HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[COL] Shane O'Brien (3 Years, $6 Million - AAV of $2 Million)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
  #26
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
He's never going to be very good. A bottom pairing guy has to be steady and reliable or perhaps a PP type specialist who can play sheltered minutes. SOB tries to be Paul Coffey and ends up costing the team goals. The Anaheim game was particularly atrocious. Last man back and tried to dangle the puck past Bobby Ryan. A guy in your bottom pairing can't be costing you goals each game.

All signs point to the Avs being worse next year...

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
  #27
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500


FOR THREE ****ING YEARS?

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  #28
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Can't say I'm too thrilled about this. Wilson for 3 years is fine, but O'Brien for 3 and Hunwick for 2? That I don't understand. It shows that mgmt was happy with their D core and they shouldn't be. Unless a trade happens, I will remain skeptical.

This does not completely rule out the chance to go and get someone like Suter or Carle, but it makes it a less likely reality. Gaunce is ready to see some NHL time now and where will there be room for some of our young guys to make the jump with such a log jam? Don't sign Mueller, but sign O'Brien and Hunwick? Huge gap in skill there.

Hejda - Johnson
Wilson - O'Byrne
Hunwick - O'Brien

is our current D core, with Elliott, Barrie and Gaunce all probably getting some time at some point. If we add another D of Suter/Carle, then Hunwick or O'B will likely be in the press box but there is no way both of them will be.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:25 PM
  #29
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post


FOR THREE ****ING YEARS?

he better not get top line minutes, and somebody better tell him never to dangle again. I hope Quinn shapes him up.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
  #30
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,799
vCash: 500
SOB is terrible. Glad the Canucks will be facing him six times next season.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
  #31
Goulet17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
I thought he played very well for Colorado for most of the last season. It isn't a bad signing if he is not asked to do too much.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
  #32
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Maybe the Oilers can now tip the Avs season series in their favour!

(it's been 3-3 over the past 4 years)

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
  #33
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I thought he played very well for Colorado for most of the last season. It isn't a bad signing if he is not asked to do too much.
I don't recall anyone telling him to try to be Bobby Orr, but he does it anyways

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  #34
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Country: United States
Posts: 2,349
vCash: 500
Some of my fellow Colorado fans need to take a few deep breaths and find their zen.

It's 2 million dollars on Shane O'Brien. Calm down. What other d-man out there is available for 2 million? And is he so much better than SOB that it'd be worth pulling a well-liked lockerroom guy and replacing him? Plus, look on the bright side, the value of a given salary decreases as the cap goes up. In 3 years, 2 million will be enforcer/13th forward money.

That's what a lot of people don't get-- this isn't 2006. Salaries have gone up. This is a fine deal for SOB. As was Wilson's deal, as was Hunwick's. Any Avs fan griping about the state of the team needs a reality check. Would any Calgary or Columbus or Islanders fans like to weigh in on this? I think those fans would know a little more about management inflicted suffering than us.

Glad to have Shane back.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  #35
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 40,765
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
SOB is terrible. Glad the Canucks will be facing him six times next season.
As a bottom pairing guy he's fine. He's grown up a lot since his Canucks days.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  #36
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Can't say I'm too thrilled about this. Wilson for 3 years is fine, but O'Brien for 3 and Hunwick for 2? That I don't understand. It shows that mgmt was happy with their D core and they shouldn't be. Unless a trade happens, I will remain skeptical.

This does not completely rule out the chance to go and get someone like Suter or Carle, but it makes it a less likely reality. Gaunce is ready to see some NHL time now and where will there be room for some of our young guys to make the jump with such a log jam? Don't sign Mueller, but sign O'Brien and Hunwick? Huge gap in skill there.

Hejda - Johnson
Wilson - O'Byrne
Hunwick - O'Brien

is our current D core, with Elliott, Barrie and Gaunce all probably getting some time at some point. If we add another D of Suter/Carle, then Hunwick or O'B will likely be in the press box but there is no way both of them will be.
The chances of signing Suter just went from 0.1% to 0.09%. Hardly a change...

They now have Hejda, O Brien, Wilson, Hunwick locked up for multiple years. Assuming they still believe EJ will be a franchise defender (dumb of them but likely), then O Byrne is on his way out. And likely Barrie and Gaunce as well.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  #37
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 500
shame the caps dont have another of those sweet 1sts.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  #38
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Great bottom pairing guy. Adds toughness and leadership and is a locker room fav.

Avs just need a top guy to play with EJ and their D core will look quite solid. However if they go Into next season as is, it will be a rather weak core. Need some puck moving ability in the top 6.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
  #39
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,720
vCash: 500
Yikes, too long, too much.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
  #40
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
shame the caps dont have another of those sweet 1sts.
Don't worry they still have their own.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
  #41
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,418
vCash: 500
I'd much rather have given Ryan O'Byrne a 3-year extension... ugh.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:48 PM
  #42
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line
 
Homegrown Kings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PNW
Country: United States
Posts: 2,433
vCash: 500
Great thread, some quality reactions.

Surprised he got that term and salary, but it's not an outrageous amount. A bottom pairing D who brings toughness and 20 points, decent signing. He's not the best at defense but he seems like a solid enough 6/7 guy.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
  #43
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
I have no idea what my beloved Avs do any longer. We went from spending like the Yankees to spending like the Royals. It's insane that the Avs have to spend to get to the floor. For years this was a model organization. Apparently they don't know you have to spend money to make money. Fire Sherman. And please spend some money on free agents and make some trades to get some players. Being the youngest and cheapest isn't working. Also we need to get better in the draft. Landy is great and ROR and Duchene were good, but to many misses. Even if he didn't get hurt Joey Hishon was a reach!

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
  #44
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,128
vCash: 500
Don't like the length, but again just a depth defensemen so not a huge deal.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  #45
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
I have no idea what my beloved Avs do any longer. We went from spending like the Yankees to spending like the Royals. It's insane that the Avs have to spend to get to the floor. For years this was a model organization. Apparently they don't know you have to spend money to make money. Fire Sherman. And please spend some money on free agents and make some trades to get some players. Being the youngest and cheapest isn't working. Also we need to get better in the draft. Landy is great and ROR and Duchene were good, but to many misses. Even if he didn't get hurt Joey Hishon was a reach!
Lol what? Is not even July 1st yet. The Avs have always drafted well and have almost unarguably the top 5 defense prospect depth. Their forward prospects are weak because the majority of them are in the NHL already.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  #46
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,763
vCash: 500
Its not really that bad deal at all. O'Brien will be nothing more then a solid bottom pairing defense man that will give a team that physical edge and leadership. The price of defenseman is going up every year. The hysteria in this thread is hilarious.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  #47
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Treefingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 500
Seems like too long of a deal for someone of O'Brien's (lack of) quality. The dude was an absolute goof on the Canucks, but I'm sure he must have improved somewhat to be offered a deal like this. Right?

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
  #48
BrickAHL
WOATalanche
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 500
The money isn't what I'm pissed about, what I'm pissed about is that SOB will take a roster spot for the next 3 years.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
  #49
The Instigator
Registered User
 
The Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 500
I like this, guy is a beauty.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
  #50
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Its not really that bad deal at all. O'Brien will be nothing more then a solid bottom pairing defense man that will give a team that physical edge and leadership. The price of defenseman is going up every year. The hysteria in this thread is hilarious.
Is not about the money, is about S ****ing OB taking up a roster spot from prospects with WAY higher potential than him, Elliot, Barrie and Gaunce.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.