HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
  #726
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Subban would cost a good amount.

Would love him here, though.

I'm thinking they'd want at least Stepan back.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
  #727
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Lets just trade everyone for some money and a pack of cigarettes and call it a day.

mahonistan* is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
  #728
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Bern, let me put this in a way you might understand and finally stop talking about Tanner freakin Pearson:

If the Rangers liked him more than Miller, who was picked 15th, they would have picked him at 28 this year.

We do not need Pearson. Miller+ 1st will be terrible asset management. He went 30 in a weak draft. Nothing to write home about.

It's always someone with you. First it was Taylor Hall, now it's Tanner Pearson, over and over again. When will the madness end?
Quote:
If the Rangers liked him more than Miller, who was picked 15th, they would have picked him at 28 this year.
This is NOT accurate and thus NOT a fair question. Miller has nothing to do with the discussion except as to that was the first indication of overpayment a Kings fan suggested. It is NOT a matter of liking more than or less than as to the drafting side of it. They had someone better at 28, which I am happy to see, and further happy to see they again went with a TOP skater.

Quote:
We do not need Pearson. Miller+ 1st will be terrible asset management. He went 30 in a weak draft. Nothing to write home about.
This IS a fair question. FINALLY. thank you.
I disagree. We don't know for sure, but Pearson has a track record as a sniper who can score. He doesn't have, apparently, other intangibles that top picks had. But that does not make him useless.

Since we are desperate for scoring, it behooves us to consider every REASONABLE option. Pearson is older relative to his class (or something like that) so he might be more honed and faster to get to the NHL. Since there is a decent chance, no guarantee, yes, but a decent chance in light of this he can be here so soon, he could be a REASONABLE option IF cost of acquiring him, on balance is reasonable.

Let's put it this way. Depending upon the +,
Christian Thomas + is not enough
JT Miller + is too much

There may be something in between.
Now, if you can open your mind to that real and indisputable logic and stop with the anger for my bringing up a valid question, I'd welcome any constructive opinion you wish to offer.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
  #729
Neknim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Since we are desperate for scoring, it behooves us to consider every REASONABLE option. Pearson is older relative to his class (or something like that) so he might be more honed and faster to get to the NHL. Since there is a decent chance, no guarantee, yes, but a decent chance in light of this he can be here so soon, he could be a REASONABLE option IF cost of acquiring him, on balance is reasonable.

Let's put it this way. Depending upon the +,
Christian Thomas + is not enough
JT Miller + is too much

There may be something in between.
Now, if you can open your mind to that real and indisputable logic and stop with the anger for my bringing up a valid question, I'd welcome any constructive opinion you wish to offer.
Hank for Pearson and lets call it a day

Neknim is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
  #730
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
4 new pages and no news. Just talking about dealing for prospects that were just drafted? Cmon.
I was thinking the same thing, almost smarter to not even bother looking and check near July 1st...........ahhh who am I kidding I know I wont do that

Vitto79 is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
  #731
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11,342
vCash: 500
why on earth are we obsessed with acquiring pearson?!?!

ecemleafs is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:34 PM
  #732
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sometimes it's right in front of you.

If Clark picked Skeij over Pearson, does that not make it evident that we do not want Pearson? I guess that's why some folks think this discussion is a waste of time and a bit frustrating.
No, that is not an evident clear cut conclusion.
Clark had a better diamond in the rough with Skeij over Pearson.
That does not mean that one emerald, one ruby, and a smaller diamond later, we wouldn't want/couldn't use/shouldn't consider Pearson if the price was right.

Those folks are within the right as to their preferences, but we should be open minded before discussing the thought out of hand.

If Kings want too much, then that would signal he is more valuable to them and they wish to keep him. But at this juncture, everything is about can we agree on terms.

Thank you for the constructive comments.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
  #733
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
OK, to answer your question.

The MOST I would be willing to offer for a guy that we PASSED on (regardless of reason) that was drafted as an overager (19 now, going to be 20 in October) is a 2nd round pick in 2013

Not willing to accept that? That's cool. We keep our 2nd rounder in 2013 and draft someone better.

Next?
Fair enough, thank you for direct answer to direct question.
Don't think such low balling will get job done and Pearson is worth more, but I acknowledge your vote.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
  #734
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,487
vCash: 500
Bern, have you seen Pearson play?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  #735
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
why on earth are we obsessed with acquiring pearson?!?!
No one is obsessed with acquiring him.

It has not been ascertained if he is a worthy target, and what would it cost?
I am seeking open opinions on what it would take, and assuming the Kings agree to that price, was it worth paying.

Some are apparently intent on stifling that discussion, rather than offer a serious answer, assuming the Kings consider Pearson an investment, and there is a number at which they would part with him that we can accept.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:50 PM
  #736
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Fair enough, thank you for direct answer to direct question.
Don't think such low balling will get job done and Pearson is worth more, but I acknowledge your vote.
Pearson is an overaged kid that in a weak draft was selected 30th overall by a team that has no immediate need for a forward.

He's worth a 2nd round pick in a deep draft. nothing more.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
  #737
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Subban would cost a good amount.

Would love him here, though.

I'm thinking they'd want at least Stepan back.
That's interesting.
Subban for Stepan.

Does that require x and y as a package or are you thinking 1 for 1?

Also, IF Coyotes were serious about moving Randle, Stepan would likely be the core payment there?

Do we prefer Subban to Randle?

Or is there other compensation we can offer that we like which allows for both opportunities?

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  #738
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Aaron Asham is an UFA....


When was the last time one player has played for all of the 5 teams in one division? He played for Islanders Penguins Devils Flyers and maybe....

He would be cheaper than Prust although older and declining a little....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
  #739
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
No, that is not an evident clear cut conclusion.
Clark had a better diamond in the rough with Skeij over Pearson.
That does not mean that one emerald, one ruby, and a smaller diamond later, we wouldn't want/couldn't use/shouldn't consider Pearson if the price was right.

Those folks are within the right as to their preferences, but we should be open minded before discussing the thought out of hand.

If Kings want too much, then that would signal he is more valuable to them and they wish to keep him. But at this juncture, everything is about can we agree on terms.

Thank you for the constructive comments.
....and I'll say it once more with feeling: OY VEY!!


Oh, and your welcome.

Pizza is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
  #740
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
New RFA Compensation For This Summer

Did anyone else see this? Could have a big impact this offseason:

$1,110,249 or below No Compensation

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 3rd round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 2nd round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 1st round pick, 3rd

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

That is so much more reasonable than giving up 5 first round picks (which was absolutely ridiculous!) We could see A LOT more offer sheets this year; I would def do one for Evander Kane, in a second!

...AND we also MUST MUST MUST lock up McD next year before anyone can offer him a sheet; he's the type of player you lock up for the next DECADE and you just know there will be a lonnnnnnggggggg line of teams ready to do anything to get him...
Good job, McSauer, and yes on the bold.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
  #741
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This is NOT accurate and thus NOT a fair question. Miller has nothing to do with the discussion except as to that was the first indication of overpayment a Kings fan suggested. It is NOT a matter of liking more than or less than as to the drafting side of it. They had someone better at 28, which I am happy to see, and further happy to see they again went with a TOP skater.



This IS a fair question. FINALLY. thank you.
I disagree. We don't know for sure, but Pearson has a track record as a sniper who can score. He doesn't have, apparently, other intangibles that top picks had. But that does not make him useless.

Since we are desperate for scoring, it behooves us to consider every REASONABLE option. Pearson is older relative to his class (or something like that) so he might be more honed and faster to get to the NHL. Since there is a decent chance, no guarantee, yes, but a decent chance in light of this he can be here so soon, he could be a REASONABLE option IF cost of acquiring him, on balance is reasonable.

Let's put it this way. Depending upon the +,
Christian Thomas + is not enough
JT Miller + is too much

There may be something in between.
Now, if you can open your mind to that real and indisputable logic and stop with the anger for my bringing up a valid question, I'd welcome any constructive opinion you wish to offer.
Here's some real and indisputable logic: teams don't trade prospects weeks after they were drafted. What sort of message does that send their scouts?

There's no chance Pearson will be traded any time soon to any one.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  #742
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Here's some real and indisputable logic
Why would we want to bother with that? Pesky logic.

Pizza is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  #743
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,213
vCash: 500
I've just been skimming through this thread for a while because nothing useful has been posted, but are we REALLY discussing Stepan for Subban?


BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
  #744
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Here's some real and indisputable logic: teams don't trade prospects weeks after they were drafted. What sort of message does that send their scouts?

There's no chance Pearson will be traded any time soon to any one.
Besides the whole scouts aspect, it's selling low. Draft picks are worth more than just-drafted players.

Greg02 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:13 PM
  #745
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I've just been skimming through this thread for a while because nothing useful has been posted, but are we REALLY discussing Stepan for Subban?

Call me crazy, but straight up I'd do it.

This coming from a vocal Subban hater.

Subban is exactly what our d-corps need. With some tough love and couching from Torts, he would be an absolute beast. Top-5 defenseman good IMO.

If anything it would be great to see Montreal burn to the ground when our top-pairing is McD-Subban.

All a pointless discussion though, no chance he's available.

NY Lito is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
  #746
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Call me crazy, but straight up I'd do it.

This coming from a vocal Subban hater.

Subban is exactly what our d-corps need. With some tough love and couching from Torts, he would be an absolute beast. Top-5 defenseman good IMO.
Don't see it. McDonagh is better, IMO.

He's good, VERY good, but if you trade Stepan for him we have awful center depth. Nobody really wins that trade, as good as both players are and can be.

Plus, it's a case where the teams won't do a straight up trade because each player has more value to the team then they would in a trade. Subban is great but we're not dealing out of our thin forward depth.

It's stupid even thinking about it.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
  #747
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
That's interesting.
Subban for Stepan.

Does that require x and y as a package or are you thinking 1 for 1?

Also, IF Coyotes were serious about moving Randle, Stepan would likely be the core payment there?

Do we prefer Subban to Randle?

Or is there other compensation we can offer that we like which allows for both opportunities?
I think at one point YANDLE was in play...

Randle works at the auto body shop a couple of miles down the road...

NikC is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
  #748
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Don't see it. McDonagh is better, IMO.

He's good, VERY good, but if you trade Stepan for him we have awful center depth. Nobody really wins that trade, as good as both players are and can be.

Plus, it's a case where the teams won't do a straight up trade because each player has more value to the team then they would in a trade. Subban is great but we're not dealing out of our thin forward depth.

It's stupid even thinking about it.
Agreed.

I just think this team minus a Stepan and plus a Subban is better than the other way around.

Gaborik scored 40 goals with Vinny as a center; he doesn't need Richards, meaning Richie can play on another line. Center depth would still be weak though, but I'm sure we wouldn't be as worse off as it would seem.

NY Lito is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
  #749
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Call me crazy, but straight up I'd do it.

This coming from a vocal Subban hater.

Subban is exactly what our d-corps need. With some tough love and couching from Torts, he would be an absolute beast. Top-5 defenseman good IMO.

If anything it would be great to see Montreal burn to the ground when our top-pairing is McD-Subban.

All a pointless discussion though, no chance he's available.
I actually think he'd already be top 5... probably would slot in right in front of DZ

Greg02 is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
  #750
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I've just been skimming through this thread for a while because nothing useful has been posted, but are we REALLY discussing Stepan for Subban?

Looking at this thread gave me an idea. Lets go back and redo the Rick Middleton deal. I want Stan Jonathan instead.

Pizza is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.