HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz (Update: will sign with Edmonton)

Old
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Matt Read wasn't drafted.
I must have misunderstood his question then. I thought he was asking about when was the last time we signed a kid out of college who was gonna make an entrance right into the NHL.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Don't they still need a goalie?
If I'm remembering it correctly, Dubnyk's numbers over the last three months of the season are actually pretty strong, particularly since he was playing behind the team he was.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If I'm remembering it correctly, Dubnyk's numbers over the last three months of the season are actually pretty strong, particularly since he was playing behind the team he was.
The last two months of the season he kicked ass. He played 13 games and went 7-4-2 . In March we went 6-2 with a GAA of 1.95 and SV% of.934. In April he only play 4 games and went 1-2-1 but still only allowed 2.20 GAA and save % of .930. In February he was pretty bad though. I have always like him, big athletic goalie. They always have the Bulinwall behind him too

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Here's some good news on Shultz

In Friedman's 30 thoughts, his #1 thought was this:

Quote:
1. Since we mentioned him above, let's start with Schultz. Neither the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ducks nor his agency, Newport, would discuss it, but heard Anaheim allowed Toronto a window to try and sign him at the draft (There would have been some draft-pick compensation in return). He wants to test free agency and passed.
Maybe he really wants to find the best place available for him. All the Toronto fans were sure he would sign there if ever given the chance because of Gardiner.

And now he took that piece down. That seems very interesting. I guess somebody wasn't happy he put it in his blog. If this was/is true though, it gives every team out there a reasonable chance to sign him I think.

Last edited by Prongo: 06-26-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Schultz is in a great spot. His salary is going to be the same no matter what team he plays for, so he is looking for the next best thing, playing time. A franchise that can offer him minutes will up his value when is contract is up. The more playing time he gets the more value he has with that team, the greater salary he can command. He will not be guaranteed a thing by the Flyers especially not roster spot or playing time.

A team like Edmonton will almost certainly get him since they can guarantee a spot and playing time to him

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Schultz is in a great spot. His salary is going to be the same no matter what team he plays for, so he is looking for the next best thing, playing time. A franchise that can offer him minutes will up his value when is contract is up. The more playing time he gets the more value he has with that team, the greater salary he can command. He will not be guaranteed a thing by the Flyers especially not roster spot or playing time.

A team like Edmonton will almost certainly get him since they can guarantee a spot and playing time to him
I just find it troubling that any GM would say you have earned your roster spot when he wasn't even drafted, brought up, and groomed by that team(being a rookie and all). I understand plenty of teams have probably seen him play in Wisconsin, but I think it's silly saying he wants to play right now in the top 4. You must earn that, not just have it handed to you. Even if he does begin the year in the top 4, his play will dictate if he stays there. I don't know many GM's that would give into those silly demands. Burke and Homer most likely won't.

Also that part of this whole saga is still just speculation I think. He has never came out and said that himself. I just think there was something in Anaheim that he didn't like or appreciate to make him not want to be there anymore. The kid turned down almost 200,000K and a year off his RFA eligibility to sign else where.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I just find it troubling that any GM would say you have earned your roster spot when he wasn't even drafted, brought up, and groomed by that team(being a rookie and all). I understand plenty of teams have probably seen him play in Wisconsin, but I think it's silly saying he wants to play right now in the top 4. You must earn that, not just have it handed to you. Even if he does begin the year in the top 4, his play will dictate if he stays there. I don't know many GM's that would give into those silly demands. Burke and Homer most likely won't.
No way he comes to TDOT or Philly because of the reasons you stated. But like I said he is in a great spot since his salary is fixed he is looking for a team to come to the table to present him something more.

When you are a prized FA and 29 teams can all afford you and want you then in order to stand out one team has to make accomadations for you . It is as simple as that. We've seen it before with Tyler Brown and Stephane Da Costa both demanding to play in the NHL their first year, which they both did.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

Also the thing I find strange about Schultz is everyone saying he wants to play in Canada. If that was the case, why did he choose to go to Wisconsin University then? Some things just are strange with this whole saga.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So the question still stands, is Schultz stupid enough to demand to play his first year?

He might be talented enough to play a 5th or 6th role. He'd likely be good enough to actually EARN the 6th role in Philadelphia. So if he wants it to come down to playing time, if he wants to be THAT guy, he's going to be wildly disappointed where he is in 2013-14.

Quote:
Also the thing I find strange about Schultz is everyone saying he wants to play in Canada. If that was the case, why did he choose to go to Wisconsin University then? Some things just are strange with this whole saga.
I think nobody ****ing knows. Why were NYC and PHI mentioned? They're big markets with tons of press and tons of money. Why were all Canadian teams thrown into the mix? Same reason the Rags and Flyers were.

We won't know until everything is signed where he wants to go. I know it will be a big market team. That's all I know.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
So the question still stands, is Schultz stupid enough to demand to play his first year?

He might be talented enough to play a 5th or 6th role. He'd likely be good enough to actually EARN the 6th role in Philadelphia. So if he wants it to come down to playing time, if he wants to be THAT guy, he's going to be wildly disappointed where he is in 2013-14.

I think nobody ****ing knows. Why were NYC and PHI mentioned? They're big markets with tons of press and tons of money. Why were all Canadian teams thrown into the mix? Same reason the Rags and Flyers were.

We won't know until everything is signed where he wants to go. I know it will be a big market team. That's all I know.
I agree about demanding your playing time. I still don't even think that is one of his requirements, just think it's the media's speculation.

There is just so much **** about this whole thing that doesn't add up. If he wanted to play in Canada, why did he attend a American college. He could have played in one of Canada's junior hockey leagues? I just hope we get him and pair him with Kimmo, he can learn oh so much from that man.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Dubnyk would be an awesome addition and is on the cusp of truly breaking out as a starting goalie. His play last year was very encouraging, and he's still only 26. For that reason I'm sure he'd have no interest in coming here to be a backup. Oh, and he was given a qualifying offer by the Oilers yesterday.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Wow. Maybe Schultz does end up in Canada, but the anger from Canadians on the trade boards at the mere mention that it might not be plausible (i.e. just a media-related scam as it often is) is fairly impressive. I wasn't aware that Canadian national identity was so interwoven with where Schultz signs.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Broad Street Elite

No one really has any idea where Schultz is going. There have been no statements by his camp or meetings with teams to this point. It's all media talking heads trying to seem informed.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Dubnyk would be an awesome addition and is on the cusp of truly breaking out as a starting goalie. His play last year was very encouraging, and he's still only 26. For that reason I'm sure he'd have no interest in coming here to be a backup. Oh, and he was given a qualifying offer by the Oilers yesterday.
I was making that comment in reference to someone saying the oilers needed help in net.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Wisconsin is pretty close to Canada lol... Everyone in the media is saying that he wants to play for a Canadian team and that he already knows what team he is gonna sign with. I doubt he comes to Philly honestly.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Which offers an amusing contrast to your serious under-rating of the player.

Reality check... If Schultz were draft eligible, he probably gets taken in the area where Trouba was taken. Schultz is quite good, but he isn't THAT good or bad yet
I'm sorry I don't see him walking into the NHL and being a top pairing defenseman like the rest of you..

He's never played more ethan 60 games in a year and he will probably hit the wall like most college players do.

He may be good in the future, but he isn't walking into the Oilers team and leading them to the playoffs

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I'll take him. He looks like a dick.

Dicks usually win.
Valid point. See Seguin, Tyler and Carter, Jeff.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'm sorry I don't see him walking into the NHL and being a top pairing defenseman like the rest of you..

He's never played more ethan 60 games in a year and he will probably hit the wall like most college players do.

He may be good in the future, but he isn't walking into the Oilers team and leading them to the playoffs
yeah when was the last time a guy went from college defenseman with no pro experience to top pairing defenseman. To be honest, I'd only want Shultz if he was happy with playing bottom 6 minutes next year or wants top minutes in the AHL. Having a rook play top 4 minutes is asking for trouble on a team trying to win the cup.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
yeah when was the last time a guy went from college defenseman with no pro experience to top pairing defenseman.
His buddy Jake Gardiner

Old
06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
His buddy Jake Gardiner
He played a few AHL games and plus, the leafs didn't thrust him into a top role until about midway through the season

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:31 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He played a few AHL games and plus, the leafs didn't thrust him into a top role until about midway through the season
Haha, hence the Actually he never played on the top pairing besides the PP, but whatever.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

The guy who seems to have the inside scoop on Shultz (he covers the Badgers or something) said he likes the Flyers chances at acquiring him and he seems like a good fit.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
The guy who seems to have the inside scoop on Shultz (he covers the Badgers or something) said he likes the Flyers chances at acquiring him and he seems like a good fit.

Tweet/link?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
lancer247

Schultz is in danger of veing LeBroned. People will hate him for the specticle being created.

I just want to hear him say, "I am taking my talents to South Be..uh South Philly."

Trade Mez to CHI for Stalberg and OD.

OD would be a great mentor for Schenn and Schultz.

Kimo - Schenn
Coburn - Schultz
Carle - Grossman
OD
Lilja

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Tweet/link?
@UWchuckschwartz on the 25th of June:

Quote:
I love the Flyer's chances. They make a lot of sense to me for multiple reasons.
This was in response to someone asking him what he thought of the Flyers chances at signing Schultz.

This is the guy who listed TOR, VAN, EDM, NYR and PHI as his 'favourites' to land Schultz before Bob McKenzie listed the same 5 teams. Guy covers the Badgers but it doesn't really mean he has the 'inside scoop' but his opinion seems decent enough... however it's just an opinion. It's not from the mouth of Justin himself so it probably means nothing.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote