HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs select Sebastian Collberg - 33rd overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
marvelousmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
When the draft started I could never even dream of Collberg falling to #33.
Same, never thought Montreal had a chance to draft him. I'm very thrilled about this pick and can't wait to see his progression. He has the offensive skills and determination to be a top-line forward for Montreal.

At the start of the WJC, I had very little clue who that guy was. I was following Sweden games closely because I wanted to watch Filip Forsberg play. However, the guy who caught my attention ended up being Collberg. It was interesting to see a name I was not familiar with stand out because that Sweden team was loaded with previously NHL drafted forwards like Zibanejad, Rakell, Karlsson, Larsson, Sundstrom, Friberg etc.

I told myself, "we should draft him", not because of the skills he showcased, but because he plays a relentless type of game that I like to see in players. You can see that he has determination on top of skills, and that's where the Alfredsson comparisons really comes into play in my opinion. As the draft approached, I never even thought about the possibility of him being a Habs, especially after his WJC performance believing that he would be gone as a late first-rounder at worst.

I guess the reason Collberg fell all the way to 33rd overall other than because of his size and the preference towards drafting Ds, is the fact that he may take longer to develop into an effective NHLer compared to some other prospects chosen in the first round who seem safer/closer at this point (i.e. Henrik Samuelsson). Then again, who knows, he may surprise. Not a lot of people predicted that Jeff Skinner would do so well in the NHL that quickly.

Last edited by marvelousmotion: 06-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

"Sebastian doesn't need to sit and suck on naglarna for very long"

What the **** is a naglarna?

Now worries Sebastian, pretty sure that naglarna sucking is strictly prohibited at the Bell Centre. Even Gomez who sucks every game day might turn his nose up at a naglarna.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:25 AM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Naglarna = the nails
(but the sentence sounds weird)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You can keep us updated on them.

Engqvist may be Swedish, but Collberg is a real prospect for the habs. One you can get excited for
I'll try to watch many games via TV and a few live and I'll keep you posted as much as possible with highlights and thoughts. I really hope he gets a regular spot in the top-9 this year.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:34 AM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Now worries Sebastian, pretty sure that naglarna sucking is strictly prohibited at the Bell Centre. Even Gomez who sucks every game day might turn his nose up at a naglarna.
Don't know why it would translate to "suck on naglarna" because it say's "bita på naglarna" which is "bite your nails" meaning being nervous.

Don't know how bite becomes suck...

EDIT: i guess it's better than the other way around, in certain situations [/sexjoke]

Last edited by AE: 06-26-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post

I'll try to watch many games via TV and a few live and I'll keep you posted as much as possible with highlights and thoughts. I really hope he gets a regular spot in the top-9 this year.
Think he might be able to get that kind of ice time ?

Old
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Think he might be able to get that kind of ice time ?
Who knows, his team just signed Dick Axelsson, who should be a top 6 winger, to and already deep team. Going to be tough.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Who knows, his team just signed Dick Axelsson, who should be a top 6 winger, to and already deep team. Going to be tough.
Some forward spots have opened up, though, with Pyorala and Pettersson confirmed to the KHL, and Sundstrom heading to the Islanders AHL club most likely.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I was pretty adament about my desire to trade down to grab Grigs and then trade back up to get Collberg. Still can't believe we got him at #33.

Here's a vid I found of Swedens game against Russia and one play in particular that I think people should check out:

http://www.strizna.cz/video/sweden-vs-russia-548.aspx

The backcheck @9:15 by #15. That's the type of player we got to go along with his speed, hands, and sniping ability. He's a total stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
The comment was in direct relation to my growing belief that this years Giroux/Karlsson is Sebastian Collberg, and most mock drafts have him in the 10-15 range.

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 06-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
znk

Quote:
I was pretty adament about my desire to trade down to grab Grigs and then trade back up to get Collberg. Still can't believe we got him at #33.

Here's a vid I found of Swedens game against Russia and one play in particular that I think people should check out:

The backcheck @9:15 by #15. That's the type of player we got to go along with his speed, hands, and sniping ability. He's a total stud.
The video is too slow (watching from work) but the comments are a blast.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:

He has the potential to be a great compliment to Gally too. This is the kind of identity I want - speed, intensity - Canadiens hockey.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
NotProkofievian

For anyone who wants to watch Collberg's games, that site has a complete archive of the U18 tournament.

http://www.strizna.cz/kategorie/hokej-14-0.aspx

I suppose the Finland one, and Germany one are probably the best ones to watch Collberg running an offensive train on their opponents.

Does anyone know of a similar archive for the 2012 WJC?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He has the potential to be a great compliment to Gally too. This is the kind of identity I want - speed, intensity - Canadiens hockey.
Funny to think we may have drafted 2/3's of a future first line with gally/collberg

Old
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Funny to think we may have drafted 2/3's of a future first line with gally/collberg
its about damn time we luck out at the draft, we deserve it

i want to see collberg paired with gally in the preseason, and see what happens, its exciting cuz u know theyll try it

Old
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
For anyone who wants to watch Collberg's games, that site has a complete archive of the U18 tournament.

http://www.strizna.cz/kategorie/hokej-14-0.aspx

I suppose the Finland one, and Germany one are probably the best ones to watch Collberg running an offensive train on their opponents.

Does anyone know of a similar archive for the 2012 WJC?
Against Finland he scored the 6th and the 7th goal, for those who wonders.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
charlie

Collberg kinda reminds me of Kessel

Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

i want to see collberg paired with gally in the preseason, and see what happens, its exciting cuz u know theyll try it
I wouldn't say it's "about time" we luck out at a draft when just a few years ago we nabbed McDonagh/Pacioretty/Subban with our first three picks. And at the time Weber seemed like a sure thing too

Old
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:

I dont even think Gally is eligible for the pre-season if he has a contract in Sweden.. Is he?

Old
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I dont even think Gally is eligible for the pre-season if he has a contract in Sweden.. Is he?
i think you mean collberg, and i just honestly dont know if he can, just hoping

Old
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
KRM

Quote:
i think you mean collberg, and i just honestly dont know if he can, just hoping
The SEL season has started by then, so it would be a huge gamble since you just can't send him home and expect him to go straight into Frölunda's line up without having played pre-season with them. Collberg will most likely be over for rookie camp for your management to see where he's at and what they feel he needs to work at, and then be sent back with trust that he will grab a spot in the top six with Frölunda.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I do know Collberg was not pleased with his how he was handled last year, and I do know Timmins is going to try and get him to come to the CHL. We will see.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
I do know Collberg was not pleased with his how he was handled last year, and I do know Timmins is going to try and get him to come to the CHL. We will see.
Is that still part of Timmins job? My understanding was that he's now strictly in charge of amature scouting and nothing else.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:59 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Really? Link?

Old
06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
He can't, he's already under contract in Sweden... his team would have to let him go... which would be very doubtfull.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
KRM

Quote:
Baloney.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
Same, never thought Montreal had a chance to draft him. I'm very thrilled about this pick and can't wait to see his progression. He has the offensive skills and determination to be a top-line forward for Montreal.

At the start of the WJC, I had very little clue who that guy was. I was following Sweden games closely because I wanted to watch Filip Forsberg play. However, the guy who caught my attention ended up being Collberg. It was interesting to see a name I was not familiar with stand out because that Sweden team was loaded with previously NHL drafted forwards like Zibanejad, Rakell, Karlsson, Larsson, Sundstrom, Friberg etc.

I told myself, "we should draft him", not because of the skills he showcased, but because he plays a relentless type of game that I like to see in players. You can see that he has determination on top of skills, and that's where the Alfredsson comparisons really comes into play in my opinion. As the draft approached, I never even thought about the possibility of him being a Habs, especially after his WJC performance believing that he would be gone as a late first-rounder at worst.

I guess the reason Collberg fell all the way to 33rd overall other than because of his size and the preference towards drafting Ds, is the fact that he may take longer to develop into an effective NHLer compared to some other prospects chosen in the first round who seem safer/closer at this point (i.e. Henrik Samuelsson). Then again, who knows, he may surprise. Not a lot of people predicted that Jeff Skinner would do so well in the NHL that quickly.

I was way more exited when we drafted Collberg than when we drafted Gally. Sure Gally is great but I knew before the draft that there is more than 50% chance that he would be available at number 3. Collberg on the other hand, should have been gone by 15-20 at the very latest.

I read an article before the draft that claimed that Collberg may be as good, or better, than Forsberg. I searched but I can't find it. Here is a link to another pre-draft article that is pro Collberg:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/04/...tian-collberg/

Closed Thread