HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
  #26
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
It was all to do with contract.. It sounds ridiculous and it drove most fans insane, but its the truth. Komisarek was given every opportunity to play, but there isn't any one person who saw them play and could even argue who the better player was, or who deserved to be in the press box for that matter.


Khabibulin and Dubnyk also had excellent seasons... Having a goalie who makes saves makes a huge difference.

But hey, this is HF... Stats are the sole measuring stick, so carry on. Frankly, I don't understand why teams spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on scouting every year... You can just log onto the internet and pull everyones stats... Unless you're Edmonton and pick first every year, thats easy enough.
A person could easily misconstrue your intent not to offend.

Perhaps if you had looked up some stats you might have seen just how terrible Khabbibulin actually was instead of making a claim only someone who didn't watch the Oilers play at all would make.

TL edit

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:11 PM
  #27
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
A person could easily misconstrue your intent not to offend.

Perhaps if you had looked up some stats you might have seen just how terrible Khabbibulin actually was instead of making a claim only someone who didn't watch the Oilers play at all would make.
I was making a joke, relax yourself... Its easy to pick first, everyone knows this.

I did watch the Oilers play quite a bit early in the season, clearly thats where the disconnect comes.. My mistake, but I'll always use my eyes to form opinions, not stats.

Later in the season it seemed every game I watched, Dubnyk played, and was the only reason the Oilers were in the game... I remember one game vs San Jose specifically... They ended up winning in a shootout despite having absolutely no business doing so.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
  #28
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I was making a joke, relax yourself... Its easy to pick first, everyone knows this.

I did watch the Oilers play quite a bit early in the season, clearly thats where the disconnect comes.. My mistake, but I'll always use my eyes to form opinions, not stats.

Later in the season it seemed every game I watched, Dubnyk played, and was the only reason the Oilers were in the game... I remember one game vs San Jose specifically... They ended up winning in a shootout despite having absolutely no business doing so.
Khabbi had an amazing start to last year, all his numbers were off the board, then he fell of a cliff.

Dubnyk was shaky in the first half (mostly because Khabbi was getting most of the starts IMO).

Dubnyk made a very nice improvement to his game in the second half when he got regular starts and some of our defensemen came back from injury (odd how that works).

Khabbi has been responsible for his team drafting Kane, Toews then Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and most recently Nail Yakupov.

If you want a first overall pick you trade for this guy. (why do you think tambo signed him to a 4 year deal when he was 35+)

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
  #29
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
My mistake, but I'll always use my eyes to form opinions, not stats.
Why not both? Stats (i.e. empirical evidence) are only numerical representations of actual occurances, they obviously have some relevance. Obviously each stat can't be weighed against all other relevant context, but it doesn't make them useless. I would argue a balanced opinion see's one derive their positions from a combination of both stats and observation.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:29 PM
  #30
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Khabbi had an amazing start to last year, all his numbers were off the board, then he fell of a cliff.

Dubnyk was shaky in the first half (mostly because Khabbi was getting most of the starts IMO).

Dubnyk made a very nice improvement to his game in the second half when he got regular starts and some of our defensemen came back from injury (odd how that works).

Khabbi has been responsible for his team drafting Kane, Toews then Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and most recently Nail Yakupov.

If you want a first overall pick you trade for this guy. (why do you think tambo signed him to a 4 year deal when he was 35+)
So he should be a hot commodity with Nathan MacKinnon and Connor McDavid eligible in the next 2 drafts?

I'll give you two firsts and a second, oh wait....

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:32 PM
  #31
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 500
If the Oilers miss out on the Schultz sweepstakes, I'd consider picking up Franson for a small price.

Ryan Jones is a character forward who has scored 18 and 17 goals in the previous two seasons, respectively. He holds considerably more value to the Oilers than Cody Franson.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:37 PM
  #32
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Why not both? Stats (i.e. empirical evidence) are only numerical representations of actual occurances, they obviously have some relevance. Obviously each stat can't be weighed against all other relevant context, but it doesn't make them useless. I would argue a balanced opinion see's one derive their positions from a combination of both stats and observation.
In certain circumstance, yea... But some stats have too many variables to be measured against eachother...

The Oilers had exceptional goaltending to start the season... Give that same start to any team and they would all climb the rankings...


Stats are quite often subjective.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
  #33
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
So he should be a hot commodity with Nathan MacKinnon and Connor McDavid eligible in the next 2 drafts?

I'll give you two firsts and a second, oh wait....
A second would be fine, share the wealth and all that.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
  #34
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,661
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
We already have Whitney and Sutton to play 3rd pairing minutes. Don't see why we'd need Franson.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:47 PM
  #35
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
No thanks from the Leafs.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
  #36
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
They already did that by trading away Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk.
Didnt they draft another defenseman even though Leaf fans were positive that Galchenyuk or Grigorenko would be a Leaf?

The Oilers are looking for more scoring in their bottom 6. Jones brings that as well as a good penalty kill. I see no use for Franson at this point on the Oilers. Smid, Petry, Schultz, Whitney, Potter, Sutton, Peckham, Fedun, Tuebert, Plante, Marincin, and Davidson might not be as good but none of them are that much worse that we can afford to give up Jones

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
  #37
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoy8 View Post
Franson would be our 5/6 d-man (behind Smid,Schultz,Petry and Whitney) which we have enough of! Plus i also really like Jones so no
I don't know if Whitney can still be a top 4 D. He himself said that his ankle will probably never be the same plus he isn't getting any younger. If we don't sign J. Shultz July 1st, i'd be willing to do a deal like this. I don't want Tambo to not even try to upgrade the D because Whitney "looked" like a top #1 D for one season. Why not bring a guy like Franson in to try and crack the top 4. Better than saying our top 4 D is set, lets try and get only 3rd pairing D.

Though I do agree maybe not at the price of Jones.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 AM
  #38
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
It doesn't matter that their styles are different. The Leafs are going to ice the best defense available. Especially with Carlyle actually choosing to play with defense as apposed to Ron Wilsons no defense system.
I would agree about the defensive system between the 2 coachs, but the lost of Schenn has taken away the Leafs grit. With Phaneuf you never when he's going to show up to play, saw enough of him when he played for Calgary to know he'll not go up against players his own size or bigger. Carlyle is going to have a tough time putting together a D that is respectable

If Burke drafted Rielly, which I loved to watch play and I would say he is a bigger offensive threat then Schultz, he must think his odds are not the greatest to get Schultz. Even if the Leafs get Schultz, he'll never replace Schenn's toughness he brought to the team. Personally I think the Leafs got rob, JVR could end up to being a pretzel.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:37 AM
  #39
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
In certain circumstance, yea... But some stats have too many variables to be measured against eachother...

The Oilers had exceptional goaltending to start the season... Give that same start to any team and they would all climb the rankings...


Stats are quite often subjective.
The D the first part of the season wasn't too bad either, but once the D started dropping like flies it was all down hill. I don't think there was one game were Edmonton's best 4 D played together. With Petry maturing and getting Schultz the Oilers D is not to bad, but that all depends on Whitney. He didn't look to bad at the end of the year and seemed to improve each came he played. I wouldn't mind giving Teubert a shot, when he went down in the AHL playoff the barons were not the same team, him and Peckham would make a fearsome twosome.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  #40
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
He isn't an upgrade over Potter or Peckham?

Thats an interesting perspective.
Potter, it's a draw.

Peckham, last year yes. the year before, hell no.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.