HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Complete: Ode to the 5'10 Center

Old
06-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I like the pick of Heard and Bourke.

Heard seems to project to be a good fit for a bottom 6 role. Given the fact he's 20 as well the Avs probably won't have to wait as long for the pick to pay its dividends.

Bourke seems like he could possible become a top 9 winger. It sounds like he'll take a longer time to develop due to his stature and the fact he seems to play on a very bad team. I can see him being a similar prospect to Olver, not in terms of style, but in terms of long term potential and development time.

The Smith pick is interesting to me. He has great stats for a 7th round pick, which leads me to believe there must be a rather large flaw in his game or character.

The rest of the picks I think are really long term hit-or-miss projects. I wouldn't be surprised if Bourke and Heard are the only one who make it to Lake Erie from this draft.
It's his size, he's tiny.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
It's his size, he's tiny.
His measurements vary depending on the source but he seems to be 5'10" and 165-170lbs. Hardly enough to hold him back to the 7th round.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
His measurements vary depending on the source but he seems to be 5'10" and 165-170lbs. Hardly enough to hold him back to the 7th round.
For some reason I tought he was smaller. The fact that he plays for a weak team probably scared some teams. He probably got a lot of ice time to pad his stats.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I like the pick of Heard and Bourke.

Heard seems to project to be a good fit for a bottom 6 role. Given the fact he's 20 as well the Avs probably won't have to wait as long for the pick to pay its dividends.

Bourke seems like he could possible become a top 9 winger. It sounds like he'll take a longer time to develop due to his stature and the fact he seems to play on a very bad team. I can see him being a similar prospect to Olver, not in terms of style, but in terms of long term potential and development time.

The Smith pick is interesting to me. He has great stats for a 7th round pick, which leads me to believe there must be a rather large flaw in his game or character.

The rest of the picks I think are really long term hit-or-miss projects. I wouldn't be surprised if Bourke and Heard are the only one who make it to Lake Erie from this draft.
don't count Blandisi out just yet. He is still only 17 so he is basically almost a full year behind most other draftees in development.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
So.... I saw this post of RS's in the Ebert thread from the prospect board. Thought it should be highlighted here, quite impressive man.

13 defenders taken, Murray and Reinhart top 4 picks... calling out Pouliot, Rielly and Dumba (top 8 picks). Nice job man.

All from 2010.
Thanks.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipShow View Post
Diehard Whalers and Avs fan here. I go to almost every Plymouth Whalers and I have consistently watched Mitchell Heard for the past few seasons with the Whalers. Here is my two cents on Heard:

Just to clarify Heard is 6'2" 190. He put on quite some size over the last few years and he has taken full advantage.

Heard is a solid skater with pretty good hands. He is an extremely competitive and plays big in big moments. He is a pretty fearless player and will get into the dirty areas to score. He is also pretty fearless when it comes to fighting, Heard fought some much bigger players and held is own every time. I wouldn't say he is a natural fighter but he throws a lot of punches and has won more fights then he lost. What I like about his fighting this year was the fact that he never used to fight. This year he wanted to get noticed and get drafted so he played tougher and did what took to get drafted.

Heard strengths: Heard is a very good at face offs he was voted as the Western Conference at best at face offs. Something that I haven't really seen talked about Heard is his shot. He has a very good wrist shot and he can bury the puck well. He played the point a lot on the power play this year because of it. One thing I like about Heard is that he does whatever the teams needs him for. I have watched Heard go from more of a finesse forward to an all around player that every team loves to have.

I would say that Heard could get a little better with his skating and he could get better at his board play down low. Heard also sometimes try to make the big play and coughs up the puck but all of this can easily be refined.

I would say Heard projects as our 3rd line center or 4th line Center. He has a very good chance to be in the NHL in a year or two. I don't know what they plan on doing with Heard but he could use his overage year in Plymouth and a year in the AHL IMO.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like he could be the Avs 3rd line center in a year or two when/if Stastny is let go. What would you say is stronger, his offensive game, or defensive game?

Also, I'm assuming not since he was such a good faceoff man, but did Heard play any shifts or games at wing, and if so how did he look?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like he could be the Avs 3rd line center in a year or two when/if Stastny is let go. What would you say is stronger, his offensive game, or defensive game?

Also, I'm assuming not since he was such a good faceoff man, but did Heard play any shifts or games at wing, and if so how did he look?
Big Plymouth fan myself. Reason being the fact that Heard lives across the street from me (In Bowmanville, not Plymouth), and is a close friend of mine.

He's played a little on the wing, and played fine. However, he's a natural center, and consistently would likely player better if he stayed there. Not to mention his FO ability.

Here's the thing with Mitch. He used to be a forward all about offense. He was counted on to provide top line offense all throughout minor hockey, and in Jr. A. (As a 17 year old he was sent back to Jr. A, about Novemberish).

The last two years he's changed his game to suit his team's needs. He's become a two way forward, who plays the game well defensively. He still has offensive instincts though, and was a regular on the first PP unit for Plymouth this year. To go along with all that, he's become an in-your-face forward. He chirps, fights, agitates, and more. I'd say he translates to the NHL as a third line C, defensively aware, but he's still got some offensive jump in his game. (I like the Stoll comparison to be honest).

* Also, I can confirm the other Plymouth fan's report that Mitch is now 6'2, and not 6'0. He's about 190 as well. Likely to bulk up even more in the summer.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Big Plymouth fan myself. Reason being the fact that Heard lives across the street from me (In Bowmanville, not Plymouth), and is a close friend of mine.

He's played a little on the wing, and played fine. However, he's a natural center, and consistently would likely player better if he stayed there. Not to mention his FO ability.

Here's the thing with Mitch. He used to be a forward all about offense. He was counted on to provide top line offense all throughout minor hockey, and in Jr. A. (As a 17 year old he was sent back to Jr. A, about Novemberish).

The last two years he's changed his game to suit his team's needs. He's become a two way forward, who plays the game well defensively. He still has offensive instincts though, and was a regular on the first PP unit for Plymouth this year. To go along with all that, he's become an in-your-face forward. He chirps, fights, agitates, and more. I'd say he translates to the NHL as a third line C, defensively aware, but he's still got some offensive jump in his game. (I like the Stoll comparison to be honest).

* Also, I can confirm the other Plymouth fan's report that Mitch is now 6'2, and not 6'0. He's about 190 as well. Likely to bulk up even more in the summer.
Thanks for the info. This article has him saying he protects the front of the net first, and then worries about offense. He also told Dater that Mike Richards is who he molds his game after. I'd say he probably is the most likely to stay at center of all the centers in the Avs pipeline.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/09...ds-to-be-heard

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
The more I read, the more I'm happy with the Avs draft.

I like the Heard pick, and I think he projects to be in the Avs lineup within the next season or two. I really hope that he and Malone build chemistry together in the AHL as I have a feeling that they'll be linemates together for the Avs down the road.

The Bourke and Smith picks I like, sounds like they took a bit of a gamble on two kids that could turn into good offensive contributors. The rest of the picks are your typical Avs picks, competitive guys that work hard, I like this teams current philosophy.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote