HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Methot to Ottawa

Old
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Methot to Ottawa

Just wondering, what do you think it would take?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Do not want. Money is better spent elsewhere.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:25 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

3rd.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Just wondering, what do you think it would take?
We're kind of looking to package him for a winger. I'm uncertain what that means in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
3rd.
...criminy, hon, do you like any of our defensemen?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
SpezDispenser

I wouldn't want to pay much more than a 3rd, but I think I would do that.

He's a lefty though, right?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:07 PM
SIDGENO8771

How about Martin straight up?

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Does a Pens fan have to come into every thread offering Martin? lol

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
The fundamental idea at work here is that we have extra defensemen and are looking to get more forwards, not that we're trying to change the mix of defensemen... or take on even more salary, for that matter.

Martin would have been useful to us around this time last year. Not so much now.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
How would that possibly help Columbus or be of interest to them?

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Cogburn

We have a mostly used Raymond we can offer straight up. He's RFA for what ever that's worth.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Do not want. Money is better spent elsewhere.
Once again, you're completely wrong.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:28 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Once again, you're completely wrong.
OK, I remember from other threads that you're against signing Garrison for $5M.

Methot is a 3rd pairing defenseman on the worst team in the league. At the moment without any other additions, he would be 3rd pairing on the Sens.

Now the Sens are on a budget, so they can't spend money on just anybody. Garrison was a 1st pairing defenseman on a playoff team, and would be 1st pair on the Sens barring major improvement from Cowen.

Tell me, why (why) you want to spend $3M on Methot, but not $5M on Garrison? Garrison is certainly worth $2M more than Methot, even if $5M is overpayment. If we're gonna overpay and spend big money, it should be on good players, not mediocre players.

This isn't even considering Methot would have to be traded for and would require giving up an asset.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Spending $3M on Methot is essentially wasting $2M. Just sign a 3rd pairing guy (or play Mark Borowiecki who is just as good as Methot) for $1M. Use that extra $2M and put it towards an impact player, the kind of player you should overpay for.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
OK, I remember from other threads that you're against signing Garrison for $5M.

Methot is a 3rd pairing defenseman on the worst team in the league. At the moment without any other additions, he would be 3rd pairing on the Sens.

Now the Sens are on a budget, so they can't spend money on just anybody. Garrison was a 1st pairing defenseman on a playoff team, and would be 1st pair on the Sens barring major improvement from Cowen.

Tell me, why (why) you want to spend $3M on Methot, but not $5M on Garrison? Garrison is certainly worth $2M more than Methot, even if $5M is overpayment. If we're gonna overpay and spend big money, it should be on good players, not mediocre players.

This isn't even considering Methot would have to be traded for and would require giving up an asset.
Because Columbus is shedding money and this is being done if we don't get Garrison.

Which, by the way, we won't be!!!

Old
06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Because Columbus is shedding money and this is being done if we don't get Garrison.

Which, by the way, we won't be!!!
Source?

I'd rather pay Garrison 6 than Methot 3. Garrison at 6 would come to Ottawa. No doubt. Overpayment yes, but if you overpay, it should be for top players.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
number72

Send them caveman D'Acosta

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Source?

I'd rather pay Garrison 6 than Methot 3. Garrison at 6 would come to Ottawa. No doubt. Overpayment yes, but if you overpay, it should be for top players.
This logic is so flawed I'm not even going to waste any time writing a chapter book response to your constantly flawed arguments. I'm watching Kershaw pitch and so I'll wait.

Garrison is a #3 defenceman at best. How much did you watch Methot? Be honest. As you know I saw him 8 times and I think he could be a quality #4 guy and a #5 guy if not. As a LD, he'd be a good replacement for Kuba. I think he's a lot better than the stats show.

Also, give me a source that Garrison IS coming to Ottawa.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Send them caveman D'Acosta
I know I just mentioned why I like Methot, but I wouldn't even do that.

This comment is being edited on February 5th because it is bad.

Last edited by Marvelous Manked: 02-05-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
This logic is so flawed I'm not even going to waste any time writing a chapter book response to your constantly flawed arguments. I'm watching Kershaw pitch and so I'll wait.

Garrison is a #3 defenceman at best. How much did you watch Methot? Be honest. As you know I saw him 8 times and I think he could be a quality #4 guy and a #5 guy if not. As a LD, he'd be a good replacement for Kuba. I think he's a lot better than the stats show.

Also, give me a source that Garrison IS coming to Ottawa.
Never said Garrison is coming to Ottawa. Said if he was offered 6, he would.

There's no way Garrison is a #3 and Methot a #4, the difference between the players is just too big. If anyone is a good replacement for Kuba it's Garrison.

Methot is so ordinary. A good 3rd pairing defenseman on a good team. Last year he was 3rd pair on a terrible team. There's a reason why CBJ fans would let him go for almost nothing.

The only reason you want him is because he's an Ottawa native, otherwise you don't even make this thread. Use your head, not your heart.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Never said Garrison is coming to Ottawa. Said if he was offered 6, he would.

There's no way Garrison is a #3 and Methot a #4, the difference between the players is just too big. If anyone is a good replacement for Kuba it's Garrison.

Methot is so ordinary. A good 3rd pairing defenseman on a good team. Last year he was 3rd pair on a terrible team. There's a reason why CBJ fans would let him go for almost nothing.

The only reason you want him is because he's an Ottawa native, otherwise you don't even make this thread. Use your head, not your heart.
Honestly, I have no interest in him being an Ottawa native. NONE.

I want him because he can be had for cheap, is a good 4/5 defenceman, and his contract expires right when the majority of our young players will be still RFA's on cheap contracts.

Also, I really think the only hockey you ever watch is the Sens and then for everyone else you just look up stats. Garrison is not a 5 million dollar defenceman but I would probably pay that for him short term just to have him on our team. Unfortunately, I still don't think he will come to Ottawa. That's just my opinion. I think he's going to Vancouver. I hope I'm wrong.

Methot is an upgrade over Carkner any day, and being a LD is great for our team!! Awesome!

Old
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Honestly, I have no interest in him being an Ottawa native. NONE.

I want him because he can be had for cheap, is a good 4/5 defenceman, and his contract expires right when the majority of our young players will be still RFA's on cheap contracts.

Also, I really think the only hockey you ever watch is the Sens and then for everyone else you just look up stats. Garrison is not a 5 million dollar defenceman but I would probably pay that for him short term just to have him on our team. Unfortunately, I still don't think he will come to Ottawa. That's just my opinion. I think he's going to Vancouver. I hope I'm wrong.

Methot is an upgrade over Carkner any day, and being a LD is great for our team!! Awesome!
Sure Methot is an upgrade over Carkner. But there's no way he's a #4. No way. I'd wager you can get a better defenseman in free agency for $3M. Why give up an asset.

Also, Borowiecki. Similar to Methot. Methot is not enough of an upgrade to justify this move as a budget team. Like I said, better ways to spend money.

One of Boro or Wier will (should) be in the NHL next year. They play the left.

Also, you're saying if he was from Kenosha Wisconsin, you would have interest in him?

Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Sure Methot is an upgrade over Carkner. But there's no way he's a #4. No way. I'd wager you can get a better defenseman in free agency for $3M. Why give up an asset.

Also, Borowiecki. Similar to Methot. Methot is not enough of an upgrade to justify this move as a budget team. Like I said, better ways to spend money.

One of Boro or Wier will (should) be in the NHL next year. They play the left.

Also, you're saying if he was from Kenosha Wisconsin, you would have interest in him?
This right here confirms to me that you didn't watch enough Blue Jackets hockey this year.

Thanks.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
This right here confirms to me that you didn't watch enough Blue Jackets hockey this year.

Thanks.
But really, who could stand watching more than 1 or 2 games? Other than that, I saw him in the WC. Not impressed.

If he was capable of being a #4/5 on good team, he would have had more minutes this year on a crappy CBJ team.

Again, CBJ wants to dump him cause he is expendable (3rd pairing) and overpaid. If he was 2nd pairing, they'd want to keep him.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
DG

Quote:
Source?

Please no.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Methot is a 3rd pairing defenseman on the worst team in the league.
This is where your logical train derailed. He's second-pairing. He played second-pairing minutes throughout much of the season last year. (And during some games, he played first-pairing minutes, but that had more to do with the number of blueline injuries we had.)

He's not presently listed as such because we had two pairings that showed remarkable chemistry: JMFJ-Wisniewski, and Tyutin-Nikitin. As such, he ends up being a bit crowded out.

Ordinarily, we'd keep him as quality depth. However, we also have Moore, Savard, and Murray all looking to be strong contenders for ice time this year. And suddenly it makes a lot of sense to try to bolster our ragtag forward corps with a trade.

Quote:
I should have specified in my original post, but I'd also give up a 3rd round pick AT MOST and at this point I wouldn't trade Da Costa for a 3rd round pick.
I think we may have trouble getting a deal done, then, because we'd want more than a 3rd or equivalent back.

Quote:

Every single one of these sentences is inaccurate. Every single one.