Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finns Drafted This Year

Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

vCash: 500
Finns Drafted This Year

18 - Chicago Blackhawks chose Teuvo Teräväinen (C/W) (Jokerit)

22 - Pittsburgh Penguins chose Olli Määttä (D) (London Knights)

34 - New York Islanders chose Ville Pokka (D) (Kärpät)

62 - Columbus Blue Jackets chose Joonas Korpisalo (G) (Jokerit)

74 - Dallas Stars chose Esa Lindell (D) (Jokerit)

118 - Nashville Predators chose Mikko Vainonen (D) (HIFK)

144 - Dallas Stars chose Henri Kiviaho (G) (KalPa)

148 - Phoenix Coyotes chose Niklas Tikkinen (D) (Blues)

176 - St Louis Blues chose Petteri Lindbohm (D) (Blues)

Donskoi didn't get picked after re-entering

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Ullberg didn't get picked in the 7th round.. weird..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Donskoi didn't get picked after re-entering
That's good news for the Panthers. Hopefully he signs there as a UFA even though they don't have his rights anymore.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:59 AM
RKC

Seriously we need Granlund and Vatanen to make their teams and produce in the NHL next season. It's getting painfully obvious that teams are afraid to pick from Finland, and I don't blame them. It's been almost a decade since FEL produced a impact player to the big league and it really shows in the draft.

Only one forward drafted

I don't know why Henri Ikonen wasn't picked at all? Mikko Lehtonen going undrafted was bit surprising too.

RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

So which player makes it to the NHL first??

Last edited by vsk92: 06-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
So which player makes it to the NHL first??
Pokka next season after he signs a max ELC and is Islanders ticket to the salary floor.

But seriously, TT probably. Määttä would be pretty close with him, but I expect Määttä to start in the AHL because of Pens depth in 2014-2015. TT in the same year, but since Hawks have less depth I suppose he at least starts in the NHL roster. Maybe gets sent down after a dozen games or so, but still I expect him to start in the NHL at 2014-2015.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

I'm not really familiar with Nashville's D strength but what about Mikko Vainonen, he's a decent size already but hasn't played in the top league yet so plays in the SM for the next 2/3 years to get some experience and then goes over

Last edited by vsk92: 06-23-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Hzzz

Only 1 foward drafted like seriously, Henri Ikonen wasn't drafted, Rasmus Kulmala wasn't drafted etc and at the same time teams are selecting "neverheard" swedes like there is no tomorrow

Hzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
IFK

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with Nashville's D strength but what about Mikko Vainonen, he's a decent size already but hasn't played in the top league yet so plays in the SM for the next 2/3 years to get some experience and then goes over
I think it takes some time Mikko Vainonen get that level, just like Joonas Järvinen. I hope i am wrong and Vainonen's potential just grow and he will get him in the NHL sooner. He play last year 8 games SM-Liiga and IMO, he was one of the safest player in own end in every game. I like him a lot!

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
I think it takes some time Mikko Vainonen get that level, just like Joonas Järvinen. I hope i am wrong and Vainonen's potential just grow and he will get him in the NHL sooner. He play last year 8 games SM-Liiga and IMO, he was one of the safest player in own end in every game. I like him a lot!
what do you think the defence pairings will be??

Soderholm - Jokela

Melart - Klubertanz

Varakas - Salmi

Kuvinen - Vainonen

or am I way off

Old
06-24-2012, 03:59 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I'm shocked that Ullberg didn't get picked.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Finnpin

Quote:

176 - St Louis Blues chose Petteri Lindbohm (D) (Blues)
Jokerit property atm.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osk1994 View Post
Only 1 foward drafted
But Finland is the promised land of defencemen?!

Not big surprise Ullberg wasn't picked. It was pretty fifty-sixty. Same goes to Donskoi

Outside Ring III drafted players: Pokka and Kiviaho. (I don't count Määttä because he wasn't playng in Finland)

Last year: Armia, Salomäki, Perhonen, Pakarinen, Jokipakka.

2010: Donskoi, Aittokallio, Rask.

So does juniors suck outside ring III or is it just that Jokerit/HIFK/Blues steals others juniors?

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
So does juniors suck outside ring III or is it just that Jokerit/HIFK/Blues steals others juniors?
Well at least none of the 8 kids drafted from Jokerit in 2010-2012 are stolen from "outside ring III". I think it's more about exposure and the larger amount on juniors.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Gardiner Expressway

vCash: 450
How about Matt Finn to Toronto in round 2?

Gardiner Expressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupulMania View Post
How about Matt Finn to Toronto in round 2?
Matia Marcantuoni (4th round Penguins) has some Finnish elements in his name

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:29 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

The total numbers aren't improving (yet) but at least the quality's getting gradually better.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:54 AM
TheRocket87

Was just browsing Eliteprospects and it hit me. The once very promising Kalle Torniainen wasn't drafted at all. I understand he was injured for the season, but still not even a last round boom/bust pick? I've never seen the guy but he was the Pohjola MVP and has gotten his fair share of hype in Finland. Have injuries totally halted he's development and maybe someone could infrom me of his current state?

TheRocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
Was just browsing Eliteprospects and it hit me. The once very promising Kalle Torniainen wasn't drafted at all. I understand he was injured for the season, but still not even a last round boom/bust pick? I've never seen the guy but he was the Pohjola MVP and has gotten his fair share of hype in Finland. Have injuries totally halted he's development and maybe someone could infrom me of his current state?
Pohjola-camp MVP award must be cursed or something. Last MVP to make the NHL is Sean Bergenheim, who was MVP in 1999.

I don't know what's the situation with Torniainen, but I think his development started to slow down in his final season in Sweden. This season was basically lost totally after he got injured in fall and didn't play since, so I'm not surprised no one used a pick on a smallish European who had lost most of the season due to injury.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
nonoob12

i dont know what is it that NHL teams dont want to draft finns they maybe think that every finns dream is play in khl but it is not like that.
yes we live next to russia but our players still dream at playing in NHL.

we are not like belarus or ukraine even most of our NT players are from KHL they play there only becouse they want litle more CASH

so its crazy that NHL teams dont pick guys like this in late rounds
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40405

yeah insteadt picking one best forwards of A JR SM Liiga lets pick some guy ramdom
from some random leugue with random stats but never EVER!! pick finnish guy
why??
becouse they can leave to KHL to make some money and do like this

Last edited by nonoob12: 06-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoob12 View Post
i dont know what is it that NHL teams dont want to draft finns they maybe think that every finns dream is play in khl but it is not like that.
yes we live next to russia but our players still dream at playing in NHL.

we are not like belarus or ukraine even most of our NT players are from KHL they play there only becouse they want litle more CASH

so its crazy that NHL teams dont pick guys like this in late rounds
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40405

yeah insteadt picking one best forwards of A JR SM Liiga lets pick some guy ramdom
from some random leugue with random stats but never EVER!! pick finnish guy
why??
becouse they can leave to KHL to make some money and do like this
Under-sized overage forward with average skating = no NHL future.

Finns aren't drafted anymore because it's been almost a decade since SM-liiga has produced an impact player to NHL, thanks to Nuori Suomi. Not only did NS ruin almost 10 age groups of players, they weakened significantly next 5 age groups chances to get drafted. Thank god this matter has been handled and generally age groups are getting stronger every year. I think Vatanen's and Granlund's next season will be a bigger factor in next years draft for Finns than most people realize.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
nonoob12

i agree that kallela doesnt look like that hes gonna be nhl player but whit those points and swedish nationality i pretty sure that someone would pick him later rounds.

so if vatanen plays so good season as erik karlsson in next yers draft everyone wants to get their own vatanen and starts pick finnish defensemans same thing with granlund they have to show to NHL that Finnish leugue can still produce future super stars

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Finns aren't drafted anymore because it's been almost a decade since SM-liiga has produced an impact player to NHL, thanks to Nuori Suomi. Not only did NS ruin almost 10 age groups of players, they weakened significantly next 5 age groups chances to get drafted. Thank god this matter has been handled and generally age groups are getting stronger every year. I think Vatanen's and Granlund's next season will be a bigger factor in next years draft for Finns than most people realize.
I don't buy that NS was the problem. There were/are much bigger issues. Focusing on wrong kind of things.

It's easy to slap Nuori Suomi just because it started about the same time than Finland stopped developing elite players.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
I don't buy that NS was the problem. There were/are much bigger issues. Focusing on wrong kind of things.

It's easy to slap Nuori Suomi just because it started about the same time than Finland stopped developing elite players.
Agreed, it's not so simple that NS is to blame for everything. Sure, there are some very unoptimal sides to Nuori Suomi, but the biggest problem has been coaching ideologies and concentrating too much on team play and "pelikirja" at a young age. Basically shaping young players as grinders and not letting young skilled players to play their skill game.

NS-ideology isn't bad in the sense that it lets the kids play, and there are different level teams and leagues fit for everyone. Good players are developed by making them enjoy playing the game, not by killing their love for the game. Still, the most talented kids need to be given as much playing time as possible, and at least now this is what's happening, I'm not sure how it has been 5-8 years ago.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

I don't think being undrafted is the end of the world for players, they can come back next year and try again and they will only be 19 so they have lots of time to improve and go to the NHL later on

But obviously being drafted has major advantages

Old
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Under-sized overage forward with average skating = no NHL future.
Toni Kallela’s NHL upside might be a bit questionable just like with Miro Aaltonen and Robert Leino, but I wouldn’t call him an average skater. He was one of the top skaters in Jr.A this season, his speed coming down the wing and ability to change direction quickly made him unstoppable at times.

Quote:
I think Vatanen's and Granlund's next season will be a bigger factor in next years draft for Finns than most people realize.
Vatanen and Granlund could easily have difficulties next season, it’s their first year in North America and both have deficiencies that aren’t that easy to overcome. Vatanen is small for a defenseman and Granlund isn’t that fast for a small forward. First and foremost players are evaluated as individuals, and Barkov and Ristolainen have attributes that haven’t been seen in Finnish prospects in 10 years. Scouts will understand this when they see these guys play. Barkov will be compared against Mikko Koivu, not Mikael Granlund, and Ristolainen will be compared more against Joni Pitkänen than Sami Vatanen. SM-liiga hasn’t produced much NHL players lately, but I believe that that has a bit more to do with the lack of young talent than the ability to develop players in our top league.

Among others, guys like Lauri Tukonen and Petteri Nokelainen didn’t pan out, but I wouldn’t make big conclusions from a sample size of 5 to 10 players. It’s a numbers game and the fact is that we have lacked depth in our prospect pool. We need to have more volume and luckily things are looking a bit better in that aspect.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote