HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz (Update: will sign with Edmonton)

Old
06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
What world are we living in? One couldn't crack the top two pairings on the friggin Maple Leafs and the other was in college. It's like we think just cause we want somethign to happen it will.
I'm pretty sure he insinuated that our D was getting real old real fast without many prospects of top end talent. Coburn, Mez, Grossmann, Carle are ideally suited as second pairing guys. Schenn and Schultz at least have top 2 potential

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
tryce91
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
his name isnt Carle, so im game..
lol agreed

tryce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

So Sam Charwhateverhisdamenameis tweeted something about him wanting to play in Vancouver?? First off, wasn't he saying his sources told him Richards and Carter weren't in play last year?? I really despide this dude. Sorry Sam, but where did you get this info from?? Why does our media have to suck so bad!

/mini rant

We are suppose to be one of five teams he wants to play for. Homer convince him this is the place to play hockey!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Of course Holmgren (and many other GMs) are going to make basically identical ELC offers.

The question boils down to Schultz's preference and who makes the best sales pitch.
Time for Ed to warm up the private jet and take the kid for some cheese steaks then down to the Center and let him hear Lou Nolan announce his name over the PA.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Psuhockey

The Flyers really have the most to sell out of those five teams. They are a young team who's window is just opening while Vancouver's is starting to close. They are Stanley cup contenders already next year not years away unlike Toronto and Edmonton. They play an offensive and aggressive style activating their dmen unlike the Rangers who sag back and block shots. They are also one of the highest scoring teams in the league so he will put up points allowing for a bigger second contract, which the Flyers have no problems giving. The only thing the Flyers can't offer is playing in his home area or with old college friends.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Ditch Carle, use Timonen's money to sign Weber. Throw a bone in there and you got the makings of a stew.
Nice reference, if that was your intention.

We have some money coming off the books next year so I don't see why we should sign a player like Carle to a long term over priced deal when we can get younger and better in the long run. If we didn't have options I would say go after Carle, but if we could get Schultz it could easily open up more space this year for other players. Plus since Schultz is young he could be movable, if needed in a trade, or no resigned after his contract is up in a few years. Seems like a better situation than a NMC 7 year deal for 5.5 mil a season or something stupid.

The problem is getting him to sign here and frankly getting any other free agents to or giving up outrageous asset requests for one player via trade.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
So Sam Charwhateverhisdamenameis tweeted something about him wanting to play in Vancouver?? First off, wasn't he saying his sources told him Richards and Carter weren't in play last year?? I really despide this dude. Sorry Sam, but where did you get this info from?? Why does our media have to suck so bad!

/mini rant

We are suppose to be one of five teams he wants to play for. Homer convince him this is the place to play hockey!
I'm no Carchidi fan but the word is that Vancouver and Edmonton are the frontrunners.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm no Carchidi fan but the word is that Vancouver and Edmonton are the frontrunners.
Good gravy, these guys are going to be unreal in about two or three years.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Good gravy, these guys are going to be unreal in about two or three years.
Word is Schultz wants the opportunity for big minutes and wants to play in Canada.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Word is Schultz wants the opportunity for big minutes and wants to play in Canada.
If they get Schultz and he is the real deal, the Oilers are making the playoffs this season. Book it.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
If they get Schultz and he is the real deal, the Oilers are making the playoffs this season. Book it.
They still need a lot to become a playoff team, adding Schultz alone isn't going to get them there.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Don't they still need a goalie?

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
They still need a lot to become a playoff team, adding Schultz alone isn't going to get them there.
Well I assume they'll make other moves to fill out their roster. But their offense is going to be off the charts and their defense, if Schultz is the real deal, should be improved as well. They have over $25 million in cap space and I don't know what type of budget they are on, but they'll have money to throw around at some of the bigger name free agents out there too. Even if they just add a couple middle-of-the-road type players to compliment their young guns, it is going to be fun to watch.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Don't they still need a goalie?
Not sure, but a great goalie isn't needed to make the playoffs. I'm not saying they are going to go far, but even if they re-sign Dubnyk I'd bet they make the playoffs.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Holy **** is Schultz being overrated..

Never played an NHL game and will probably hit the rookie wall that most college players do and now he is leading a team with ****** defense and goaltending like the Oilers to the playoffs?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Never played an NHL game and will probably hit the rookie wall that most college players do and now he is leading a team with ****** defense and goaltending like the Oilers to the playoffs?
I think you must not have read the part where I said "if he is the real deal." Or the part about how ridiculous their offense is going to be.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Krishna

Quote:
I think you must not have read the part where I said "if he is the real deal." Or the part about how ridiculous their offense is going to be.
Unless Schultz walks in and can play 30 minutes a game as a true #1 defenseman, they have no shot of making the playoffs.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Unless Schultz walks in and can play 30 minutes a game as a true #1 defenseman, they have no shot of making the playoffs.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
they might as well fold the franchise then right?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Their top pairing is Petry-Schutlz. Teams have made it with way worse D.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

Which offers an amusing contrast to your serious under-rating of the player.

Reality check... If Schultz were draft eligible, he probably gets taken in the area where Trouba was taken. Schultz is quite good, but he isn't THAT good or bad yet

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
That offense is going to be insane and get more insane as those high picks mature. Teams that really suck tend to get really good a few years after those 1st overalls get their wheels going (see Pitt and the Avs). A tender and some solid D would sure go a long way for them.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
That offense is going to be insane and get more insane as those high picks mature. Teams that really suck tend to get really good a few years after those 1st overalls get their wheels going (see Pitt and the Avs). A tender and some solid D would sure go a long way for them.
That's my exact point. If they get Schultz, and he is the real deal, the rest of their defense isn't that bad and they'll presumably add a couple more pieces. Even if their goalies still suck, I think they would be a playoff team. Great goaltending is not a pre-requisite to making the playoffs. Certainly doesn't hurt, but if these guys are scoring gobs of goals and their defense is half-way decent, watch out.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder when these college free agents will learn how stupid it is to believe they can just jump into big minutes. I wonder how many careers have been ruined because they sign in places that will promise them immediate entry into the NHL instead of signing places that will properly develop them.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post

/mini rant

He's usually right when he says something (as a fact, not as an opinion).

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote