HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bold Statement by Calgary GM on Jankowski

Old
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
PumpkinBomb

vCash: 500
I'm an Oiler fan, so I'll get that out of the way.

But I think Jankowski went close to where he was ranked, and as Bob Mckenzie always says 20-40 is usually a crap shoot.

Furthermore, I commented when Oiler fans were criticizing our 32nd pick Moroz: I don't see what makes Moroz much less of a player than Wilson, who washing took in the middle of the 1st.

Looking at players like Turris and Coburne who were drafted out of lesser leagues, it's probably fair to say Jankowski won't live up to his draft rankings, but looking at the forwards who were taken in the first few rounds, I bet in 5 years maybe all but Yakupov and Galenchuk (spelling?) bust. (Or rather there won't be another first line forward save for these two).
Jankowski has as good a shot as any other forward in my opinion.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
Claiming Comeu

On TDL instead of looking for a shakeup the team desperately needed, all that was done was resign jackman?

2 things I noticed
How is claiming Comeau a bad move?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
4EDM14OIL93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
That trade did EXACTLY what EVERYONE on HF said the Flames should do. Get younger. Break up the core. Drop salary.

That's what it did. And it's still not good enough.

There's seriously no winning on this forum when you're a Flames fan.

Getting younger does not equal getting better when all you get out if it is Chris Butler and Paul Byron..

4EDM14OIL93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
That trade did EXACTLY what EVERYONE on HF said the Flames should do. Get younger. Break up the core. Drop salary.

That's what it did. And it's still not good enough.

There's seriously no winning on this forum when you're a Flames fan.
Should have aimed for picks + young prospects with high upside. Instead you got a meh 22 NHL ready prospect in Paul Byron and a meh 25 year old roster player in Chris Butler.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Feel The Heat

Wow the lack of hockey knowledge on this board is embarrising.

All you posters who think you know anything really know nothing.

Who cares what comes out of the mouth of a GM.
Nobody on this board knows anything about Jankowski or how good or bad he will be.
The Flame bashing is unreal. Is there that much Penis envy on this board.

Last edited by Feel The Heat: 06-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
I'm an Oiler fan, so I'll get that out of the way.

But I think Jankowski went close to where he was ranked, and as Bob Mckenzie always says 20-40 is usually a crap shoot.

Furthermore, I commented when Oiler fans were criticizing our 32nd pick Moroz: I don't see what makes Moroz much less of a player than Wilson, who washing took in the middle of the 1st.

Looking at players like Turris and Coburne who were drafted out of lesser leagues, it's probably fair to say Jankowski won't live up to his draft rankings, but looking at the forwards who were taken in the first few rounds, I bet in 5 years maybe all but Yakupov and Galenchuk (spelling?) bust. (Or rather there won't be another first line forward save for these two).
Jankowski has as good a shot as any other forward in my opinion.
I agree that it is a crapshoot 20-40. However, the Flames traded down. I'm a Flames fan, and I have to admit this was a huge risk. Basically, a high risk high reward type of deal. At 14 the Flames had a pretty reasonable shot at acquiring a second liner or second #3-4 defenceman. This move is a huge gamble though. Taking a guy this young is a pretty wild pick. That being said, the Flames were no the only ones showing interest. The scouts must see something there.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
nhlfan9191

Why would the Flames of all teams take a big gamble like this. They've been famous for drafting terrible.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Why would the Flames of all teams take a big gamble like this. They've been famous for drafting terrible.
The Flames under Sutter were bad at drafting because they always went with the safe picks.

Players like Kris Chucko, Greg Nemisz... they are big, western Canadian boys that Darryl was famous for drafting. Their upsides were 3rd line at best. Near the end of Darryl's tenure, however, he began drafting more skilled, less safe players like Backlund and Erixon.

It wasn't until Feaster came that they went all out for high-upside picks, as we saw last draft with the Baertschi and Gaudreau picks.

I'd rather do this than draft another Chucko or Nemisz clone.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:08 PM
jessebelanger

Hopefully Jankowski turns out to be a player. Seemed like a nice kid and would be great to see a guy drafted out of canadian high school be successful. I think that's rare?

It does seem strange for Calgary to make that pick given their current situation - I guess they really believe in him.

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I agree that it is a crapshoot 20-40. However, the Flames traded down. I'm a Flames fan, and I have to admit this was a huge risk. Basically, a high risk high reward type of deal. At 14 the Flames had a pretty reasonable shot at acquiring a second liner or second #3-4 defenceman. This move is a huge gamble though. Taking a guy this young is a pretty wild pick. That being said, the Flames were no the only ones showing interest. The scouts must see something there.
Patrick Sieloff seems to be a fairly safe bet to play in the NHL at some point down the road. Why it seemingly goes ignored that he should be added to the equation is beyond me.

Yes, we gambled on an raw youngster out of prep school with an incredibly high upside, but we also took a fairly safe player with the pick we acquired when trading down. Only time will tell, but Calgary was certainly thrilled with the way things played out, having left with two players they had ranked within their top 20.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Noori

vCash: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
It does seem strange for Calgary to make that pick given their current situation - I guess they really believe in him.
Not really. The pick makes perfect sense for Calgary. Calgary has been unable to draft/trade/sign a premier center in forever. Jankowski was the only player left (and one of the few in the draft) that has the potential to be a number one center.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

The Flames have been one of the worst run franchises for a while now.

What a shame...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EDM14OIL91 View Post

Getting younger does not equal getting better when all you get out if it is Chris Butler and Paul Byron..
Finished in the exact same spot while getting much younger and Regehr had a NTC we had to trade him where he wanted to go.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Completely new scouting department that has a philosophy of drafting high skill players.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Should have aimed for picks + young prospects with high upside. Instead you got a meh 22 NHL ready prospect in Paul Byron and a meh 25 year old roster player in Chris Butler.
He handled top 2 minutes half decently and is a number 4 defenseman he is much more than meh.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Not really. The pick makes perfect sense for Calgary. Calgary has been unable to draft/trade/sign a premier center in forever. Jankowski was the only player left (and one of the few in the draft) that has the potential to be a number one center.
Perfect sense? When? 3-4 years down the road?

If they truly drafted by need rather than BPA, despite knowing this kid would be a project, despite knowing how long it's going to take, it just screams, well, incompetence.

Same damn thing happened to the Oilers when they drafted Pouliot instead of Parise and it very well could end up the same too.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yeah, I do.

Give me some, since you're making the claim.
Not trade Kipper and Iginla is one.

I suppose every single poster on HFBoards that thinks the 2 should be traded is wrong and all the Flames fans are right?

When almost every single member on a forum says the same thing it may usually be correct.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Oh, and he is about to re-sign Comeau.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Perfect sense? When? 3-4 years down the road?

If they truly drafted by need rather than BPA, despite knowing this kid would be a project, despite knowing how long it's going to take, it just screams, well, incompetence.

Same damn thing happened to the Oilers when they drafted Pouliot instead of Parise and it very well could end up the same too.
They drafted BPA as they believe he could be the best player.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Not trade Kipper and Iginla is one.

I suppose every single poster on HFBoards that thinks the 2 should be traded is wrong and all the Flames fans are right?

When almost every single member on a forum says the same thing it may usually be correct.
This is, in every way, the most idiotic post this forum has ever seen.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
blankall

Quote:
Personally, I think Feaster is a little drunk on how well all of his gambles from last year paid off. He took several major gambles in 2011, and they've all paid off so far. He was thinking, I've done it with Baertschi, why not this guy.

And no, this in no way resembles previous draft picks. As others have mentioned, this is a big departure from the Sutter draft a big guy with low offensive upside. Too be fair to Sutter, it was the deadpuck era when many of those players were drafted, and he did change his tune quite a bit the last two drafts he had in Calgary.

And while Sieloff may be a safe pick for his drafting order, the safer pick would have been to choose a player like Ceci 14th overall.

I will admit that I have to give Feaster some benefit of the doubt here after last year. He was picking midgets with huge upside, and every pick from last year would be higher if you reranked. So he obviously knows something the rest of us don't.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Personally, I think Feaster is a little drunk on how well all of his gambles from last year paid off. He took several major gambles in 2011, and they've all paid off so far. He was thinking, I've done it with Baertschi, why not this guy.

And no, this in no way resembles previous draft picks. As others have mentioned, this is a big departure from the Sutter draft a big guy with low offensive upside. Too be fair to Sutter, it was the deadpuck era when many of those players were drafted, and he did change his tune quite a bit the last two drafts he had in Calgary.

And while Sieloff may be a safe pick for his drafting order, the safer pick would have been to choose a player like Ceci 14th overall.
No he was thinking my scouts did great last year why would I not trust them this year.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Oh, and he is about to re-sign Comeau.
Comeau may have been awful last season at $2.5M, but if he comes back for under $1M for 1 year to play a bottom 6 role, that's fine. He's the only forward the team has that averages 2 hits a game.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
They drafted BPA as they believe he could be the best player.
This just sounds like a cult-ish response. If you really cannot be objective about your team for even a second to realize that this guy will more than likely never crack the line up, has a very high risk of being a bust due to the amount of competition he still has to graduate from, and that maybe your team did draft by need, I feel bad for you bro.

Just because it's your favorite team doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This just sounds like a cult-ish response. If you really cannot be objective about your team for even a second to realize that this guy will more than likely never crack the line up, has a very high risk of being a bust due to the amount of competition he still has to graduate from, and that maybe your team did draft by need, I feel bad for you bro.

Just because it's your favorite team doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.
"More than likely never crack the line up"? Says who? You?

Obviously the scouts saw something in this kid. You've never even seen him play.

It was mentioned by many teams and scouts afterward that it was no surprise to see Jankowski go that high.

Get off your high horse. You don't know better than everyone else.