HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz

Old
06-26-2012, 07:26 AM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

By Rob Soria

Brian Burke has always been one who likes to make a splash when it comes to improving his hockey club. Having already pulled off a one for one swap of Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk at the NHL Entry Draft, many feel the Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager is just getting started on what could be be a busy off season.

Apparently, he will be going big game hunting in trying to acquire the likes of Rick Nash, Roberto Luongo and Justin Schultz. Unfortunately for Leafs Nation, Burke may strike out on all three fronts but that may not be the worst thing for the long term betterment of the organization.

Read more...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/edmonton/sports/RS0318.php

Last edited by HometownHockey: 06-26-2012 at 07:46 AM.
HometownHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:38 AM
dubplatepressure

This article just summarizes the possibilities of outcomes and assumes Schultz will likely want to play for a contender over playing here - no new details given on anything.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:42 AM
exporta

Schultz will have a hard time getting consistant playing time on a contender. All reports have him wanting to come to a team with the opportunity to play this season.

Nash - don't want him.

Luongo will make us a playoff team right away, however not will to sell the farm for him. A package of komi + mac or kulemin + pick/mid prospect is all I'd give.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:48 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post

By Rob Soria

Brian Burke has always been one who likes to make a splash when it comes to improving his hockey club. Having already pulled off a one for one swap of Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk at the NHL Entry Draft, many feel the Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager is just getting started on what could be be a busy off season.

Apparently, he will be going big game hunting in trying to acquire the likes of Rick Nask, Roberto Luongo and Justin Schultz. Unfortunately for Leafs Nation, Burke may strike out on all three fronts but that may not be the worst thing for the long term betterment of the organization.

Read more...

Why are the Oilers a better option again? Is Schultz a close friend of Nathan Mackinnon?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:52 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Why are the Oilers a better option again? Is Schultz a close friend of Nathan Mackinnon?
That's what everyone in the league will try and have you believe, because no one wants you to remember the Pronger incident.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Stephen

Everyone wants to go to Edmonton, just ask Heatley, Gaborik, Jagr, Pronger etc.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Oilers fans spend 23 hours a day telling Leaf fans their defencive prospects are better than everything we have, and 1 hour a day telling us how they have more room on their blueline for Schultz than we do.

And I don't consider not getting Nash or Luongo a loss.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Man oh man am I ever excited now, did you notice he didn't mention Weber, Parise and Suter............they're gonna be Leafs I tell ya yes LEAFS!

muhahahahaha

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
noway

As in this post....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post50896373

...the blogger with the spelling problem (in the earlier one he calls the #1 pick Yakpov in the 2nd paragraph) is trying to sit in Edmonton's corner in the Schultz sweepstakes. Instead of hinting about why he shouldn't choose the Leafs he should examine why anyone would want to play for a team that is so bad it gets the first overall draft pick every year.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:41 AM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
So you don't have any information that they will lose out -- just opinion. Thanks for sharing.
the greatest hockey blogger of all time Eklund, broke some news late last night that he feels Toronto is tops on Nash's list, and its just a matter of time before the leafs get him.

Then once the leafs snag nash, Luongo will be begging to play for the Leafs. He was just waiting to see if they could improve the team.

Who is going to be right......................Eklund or this guy?

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
darrylsittler27

The forgotten art of logic...

"We wont empty the cupboards for him." Burke.

Scratch Luongo.

Just got JVR.

Scratch Nash- who we dont want.

We will get Schultz.

100 percent wrong....next!

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Of course they could miss out on all three, we don't need an article to tell us that.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Read more...

Quote:
If the goal is for the Leafs to hopefully squeeze into the playoffs over the next couple of years, than by all means, make the move. With the level of netminding throughout much of the Eastern Conference being what it is, they have no hope of making it with their current level of goaltending but last time I checked, there were three teams that missed the playoffs that had pretty darn good goalies. Bringing in Roberto will not guarantee Toronto anything short term but could certainly hurt them badly in the long run.
Yes, most of this article is nothing new, but I agree there is some risk about improving the goaltending in the short term.

If the team is to be considered a contender, I'd say they have a couple holes besides goaltending to fill. Filling the goaltender role with Luongo might result in a short term boost, but if he is on the downside does he end up like Belfour trying to man the nets with a good team while his best years are long gone?

Canucks are willing to risk going with a somewhat unproven goaltender over Luongo. Doesn't that say something about Luongo?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Vexxed14

Personally, I think it says more about Schneider than it does about Luongo

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
"We wont empty the cupboards for him." Burke.

Scratch Luongo.

Just got JVR.

Scratch Nash- who we dont want.

We will get Schultz.

100 percent wrong....next!
I'm sure somewhere a porcine is getting aviation lessons, but I think darrylsittler27 is pretty correct on this one.

I would add, though, that Florida and Toronto are looking to make soft deals with Vancouver, so if Toronto could add Luongo for a package of:
Mike Komisarek, Matthew Lombardi, Clarke MacArthur, Colby Armstrong, Tim Connolly, and/or Ben Scrivens or Mark Owuya, then Toronto would do it.

Gillis isn't willing to accept that (yet) so there's no deal getting made (yet).

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
416Leafer

"Burke may strike out on all three fronts but that may not be the worst thing for the long term betterment of the organization. "

While I agree that is true for Nash/Luongo....

Why would missing out on Schultz be good for us long term? Getting Schultz would be absolutely awesome, a "free wallet" that's a probably #2-3 D-man longterm who's only 22 or whatever right now. I see absolutely zero downside to adding a guy like that for free.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM
mydnyte

29 other teams will also miss out on those players ...whip-de-do original thought there.

Steve Simmons wannabe.

btw, who in the world would actually choose to live in Edmonton. Yuck!

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Canucks are willing to risk going with a somewhat unproven goaltender over Luongo. Doesn't that say something about Luongo?
Vancouver isn't the one that decided to oust Luongo, it was Luongo who said (speculative paraphrasing): "If you sit me on the bench when it matters most, I think it's time that I move to a new team."

Luongo doesn't want to play second-fiddle to anyone. Can't blame him for that. Schneider is a good goalie, and Vancouver knows better than anyone if they can rely on him. I think that the high asking price by Gillis is an admission that they feel they still need Luongo.

Either way they need to bring a solid back-up goaltender back, one who can potentially be a No.1 should the need arise. I think Scrivens makes the most sense for our organization and the Canucks.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Vancouver isn't the one that decided to oust Luongo, it was Luongo who said (speculative paraphrasing): "If you sit me on the bench when it matters most, I think it's time that I move to a new team."

Luongo doesn't want to play second-fiddle to anyone. Can't blame him for that. Schneider is a good goalie, and Vancouver knows better than anyone if they can rely on him. I think that the high asking price by Gillis is an admission that they feel they still need Luongo.

Either way they need to bring a solid back-up goaltender back, one who can potentially be a No.1 should the need arise. I think Scrivens makes the most sense for our organization and the Canucks.
So Luongo is saying he doesn't want to be a back-up.

Obviously, he's #2 on their depth chart if he's pulled for the important games. Whether it was the team or him, in the playoffs 2010-2011 he was shelled in a number of games, and played well in others.

I think his contract is too long for his propensity to poop the bed under pressure. Maybe that's why we're hearing he wants to go back to Florida.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Pi

Don't want Luongo/Nash.

As far as Schultz and every other UFA, isn't it obvious that every team in the running could miss out on players? I don't see why it's news.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

This is not a mandatory read.

If you have no interest in this thread just don't read it.

There isn't going to be a test later.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

How do I know if I'm gonna have interest in it, before I read it?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:46 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I usually look at who posted it first

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
If you are posting in it you have to ask if you are posting with reference to the article or if your post enters the "off topic", "trolling", "flaming" or "spamming" category. If it is in those categories leave the thread, as they are infractable posts. Is it really worth it if you have no interest in the post to get an infraction?

Quite basic stuff.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Interactif

Pierre Lebrun wrote don't be surprised if Schultz goes to Edmonton after the 1st rd draft. This was before Schenn was dealt, but again it would seem Schultz is looking for the best possible chance to start next year. He's 22 not 18, if he is as good as they say he is, it shouldn't be a problem from Detroit to Vancouver getting a spot on the D.

Anyway you look at it, the competition will be stiff for Schultz.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote