HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Being undersized is generally a huge problem playing in north america....with rampant concussions. You need the luck to avoid injury to get yourself established. So Blugers has to stay healthy. Haralds (without the ending -s it's one of the most commen old viking age danish/norwegian king names) Egle looks promising, but so did Kirill Starkov at that age. Anything can yet happen, and big injuries at teenage years can be devestating for developement.

For Denmark it's definitely Oliver Bjørkstrand (that played on the Herning baby line with big brother Patrick (now Mora) and Thomas Spelling): I think it's 1994-1995 born that can be drafted next year right?

So almost certain:
Oliver Bjørkstrand (1995):
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92803
His stats are really amazing considering he was playing with adults on the Herning squad at his age. Pretty good U18 and U20 stats as well for Denmark.....close dual losses to Latvia send us down both places!

Maybe's
Kristoffer Lauridsen (1994)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66076
This guy has really been under the radar and then he did amazingly well at the U20 WC -> I mean 5 Matches 4G/4A while Denmark was being trashed by most teams (and better than Thomas Spelling that's 1 year older)!

Mads Eller (1995)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351
Brother of Lars Eller so that gives some hopes of talent. But in my opinion he really underperformed at U18 and U20. So this year it will be seen if he can break out or not at the U18 level.

For draft in 2014 we have Nikolaj Ehlers (1996).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66581
Absurd good stats for playing U20 when you are 15-16 years old!

So all in all I would probably think that at least 1 danish draft in 2013 and 1 in 2014.
Wow that bjorkstrand guy looks real good where in draft would you project him? 1st round 2 round? Overall?
But regarding Blugers hes not THAT undersized hes 6`0 or for us europeans thats 183 cm,its not like hes a midget, im just saying he looks kinda small next to the Zemgus"Big Z" Girgensons.
on topic of egle- i think hes the best 2014 draft eligble player after rihards bukarts,he looks promising,hope he goes the same way girgensons did,anyway for latvia in 2013 it could 1-2 drafted in later rounds and in 2014 3-4 guys in first rounds (hope bukarts will be a first rounder)

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Wow that bjorkstrand guy looks real good where in draft would you project him? 1st round 2 round? Overall?
But regarding Blugers hes not THAT undersized hes 6`0 or for us europeans thats 183 cm,its not like hes a midget, im just saying he looks kinda small next to the Zemgus"Big Z" Girgensons.
on topic of egle- i think hes the best 2014 draft eligble player after rihards bukarts,he looks promising,hope he goes the same way girgensons did,anyway for latvia in 2013 it could 1-2 drafted in later rounds and in 2014 3-4 guys in first rounds (hope bukarts will be a first rounder)
Ah OK...Blugers as 1.83 - just like Frans Nielsen. It's still probably the lower margin where NHL coaches starts to wonder if it's worth it. Nielsen is very prone to injuries because of his small size, but had so far avoided really bad ones (thats Regin's department with 3 time dislocated shoulder). Zemgus goes at 14'th because of his size......been smaller he would probably have gone 2'nd round on same skill level.

So Latvia really has it going the next years...you must be really really exited for 2014...seems like early 1990's again?!
Im just happy that Denmark seems to be able to produce 1 NHL draftee every year in average.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_...php?NationID=7

I would think Oliver Bjørkstrand probably could go as 2-3 round pick because of size (only 1.80). Frans Nielsen and Peter Regin only went 3'rd round.
Hopefully he will still grow some. But big brother Patrick only made 1.84 cm.
If Nicolai Ehlers continue his development he could definitely go first round! But at that age you don't have any idea if what his size will be. (can't find any current stats on his height or weight)

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Ah OK...Blugers as 1.83 - just like Frans Nielsen. It's still probably the lower margin where NHL coaches starts to wonder if it's worth it. Nielsen is very prone to injuries because of his small size, but had so far avoided really bad ones (thats Regin's department with 3 time dislocated shoulder). Zemgus goes at 14'th because of his size......been smaller he would probably have gone 2'nd round on same skill level.

So Latvia really has it going the next years...you must be really really exited for 2014...seems like early 1990's again?!
Im just happy that Denmark seems to be able to produce 1 NHL draftee every year in average.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_...php?NationID=7

I would think Oliver Bjørkstrand probably could go as 2-3 round pick because of size (only 1.80). Frans Nielsen and Peter Regin only went 3'rd round.
Hopefully he will still grow some. But big brother Patrick only made 1.84 cm.
If Nicolai Ehlers continue his development he could definitely go first round! But at that age you don't have any idea if what his size will be. (can't find any current stats on his height or weight)
Well yeah,hope Bluger pans out in 3-4 years no need to rush him,but you know you are a bit underestimating Girgensons skill level (i would even go as far as comparing him to gabriel landeskog) yeah he hits and is good on defence but trust me when i say this he has enough skill to be a 2 liner in NHL
But yes were very excited our hockey development hasnt been this good since soviet era or atleast the last 15 years or so ,btw i`ll be keeping eye on this Nicolai Ehlers guy,might be a real good player for Denmark

Old
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
I think the same. Maybe he can get the 9 alllowed NHL matches and play the rest in NCAA
NCAA doesn't work like that

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well yeah,hope Bluger pans out in 3-4 years no need to rush him,but you know you are a bit underestimating Girgensons skill level (i would even go as far as comparing him to gabriel landeskog) yeah he hits and is good on defence but trust me when i say this he has enough skill to be a 2 liner in NHL
But yes were very excited our hockey development hasnt been this good since soviet era or atleast the last 15 years or so ,btw i`ll be keeping eye on this Nicolai Ehlers guy,might be a real good player for Denmark
Ah I dont underestimate his skill lavel. Im just saying his size is a huge bonus for him. If he had been 1.83 he wouldn't a been a 14'th pick. Only supertalented players like Yakupov get's picked very high up when being small (1.79 cm).
Nicklas Jensen got to be first round pick last year also because of size!

By the way....the amount a early drafted defenders this year is insane. Filip Forsberg and Grigorenko got drafted insanely low!

Yeah Nikolaj Ehlers is one we all want information on, but playing in Switzerland I don't really have any info other than elite prospects.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Ah I dont underestimate his skill lavel. Im just saying his size is a huge bonus for him. If he had been 1.83 he wouldn't a been a 14'th pick. Only supertalented players like Yakupov get's picked very high up when being small (1.79 cm).
Nicklas Jensen got to be first round pick last year also because of size!

By the way....the amount a early drafted defenders this year is insane. Filip Forsberg and Grigorenko got drafted insanely low!

Yeah Nikolaj Ehlers is one we all want information on, but playing in Switzerland I don't really have any info other than elite prospects.
Yeah too bad it looks like Latvia has a lot of good forward prospects but not a lot of D`s,that could be a problem after a few years,hope some rookie defencemen will show up who can play atleast at a KHL level so our defence wouldnt look as horrendous as it does.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
BalticWarrior

Roberts Locans is also worth noting http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=91129 ,don`t know much about him but ive heard he has plenty of offensive skill.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
NCAA doesn't work like that
Ah ok.....so when does the max 9 matches apply then. Isn't when you still keep rights to a draft, but don't need to sign full contract?
So it's only when a player is send playing in AHL?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Roberts Locans is also worth noting http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=91129 ,don`t know much about him but ive heard he has plenty of offensive skill.
He is moving to AIK U18 in Sweden! Thats what the danish players are doing....funny to see a latvian doing the same. Interesting why he didn't choose to stay in Riga?!
But also very good stats (yep must have offensive skills ).....as 16 in U18 league.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
He is moving to AIK U18 in Sweden! Thats what the danish players are doing....funny to see a latvian doing the same. Interesting why he didn't choose to stay in Riga?!
But also very good stats (yep must have offensive skills ).....as 16 in U18 league.
Because if you want to go pro,you go abroad sweden,us,canada,finland whatever and if youre skilled enough you try to get into NHL and if you cant do that you try KHL.Btw this guys also 2014 eligble

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 06-26-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Because if you want to go pro,you go abroad sweden,us,canada,finland whatever and if youre skilled enough you try to get into NHL and if you cant do that you try KHL.
So its the youth development that is suffering so much in Latvia that even an allsvenskan U18 is a better choice?!
- but still not sinking as low as danish division II (all amateur/youth combined league) though we got Mustukovs in league I last year!

Old
06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So its the youth development that is suffering so much in Latvia that even an allsvenskan U18 is a better choice?!
- but still not sinking as low as danish division II (all amateur/youth combined league) though we got Mustukovs in league I last year!
Its not that its that god awful,but he probably sees more oppurtunities in sweden.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
BalticWarrior

Btw if i understand correctly Rihards Bukarts will spend one more year in MHL and only then he will move to NA.Cant tell if its a good or a bad move,well see.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Its not that its that god awful,but he probably sees more oppurtunities in sweden.
Sweden is the breeding ground for most danish players. A few went directly to USA (Jannik Hansen, Kirill Starkov), one has done Vilnius and then Finland (Magnus Leth Nielsen), then those whose parents live in either Germany and Switzerland play there but all the rest i think went by sweden.
Denmark has used Swedens proximity to a great advantage. Especially if you live in Copenhagen and then play in Malmö it takes like 30 min to practice

Old
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Sweden is the breeding ground for most danish players. A few went directly to USA (Jannik Hansen, Kirill Starkov), one has done Vilnius and then Finland (Magnus Leth Nielsen), then those whose parents live in either Germany and Switzerland play there but all the rest i think went by sweden.
Denmark has used Swedens proximity to a great advantage. Especially if you live in Copenhagen and then play in Malmö it takes like 30 min to practice
So what you think about this guy moving to allsevnskan ju18? could it be good or bad?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Btw if i understand correctly Rihards Bukarts will spend one more year in MHL and only then he will move to NA.Cant tell if its a good or a bad move,well see.
It's all about maturity.....if he feels unready it's a good move. Going alone to foreign country - being all alone and if things get rough can break a young player. I think only a young player who is dead set on going should go........some minds develope maturity faster than others.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
It's all about maturity.....if he feels unready it's a good move. Going alone to foreign country - being all alone and if things get rough can break a young player. I think only a young player who is dead set on going should go........some minds develope maturity faster than others.
Funny that hes beeing compared to Yakupov as he has the same exact statistics as yakupov at the same league at the same age.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Justinov

Quote:
So what you think about this guy moving to allsevnskan ju18? could it be good or bad?
Well i can't really say anything negative about Sweden U18/U20. Look at the amount of Swedish players getting drafted these years...and the danish few among them. But offcourse some U-clubs are better than others.....Djurgården U18 is not what danish players choose (normally it's Malmø, Røgle, Leksand, Frølunda). It's just that Stockholm is not a dane-friendly as other places in Sweden

Old
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well i can't really say anything negative about Sweden U18/U20. Look at the amount of Swedish players getting drafted these years...and the danish few among them. But offcourse some U-clubs are better than others.....Djurgården U18 is not what danish players choose (normally it's Malmø, Røgle, Leksand, Frølunda). It's just that Stockholm is not a dane-friendly as other places in Sweden
Lets hope its Latvian-friendly

Old
06-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Funny that hes beeing compared to Yakupov as he has the same exact statistics as yakupov at the same league at the same age.
Can he continue, then you might have a superdraft! But he needs to prove himself in a well respected league before he will ever get drafted high. Though Spelling had insane good numbers in an adult league, since its Denmark it only counts as a fifth round pick.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Can he continue, then you might have a superdraft! But he needs to prove himself in a well respected league before he will ever get drafted high. Though Spelling had insane good numbers in an adult league, since its Denmark it only counts as a fifth round pick.
Well MHL is not a bad junior league,yeah but he needs to improve and latvia might just get superstar.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Lets hope its Latvian-friendly
Well among scandinavians Stockholm is regarded as Paris is in France
Capital of the morally superior political correct, you know
In Sweden you are classified whether you are 08 zip code (Stockholm) or not. Like I heard a french people introducing himself: "Im french, but not from Paris".....
"Im Swedish, but not 08" i have heard once as well.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
BalticWarrior

funny that 5 years ago i wouldnt have believed that Latvia can ever get first round draft pick let alone as high as girgensons and at 52nd blugers,the speed at which development is going is unbelievable.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Well MHL is not a bad junior league,yeah but he needs to improve and latvia might just get superstar.
Max one more year in MHL, but then he has to move to a showcase league! But it's not so much as 16-17 where he has to prove himself but as 17-18 when it's building up to draft!

Old
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Max one more year in MHL, but then he has to move to a showcase league! But it's not so much as 16-17 where he has to prove himself but as 17-18 when it's building up to draft!
I agree