HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency/off-season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The following year, we don't bring back Jagr and call up Galchenyuk. Let him center the 2nd line. Work out a deal for Kane.

Kane - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais
Moen - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Ott - White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu

me
Price
I'm confused.

You have Kane in the line up, as well as Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban, Tinordi, and Beaulieu.

What exactly did you give up to get Kane?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
2.9 for a 4th line centerman?

What will Prust cost to sign?

And what will Ott cost to acquire?

I dunno, like the sounds of that line but it might be kind of unrealistic.
If it is, it's still the blue print for the type of fourth line we need. No more mismatched defenceman playing forward, soft minor league players, aging clueless journeyman. Needs toughness but players who can still play the game. If we can't get the big names like Prust, McClement, Ott, etc... Therrien and Bergevin will make sure we scoop the bargain bin nicely!

And yeah, it's a lot.. but small price to finally be a four line team again. They may play 10 mins a nite, but keep in mind penalty kill, injuries, etc... it's nice to have fourth liners that can play on your third at any time.

As long as the bottom six is more Travis Moen's of the world, less Mathieu Darche's of the world I'll be happy.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
If it is, it's still the blue print for the type of fourth line we need. No more mismatched defenceman playing forward, soft minor league players, aging clueless journeyman. Needs toughness but players who can still play the game. If we can't get the big names like Prust, McClement, Ott, etc... Therrien and Bergevin will make sure we scoop the bargain bin nicely!

And yeah, it's a lot.. but small price to finally be a four line team again. They may play 10 mins a nite, but keep in mind penalty kill, injuries, etc... it's nice to have fourth liners that can play on your third at any time.

As long as the bottom six is more Travis Moen's of the world, less Mathieu Darche's of the world I'll be happy.
Agreed.

I would be happy if in the next day or two Moen re-signed. Love everything he brings to the table.

Was reading the paper today, saw the Nucks won't be offering Rome a contract.

He might be someone for the Habs to look into signing, he's not an all star but he's a solid bottom pairing guy who is pretty tough as well.

For the 4th line, I'd like to see Steve Bernier brought in. I never liked Konopka before, but he really impressed me in the series against the Rangers. At this point I'd be okay with signing him.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Ginu

Quote:
I'm confused.

You have Kane in the line up, as well as Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban, Tinordi, and Beaulieu.

What exactly did you give up to get Kane?
We have tonnes of draft picks next year plus I haven't included Leblanc, Bournival, etc.

I'd give 1st in 2013, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder + Leblanc, or edit the offer and give one of our young defensemen.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
yianik

Like alot of posters Ive been tsaying we need a top 6 winger as well.Ive started second guessing myself a bit though. I thought about some of the young skilled forwards we parted with ( rightly or wrongly, that isnt the point of my post ) who could actually be playing a scoring role with us now. Whether it was their fault or coaches /GM fault, what happened is the player thought he had paid his dues and wanted to playon a line he could produce, but found himself with limited minutes and on the 4th line. Player got frustrated, acted stupidly and was eventually on the way out.
Also thought about Patches. After his first try at NHL many thought he was just young and needed time, and to play more in AHL.Many others thought he was a bust and at best a 3rd liner. He turned into a hell of a player on a cheap RFA contract.
Guess what IM wondering is do we have any young players with the Habs and/ or prospects coming to AHL that in a year or two could be scorers to some degree ie 20 goals that we should have room for at least in the top 9 winger position ?.By going out and getting one of the few top UFAs ( I would take Parise I will say ), we would have to sign the guy to at least 4-5 years and take away yet another winger position at a very high price for years. Then if we do have a young guy or two with good NHL skill and ability maybe they never get their chance and we miss out on a home grown, 20 goal guy that we couid be paying a million for instead of the $6M for the 28-30 goals the UFA brings.
Maybe we should look at UFAs who could put up 20 goals and would sign for just a couple of years, like ,..AK, who looked good with Eller. Doesnt have to be AK, but just somebody who would take a short term deal.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
We have tonnes of draft picks next year plus I haven't included Leblanc, Bournival, etc.

I'd give 1st in 2013, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder + Leblanc, or edit the offer and give one of our young defensemen.
Kane isn't going anywhere unless Galchenyuk or Pacioretty is going the other way.

Unless the Habs are a lcok for a lottery position draft spot and give their 1st rounder next year.

And then...why the hell would we want that?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not sure that will get you E.Kane.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Kane isn't going anywhere unless Galchenyuk or Pacioretty is going the other way.

Unless the Habs are a lcok for a lottery position draft spot and give their 1st rounder next year.

If Kane wants out this summer, we may not have to wait that long. If you give two / three first rounders and a 2nd, if they don't bite you move on. These lineups aren't set in stone homie. They're subjective based on what we think we need.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
If Kane wants out this summer, we may not have to wait that long. If you give two / three first rounders and a 2nd, if they don't bite you move on. These lineups aren't set in stone homie. They're subjective based on what we think we need.
Why would we want to acquire a malcontent who thinks he's bigger than the team and at 21 years of age wants to dictate where he plays?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

We are finally doing this the right way in Montreal, not the time to pull a Brian Burke and **** things up by trading future picks and prospects.

Right now if we want to go after a big name player it's by UFA, nothing to give up to acquire that player, not that it's going to be easy to attract a player with skill here

Old
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Pavelec's new contract

With Pavelec signing 19.5M/5yrs (3.9/per), how does this affect Price's new contract.

Both are 24 years old, #1 goalies for their team. Each team is not stellar, so goalies are cornerstones of their success.

Globally, stats favor Price. But not that much...

Pavelec: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471715
Price: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471679

So, still think Price is gonna sign over 6M/per?

As another comparable....Price is no Rinne...yet...

I'm thinking mid-term deal between 4-5M would appear to be the likelyhood of retaining Price's services.

Old
Ginu

Quote:
Why would we want to acquire a malcontent who thinks he's bigger than the team and at 21 years of age wants to dictate where he plays?
Since you're not in his head, let's assume that we don't know the whole story shall we?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We are finally doing this the right way in Montreal, not the time to pull a Brian Burke and **** things up by trading future picks and prospects.

Right now if we want to go after a big name player it's by UFA, nothing to give up to acquire that player, not that it's going to be easy to attract a player with skill here
Oh I couldn't agree more.

ALthough it's not that the Habs don't have anything to give up to acquire a player like that, but that they need to keep the players worth giving up in trades like that.

Really hoping for a couple of 1 year deals this offseason, and then reassess things next Summer, see where the young guys progressed, see how the older guys rebounded (or didn't) and look into making some UFA long term signings/trades then.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Prust, Ott, Jagr and Allen

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque -Plekanec - Jagr
Moen - Eller - Gionta
Prust - Ott - White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Allen - Diaz

Price
me
Your bottom six forwards have a cap hit of somewhere around 14 million dollars....

Old
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
With Pavelec signing 19.5M/5yrs (3.9/per), how does this affect Price's new contract.

Both are 24 years old, #1 goalies for their team. Each team is not stellar, so goalies are cornerstones of their success.

I'm thinking mid-term deal between 4-5M would appear to be the likelyhood of retaining Price's services.
Depending on the number of years he gets, I think were looking at a cap hit in between 4.75 and 6 for Price

Old
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Oh I couldn't agree more.

ALthough it's not that the Habs don't have anything to give up to acquire a player like that, but that they need to keep the players worth giving up in trades like that.

Really hoping for a couple of 1 year deals this offseason, and then reassess things next Summer, see where the young guys progressed, see how the older guys rebounded (or didn't) and look into making some UFA long term signings/trades then.
Agreed, guys like Jagr and Semin i'd be all over them if they're willing to sign 1 year deals

Old
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Since you're not in his head, let's assume that we don't know the whole story shall we?
Whether I'm "in his head" or not. If you force your way out of a city at 21 you're a malcontent who thinks he's bigger than the team.

What the hell do I need to be in his head to find out?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I want Carkner nowhere, and I do mean nowhere, near this team.
And why is that?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Here's the flaw with that argument. Not only do the stats favor Price but he's got quite a significant sample size over Pavelec to boot. He's been putting up Brodeur-like seasons in terms of GP for the past 2 seasons while sustaining an avg of .920 with a lottery year. He's been doing it longer (and better) and has playoff games under his belt too with a series where he outplayed the Conn Smythe trophy winner only to lose in 7 with a .934 sv%. He's no Rinne but he's closer to him than to Pavelec.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

I can see Price having a similar back-loaded contract netting him more money total and a higher cap hit. If Bergevin can get to a 5-5.5M cap hit that would be great.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
And why is that?
Presumably because he's not a very good hockey player, in his opinion.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

scratch another guy off the list...

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
3 ans / 6 millions pour Shane O'Brien avec l'Avalanche

Old
06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
scratch another guy off the list...

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
3 ans / 6 millions pour Shane O'Brien avec l'Avalanche
Surprised they re-signed him, he was brutal for them all year.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He wasn't that bad actually. He brings a lot to the table even if he makes errors every now and then.

This sucks. I wanted him for the 3rd pairing

Old
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He wasn't brutal. He actually looked good when he was on the bottom pairing, but he was an absolute trainwreck when he was playing alongside EJ. I don't like this deal, but he would get that 2.0mil on the market.

Closed Thread