HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part X: Lead up to FA day

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If that happens I'm gonna lose it.

That is a TON of cash for a one dimensional player. He's gonna quickly become the whipping boy here.

I'd rather bring in Gragnani who will cost MUCH MUCH less and help our power play.

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz
Gragnani-Sutton
I don't see how a d-man with 7 PP points helps us. Might as well keep Potter for that. It's not like our PP needs help anyway.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
One thing we have to do is to start thinking of goaltending for the year after this one right now.

Dubnyk is still a question mark. Has looked very good and like a true starter for periods of time and not so much at other times. Khabibulin will most likely be gone after this year.

Bunz, Roy and the Finns might pan out to one good tender between all of them.

We (and when I say we I mean the front office) needs to be thinking seriously about this issue right now before we are up against a wall.
What do they do with Khabby this season then? I would love to see him in the minors, but does Katz really want to spend millions on sending him to the minors? I doubt it. His trade value is negative at this point in time I would think.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't see how a d-man with 7 PP points helps us. Might as well keep Potter for that. It's not like our PP needs help anyway.
While I agree that Gragnani likely isn't our best option, I firmly disagree with your thought on the PP. Imo, if the PP is less than 100%, it can improve. Just because we were near tops in the league last year doesn't mean we can't do better. If we can get our PP to 25% or higher, maybe teams will start being more wary of running our kids.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Baggers

Quote:
If that happens I'm gonna lose it.

That is a TON of cash for a one dimensional player. He's gonna quickly become the whipping boy here.

I'd rather bring in Gragnani who will cost MUCH MUCH less and help our power play.

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz
Gragnani-Sutton
I agree with this. Posters here that haven't watched the Caps play don't realize how bad Wideman is in his own zone.

If the Oilers sign Wideman, it will be like deja vu watching how Oilers fans treat Wideman the same way they treated Tom Poti.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I agree with this. Posters here that haven't watched the Caps play don't realize how bad Wideman is in his own zone.

If the Oilers sign Wideman, it will be like deja vu watching how Oilers fans treat Wideman the same way they treated Tom Poti.
This is pretty much what I keep hearing from people that have watched him play quite a bit.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Jordin Tootoo.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
OilerFan4Life

I watched every Capitals playoff game. Wideman was HORRENDOUS.

Youngsters like Carlson and Alzner made him look like Cam Barker.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
What do they do with Khabby this season then? I would love to see him in the minors, but does Katz really want to spend millions on sending him to the minors? I doubt it. His trade value is negative at this point in time I would think.
Well I think we have to keep him this year. We don't have a viable 2nd NHL goalie other than him at this point in time.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Well I think we have to keep him this year. We don't have a viable 2nd NHL goalie other than him at this point in time.
Agreed. Our goalie tandem is set this year, for better or for worse. We will have at least one new goalie next offseason, but who that will be depends on how well Dubnyk plays.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
One thing we have to do is to start thinking of goaltending for the year after this one right now.

Dubnyk is still a question mark. Has looked very good and like a true starter for periods of time and not so much at other times. Khabibulin will most likely be gone after this year.

Bunz, Roy and the Finns might pan out to one good tender between all of them.

We (and when I say we I mean the front office) needs to be thinking seriously about this issue right now before we are up against a wall.
are you proposing a Omark for rights to Thomas deal??

Old
06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
are you proposing a Omark for rights to Thomas deal??
He won't have to worry about a visit to the Whitehouse in 2014 when we win the cup!

Old
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
One thing, with the defensemen the Oilers are targeting, that they should look for is good puck moving.

Look at what the Oilers have upfront, guys that excel at puck moving will allow this team to have a quick transition game which might make up for some defensive lapses

Old
06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'd be fine with the Oilers offering Wideman 5-5.5 million for 5-6 years. He hits, blocks shots, and has a great break out pass, and plays 24 min a game

Wideman-Smid would compliment each other well
Schultz-Petry would put less pressure on Petry as he isnt ready for top pairing minutes.
Whitney-Sutton Potter can fill in for Whitney when he gets hurt again
There is no way I would sign Wideman for 5-6 yrs you crazy. Three yrs max. the guy is terrible in his own zone and is a give away machine.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
rockinghockey

I can see Methot from CBJ, they have extra dmen and I would take him here for the bottom pairing, he has 3 yrs left on his contract and is a big shut down dman.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
rockinghockey

When I was listening to 1260 they were saying that Sutter does not see himself as a 3rd centreman, wants to be a 2nd line centreman.

I think he would be perfect behind RNH, is a RH shot and has some size to him. He plays the game hard also and has some skill.
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Hemsky; Sutter; Yak
Lander and 2nd round pick, would that do it.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
There is no way I would sign Wideman for 5-6 yrs you crazy. Three yrs max. the guy is terrible in his own zone and is a give away machine.
He's not that bad in his own zone and most 40+ point defenseman have the similar amount of give aways. He was rumoured to be hurt in the playoffs and it showed

Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Paralyzer008

Well Stauffer said Suter is a longshot but Edmonton will still likely give him a big offer.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
When I was listening to 1260 they were saying that Sutter does not see himself as a 3rd centreman, wants to be a 2nd line centreman.

I think he would be perfect behind RNH, is a RH shot and has some size to him. He plays the game hard also and has some skill.
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Hemsky; Sutter; Yak
Lander and 2nd round pick, would that do it.
Not a chance in hell.

Did you see Ray Shero's quote? He was raving about Sutter and his defensive ability. Fact is he's gonna be one of the best 3rd line Cs in the league for the next 10 years.

Lander and a 2nd is also laughable.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
OilerFan4Life

Stauffer saying if Rangers sign Schultz, it would be Anisimov and Dubinsky ++ going for Nash. Otherwise Stepan will be in the package going back.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Not a chance in hell.

Did you see Ray Shero's quote? He was raving about Sutter and his defensive ability. Fact is he's gonna be one of the best 3rd line Cs in the league for the next 10 years.

Lander and a 2nd is also laughable.
I can't see them trading away their shiny new toy either, especially for that low ball offer. It would take Gagner +.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
OilCity99

Why arent we persuing Luongo?

I have heard mention of numerous teams that are actively persuing a trade for Luongo, yet not any mention of the Oilers. Why are we not attempting to get him? He would answer the goaltending issue for us. An elite goalie is not on the trade table everyday.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:28 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

No way would Vancouver trade him within their division and no way would the Oilers look to give their assets to Van.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
OilerFan4Life

Stauffer AGAIN implying the Prime Minister.

Said they can get a 5 million d-man on a bad contract who is a good d-man but not putting up the numbers he was expected too.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Paralyzer008

Stauffer said that if EDM adds Schultz, don't be surprised if we trade for a 5M+ D that hasn't produced up to expectations.

So.......Mike Green? Paul Martin isn't really expected to put up big points so I don't think that's who he is alluding to.

Also said that if NYR gets Schultz, maybe Michael Del Zotto is of interest to Edmonton.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
#ualberta

He has a ntc and wouldn't come here likely

Closed Thread