HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings open contract talks with Jonathan Quick

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Yup, if we are going to repeat the mistake Nashville made 5 years tops is all I want to see.

Rinne got that deal because Nashville was trying to prove to Suter and Weber that they are willing to spend to have a competitive team. Watch how that falls apart now on July 1.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yup, if we are going to repeat the mistake Nashville made 5 years tops is all I want to see.

Rinne got that deal because Nashville was trying to prove to Suter and Weber that they are willing to spend to have a competitive team. Watch how that falls apart now on July 1.
I don't understand how its a 'mistake' to get 7 years.

Sometimes, longer is better since the cap should go up as revenue goes up. By holding the cap hit the same, you are able to spend more elsewhere.

Dustin Brown is probably the best example of a long term contract working in a team's favor. One could argue Kopitar as well.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I don't care what he gets. He deserves every penny but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up signing for less than some of you guys are talking about.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I think his extension won't be long in coming. The players know what the team means to us, and they want to be here. The team is an extremely tight unit, I haven't heard of any problems that these guys have with each other for years and everyone re-ups, so I'm assuming there are no problems. And lastly, the front office knows what Quick means to the team. They'll come straight out with a fair offer, some tweaking may be needed and there will be a contract.
I was just thinking about this today, has anyone left the Kings via UFA that Dean really wanted to keep? I can't think of anyone. Mitchell, Williams, Stoll and Fraser have all re-signed before hitting UFA status. Kopitar, Johnson, Doughty, Brown and Greene all signed long term while being RFAs.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I don't understand how its a 'mistake' to get 7 years.

Sometimes, longer is better since the cap should go up as revenue goes up. By holding the cap hit the same, you are able to spend more elsewhere.

Dustin Brown is probably the best example of a long term contract working in a team's favor. One could argue Kopitar as well.
I think 7 years is a long commitment for a goaltender. Some goalies, and Quick in particular, rely on their athletic ability. Suppose Quick gets an arthritic hip or some other chronic injury that affects his legs? There is no way he will be as effective if that happens, which is why I prefer shorter contracts for goalies, especially when the cap hit is substantial.

Forwards and defensemen can get injured as well, but they are often able to compensate in other ways.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
damacles1156

There is not a single person on this team worth the raise Quick is about to get.

Quick deserves every penny, kudos to him.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:02 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I think 7 years is a long commitment for a goaltender. Some goalies, and Quick in particular, rely on their athletic ability. Suppose Quick gets an arthritic hip or some other chronic injury that affects his legs? There is no way he will be as effective if that happens, which is why I prefer shorter contracts for goalies, especially when the cap hit is substantial.

Forwards and defensemen can get injured as well, but they are often able to compensate in other ways.
Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days (not to mention this contract would be insured as well so AEG could recover a good chunk of the payout if Quick (god forbid) gets a long term injury.

This really isn't something to get that hung up over.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Here is a comp:

Henrik Lundqvist signed his deal at 25 or 26. Prior to the deal kicking in he had 195 GP, a GAA of 2.25-2.30 (rough estimate), and a SV% around .917.

Quick will be signing his deal at 26 (hopefully). Prior to the deal kicking in (assuming he is healthy next year), Quick will have played well over 300 games, had similar numbers and won a Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe, I am not going to give those numbers since we still have a season to go. But if you don't think Quick deserves a similar deal to Lundqvist, you're nuts.

EDIT: Not directed at you, Tony.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days (not to mention this contract would be insured as well so AEG could recover a good chunk of the payout if Quick (god forbid) gets a long term injury.

This really isn't something to get that hung up over.
Yes, if it's a long term "injury". With goalies it can be something that isn't enough to keep them out of the lineup, but hampers their play enough for it to be noticable. The injury can even be completely healed, but leave the goalie in question a lot less effective. Goalie is the one position on the team where that really becomes a huge problem.

Pay Quick, that's fine just make it for 5 or 6 years tops. 5 years $33M would be a good deal for both sides.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Im struggling with 7 mil a year. Goalies arent supposed to make that much. Pecker ruined it for everybody...... Quick or not 7 mill is scary.
I agree with this. Thomas won a Vezna, Con Smythe, Stanley cup and didn't earn that much. Chicago won with Neimi. Fleury in Pttsburgh doesn't make that much.

I think the max a team should devote to its starter is 6/year. Unfortunately Quick will get more.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Perro

Quote:

If Suter and Weber were to stay, the preds would have no money left to spend on their forwards because it would all be tied up on the backend and in net.
I don't want to see that happen to the Kings.
I guess if he does make 7 mil I am hopefull that it would be on a shorter term. Longer term the lower the cap hit.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Anyone find out yet who is JQ's agent is?

Old
06-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Also, Quick is being signed to an extension, the Kings can sign a deal anytime they like since they own his rights. The only reason I can see why they are rushing to get a deal done now is to see where they are at July 1st this year and use that as a big selling point to either of the big two UFAs. Also whatever deal they sign with him this year will have no direct monetary impact on our cap situation this year...only next year and on.

However I have a feeling if Lombardi is going with his "gut" and not numbers on Penner, he will re-sign Penner and we will just skip on the two big guys.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Bandit

As far as I'm concerned, whatever they give Quick, he's already earned it, even if he never plays another game in a Kings uniform.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
As far as I'm concerned, whatever they give Quick, he's already earned it, even if he never plays another game in a Kings uniform.
Just forget about trying to win one or two more?

That's not what this was all about.

Quick deserves a lion's share of the credit for the team's Stanley Cup victory and should be highly compensated, but I want to win more cups.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Just forget about trying to win one or two more?

That's not what this was all about.

Quick deserves a lion's share of the credit for the team's Stanley Cup victory and should be highly compensated, but I want to win more cups.
And locking Quick up doesn't improve LA's chances of winning more Cups?

Old
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And locking Quick up doesn't improve LA's chances of winning more Cups?
Locking him up is fine. Locking him up for 8 years and more than $56M is dumb.

As I said, I think 5 years and $33M is fair to both sides. The Nashville contract with Rinne is stupid.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Locking him up is fine. Locking him up for 8 years and more than $56M is dumb.

As I said, I think 5 years and $33M is fair to both sides. The Nashville contract with Rinne is stupid.
So having him signed for 3 more years makes a big difference between the Kings winning or not winning the Cup? What if he suffers an injury in his first year under contract? What if Doughty suffers an injury? You can't say whether or not he's going to suffer from a career ending injury, so it is nonsensical to believe that it will definitely happen to him. How is it any different having Richards and Carter locked up for the next 10+ years?

In 8 years Quick will be 34. Well conditioned goalies play until their late 30s. Stop worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quick was the kings best player last year and deserves to be paid every bit as much as Doughty and Kopitar

Old
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So having him signed for 3 more years makes a big difference between the Kings winning or not winning the Cup? What if he suffers an injury in his first year under contract? What if Doughty suffers an injury? You can't say whether or not he's going to suffer from a career ending injury, so it is nonsensical to believe that it will definitely happen to him. How is it any different having Richards and Carter locked up for the next 10+ years?

In 8 years Quick will be 34. Well conditioned goalies play until their late 30s. Stop worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.
That's what Canuck fans said. It isn't just about Quick being well-conditioned and injury free. At some point during a long term deal a better and cheaper goalie could be available to the Kings. When do you worry about it, five years into an 8 or 9 year deal?

We traded for Richards and Carter, and their 10+ year contracts are obviously tailored to be bought out well before they expire.

The point is you don't saddle yourself with a long term deal with a goalie. The position is too unpredictable. That makes it different.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
bral
Go Kings!

I hope for something around 6 mil at 6 years. Quick shouldn't be paid based on this year alone, he's been a good to great goalie throughout his career and should be paid accordingly. He still has some consistency to his game to prove imo.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Goalies are different than players. A player having a bad year can be assigned a lesser role on the team or be shielded by their partners and still contribute on the ice. A goalie can ruin a whole season for their team and possibly their career with it if they have a bad season. Or sit on the bench for most of the season while eating up a good chunk of cap space.

Quick deserves to get paid, no doubt about it... but those long term contracts are just sooo risky when it comes to goaltenders. I'm fine with the salary, I'm just worried about term.

If Rinne is the mold, give Quick 7 million for 4 years and if things are good after 4 years give him 3 more.

Anyway, Dean will figure it out.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

I'd love to see Quick get the same deal that Cam Ward got.

6 years @ 38 million.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:35 PM
drbob

Quick gets paid handsomely:

imho, and deserves it for being the most impactful player on the Kings this year, our only year of winning the Cup in 44 seasons.

He also was the most impactful player in the entire playoffs, for any team.

He was only a 3rd round draft pick and it was expected that Bernier would be our top goalie by last year, but Quickie developed so fast and so well that he took the job first and kept it.

His attitude and character of being humble and giving credit to his team mates makes me think that he will be worth the risk of a longer term contract,

say 7-8 years at a well-deserved $7M per year.

I can never forget how Patrick Roy in '93 and Giguere in two Finals single-handedly dominated the playoffs.

I just don't think Quickie will become complacent or take his press clippings to heart but I believe he will stay hungry, just as Roy and Brodeur did.

If he gives us a home-town discount, that's great, but if not, don't worry, be happy that he is a Los Angeles King and will be for many more years!

I want 2 more Cups in the next 5-6 years and predict we won't win next year, but will win the Stanley Cup in the year after cuz the hunger will be back in full force.

Go Kings Go!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by drbob: 06-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Top 10 Highest Paid Goalies:
http://capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=...ion=G&limit=25
Pekka Rinne, 7 yrs, $7M
Henrik Lundqvist, 6 yrs, $6.875M
Roberto Luongo, 12 yrs, $6.714M
Ilya Bryzgalov, 9 yrs, $6.5M
Cam Ward, 6 yrs, $6.4M
Ryan Miller, 5 yrs, $6.25M
Niklas Backstrom, 4 yrs, $6M
Marc-Andre Fleury, 5 yrs, $5.5M
Miikka Kiprusoff, 6 yrs, $5M
Rick DiPietro, 15 yrs, $4.5M

All of those goalies are older than Quick. In five years, Quick will be 31, in his prime, and if he continues to be among the best goalies in the league, he is going to be even more expensive to retain at 31 (which is how old Luongo was when he signed his 12 year deal).

If you listened to Lombardi talk about Quick yesterday on NHL Live, you'll realize just how much him and the organization values Quick as a person and as a player. He was the most consistent King this past season and should have been in contention for the Hart Trophy. The Kings will make Quick among the richest goalies in the league and he will be locked up for a very long time.

Closed Thread