HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread III - Laughton all the way to the bank

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2012, 02:17 AM
  #201
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Could you imagine?

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Briere-Read
Simmonds-Couturier-Wellwood
Rinaldo/Sestito-UFA C-Talbot

Coburn-Weber
Schenn-Timonen
Grossman-Lilja/Gustafsson/Bourdon

Obviously, if we're offer sheeting weber we wouldn't have the first likely needed to get ryan, but man... I can dream. We'd even STILL have enough space to maybe sign a guy like Semin.

Semin-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Briere-Schenn
Simmonds-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo/Sestito-Holmstrom-Talbot

Coburn-Weber
Schenn-Timonen
Grossmann-Gustafasson/Bourdon
Lilja
if we got weber for just a 1st, then signed parise o_0
(i dont want semin on our team)

tuckrr is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 02:31 AM
  #202
tryce91
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Could you imagine?

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Briere-Read
Simmonds-Couturier-Wellwood
Rinaldo/Sestito-UFA C-Talbot

Coburn-Weber
Schenn-Timonen
Grossman-Lilja/Gustafsson/Bourdon

Obviously, if we're offer sheeting weber we wouldn't have the first likely needed to get ryan, but man... I can dream. We'd even STILL have enough space to maybe sign a guy like Semin.

Semin-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Briere-Schenn
Simmonds-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo/Sestito-Holmstrom-Talbot

Coburn-Weber
Schenn-Timonen
Grossmann-Gustafasson/Bourdon
Lilja
You could write amazing fiction novels the way you fantasize...

but no seriously, I would love to see weber and ryan in orange & black as well.

tryce91 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
  #203
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Re-sign Carle and then win the Parise sweepstakes.

That ='s stanley cup.

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
  #204
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Re-sign Carle and then win the Parise sweepstakes.

That ='s stanley cup.
Hey remember how bad the defense was last year? Remember?

I'd rather try to win the suter sweepstakes, if we're going after a player who most likely won't sign here anyway.

orange is better is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
  #205
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Offseason Philosophy

Just wondered what direction people think the team should head in? Seems a lot of the trade talk/speculation is dependent on the way we see the team developing. The balance between developing the youngsters and getting in experience and proven players.

For example if we are happy to bring through the youngsters then I'm not sure there needs to be much done to the team, maybe pick up a UFA D (Wideman seems a better bet that Suter, Schultz might help, Carle back also for a couple of years) Let Voracek play top line wing and the rest pretty much solves itself. Maybe a Role player of 2 through UFA. I'm not sure the team would be cup worthy but it would still compete and the kids would grow.

However I also don't think the team would be that far away from being a top cup contender. If you were to get in a top line winger and top D, with still having Timonenn this year too it could be great. But it would mean trading pieces. Personally if you packaged the two Schenns I think you could really improve the team by bringing in either a top D (preferable I'd say) or a top winger (I'd probably take Nash over Ryan but either is fine). There are a ton of possibilities here though but basically I think if you trade some of the younger guys (would mean giving up players we like) we could get a couple for really elite guys that would set the team up to win right now.

I guess it's a question of philosophy? Thoughts?

JoeFlyer is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
  #206
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Don't ****ing touch this great young core...that's what they should stick to and that's what Homer is doing right now.

Homer chose the safe road by swapping JVR for Luke Schenn, no blockbuster multi-player trade, no huge overpayment.

Now he can wait and see if something unfolds, obviously they have put in an offer for Bobby Ryan, maybe Nash as well at some point but nothing lunatic here as well and we all know that their value is decreasing each day from now on. Get a superstar for cheap or watch another team selling the farm for a rental. It stays a win in any case.

Homer is watching this from a position of strength. Even if no further trade is happening, the Flyers are a top destination for all remaining UFA out there. Personally I like what I see/hear/read so far.

dats81 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  #207
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Interesting read over on Puck Daddy about the Leafs offering a one-year offer sheet to Corey Schneider. I think the Flyers should do the same to Weber. It would be risky for the Preds to match that offer, regardless of what it is because if you match an offer sheet, the player can't be traded for a year. Mashville would essentially have to choose between having Weber for one year and hoping they can sign him long-term but risk losing him for nothing, or taking the picks and walking away. I wouldn't be surprised if any team team used this tactic on Weber. Would piss a lot of people off, but damn it would be a good strategy to use. Either guarantee he's going to be a UFA next season (assuming he won't sign with Mashville) or get him on your team this season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
  #208
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,011
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Interesting read over on Puck Daddy about the Leafs offering a one-year offer sheet to Corey Schneider. I think the Flyers should do the same to Weber. It would be risky for the Preds to match that offer, regardless of what it is because if you match an offer sheet, the player can't be traded for a year. Mashville would essentially have to choose between having Weber for one year and hoping they can sign him long-term but risk losing him for nothing, or taking the picks and walking away. I wouldn't be surprised if any team team used this tactic on Weber. Would piss a lot of people off, but damn it would be a good strategy to use. Either guarantee he's going to be a UFA next season (assuming he won't sign with Mashville) or get him on your team this season.
Toronto won't offer sheet Schneider as Burke hates offer sheets..

With Weber it's a bit different.. I see a few teams sending him offer sheets.. But if it's not giving Nashville 4 1sts, I don't see them letting him walk.. But no one is going to risk 4 1st for 1 year of him

Krishna is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
  #209
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Toronto won't offer sheet Schneider as Burke hates offer sheets..
Yeah he wasn't saying that the Leafs were going to do that, just that it would really screw Vancouver if he did.

Quote:
With Weber it's a bit different.. I see a few teams sending him offer sheets.. But if it's not giving Nashville 4 1sts, I don't see them letting him walk.. But no one is going to risk 4 1st for 1 year of him
I think I would risk it. The Flyers are going to have an extra $6 million in cap space when Timonen comes off the books. I'd be happy to give every dime to Weber and let Gus play on the bottom pair at $900k or whatever he makes. I suppose the risk is that Weber doesn't like it Philly and decides not to stay regardless of the contract offer, but it could be a risk worth taking IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
  #210
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Don't ****ing touch this great young core...that's what they should stick to and that's what Homer is doing right now.

Homer chose the safe road by swapping JVR for Luke Schenn, no blockbuster multi-player trade, no huge overpayment.

Now he can wait and see if something unfolds, obviously they have put in an offer for Bobby Ryan, maybe Nash as well at some point but nothing lunatic here as well and we all know that their value is decreasing each day from now on. Get a superstar for cheap or watch another team selling the farm for a rental. It stays a win in any case.

Homer is watching this from a position of strength. Even if no further trade is happening, the Flyers are a top destination for all remaining UFA out there. Personally I like what I see/hear/read so far.
I agree but what I would say is that (hypothetically) A move for Nash, Ryan, etc isn't a rental If Weber holds out on RFA a move for him would be amazing and he's certainly not a rental... But unless you can pull off something amazing probably leave things as they are.

JoeFlyer is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:27 AM
  #211
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think I would risk it. The Flyers are going to have an extra $6 million in cap space when Timonen comes off the books. I'd be happy to give every dime to Weber and let Gus play on the bottom pair at $900k or whatever he makes. I suppose the risk is that Weber doesn't like it Philly and decides not to stay regardless of the contract offer, but it could be a risk worth taking IMO.
Flyers would never offer sheet Weber because of the good working relationship they have with Nashville. I'm sure if the Preds aren't able to sign Weber the Flyers will be at the top of the list for a trade.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  #212
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Flyers would never offer sheet Weber because of the good working relationship they have with Nashville. I'm sure if the Preds aren't able to sign Weber the Flyers will be at the top of the list for a trade.
Yeah I'm not expecting them to do it, just saying that I would. I think they offer sheet-ed Ryan Kesler a few years ago so they aren't opposed to going after these guys in general. I understand they don't want to burn bridges, but if I think this might be a bridge worth burning. if you ask me.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  #213
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I'm not expecting them to do it, just saying that I would. I think they offer sheet-ed Ryan Kesler a few years ago so they aren't opposed to going after these guys in general. I understand they don't want to burn bridges, but if I think this might be a bridge worth burning. if you ask me.
Might be burning a bridge, but I don't think Nashville ever sat down during trade talks and said, "Team X has the better offer, but lets take the deal from Philly since we are buds."

Ultimately, if this unlikely scenario played out, Nashville only has their own franchise to blame for not locking Weber up earlier. They let a poison pill offer sheet become a possibility.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
  #214
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Don't ****ing touch this great young core...that's what they should stick to and that's what Homer is doing right now.

Homer chose the safe road by swapping JVR for Luke Schenn, no blockbuster multi-player trade, no huge overpayment.

Now he can wait and see if something unfolds, obviously they have put in an offer for Bobby Ryan, maybe Nash as well at some point but nothing lunatic here as well and we all know that their value is decreasing each day from now on. Get a superstar for cheap or watch another team selling the farm for a rental. It stays a win in any case.

Homer is watching this from a position of strength. Even if no further trade is happening, the Flyers are a top destination for all remaining UFA out there. Personally I like what I see/hear/read so far.
Yeah, hopefully they stand pat and just resign Jagr.


If Voracek can finish with any consistency he becomes a 25-30 goal scorer with the opportunities that he gets. Maybe he just isn't a finisher but they should take a look at him on the top line.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  #215
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
I see injury machine Peter Mueller wasn't qualified. The first guy to miss half a season due to looking at something.

jd2210 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
  #216
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Yeah, hopefully they stand pat and just resign Jagr.


If Voracek can finish with any consistency he becomes a 25-30 goal scorer with the opportunities that he gets. Maybe he just isn't a finisher but they should take a look at him on the top line.
I think there's two options, 1 is just sit back and let the whole team develop and 2 is actually try and make moves (or UFA elite players). No in-betweens by trading a bit here or there. What's the deal with Weber by the way I thought there was some sort of rule about arbitration having already done it once?

JoeFlyer is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
  #217
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I see injury machine Peter Mueller wasn't qualified. The first guy to miss half a season due to looking at something.
I thought he had basically had one massively bad concussion that kept him out for the better part of two years, no?

I'm assuming that this is just a mechanism to get his cap hit lower. I was under the impression that Colorado wanted him back--so there might not be much to this.

On the other hand, if he comes cheap, he's not a bad option. High risk, to be sure, but if the kid is finally healthy, he still has incredible skill. His qualifying offer was like $2 million flat, no? I'd pretty easily offer him that on a one-year deal.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:58 PM
  #218
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne
 
phillyflyerfan1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancover Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
I'd love Peter Mueller on a one-year deal. Kid had serious concussion issues but that's what our organization is used to.

I think Mueller @ 1 year > Parenteau, Semin, etc. @ 3+ years. Just a little stop gap on a top-9 forward with upside. If he gets hurt just bury him on LTIR. We have enough forward depth that we could afford to take the risk, IMO.

---

Going back to Bobby Ryan, if we are willing to move Simmonds I could see something developing. Would hate to give up Simmonds but he likely has a lot of value to the Ducks as a multi-purpose winger with size, grit and great character.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  #219
4thline4life
The Mased God
 
4thline4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n philly
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I thought he had basically had one massively bad concussion that kept him out for the better part of two years, no?

I'm assuming that this is just a mechanism to get his cap hit lower. I was under the impression that Colorado wanted him back--so there might not be much to this.

On the other hand, if he comes cheap, he's not a bad option. High risk, to be sure, but if the kid is finally healthy, he still has incredible skill. His qualifying offer was like $2 million flat, no? I'd pretty easily offer him that on a one-year deal.
he got a concussion at the end of 09-10, then his first game back in 10-11 he suffered another causing him to lose that season, then looked into bright lights in the penalty box and caused his symptoms to come back and make him lose half of this last season. i would take a low risk 1 year deal with him. we have the depth where losing him wouldn't be an issue but he definitely has some skill.

4thline4life is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
  #220
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah he wasn't saying that the Leafs were going to do that, just that it would really screw Vancouver if he did.



I think I would risk it. The Flyers are going to have an extra $6 million in cap space when Timonen comes off the books. I'd be happy to give every dime to Weber and let Gus play on the bottom pair at $900k or whatever he makes. I suppose the risk is that Weber doesn't like it Philly and decides not to stay regardless of the contract offer, but it could be a risk worth taking IMO.
If weber (Theoretically) signs an offersheet from Philly, you can bank he would re-sign there (why else would he accept the OS in the 1st place?)


unless something went horribly wrong

tuckrr is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  #221
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Goal scoring guys that may come cheap for a shot at a cup:

Whitney - played with Lavy and looked like still had something in the tank last season.

Hudler - suprised DET isn't bringing him back with all the cap space they have.

Huselius - Ton of talent but injury prone or just not motivated to come back and play for CLB. Maybe a change of scenery and a shot at a cup motivates him.

Semin - Maybe he signs a 1 year deal to prove himself for a bigger contract and the Flyers benefit from it. He would snipin' like crazy on a line with Giroux.

3rd/4th line grinders:

Prust - PK, forechecks and tough as they come.

Moen - A little long in the tooth but still has cup experience and toughness.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
  #222
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
According to twitter, Doan will be hitting FA.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
  #223
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
According to twitter, Doan will be hitting FA.
Awesome. Seriously Homer, pick him up. DO IT!

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
  #224
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Awesome. Seriously Homer, pick him up. DO IT!
Probably signs with Winnipeg. Circle of life sorta thing.

I doubt he comes east after all of this time but he would look good on Briere's wing.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 07:04 PM
  #225
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
According to twitter, Doan will be hitting FA.

I think he's gonna listen to an offer or two, and then probably re-sign with PHX.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/SnS-Sig.gif

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.