HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
06-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Milliardo

vCash: 500
I absolutely love this pick, a lot of people will have to eat crow in 3-4 years at the latest.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I absolutely love this pick, a lot of people will have to eat crow in 3-4 years at the latest.
And I'd be perfectly happy in doing so.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Didn't I say this was coming? The crying and whining? It's like I can see the future...

People cried about Despres... Anyone crying now?

People cried about Morrow... Anyone crying now?

People crying about DP now... Wait until he matures and you see him play, unreal vision.

The Pens have the sickest blueline farm in the league. No team is even close, seriously.

Shero has just created his own blueline gold mine to leverage... Do people even realize the plethora of options Shero has now?
You can say this as many times as you want, people will still ***** an whine all day long because of reasons such as "WE NEED WINGERS" or, "GREAT, ANOTHER GUY I'VE NEVER HEARD OF" or "WE SHOULD HAVE PICKED XY". It's ridiculous and next year, nobody will want to trade Pouliot for anything. People really need to relax when it comes to the draft.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
I'll be more than happy to eat crow in 3 years because it'll mean that Pouliot turned out better than Fors and Grig, which would be awesome.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Milliardo

I believe that Mr. Burgundy will come out and eat crow (if Pouliot turns out great), Muffin, not so much, sorry

Old
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Morrow won't be there.
forgot he was turning pro next year, got him confused with Harrington

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
JTG

The thing is that we really don't need wingers if Shero signs or trades for guys this offseason. THe turnover on the blueline is going to be much more frequent in the coming years.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I believe that Mr. Burgundy will come out and eat crow (if Pouliot turns out great), Muffin, not so much, sorry
I'll bite the head off of it, just like Ozzie with the bat.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing is that we really don't need wingers if Shero signs or trades for guys this offseason. THe turnover on the blueline is going to be much more frequent in the coming years.
That is the key thing people are overlooking.

I said before the draft how deep it is on the blueline; how a top 15 guy would fall (Maatta) and that I wanted Shero to just build a sick blueline farm.

It worked out even better than I dreamed and they clearly have the deepest pool in the league now. How can you be angry about that?

I wanted Frk or Aberg at 22, but you don't see me *****ing. No one on here complained more about the lack of fwd depth on this farm than me, but I know having a stable full of the most valuable type of prospects (blueliners) is worth their weight in gold.

The reality is people wanted a fwd like PF, who wouldn't have helped for another three yrs minimum. Shero knew at the draft table with Staal out of the picture now, he was going to address the lack of skill in the top 6 now, not wait for a kid three years down the line. He then preceded to build the deepest blueline farm in the NHL. It's the stuff wet dreams are made of.

Again, people have to look at the big picture.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
That is the key thing people are overlooking.
It is a meaningless argument when it comes to this draft. The number of D-men already picked in years past assures a tougher road to the NHL team for a D-prospect than any capable forward would have. It is obvious. We have what..... two wingers signed beyond next season?

Quote:
Shero knew at the draft table with Staal out of the picture now, he was going to address the lack of skill in the top 6 now, not wait for a kid three years down the line. He then preceded to build the deepest blueline farm in the NHL. It's the stuff wet dreams are made of.

Again, people have to look at the big picture.
What is the difference between picking a forward or a D-man who won't make a difference for 3 years, at best? Pouliot and Maatta certainly won't either, and Forsberg for instance is already playing against men.

This has nothing to do with disliking Pouliot the player. I am not against picking D-men at all.
This is simply about being in position to have a free range of very good prospects and lots of people disagreeing that Shero got the BPA.
Beyond that, of course many people had their hopes up for a potential impact forward seeing that such a player would have a much easier way into the team. Particularly when many professionals felt that when we drafted the BPA's were actually forwards.

Whoever is right we will see down the line, but you telling people that they should trust these decisions unconditionally is no different than others telling you that Tangradi isn't playing because he isn't good enough. There's room for grey between the black and white.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

The long and short of it was that the Pens, and ten other teams, did not think that Forsberg was all that and a big of chips to boot.

Teams do miss, Giroux at 22, Goligoski (who we all said who the hell is that whe he was drafted) in the second and Letang in the third round, and on and on. Bu at this point, Shero deserves some benefit of the doubt on these picks. he has earned it and done pretty well overall.

I say that having groaned when we took Pouliot as well.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I admittedly haven't read the whole thread (I'm still a little hazy from my Draft trip) but are people really saying that Pouliot is a bad prospect? Because I think he's really solid, I just don't think he was the BPA when we picked. Clearly, the Pens disagreed and they took their guy and if I hadn't really seen him or many of the other top guys play I'd probably side with the professional scouts as opposed to an ass who habitually gets bombed and goes bowling.

But that's not a very fun or engaging argument. Saying that someone else disagrees is boring and unfair because who's to say Pouliot doesn't drop out of the first round if the Pens don't take him at eight? There's no way to know if that's a possibility since that's not how it played out for Pouliot...but that's what happened to Matt Finn who was similarly ranked leading up to the draft.

All it takes is for one team to fall in love with a guy and I think that's what happened to the Pens and Pouliot. And hey...that's great, he's a real good prospect. I just don't think he was as good as some of the other players available and that's cool if you disagree with me.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I admittedly haven't read the whole thread (I'm still a little hazy from my Draft trip) but are people really saying that Pouliot is a bad prospect? Because I think he's really solid, I just don't think he was the BPA when we picked. Clearly, the Pens disagreed and they took their guy and if I hadn't really seen him or many of the other top guys play I'd probably side with the professional scouts as opposed to an ass who habitually gets bombed and goes bowling.

But that's not a very fun or engaging argument. Saying that someone else disagrees is boring and unfair because who's to say Pouliot doesn't drop out of the first round if the Pens don't take him at eight? There's no way to know if that's a possibility since that's not how it played out for Pouliot...but that's what happened to Matt Finn who was similarly ranked leading up to the draft.

All it takes is for one team to fall in love with a guy and I think that's what happened to the Pens and Pouliot. And hey...that's great, he's a real good prospect. I just don't think he was as good as some of the other players available and that's cool if you disagree with me.
That's the consensus. It's not that Pouliot is disliked, it's that he's not perceived as being the BPA, and further confounded by the fact that there are forwards (position of need) thought to be superior prospects.

I like Pouliot, just a little uncomfortable taking him where @ 8, ahead of Forsberg and Grigorenko. Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
I like Pouliot, just a little uncomfortable taking him where @ 8, ahead of Forsberg and Grigorenko. Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.
Yeah man that's where I'm at as well.

Me and Jiggy typically agree on a lot of things but it looks like we;re a little off on this one. Being disappointed by Despres or Morrow isn't the same thing in this case. Those were both later first rounders...not top 10 picks. If the third best forward in the draft was still on the board in 2009 (we'll use Evander Kane as this example) and we still took Despres...yeah...I'd be livid. Well, we kinda did that to a lesser degree last weekend.

I still think we got a beauty of a player, but can anyone really argue that Maatta isn't on par with Pouliot? How often are the Pens going to pick that high again? I think we had a chance to grab one of the many high skilled forwards that the team lacks but instead we grabbed another, quality puck moving defensman.

Pouliot's not a bad pick, I just don't think it was a great pick either. And I'm a huge believer in BPA, I've championed that **** around here for years. Believe me, I'd love for Pouliot to turn out to be the best player picked after the #8 spot...I just don't think he will be.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The Penguins certainly aren't drafting for need. He was their BPA. We can disagree with their evaluation but it is what it is.

I think they see his strengths, best passing D in the draft according to multiple scouts I heard and read, mobility, and a fantastic transition player. All things they have an emphasis on in their current system. Add to that the familiarity with him because he plays with Morrow and how impressed they likely are at the job the Portland staff is doing developing Morrow and it's easy to see why they like the kid. They may look at it and think they love Morrow and this kid may become even better. We'll see.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Regardless of whether we picked Forsberg or not, for whatever reason, we still have one of the most dangerous offenses with Crosby, Malkin and Neal. What's going to be really crazy, is that we're going to have one of the most dangerous offensively gifted blue-lines as well with Letang, Morrow and Pouliot in a short while.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
mpp9

It's apparent that DB and Shero want a certain type of blue line. We weren't willing to adapt our system to make things work with Z.

Having the depth that we do now, there's going to be a lot of turnover on the backend. Keeping our cap space on D on the cheap. If we sign Suter, I could see Tanger gone in the near future. Especially if we're also going after an impact winger for Sid.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Dude, it's June.
I love your matter of fact answers

Old
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Joes will not be limited by the likes of Spinal Tap.
Damn straight

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It is a meaningless argument when it comes to this draft. The number of D-men already picked in years past assures a tougher road to the NHL team for a D-prospect than any capable forward would have. It is obvious. We have what..... two wingers signed beyond next season?
How do you know that, exactly?

We have no clue what the depth of this team will look like in three years.

Quote:
What is the difference between picking a forward or a D-man who won't make a difference for 3 years, at best? Pouliot and Maatta certainly won't either, and Forsberg for instance is already playing against men.
The difference is people want to draft for a current weakness, that I am 100% sure will be fixed because Staal has been moved.

Again, big picture here.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with disliking Pouliot the player. I am not against picking D-men at all.
This is simply about being in position to have a free range of very good prospects and lots of people disagreeing that Shero got the BPA.
Beyond that, of course many people had their hopes up for a potential impact forward seeing that such a player would have a much easier way into the team. Particularly when many professionals felt that when we drafted the BPA's were actually forwards.

Whoever is right we will see down the line, but you telling people that they should trust these decisions unconditionally is no different than others telling you that Tangradi isn't playing because he isn't good enough. There's room for grey between the black and white.
When have I ever said I trust what this org does unconditionally? That is classic...

How many times have I criticized this org inability to draft and develop top six fwds? I am simply pointing out that Shero now as an unreal blueline pool to build his big club. If people can't see the rare value in that, they need to open up their minds and put down the draft guides for a minute.

The irony is, I also watched them pass up a few fwds I really wanted, but that doesn't mean I am going to whine about it, especially when Shero ends up doing exactly as I predicted he would. Me whining would be kind of hypocritical, given that I flat out stated I felt his best course of action was to continue adding to his deep blueline farm.

If someone like IHWR criticizes the pick, I respect him being disappointed. However, when people flat out say they never saw any of these players and all they did was read a draft guide... Then they ***** about the pick, that is foolish. Sorry.

I've already read a few people who said in no uncertain terms PF will be better than DP. Based on what? A draft guide? Please...

If people can't understand the value of what Shero just did here, cool. But I'm not going to agree with people who can't see the big picture.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Me and Jiggy typically agree on a lot of things but it looks like we;re a little off on this one. Being disappointed by Despres or Morrow isn't the same thing in this case. Those were both later first rounders...not top 10 picks. If the third best forward in the draft was still on the board in 2009 (we'll use Evander Kane as this example) and we still took Despres...yeah...I'd be livid. Well, we kinda did that to a lesser degree last weekend.

I still think we got a beauty of a player, but can anyone really argue that Maatta isn't on par with Pouliot? How often are the Pens going to pick that high again? I think we had a chance to grab one of the many high skilled forwards that the team lacks but instead we grabbed another, quality puck moving defensman.

Pouliot's not a bad pick, I just don't think it was a great pick either. And I'm a huge believer in BPA, I've championed that **** around here for years. Believe me, I'd love for Pouliot to turn out to be the best player picked after the #8 spot...I just don't think he will be.
I honestly have more concerns about Maatta than DP, but I am going to hold off for another season and see how he does before I wonder if Frk or Aberg would of been a better pick at 22.

One, because you generally see a big improvement in top tier players after they are drafted; two, as I said I am very confident the winger position will be fixed this season; three, Marcantuoni has the potential to be as good as any fwd out of this draft aside from NY, if he can stay healthy and keep progressing. He has all of the tools to be a sick top 6er, but it seems very few people on here know about him.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
I honestly have more concerns about Maatta than DP, but I am going to hold off for another season and see how he does before I wonder if Frk or Aberg would of been a better pick at 22.

One, because you generally see a big improvement in top tier players after they are drafted; two, as I said I am very confident the winger position will be fixed this season; three, Marcantuoni has the potential to be as good as any fwd out of this draft aside from NY, if he can stay healthy and keep progressing. He has all of the tools to be a sick top 6er, but it seems very few people on here know about him.
I love Maatta. He plays like a bigger Timmonen. He's probably a 30-35 point guy at best (especially given the ridiculous depth the team now has on the blueline) but he plays a similar style to Pens board crush Ryan Suter. He was fantastic in the OHL playoffs also. It's always nice to see guys raise their games in the post season and he was easily London's best defenseman...it wasn't even close and that's a team that also rolls Harrington and Tinordi.

If I was picking between just Pouliot and Maatta...I'd probably take Maatta based solely on his ability to play in all scenarios...the guy's a bonafide minute eater. Pouliot's puck skills and passing give him the edge offensively but he reminds me a bit of Goligoski in that he's not really the guy who makes things go but he's skilled enough to play and thrive with better players.

Again, you can't go wrong with either to be honest. Ceci was another guy that I would've been pretty happy with at 8. I knew he had a hard shot but they clocked it at one of his workouts and he's already in the high 90's. Combine that with an all around game and great vision and I think you've got a guy in the mold of Larry Murphy.

My preference was still Forsberg...I actually would've taken him 3rd overall to be honest. His release is Sakic-esque and I love the way he handles to puck.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I love Maatta. He plays like a bigger Timmonen. He's probably a 30-35 point guy at best (especially given the ridiculous depth the team now has on the blueline) but he plays a similar style to Pens board crush Ryan Suter. He was fantastic in the OHL playoffs also. It's always nice to see guys raise their games in the post season and he was easily London's best defenseman...it wasn't even close and that's a team that also rolls Harrington and Tinordi.

If I was picking between just Pouliot and Maatta...I'd probably take Maatta based solely on his ability to play in all scenarios...the guy's a bonafide minute eater. Pouliot's puck skills and passing give him the edge offensively but he reminds me a bit of Goligoski in that he's not really the guy who makes things go but he's skilled enough to play and thrive with better players.

Again, you can't go wrong with either to be honest. Ceci was another guy that I would've been pretty happy with at 8. I knew he had a hard shot but they clocked it at one of his workouts and he's already in the high 90's. Combine that with an all around game and great vision and I think you've got a guy in the mold of Larry Murphy.

My preference was still Forsberg...I actually would've taken him 3rd overall to be honest. His release is Sakic-esque and I love the way he handles to puck.
Both of these guys are in good org and will get top notch coaching next year. I'm confident we will see a big jump for both of them by the time they turn pro.

People just have to be patient and again, we have an exciting fwd prospect in the system now. Who cares where he was taken? It isn't a reflection on his skill, but ****** luck with injuries. His shoulder is supposed to of healed well and he added 13 lbs of muscle since he got hurt.

Marcantuoni is right in my backyard here, I know as much about him as anyone in the draft. He has all of the talent we have wanted in a fwd prospect for yrs.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Marcantuoni is right in my backyard here, I know as much about him as anyone in the draft. He has all of the talent we have wanted in a fwd prospect for yrs.
I think I'm most thrilled with this pick, simply because he seems to have the best risk/reward ratio of all the players taken. If he busts, not a big deal since he was taken in round 4. But if he pans out, we potentially have a first round talent taken with a fourth round pick.

Hopefully he's not the next Keven Veilleux (injury-wise) so we can see what we've got over the next few seasons without him missing dozens of games each year, setting his development back.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:

I'm with you on this as well. With the 8th pick I feel as though we had a choice between a stud D prospect and a stud winger and considering the lack of a blue chip forward prospects in the system I wanted us to grab the stud winger (Forsberg). It's really as simple as that. No disrespect to Pouliot at all and I'm not questioning our scouts ability to draft good players. They have a great track record when it comes to taking defense so I'm pretty confident that Pouliot will be a solid player and I'm actually really excited about him. In fact I think most people who wanted Forsberg are still excited to see what Pouliot can do.

I don't see what's wrong with saying that or how that can be misconstrued as whining either. Maybe there were people throwing tantrums in the draft day thread but I missed it, so I really don't know.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote