HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Entire Draft for High Picks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
  #1
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Entire Draft for High Picks

So I posted this in another thread and wanted to see what everyone else thinks of this, considering some GMs are out there offering their entire draft it's not entirely impossible.

Here's my original post:

Quote:
CBJ should have done this trade with EDM (Entire draft for number 1), then EDM should have traded number 2 for number 4 plus NYI entire draft.

EDM could have walked away Reinhart and 3 of the top 4 picks in every round.

Plus he could have traded those 3 2nd rounders plus another asset to get into the top 10 again.

WOW
So in essence:

CBJ Get: Yakupov

NYI Get: Murray

EDM Get: #4 (Reinhart or whoever they choose at 4) Plus entire draft of NYI and CBJ.

Please don't bring up CBJ would never do that trade because Yakupov is Russian and they would never do it.

For all intents and purposes in this proposal, assume Yaks is Canadian/American and CBJ really covet him (Not saying they didn't but I know people will come in and say CBJ didn't even want him.).

What do you think?


Last edited by djdub: 06-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.
djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
  #2
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
you say entire draft minus #2 in one line and then have EDM trading down the #2..

CBJ would not trade away all the picks to move up 1 spot.

edit: nvm u changed it..

more realistic scenerio: CBJ trades #1 to NYI for all their picks.. and then trades #4 overall to a team picking mid round for all their picks..

NYI gets 2nd overall
Team X gets 4th overall
CBJ gets all the later picks of team X and NYI

finding homes for all the prospects, evaluating them and later on signing them would become hell.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
  #3
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
you say entire draft minus #2 in one line and then have EDM trading down the #2..

CBJ would not trade away all the picks to move up 1 spot.
Yeah took out minus 2, same proposal Snow allegedly proposed to Howsen.

EDIT: Also, I know you say just one spot. But I'm just trying to point out this is an interesting idea if the 1st overall is say a Stamkos and extremely coveted by the whole league (Yaks is a bad example because he has a lot of doubters). You could essentially do some wheeling and dealing and turn it into two picks, a top 5 and a top 10 using those 3 high second round picks.


Last edited by djdub: 06-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.
djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
  #4
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,655
vCash: 500
Didn't NYI *actually* offer their entire draft (including #4) to CBJ for #2?

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
  #5
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post

What do you think?
That's a ton of kids to get into your system at one time. Just speaking logistics it'd make running a development camp a lot harder with that many bodies.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
  #6
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
That's a ton of kids to get into your system at one time. Just speaking logistics it'd make running a development camp a lot harder with that many bodies.

Yeah it probably would. But imagine how many 3 for 1 deals you could swing to move into better positions than you were originally picking.

You could move two of your 2nd rounders(say 31 and 32), a 3rd rounder(say 61), and a decent prospect and/or roster player to move into the top 10.

Then you could move say your other 2nd rounder(34) and your other two 3rd rounders to move into 20-25 of the first round.

Alot of teams are looking to move their 1st rounder for quantity (ie Calgary this year).

EDM could have walked away with three 1st round picks, possibly two top 10 picks another 20-25 pick and then swung some more 3 for 1s in later rounds.

I know it's pretty far fetched but considering this kind of offer (entire draft) was (allegedly) offered by Snow you never know, it's plausible but not impossible.

I would have done it if I was Tambi and it was offered. Be a busy draft day though.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 PM
  #7
The Finnish MacInnis*
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
lol@"intensive purposes"

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
  #8
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Finnish MacInnis View Post
lol@"intensive purposes"

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #9
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
Intents and purposes.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #10
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,703
vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Didn't NYI *actually* offer their entire draft (including #4) to CBJ for #2?
If they did, Columbus should've taken it.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
  #11
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If they did, Columbus should've taken it.

That's what I'm saying.

Say this was the 2008 Draft. Stamkos #1, Doughty #2, Pietrangelo at #4, Cody Hodgson at #10.

Tampa could have got Cody Hodgson (10), Alex Pietrangelo and say Michael Del Zotto (20) for Stamkos.

St. Louis would have got Doughty.

L.A would have got Stamkos.

In hindsight I would say that's a pretty good deal for Stamkos. Maybe not value wise since you can't really put value on him now as he's a 60 goal scorer. But I would argue those 3 players would contribute to winning cups more than 1 player in Stamkos.

Just an example as you can't really compare it to this years draft yet.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:38 PM
  #12
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
That's what I'm saying.

Say this was the 2008 Draft. Stamkos #1, Doughty #2, Pietrangelo at #4, Cody Hodgson at #10.

Tampa could have got Cody Hodgson (10), Alex Pietrangelo and say Michael Del Zotto (20) for Stamkos.

St. Louis would have got Doughty.

L.A would have got Stamkos.

In hindsight I would say that's a pretty good deal for Stamkos. Maybe not value wise since you can't really put value on him now as he's a 60 goal scorer. But I would argue those 3 players would contribute to winning cups more than 1 player in Stamkos.

Just an example as you can't really compare it to this years draft yet.
I'm definitely not trying to belittle Stammer here, because he is a fantastic player, but given the outcome of the last playoffs Doughty alone for Stammer wouldn't be worth it.

Stanley Cup trumps everything and Doughty was a main component in securing the franchises first Cup.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:46 PM
  #13
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm definitely not trying to belittle Stammer here, because he is a fantastic player, but given the outcome of the last playoffs Doughty alone for Stammer wouldn't be worth it.

Stanley Cup trumps everything and Doughty was a main component in securing the franchises first Cup.

That's what I'm saying, 2012 and 2008 top 5 went very similar with exception of #3 in 2008 Bogosian was taken to #3 2012 Galchenyuk.

What a good gamble it would be to go for a top rated D in the draft while getting a top 10 FWD in the process. Almost always scouting reports have #1 rated player as a FWD as D are hard to project. If you were the Oilers already having RNH, Hall, Ebs this would of had to entice you to get Riley/Rienhart and say Grigorenko and Olli Maata/Codi Ceci or something.

And then looking back at the 2008 draft LA and St. Louis wouldn't have been regretting those trades. I bet if it had gone down this year neither would any of EDM, NYI and CBJ.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:55 PM
  #14
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 1220
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the Islanders proposal. It was ONLY if Yakupov dropped to #2. I actually don't think that's even enough to move up to get him. 2nd-7th rounders aren't worth very much at all - likely not enough to compensate for the difference between Yakupov and Reinhart/Rielly

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
  #15
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the Islanders proposal. It was ONLY if Yakupov dropped to #2. I actually don't think that's even enough to move up to get him. 2nd-7th rounders aren't worth very much at all - likely not enough to compensate for the difference between Yakupov and Reinhart/Rielly
Was it confirmed somewhere that it was only if Yakupov dropped?

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:58 PM
  #16
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Was it confirmed somewhere that it was only if Yakupov dropped?
I've heard different versions but some Islander fans were adamant that it was only for Yakupov.

If it was for Murray, then I can't defend that trade. It's just not worth it in this draft.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
  #17
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the Islanders proposal. It was ONLY if Yakupov dropped to #2. I actually don't think that's even enough to move up to get him. 2nd-7th rounders aren't worth very much at all - likely not enough to compensate for the difference between Yakupov and Reinhart/Rielly
I know it's not enough when you look at it from that perspective, but if your Tambo and you can swing it to be Reinhart/Rielly, Grigorenko and someone of Maata/Ceci caliber. I'd pull the trigger.

I really doubt Yakupov > Rienhart + Grigorenko + Maata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Was it confirmed somewhere that it was only if Yakupov dropped?

I think that is just speculation, not sure though. Anyone have a link?

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:48 AM
  #18
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,622
vCash: 500
New Jersey offered their entire draft to the Penquins during Mario Lemeuix's draft year.

It happened in football (and then some) when Ditka traded the Saints draft for Rickey Williams.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:25 AM
  #19
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Finnish MacInnis View Post
lol@"intensive purposes"
I learned something new in this thread...and I'm one of those people who HATE when people do that kind of thing.

I'm embarrassed, but thank you.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:43 AM
  #20
GoTeamDom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
This doesn't work in the NHL because of the low contract limit.

Even if you were given picks #1-#30, you can only sign 50 players at a time, so chances are you'd have to leave a lot of decent players unsigned who will re-enter the draft.

If Columbus were to have taken this deal, they would have had something like 14 picks this draft, none of which could have helped in the immediate future, and it would be nearly impossible to sign them all.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
  #21
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
So I posted this in another thread and wanted to see what everyone else thinks of this, considering some GMs are out there offering their entire draft it's not entirely impossible.

Here's my original post:



So in essence:

CBJ Get: Yakupov

NYI Get: Murray

EDM Get: #4 (Reinhart or whoever they choose at 4) Plus entire draft of NYI and CBJ.

Please don't bring up CBJ would never do that trade because Yakupov is Russian and they would never do it.

For all intents and purposes in this proposal, assume Yaks is Canadian/American and CBJ really covet him (Not saying they didn't but I know people will come in and say CBJ didn't even want him.).

What do you think?
You are assuming someone other than Garth Snow was dumb enough to make this offer.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
  #22
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This doesn't work in the NHL because of the low contract limit.

Even if you were given picks #1-#30, you can only sign 50 players at a time, so chances are you'd have to leave a lot of decent players unsigned who will re-enter the draft.

If Columbus were to have taken this deal, they would have had something like 14 picks this draft, none of which could have helped in the immediate future, and it would be nearly impossible to sign them all.
I have no idea why more people don't understand this. Let's just say Joe Fan thinks a lot higher of that number of picks than a GM would, especially when that GM has a specific player in mind that they really want.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.