar
Collberg = Zetterberg
Thrower = Bieksa
Beaulieu = Letang
Tinordi = Chara
Gallagher = Cammalleri
Kristo = Kessel
Interesting comparisons

Galchenyuk...Kopitar?:
not bad...Kopitar reminds of Malkin sometimes (only sometimes). I'm thinking, hoping that Galchenyuk will be more gritty like Jonathan Toews (we really need this for our Habs).

Collberg...Zetterberg?:
I lke this!, but...maybe more realistic to hope for a Skinner (something close to) or something close to an Alfredsson. Also...they're both right-handed like Collberg,etc. Never heard of the Zetterberg comparison...but I'm not against it!

Gallagher...Cammalleri?...isn't Gallagher a very feisty, gritty, skilled hard working sniper...? hard work has nothing to do with Cammalleri! Camm seemed to be slacking off out there all the time (towards the end with our Habs) just barely skating here, barely skating there...just coasting...just waiting and not working for anything, not doing anything. Looked like a lazy **** out there. One of the laziest players I've ever seen wearing the CH jersey (exception: when he scored many goals for our Habs when we reached our most recent Conference Finals, still...Gallagher looks like he has way more pride in working for everything...just my opinion). I'm hoping Gallagher can be a smaller Dustin Brown for us (or a taller Brian Gionta).

Kristo...Kessel?: I can't wait to see Kristo play in the AHL to finally see what his potential is...what's a poor man Kessel? Ryder? Maybe Kristo will turn into a Ryder or better? Another D'Agostini?! I need to see Kristo play in the AHL to make better comparisons..to have a better idea....and let's hope we don't read anymore stories about him almost losing a toe because of a careless decision (mixed with bad luck, I guess).

Tinordi: I'm hoping he can turn out to be a Derian Hatcher for us (or even better). Intimidating mean streak (but not too many penalties/disciplined/smart), solid PKer, will clear the front of the net/protect our goalie, solid shut-down dman,etc. Actually...I'm hoping for a Chris Pronger!! (with less offense of course!!).

Go Habs Go!!!! (so excited! let's just make sure there's no lockout thie season, or else we're just going to follow more Bulldogs' hockey!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-25-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
NotProkofievian

To put those comparisons into perspective: I'm pretty sure WestIslander was one of the guys who called 911 last year...

For Galchenyuk I really like the Hossa comparisons. I see a lot of similarities in their play. Although Hossa does play C/LW, Galchenyuk, to me, seems like more of a pure center.

...a pure center Hossa sounds pretty badass to me.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Galchenyuk = Kopitar
Collberg = Zetterberg
Thrower = Bieksa
Beaulieu = Letang
Tinordi = Chara
Gallagher = Cammalleri
Kristo = Kessel
Wow, we should have a pretty amazing team next year!!!

Pacioretty - Kopitar - Kessel
Zetterberg - Desharnais - Cole
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Leblanc - Eller - White

Markov - Chara
Letang - Bieksa
Kaberle - Subban

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
MXD

If anything, Dalton Thrower could end up like a more agile, quicker and smaller version of Sheldon Souray.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Wow, we should have a pretty amazing team next year!!!

Pacioretty - Kopitar - Kessel
Zetterberg - Desharnais - Cole
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Leblanc - Eller - White

Markov - Chara
Letang - Bieksa
Kaberle - Subban

win!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Someone said Thrower-Wisnewski.. I found it pretty accurate

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Well, if those draftees live up to these comparisons, in a few years we'll see a parade on Ste.-Cathérine's.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Andy

Holy overrating Batman! Wow!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I assume the comparisons provided are if each one of these prospects hits their projected ceiling.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:33 AM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Thanks for saying it ,I still can't stop laughing at the Tinordi/Chara one.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I assume the comparisons provided are if each one of these prospects hits their projected ceiling.
Even then I don't see Gally's ceiling being Malkin high. You're talking about one of the best players in the NHL, if not the best one.

I also don't see how one can say Malkin and Toews. Those two are differently players entirely.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:45 AM
onice

Galchenyuk = Wickenheiser
Collberg = Alfie Turcot
Thrower = Brent Bilodeau
Bozon = Duncan Milroy
Vail = Gordie Dwyer
Hudon = Eric Chouinard
Nystrom = Daniel Zetterberg ( The Sedins are not the only Swedish hockey playing twins named Henrik & Daniel).

I thought I'd bring a counter balance to this crazy thread.

Yeah, I'm happy with the draft as far as the Habs are concerned but this thread is ridiculous. You guys forgot to compare some of the players with Orr, Gretsky, Crosby and Beliveau. And then you wonder why Hab fans have a bad rep on the main boards.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Galchenyuk = Wickenheiser
Collberg = Alfie Turcot
Thrower = Brent Bilodeau
Bozon = Duncan Milroy
Vail = Gordie Dwyer
Hudon = Eric Chouinard
Nystrom = Daniel Zetterberg ( The Sedins are not the only Swedish hockey playing twins named Henrik & Daniel).

I thought I'd bring a counter balance to this crazy thread.

Yeah, I'm happy with the draft as far as the Habs are concerned but this thread is ridiculous. You guys forgot to compare some of the players with Orr, Gretsky, Crosby and Beliveau. And then you wonder why Hab fans have a bad rep on the main boards.
Yes, some Habs fans tend to nominate draftees for the Hall of Fame before they've ever skated on Bell Centre ice. If you take away their magic mushrooms, they're just as sensible as everyone else. Trouble is, they'll fight you with fang and talon if you try.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
If anything, Dalton Thrower could end up like a more agile, quicker and smaller version of Sheldon Souray.
He reminds me of a more talented Lyle Odelein.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote