HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz

Old
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 500
"may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz?"

They will lose out on them.

And the only one that sucks to lose out on in Schultz. Losing out on Nash/Luongo is sort of "winning in the end."

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:08 AM
416Leafer

I think both Ottawa and Edmonton could be a great fit for Schultz. Young teams that look like they have bright futures, and both have wide open spots on the blueline for Schultz to walk right in and push for top 4 minutes.

I think it would be pretty tough for him to get top 4 minutes on Vancouver though... Edler/Bieksa/Hamhuis are complete locks for 3 of the top 4 spots, Tanev/Gragnani/Salo/Ballard will all be contending for the other 4 spots on the roster.

Toronto would also be pretty tough. Our blueline as a unit isn't phenomenal by any means, but there are still 6-7 legitimate NHLers (Phaneuf/Liles/Gardiner/Gunnarson/Franson/Komi/Holzer). So unless there's a move, it could be hard to sell Toronto to Schultz.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Pierre Lebrun wrote don't be surprised if Schultz goes to Edmonton after the 1st rd draft. This was before Schenn was dealt, but again it would seem Schultz is looking for the best possible chance to start next year. He's 22 not 18, if he is as good as they say he is, it shouldn't be a problem from Detroit to Vancouver getting a spot on the D.

Anyway you look at it, the competition will be stiff for Schultz.
With an ELSC everyone is on equal footing.

We've all read the "wants a Canadian team" comments, the wants playing time, which I've also read that isn't the case, that he'll gladly earn his position.

If he wants to be near home, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver all make sense.

If I were in his shoes I might find the Oilers an exciting opportunity, and perhaps see myself growing with a potential powerhouse team.

In his shoes I'd look at it in this order: Oilers, Canucks, Senators and then Leafs.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
sampollock

eck says leafs are close to nash and parise????

burke will strip the team for nash.

must be getting heat from upstairs to make playoffs, though he will sacrifice the future.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
mokspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If I were in his shoes I might find the Oilers an exciting opportunity, and perhaps see myself growing with a potential powerhouse team.
Hit the nail on the head - Imagine being able to join the young talented core in EDM? I would love for him to join TML, but to play with guys like Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov? That would be pretty sick - and I think he would be able to compete for the 2nd pairing on D too.

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post

must be getting heat from upstairs to make playoffs, though he will sacrifice the future.

You actually believe Eklund?

Do you not have anything better to do in the summer than read his garbage drivel?

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
With an ELSC everyone is on equal footing.

We've all read the "wants a Canadian team" comments, the wants playing time, which I've also read that isn't the case, that he'll gladly earn his position.

If he wants to be near home, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver all make sense.

In his shoes I'd look at it in this order: Oilers, Canucks, Senators and then Leafs.
Considering our luck with FA's, I would be pleasantly surprised if he signs with us.

I do think before Schenn was traded we may have been #3 on the list, but now with an immediate opening on our roster, our chances have improved slightly. We will see, but it's not as if we have a stacked defence either. This one is a tough call, and I wouldn't rule out Detroit swooping in and surprising everyone. They are well known in treating their players well, they may be a surprise team.

Burke is no doubt going hard after Justin, which is a good sign. A lot more than seemingly Brad Richards last summer.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post

Because Eklund is a reliable source (E1)

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

It's refreshing to keep reading the Leafs will not get Luongo.

Rick Nash would have helped the Leafs, but his cap hit is just too high for the "intangibles" he brings to any team.

It will suck to lose out on Schultz, but in the end do the Leafs really want a "me first" player that is willing to bail on his team (the Ducks) given the chance to do so? Sometimes these situations tend to work itself out down the road. Karma will eventually be on the good side for the Leafs.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
robdicks

I don't know much about Shultz aside from things I have heard, but if I were a young d-man I think I would agree with the blog-writer on that point.

If I want a rebuilding team, I take Edmonton because I think I have a better chance of making that team than the Leafs. If I want a contending team, I pick a contending team. The Leafs would be a bit of a long-shot because of their poor record, despite being fairly deep on the back-end.

Burke is free to prove me wrong though.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Nash - asking price is way too much (I also heard that we're already out of that one as per Damon Cox). Not expecting or wanting this one.
Loungo - Would love to have him but not at what Gillis is rumored to be asking for.
Schultz - Would love to have him, but honestly it's been almost a decade since the Leafs were able to acquire a high end FA, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I get the feeling Burke won't be able to make to many more big changes to the roster. Not a fault of his, I just don't think the market is in his favour right now. A lottery pick again next year is something I'm looking forward to. We still have a long way to go.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Sounds more like an Edmonton writer trying to convince everyone that Shultz should sign with the Oilers and that the Leafs are the bad team. You know, because it's always good to sign with a team that has the first overall pick every year.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
robdicks

As far as the other two players go I will say that I don't want to give up a ton for them. Nash I would likely steer clear of all together though.

Luongo is a long contract, but from the last couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that no contract is immovable. The blogger goes on about the dollar amount of Luongo, but the dollar amount will not hurt the Leafs one bit. 6.74 mill is a lot of dollars per year, but in 2003 our highest paid player made 9 mil. I am sure that 2 mil less a decade later is fine. I am fine with a Luongo trade as long as it doesn't involve Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner, or Rielly.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
birddog*

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours is noted. But let's understand that this is only your opinion and you have no evidence.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Alflives

[QUOTE=OurHometown;51541069]Maple Leafs may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz

Of course, having a proven #1 goalie would only hamper the Leafs' development. Just look, for example, how terribly it worked out for the players in Vancouver: Snieder, Kessler, Sedin twins, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, etc. These players really regressed while having a real # 1 goalie.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
As far as the other two players go I will say that I don't want to give up a ton for them. Nash I would likely steer clear of all together though.

Luongo is a long contract, but from the last couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that no contract is immovable. The blogger goes on about the dollar amount of Luongo, but the dollar amount will not hurt the Leafs one bit. 6.74 mill is a lot of dollars per year, but in 2003 our highest paid player made 9 mil. I am sure that 2 mil less a decade later is fine. I am fine with a Luongo trade as long as it doesn't involve Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner, or Rielly.
Agreed. Except what else do the Leafs have that Vancouver would want in trade for Luongo? Would they accept Phaneuf, or is that too much to give? From what you wrote I expect your response would be, "yes, that is too much." However, this might open a space for Justin Schultz to play top minutes with Gardiner. Plus, they would get to play in front of a #1 (experienced) goalie. Riley is most likey NHL ready too. Having young defense men playing in front of inexperienced goalies can have horrible effects on the defense men, and their development. It would be a shame to allow Gardiner, Riley and Schultz (hopefully -fingers crossed) follow the development path of Luke Schenn.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
diceman934

[QUOTE=Alflives;51546101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Maple Leafs may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz

Of course, having a proven #1 goalie would only hamper the Leafs' development. Just look, for example, how terribly it worked out for the players in Vancouver: Snieder, Kessler, Sedin twins, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, etc. These players really regressed while having a real # 1 goalie.
LOL ......and true!

I say we end up with Lu and more than likely Schultz.......playing with his former D partner and team mate is a huge draw!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Ciccio1980

Now is the time to trade for Ryan and shultz rights

Ciccio1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
bleedingblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
"may lose out on Nash, Luongo and Schultz?"

They will lose out on them.

And the only one that sucks to lose out on in Schultz. Losing out on Nash/Luongo is sort of "winning in the end."
Yes, we have done so great without them.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Now is the time to trade for Ryan and shultz rights
Schultz is a UFA now I believe so no one holds his rights.

06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
xyzz

its times like these where I wish Burke didnt shy away from handing out monster contracts.

Parise and Suter are good friends.. offer them both 10 year contracts. Who better to build your team around in the next 10 years??

(for those concerned about cap next year - trade or demote both Komi and Army and it would work)

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
MoeMoney

Why are other Canadian teams obsessed with the Leafs? I don't mind but it's weird to see them at the same time constantly bash them as well. Surely there is more to talk about in Edmonton with the third consecutive 1st overall draft pick, and the bright future they have there right? I just could never see any of the 4 major papers here writing an article about the Oilers plans.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Greg McKegg

Not sure why people have a hate on for Rick Nash. The guy has alot of what this team needs, Is 7.8 Per for Nash alot, almost too much? Probably, but he's also locked up for 6 more years. You don't think Kessel will command as much in 2 years? Nash brings a lot more to the team game than Kessel does.

Nash has been on one of the worst teams in hockey since he was drafted. Has had next to no line mates and still performs at a .8-.9ppg pace every year. He hits, he plays the PK, he doesn't turn the puck over (had 26GvA in 82games last year, which would put him lower than every single one of leaf forwards and had more TkA than every single person on the leafs)

As long as the trade for Nash doesn't sell the farm, I would be ecstatic to get Nash on this team.

Greg McKegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Meh. i only care for acquiring Schultz.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Alflives

[QUOTE=diceman934;51546615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post

LOL ......and true!

I say we end up with Lu and more than likely Schultz.......playing with his former D partner and team mate is a huge draw!
Let's try to get into the decision making of an Unrestricted Free Agent defense man coming in on his ELC.

Would you talk to your close friend and ex. University partner about the current team's goalie circumstance? YES. Would you be happy with the answer? NO. Considering this, would you want to play in front of an unproven, and young goalie, especially if it is your ELC? NO. To make maximum dollar on his next contract he would want an experienced, and proven #1 goalie behind him, one who would make him look good, when the need arises. One who would allow him to move forward and join the attack, increasing his potential for points.

If the Leafs are going to have any chance of signing Schultz, Luongo needs to be in the net first. I hope I am wrong, and Schultz will come anyway, but I would be more positive with the goalie circumstance corrected.