HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Tootoo turns down 3-year deal.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
codeman00

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
What's really funny is that Tootoo retweeted the link to that story on twitter!
I know! I just saw that. That is just bizarre! Not sure if he's provoking backlash to go to Poile or what. Or he's just saying goodbye. I'd love to know his motive for that tweet.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

toots will always be my favorite player... by far. bash the guy all you want but he has more heart than alot of the guys on the team.

he publicly got into it rads which was great after rads being an ass.. don't be fooled everyone on the team loved toots.

and he is gone all cause of yip. you could say what you want about either but when you look at the numbers.. toots should be back. but its okay, trotz in love

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Legionnaire11

I think we all loved watching Tootoo and wish he could stay. But his contribution doesn't match up with what his $$$ demands will be, and apparently he can't handle being scratched in important games these days.

If he accepted his role better, and accepted a contract in line with what he brings to the ice, he'd be here as long as he wanted to be.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think we all loved watching Tootoo and wish he could stay. But his contribution doesn't match up with what his $$$ demands will be, and apparently he can't handle being scratched in important games these days.

If he accepted his role better, and accepted a contract in line with what he brings to the ice, he'd be here as long as he wanted to be.
people hear "sizeable" and jump to conclusions.. what if sizeable is 2 years 1.5 per ? and all he wants is a 3-4 deal at 2 mil per? lets see what he gets before we throw the $$ argument.. which btw, with suter gone*, we are gonna have to "blow" some money somewhere..

either way, he is out for yip. who is pretty much the guy who gets << 10 mins of ice time and just hope he doesn't commit a penalty or screw up. tootoo has more to his game. at several different stretches, toots was one of our better forwards contributing offensively and using linemates for zone time

Old
06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Legionnaire11

$500k is a big difference when talking about your 12th/13th forward. Especially when $1-2M can mean the difference between making money and losing it for the Preds each season.

as for having to overpay to reach the floor if Suter leaves, there are better assets to overpay for. We don't know what the situation will be like in 3-4 years and there's no way Poile locks himself into a bad contract on Jordin Tootoo when it can comeback to bite him down the road.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

you have valid points but like I said lets see what he gets before saying too much now.. still want him back. he will always be a predator to me

Old
06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
people hear "sizeable" and jump to conclusions.. what if sizeable is 2 years 1.5 per ? and all he wants is a 3-4 deal at 2 mil per? lets see what he gets before we throw the $$ argument.. which btw, with suter gone*, we are gonna have to "blow" some money somewhere..

either way, he is out for yip. who is pretty much the guy who gets << 10 mins of ice time and just hope he doesn't commit a penalty or screw up. tootoo has more to his game. at several different stretches, toots was one of our better forwards contributing offensively and using linemates for zone time
His stretch where he was one of our better forwards on our hottest line lasted a grand total of five weeks from 20 Nov - 28 Dec. Prior to, and following, that time span it was the same old Toots we've come to know ... minus the effective pest aspect of his game. He lacks the consistent offensive skill to fill the Ott/Avery type role of pest/scorer yet he seems to want that type of money. Wrecking balls who will drop the gloves come a lot cheaper than $1.5mil ... so do young 5-8 goal scorers.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
NoNecksCurse

what about older 7 goal scorers that cost 3 million? as in gaustad who is reportedly close to signing. he's good defensively as well but so are 80% of our forwards. they really have to be under trotz. and honestly as good as he is at draws, they get overrated sometimes. the fact that all our other centers are so awful at faceoffs is what makes him so valuable.

all things considered, i honestly think toots under 1.75 and we should keep him. but with yip and all the other bottom 6 youngsters coming back (spaling, halischuk, bourque, etc) .. toots is all but gone regardless of money

Old
06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

After Tootoo's scratching and the public comments he made about it I wouldn't bring him back. It's time for us to move on and him to get his big payday with possibly better opportunity. Someone like Burke will give him lots of money.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
After Tootoo's scratching and the public comments he made about it I wouldn't bring him back. It's time for us to move on and him to get his big payday with possibly better opportunity. Someone like Burke will give him lots of money.
I agree.. while i liked he was upset about ice time.. you can't do that and say those things to the media

Old
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Legionnaire11

I won't be happy if Gaustad gets $3M... I'd like to see $2M, but I think it will be in that $2.5-3M, so he needs to bring more for that price. Hopefully some of last season was the shoulder injury, because the Gaustad we go was NOT worth a 1st

Old
06-26-2012, 05:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I won't be happy if Gaustad gets $3M... I'd like to see $2M, but I think it will be in that $2.5-3M, so he needs to bring more for that price. Hopefully some of last season was the shoulder injury, because the Gaustad we go was NOT worth a 1st
that first we gave up turned out to be jankowski .. just noting.

and as much as i hated smithson.. if we use the same thinking as some are against tootoo.. we should just let gaustad go and bring smithson back. if faceoffs are all gaustad is going to be of any note of

Old
06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
what about older 7 goal scorers that cost 3 million? as in gaustad who is reportedly close to signing. he's good defensively as well but so are 80% of our forwards. they really have to be under trotz. and honestly as good as he is at draws, they get overrated sometimes. the fact that all our other centers are so awful at faceoffs is what makes him so valuable.

all things considered, i honestly think toots under 1.75 and we should keep him. but with yip and all the other bottom 6 youngsters coming back (spaling, halischuk, bourque, etc) .. toots is all but gone regardless of money
1.75mil for Toots? Bring back Fiddler, an extremely consistent 11 goal scorer as a Pred, at that price.

Tootoo is at his best as an energy guy. When he tries to do more, he tends to struggle. Yes, there are those very short spurts of offense in his game, but, they last about a month and he's invisible beyond that. One dimensional energy guys are relatively inexpensive across the league, and that is what Tootoo is. Bourque, Halischuk, and even Yip have better all around games. Gaustad can kill penalties, win draws, bang, grind, defensively responsible ... more dimensions than Tootoo brings. When compared to the other bottom six options in the organization, Toots finds himself lost in the shuffle and not worth the amount of money he's apparently asking for.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Also, Trotz said one time on the radio that he doesn't like guys that stay out on a shift too long. Tootoo stayed past his shift, just about every shift. I'm sure the players didn't like that part too much.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:56 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Gaustad won't get 3. I think he's peaked in the $2.5 range.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:38 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Personally, I like Tootoo and respect him for what he has had to overcome. The guy has had a lot happen to him in his life; some of those things were his own doing, and some of those things were completely out of his control. He still works hard to do what he loves to do.

With that said, I will not mind seeing him go. The team is bringing in younger forwards with skills that Tootoo doesn't have. Yip is a cheaper option for a fourth liner who will drop the gloves (even if he isn't as exciting to watch in a fight as Tootoo), and who will eat ~10 minutes per night. Yip also won't complain about it.

And ******* it, I may be less of a Preds fan to some for saying this, but I cannot wait until I don't have to hear those ****ing Tootoo whistles any longer.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:11 AM
token grinder

it isn't just yip pushing him off the roster. it is spaling. and halischuck. and bourque. and smith. and latta. and beck. and watson. Point being there are plenty of guys who will outperform him on a bottom 2 line, and for half of what he wants to make.

I get it, he is almost 30 and wants security. that is fine. like suter, he has earned his ufa status.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

And ******* it, I may be less of a Preds fan to some for saying this, but I cannot wait until I don't have to hear those ****ing Tootoo whistles any longer.
That's funny. I think the more noise the better. I wish everybody had a vuvuzela. When I'm at a game, I want the most noise possible coming from the stands.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Personally, I like Tootoo and respect him for what he has had to overcome. The guy has had a lot happen to him in his life; some of those things were his own doing, and some of those things were completely out of his control. He still works hard to do what he loves to do.

With that said, I will not mind seeing him go. The team is bringing in younger forwards with skills that Tootoo doesn't have. Yip is a cheaper option for a fourth liner who will drop the gloves (even if he isn't as exciting to watch in a fight as Tootoo), and who will eat ~10 minutes per night. Yip also won't complain about it.

Agree. The situation with his brother was just terrible. Don't remember what this was from (some old interview) but I remember Toots saying he plays so hard because he was playing for he and his brother at the same time. That showed. Gave me chills when I heard him say it.

Good luck Toots.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
That's funny. I think the more noise the better. I wish everybody had a vuvuzela. When I'm at a game, I want the most noise possible coming from the stands.
oh dear God no... I would use my doctorate-level knowledge of anatomy and surgical training to find an appropriate place to put your vuvuzela if you were sitting near me..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Agreed! It would make for a better atmosphere - better than the lower bowl businessmen in most canadian cities' standiums...

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Adz

I have to wonder how much truth we're getting from this. I figured Jordin really blew up some bridges with his profanity filled outburst in the spring. I was kind of surprised to hear that he'd been offered a 3 year deal after that. I like Jordin, like what he brings to the table when he's "on", but remaining professional at all times is pretty important too, and he didn't in that interview.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I have to wonder how much truth we're getting from this. I figured Jordin really blew up some bridges with his profanity filled outburst in the spring. I was kind of surprised to hear that he'd been offered a 3 year deal after that. I like Jordin, like what he brings to the table when he's "on", but remaining professional at all times is pretty important too, and he didn't in that interview.
I really think poile needed some "plausible deniability" ie fanny coverage in case of any fan backlash, he can say "hey, we tried to sign him but he didnt want to stay" so i dont doubt there was an offer made,. probably not blatantly lowball but probably low enough that Poile knew it would be declined

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Shea Weber

Josh Cooper said on the radio today that he thinks the 3-year deal was offered earlier in the season....not just recently.

Makes sense.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
NoNecksCurse

don't be mistaken.. as much as we think we are a hockey town... we're not. fans will be pissed that toots is gone. regardless if we think its dumb, which it is, the preds will lose fans and revenue from him being gone. probably not near as much as it use to be. i dont even think it will be enough revenue lost to affect anything.. but there will be fans/revenue lost, no doubt