HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II

Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II

Date: July 7, 2012
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: PPV

Main Card:
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs Chael Sonnen
Light Heavyweight bout: Forrest Griffin vs Tito Ortiz
Middleweight bout: Cung Le vs Patrick C˘tÚ
Welterweight bout: Dong Hyun Kim vs Demian Maia
Featherweight bout: Chad Mendes vs Cody McKenzie
Bantamweight bout: Ivan Menjivar vs Mike Easton

Preliminary Card on FX:
Lightweight bout: Gleison Tibau vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs FabrÝcio Cam§es
Middleweight bout: Constantinos Philippou vs Riki Fukuda
Lightweight bout: John Alessio vs Shane Roller

Preliminary Card on Facebook:
Lightweight bout: Rafaello Oliveira vs Yoislandy Izquierdo

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by End of Line: 07-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Free Beer
Not For Everyone

I can't wait for this card. The last two were kinda ****** imo.

Free Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
m9

All the injuries and card changes have really put a beating on this card, but I'm still looking forward to it. Prelims should be great.

For the main card, lots of close fights although I don't know how exciting the fights will actually be.

As for the main event.. I just re-watched Silva/Sonnen and Silva just looked so, so out of it. He looked like a completely different fighter. He was getting tagged standing up, he slipped a couple times, and he was absolutely useless from the ground until the fifth round.

I just can't possibly imagine that happening again. Silva just looked so, so off that I have to think he will show his true colors here and finish things off in brutal fashion. Either that, or he'll make him suffer and carry on the beating for a little longer.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
All the injuries and card changes have really put a beating on this card, but I'm still looking forward to it. Prelims should be great.

For the main card, lots of close fights although I don't know how exciting the fights will actually be.

As for the main event.. I just re-watched Silva/Sonnen and Silva just looked so, so out of it. He looked like a completely different fighter. He was getting tagged standing up, he slipped a couple times, and he was absolutely useless from the ground until the fifth round.

I just can't possibly imagine that happening again. Silva just looked so, so off that I have to think he will show his true colors here and finish things off in brutal fashion. Either that, or he'll make him suffer and carry on the beating for a little longer.
Youre dreaming.

Silva's reign is finally over.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Sonnen had his chance with everything going in his favor, he's going to take a beating this time. Too tough to get knocked out early so it'll be prolonged.

He looked extremely unimpressive against Bisping, not to mention he didn't look like he had the strength he had in the first Silva fight.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Sonnen had his chance with everything going in his favor, he's going to take a beating this time. Too tough to get knocked out early so it'll be prolonged.

He looked extremely unimpressive against Bisping, not to mention he didn't look like he had the strength he had in the first Silva fight.
Bisping has much stronger wrestling and much better take down defense than Silva. You guys are fooling yourselves. Silva gets taken down fairly easily by top notch wrestlers. Nate, Hendo, Lutter, and Sonnen all took him down relatively easily and were able to keep him down for prolonged periods of time.

And this fight is going to be no different. In fact, Sonnen will be even more motivated this time because he let the title slip away last time when he had it in the bag. He wont make that mistake again. Unless he gets caught coming in, it will be Silva taking the prolonged beating, not Sonnen.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
This is going to be really bad for Sonnen. I almost feel bad for him.

Silva takes this one easily.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bisping has much stronger wrestling and much better take down defense than Silva. You guys are fooling yourselves. Silva gets taken down fairly easily by top notch wrestlers. Nate, Hendo, Lutter, and Sonnen all took him down relatively easily and were able to keep him down for prolonged periods of time.

And this fight is going to be no different. In fact, Sonnen will be even more motivated this time because he let the title slip away last time when he had it in the bag. He wont make that mistake again. Unless he gets caught coming in, it will be Silva taking the prolonged beating, not Sonnen.
And Silva finished every single one of them, including Chael. The facts are that Chael always makes that mistake against guys with a good bottom game and they always choke him out. Nothing in his history shows that he's capable of, or wants to adjust in order to defend against being choked. But that being said, I think Silva will do a much better job of avoiding takedowns and landing with strikes.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Great card. I predict Sonnen's toast without his juice. Not to mention Silva should be more motivated than ever.

Is Mendes - McKenzie not a serious mismatch?

Jasper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Free Beer
Not For Everyone

Anderson Silva goes Off On Sonnen | Says He Will Break The Face And Knockout The Teeth Of The Criminal | UFC NEWS | MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

Quote:
What I do inside the Octagon is going to change the image of the sport. I am going to make sure his legs are broke and arms are broke he will not be able to walk out by himself. I know he is listening; no more **** talking, it is on now...this time he is going to have to visit a plastic surgeon after the fight.
Silva seems pretty riled up. Hopefully all this results in an all out war, but I have a feeling Ando makes short work of Chael this time round.

Free Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:35 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The thing is, Chael is going to be putting the pressure on Silva the whole time. He's not going to let him figure him out like all of his opponents. Sonnen did his job and pissed Silva off, he's not looking to win a fight he just wants to hurt him. Fighting out of aggression like that more often than not, hurts yourself. Sonnen is determined to end Silva's reign, lets not forget, it's almost been a year since Silva has fought and he's 37, and is always "injured" and who the hell knows if he's actually going to be 100% or use a rib excuse again. I'll point this out once, 5 years ago there was a fighter that was invincible and was also 37, think about who that was.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
You're not showing enough respect for Bisping. His wrestling was fantastic in that fight.

I'll be cheering for Chael in this fight but I have a feeling Anderson gets a quick stoppage. He'll be ready for Chaels aggression this time.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Peter Griffin

Anderson is pissed right off, that plays right into Chael's gameplan I'm sure.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
3:51 of the 3rd round, the champ retains! Chael keeps his belt for sure.

War Chael!

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Dana White predicts UFC 148 to match 'UFC 100-level numbers' on PPV

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/25/31...-las-vegas-mma

I understand hyping it but nothing in MMA will touch that card PPV buy wise. Lesnar, Mir, GSP, Alves, Hendo, and Bisping plus the aura around the 100 number. Not going to happen.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:07 AM
BGDDYKWL

I don't see any way Silva gives Sonnen a prolonged beating. Could he catch him with something? Sure. But I don't see Silva beating him up round after round. That's highly unlikely. Silva has a knack for catching guys with stuff they never otherwise would get caught with, so that's always a possibility, but that aside, I don't see him stopping Chael from taking him down. Word was Chael had a bad weight cut for the Bisping fight, and my guess is that played a factor in his performance. Mark my words, if Chael beats Anderson and then has to fight Bisping, it will look much different than their first fight.

I really hope Sonnen works on a couple of submissions from the top. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to finish guys with punches, and trying to be perfect for 25 minutes is VERY difficult (as we saw).

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Dylonus

That's right, piss off Anderson Silva. That's a great idea

Silva will destroy Sonnen

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
via UFC on Facebook

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:55 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Great card. I predict Sonnen's toast without his juice. Not to mention Silva should be more motivated than ever.
Without his juice? He got permission to continue TRT. His levels will likely be lower though.

I predict Sonnen comes out looking strong and zitty across the shoulders.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Main Card:
Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs Chael Sonnen
Light Heavyweight bout: Forrest Griffin vs Tito Ortiz
Middleweight bout: Cung Le vs Patrick C˘tÚ
Welterweight bout: Dong Hyun Kim vs Demian Maia
Featherweight bout: Chad Mendes vs Cody McKenzie

Preliminary Card on FX:
Bantamweight bout: Ivan Menjivar vs Mike Easton
Lightweight bout: Gleison Tibau vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs FabrÝcio Cam§es
Middleweight bout: Constantinos Philippou vs Riki Fukuda

Preliminary Card on Facebook:
Lightweight bout: John Alessio vs Shane Roller
Lightweight bout: Rafaello Oliveira vs Yoislandy Izquierdo

Why is Mendes fighting McKenzie? Seems like a huge step down for Mendes and a huge step up for McKenzie. Weird match up.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Why is Mendes fighting McKenzie? Seems like a huge step down for Mendes and a huge step up for McKenzie. Weird match up.
I thought the exact same thing as soon as the matchup was announced. Not to mention this is Cody's first fight at featherweight (at least in the UFC).

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Youre dreaming.

Silva's reign is finally over.
Lol I have Silva winning the first round TKO in the 3rd minute

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Silva is the best fighter in the world.

A pissed off Silva is gonna put Chael thru the mat.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
I thought the exact same thing as soon as the matchup was announced. Not to mention this is Cody's first fight at featherweight (at least in the UFC).
Mendes has relied a ton on his wrestling in his MMA career, so I think its just going to be more of a test to see how his striking has come along.

It is a huge step up for McKenzie, but on the other hand its a massive opportunity for him. I think he'll lose but if Mendes decided to take him down and got caught in the choke its not like it would be crazy.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I Am Beat You

If McKenize can utilize his reach and hang with Mendes on the feet, it might up resulting in a takedown and an opportunity for the guillotine. Even standing I could see McKenzie going for it if they end up in close quarters, so this should be an interesting fight. I still expect Mendes to win though.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote