HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Weber and Salary Arbitration

Old
06-26-2012, 05:06 PM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Weber and Salary Arbitration

Just wondering if someone could explain this to me: (I'm asking directly due to Shea Weber's situation)

Basically as I understand it a team can only take a player to arbitration once. Preds did that with Weber last year so they can't again this year right? So Weber doesn't have to sign a deal? The Preds can't make him do it, he is effectivly a free agent already so long as someone pays the offer sheet (which they can't stop happening aagin due to having taken him to arbitration already?), but what if the Preds match the sheet?

It's all so confusing

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Here's what I see happening

4 things :

A) He elects for Arbitration for a year contract
B) He takes an offersheet that would give the preds 4 1st round picks
C) He takes an offersheet that gives less than the 4 1st round picks and Nashville matches
D) He gets traded

In order, I see it going A,B,C,D in order of likelyness

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Here's what I see happening

4 things :

A) He elects for Arbitration for a year contract
B) He takes an offersheet that would give the preds 4 1st round picks
C) He takes an offersheet that gives less than the 4 1st round picks and Nashville matches
D) He gets traded

In order, I see it going A,B,C,D in order of likelyness
But (and I might be wrong) isn't the amount of compensation for accepting a sheet based on his current salary? At his $7.5m that would only be Two first-round picks and a second and third-round pick?

And also if he elects not to go to arbitration (which would stop him getting offer sheets) there is nothing Nashville could do? Their only option would be to match any offer sheet he accepts. By doing nothing they have no coice but to trade him or let him sit out a year until he's a UFA?

Last edited by JoeFlyer: 06-26-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Edit: *Their :P
Old
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
But (and I might be wrong) isn't the amount of compensation for accepting a sheet based on his current salary? At his $7.5m that would only be Two first-round picks and a second and third-round pick?

And also if he elects not to go to arbitration (which would stop him getting offer sheets) there is nothing Nashville could do? Their only option would be to match any offer sheet he accepts. By doing nothing they have no coice but to trade him or let him sit out a year until he's a UFA?
The compensation is based on the offer sheet, not his contract from the previous season. If he signed an offer she below the +$7.8 million so it didn't cost the team 4 picks. Nashville would simply match the offer. In fact even if it was higher depending on the amount they still might match it and simply trade him for something other than picks.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
The compensation is based on the offer sheet, not his contract from the previous season. If he signed an offer she below the +$7.8 million so it didn't cost the team 4 picks. Nashville would simply match the offer. In fact even if it was higher depending on the amount they still might match it and simply trade him for something other than picks.
The problem is, if the offer sheet is longer than 4 years in length, that is the max that the total dollars can be divided to determine compensation. For example, if we offer a 9 year 70 million total contract, compensation will be divided by 4 regardless of the contract length.

The key I think to getting Weber to sign an offer sheet that Nashville won't match is offering a hugely big bonus and first two years salary. Cap space isn't an issue for Nashville, but I have no idea how their other finances are, and whether they could afford a huge bonus with the threat of a lock out.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:55 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
This is why I find it interesting, it's so complex

I was wrong about the picks (you're right it is the 'new' contract the compensation is based on). However, a player that has an offer sheet matched can't be traded for a year so that again would tie the Preds hands.

But my main point (question) is that a team can only match an offer sheet when it is accepted by the player. If Weber therefore refuses to accpet any offer sheets and Nashville can't take him to arbitration doesn't it mean they basically have no say on resigning him if HE chooses? They can either trade him or leave him as an RFA for a year until he's a UFA and they loose him for nothing.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
The problem is, if the offer sheet is longer than 4 years in length, that is the max that the total dollars can be divided to determine compensation. For example, if we offer a 9 year 70 million total contract, compensation will be divided by 4 regardless of the contract length.

The key I think to getting Weber to sign an offer sheet that Nashville won't match is offering a hugely big bonus and first two years salary. Cap space isn't an issue for Nashville, but I have no idea how their other finances are, and whether they could afford a huge bonus with the threat of a lock out.
Isn't if the contract is 4 or less years, it's done by the number of years on the deal and 5 years+ is done by 5 years

Old
06-26-2012, 05:58 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post

See my above post though... They only get to match a sheet he accepts... So if he doesn't?

Old
06-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Krishna

Quote:
See my above post though... They only get to match a sheet he accepts... So if he doesn't?
If he doesn't take it, he would have to sign a deal with nashville by december 1st and not play or be traded..

I honestly think with Suter leaving, Nashville is screwed

Old
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
If he doesn't take it, he would have to sign a deal with nashville by december 1st and not play or be traded..

I honestly think with Suter leaving, Nashville is screwed
I see, so his option would be sign a deal by Dec 1st or not play that season?

Old
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I see, so his option would be sign a deal by Dec 1st or not play that season?
Yep, I believe that's the date

SIGNING DEADLINE
What is the latest date players can sign contracts?

Under the expired CBA, there was no signing deadline applicable to player contracts. Under the new CBA, Restricted Free Agents who do not sign contracts by December 1 of a given year will be ineligible to play in the League for the balance of that season.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Yep, I believe that's the date

SIGNING DEADLINE
What is the latest date players can sign contracts?

Under the expired CBA, there was no signing deadline applicable to player contracts. Under the new CBA, Restricted Free Agents who do not sign contracts by December 1 of a given year will be ineligible to play in the League for the balance of that season.
In which case I agree with you, Nashville are screwed... I'd be surprised if he is still there come opening day (if he is I think he'll be there for the long term).

Old
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Krishna

Quote:
In which case I agree with you, Nashville are screwed... I'd be surprised if he is still there come opening day (if he is I think he'll be there for the long term).
I think if Suter walks, they are screwed anyways