HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
nvm.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Let just hope for decent assistants.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I would be incredibly surprised if the coaching search had anything to do with money. In fact, I find the idea ludicrous.

Is there any data available on coaching salaries? I'dbe shocked if the highest paid coach exceeds $3 million. And I'd imagine the lowest paid guys are around $500k. That spread isn't so much as a hill of beans in the annual operating budget of an NHL franchise.
the difference between a $500k coach and a $2.5m coach can be significant. in a related point, who do the caps have as assistant coaches? any long time veteran, known to be ace assistant coaches and/or former successful nhl head coaches here?

no...the difference in cost between ken stevens or craig ramsey and evason and jj is huge

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the difference between a $500k coach and a $2.5m coach can be significant. in a related point, who do the caps have as assistant coaches? any long time veteran, known to be ace assistant coaches and/or former successful nhl head coaches here?

no...the difference in cost between ken stevens or craig ramsey and evason and jj is huge
His point was that a $3M salary for a coach is inconsequential in the scheme of things when a team is paying players ~$65M already. When they were keeping the payroll as low as possible 10 years ago, sure, but there's really no chance it's a factor now.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I would be incredibly surprised if the coaching search had anything to do with money. In fact, I find the idea ludicrous.

Is there any data available on coaching salaries? I'dbe shocked if the highest paid coach exceeds $3 million. And I'd imagine the lowest paid guys are around $500k. That spread isn't so much as a hill of beans in the annual operating budget of an NHL franchise.
Completely agree with you...a team that pays to the Cap is afraid of spending a few hundred thousand extra on a coach? Laughable indeed.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Those holding the winning tickets - good call.

bigeasy, butters8814, foundhockey, jim7911, Kevin27NYI, Setting up the play

/probably all just voted heh

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Oates was my least favorite of the final three candidates, but we could have done a lot worse considering the field as a whole. McPhee had a fairly long and seemingly comprehensive process, so I'll put my trust in his results until we have evidence otherwise.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Completely agree with you...a team that pays to the Cap is afraid of spending a few hundred thousand extra on a coach? Laughable indeed.
Isn't Ted currently crying poor in an effort to get new billboards approved outside VZC? Maybe he's tired of spending top dollar with the cap and such rising. Don't know if I'd believe it, but crazier things have happened.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Isn't Ted currently crying poor in an effort to get new billboards approved outside VZC? Maybe he's tired of spending top dollar with the cap and such rising. Don't know if I'd believe it, but crazier things have happened.
He's probably still pissed over DC getting a cut of his ticket revenues back when Abe was mortgaging the franchise when he was getting money for Verizon Center.

Never forget hearing Ted tell a story about how Abe wanted $50 mil from DC and he was bound and determined to make the City pay SOMETHING. Leonsis and partners supposidely offered him the $50 mil themselves for the same deal, but Abe was determined to get DC to pay some $$. Horrible deal for the Caps.

Caps are doing their best to maximize revenues...can't blame em.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
His point was that a $3M salary for a coach is inconsequential in the scheme of things when a team is paying players ~$65M already. When they were keeping the payroll as low as possible 10 years ago, sure, but there's really no chance it's a factor now.
then explain why the caps head and assistant coaches are almost always on the tight budget end of the equation.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
then explain why the caps head and assistant coaches are almost always on the tight budget end of the equation.
The only relevant examples are Boudreau and Hunter. Do you know what Boudreau's salary was once he signed an extension in 2008?

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I'll respond to this point when you provide data.

For now, I'll just point to economics and say that when you run a business with a $70 million payroll a capital budget in the tens of millions, administrative salaries in the millions, and expenses in the tens of millions, a coach's salary is not a factor. Especially when they are drivers of success/failure where success=home playoff dates=extra revenue.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
When was the last time the Caps made an offseason assistant hire that wasn't clearly about the head coach? Woods was Bruce's guy. JJ was hired mid-season so availability comes into play there. When were Evason and Leach hired?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Um it's malarky?

Unless of course you know all their salaries compared to the rest of the league and you can share with us all....I'd love to hear it if so, otherwise it seems like speculation where I've seen little to no evidence of anything like the Caps are cheap on coaching salaries. McPhee is without a doubt a pain in the ass to negotiate with sure....