HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Summer 2012 ECHL BOG meetings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,978
vCash: 500
Summer 2012 ECHL BOG meetings

http://www.echl.com/annual-echl-boar...cludes-p178094

Membership capped at 26 teams (3 more in Western Conference desired).

New alignment:
Quote:
Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
Elmira Jackals, Reading Royals, Trenton Titans and Wheeling Nailers

North Division
Cincinnati Cyclones, Evansville IceMen, Fort Wayne Komets, Kalamazoo Wings and Toledo Walleye

South Division
Florida Everblades, Greenville Road Warriors, Gwinnett Gladiators, Orlando Solar Bears and South Carolina Stingrays

Western Conference

Mountain Division
Alaska Aces, Colorado Eagles, Idaho Steelheads and Utah Grizzlies

Pacific Division
Bakersfield Condors, Las Vegas Wranglers, Ontario Reign, San Francisco Bulls and Stockton Thunder
Starting 2013, playoffs will have two-referees.

Quote:
The waiver order for the four expansion teams during training camp was determined during the meeting. Evansville will have the top waiver priority, followed by Fort Wayne, Orlando and San Francisco.
Playoff format will be determined @ preseason BOG meeting (September).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:46 AM
  #2
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
What happened to the idea of they didn't want a real big league again that they had been there, done that and it didn't go so well?

So by the Summer of 2013 they want 3 more teams??(assuming all 23 now can still make it a go then)

I'm guessing the format for the Playoffs won't change except you may see them bump the Western Conference up to 8 teams.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  #3
Slowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
What happened to the idea of they didn't want a real big league again that they had been there, done that and it didn't go so well?

So by the Summer of 2013 they want 3 more teams??(assuming all 23 now can still make it a go then)

I'm guessing the format for the Playoffs won't change except you may see them bump the Western Conference up to 8 teams.
The CHL has GOT to be on it's last legs. If they squeak out another two seasons I'd be shocked. I'm sure the Mountain division (Colorado, Idaho, Alaska & Utah) wouldn't mind adding in Rapid City. I don't think Arizona is that strong financially, but geographically it could fit in with the California ECHL teams. Plus Wichita, Kansas City, Tulsa, and one or both of the Dallas area teams are in pretty strong markets. Those teams could finally form a third western division.

Now I'm not saying ALL of that would happen. But when the dust settles, I'm sure the ECHL will add at least three financially strong teams that would boost the ECHL's presence. Big only hurts you if the travel doesn't make sense or you are loaded with weak markets.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
  #4
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
The CHL has GOT to be on it's last legs. If they squeak out another two seasons I'd be shocked. I'm sure the Mountain division (Colorado, Idaho, Alaska & Utah) wouldn't mind adding in Rapid City. I don't think Arizona is that strong financially, but geographically it could fit in with the California ECHL teams. Plus Wichita, Kansas City, Tulsa, and one or both of the Dallas area teams are in pretty strong markets. Those teams could finally form a third western division.

Now I'm not saying ALL of that would happen. But when the dust settles, I'm sure the ECHL will add at least three financially strong teams that would boost the ECHL's presence. Big only hurts you if the travel doesn't make sense or you are loaded with weak markets.
Not to be rude, but I think that the ECHL does have some weak markets. One of them is the one I follow the most. I look for Wheeling to be out of the league in about three more years so one of the CHL teams could take its place.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
  #5
Slowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Not to be rude, but I think that the ECHL does have some weak markets. One of them is the one I follow the most. I look for Wheeling to be out of the league in about three more years so one of the CHL teams could take its place.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I didn't meant to imply that all current ECHL teams are strong. Expanding geographically and adding large markets, could increase the travel of smaller, more financially strapped markets. But so far the ECHL has managed to put pretty good clusters together so travel doesn't appear to be too much of a concern.

Let's say the ECHL did add a Dallas area team, Tulsa, Wichita, and Kansas city as their own division. That could be stressful travel from some of the California teams depending on how they were scheduled or how often they played. But if I recall the attendance in those markets is pretty solid and they aren't something the ECHL could ignore. Worth the risk in my opinion.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
  #6
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
KC tried the UHL before...that didn't go so swell.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
  #7
royals119
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
The CHL has GOT to be on it's last legs. If they squeak out another two seasons I'd be shocked. I'm sure the Mountain division (Colorado, Idaho, Alaska & Utah) wouldn't mind adding in Rapid City. I don't think Arizona is that strong financially, but geographically it could fit in with the California ECHL teams. Plus Wichita, Kansas City, Tulsa, and one or both of the Dallas area teams are in pretty strong markets. Those teams could finally form a third western division.

Now I'm not saying ALL of that would happen. But when the dust settles, I'm sure the ECHL will add at least three financially strong teams that would boost the ECHL's presence. Big only hurts you if the travel doesn't make sense or you are loaded with weak markets.
When I saw that "three more teams" thing I wondered if that was an effort to get the stronger CHL teams to jump ship and come over to the ECHL. I can't see any reason why they would not take another team if the ownership was sound and the arena deal made sense. But with the CHL looking shaky, the limit might encourage some of those teams to come over sooner so they don't get shut out and have no league to go to if the CHL does fold.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.