HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers don’t expect to re-sign Prust (Signs with Habs 4yrs $10m)

Old
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LundqvistFTW View Post
I'm a reasonable guy, if I'm a player and I'm a 4th liner who scores 20 points a year who is a fan favorite, I would know I wouldn't be worth more than what Sather is offering, but that's me, I'm sure Prust has different ideas. Sure I would want a lot of money to support a family but making about 5 million over 3 years is more then enough to support a family and himself. If Prust really wanted to play in NY he would accept the deal, which some even say the 1.8 deal is still overpaying. Dude needs to wake up and realize he is just a 4th line player.
All we know came out of Sather mouth (via Larry Brooks). We have no idea what actually has been offered.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:52 PM
eco's bones

Barnaby had some crap years though--the couple seasons leading up to his Rangers years were real bad--the Rangers kind of gave him a new lease on his hockey life. Skating, passing/creativity, scoring Barnaby has the edge on Prust though keeping in mind Barnaby got better opportunities because the Rangers teams he played on were not very good. Prust has the edge defensively, and is/was more of a factor physically--Barnaby was not as good a grinder and didn't body check as much and Prust penalty kills--Barnaby did not. Both of them would fight over their weight class--both were really good against players relatively their own size--both were capable of beating bigger players but not real heavyweights. Barnaby was also a good agitator--not quite Avery-esque but much closer to Sean than Prust will ever be.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
it's a business. it's called negotiating. assumingly (and we don't know **** about what the exact offers were--our knowledge is all rumors. way to bite). sather allegedly offered him 1.8 he countered with 2.2. if you think you wouldn't do the same you're bsing yourself. neither party handled this well.

also keep in mind it was 5 goals with a torn tendon in his hand since january. he's not a goal scorer. he's a 4th liner. 1.8 is overpaying, but come on. you make it sound like he did something wrong. he was just holding out for a better deal. clearly the management didn't connect with the talent. he's more than likely gone even if he comes down in price. it didn't seem like a very cordial transaction. sather running his mouth to the media and prust's twitter response.
how did Sather not handle this well? what else can you blame on Sather? Prust is 4th liner who scored 5g. if an offer was made of 1.8 then that is a fair and reasonable pay raise, esp. for his limited services.

Just because he's a UFA and can ask top dollar doesn't mean he should stick it to his employer?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
egelband

prust's not an agitator at all. he's tough and does a good deal of policing. but he doesn't go after other teams skill players and try to goad them into penalties or really start anything at all. he is a very straight-up player. which i like. barnaby and avery were more in the let's-get-something-going antagonist mold.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:43 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
how did Sather not handle this well? what else can you blame on Sather? Prust is 4th liner who scored 5g. if an offer was made of 1.8 then that is a fair and reasonable pay raise, esp. for his limited services.

Just because he's a UFA and can ask top dollar doesn't mean he should stick it to his employer?
i guess you could say that the rangers are no longer even his employer at this point... but i know what you mean.
the rangers are offering him a fourth line role at a good fourth line salary. he wants a third line role and salary. that's the difference. can't really say who's 'right', i guess, since we don't really have a season's worth of prust third line work to examine. i'm with sather though, i don't see prust having nearly enough offensive skill for the third line.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
prust's not an agitator at all. he's tough and does a good deal of policing. but he doesn't go after other teams skill players and try to goad them into penalties or really start anything at all. he is a very straight-up player. which i like. barnaby and avery were more in the let's-get-something-going antagonist mold.

He tried to be an agitator in the playoffs, but only ended up going to the penalty box instead.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
NYRKING30

I could see him going to San Jose.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i guess you could say that the rangers are no longer even his employer at this point... but i know what you mean.
the rangers are offering him a fourth line role at a good fourth line salary. he wants a third line role and salary. that's the difference. can't really say who's 'right', i guess, since we don't really have a season's worth of prust third line work to examine. i'm with sather though, i don't see prust having nearly enough offensive skill for the third line.
he also made a statement about money not being the most important thing, and that being in a good situation is equally important.
The statement he made about management not wanting him back isn't true. he was wanted, and offered more $, when he had an off year! Sorry, but this is all on Prust. i understand he wants his pay day, but just keep you mouth shut then.

take your 5g and your stubs for hands and get out.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
I could see him going to San Jose.
Someone there would think he's soft.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Someone there would think he's soft.
Oh yeah can't forget about Magnificent Joe.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:23 PM
XLJ

I think Sather leaking the contract information to Brooks is what caused Prust to tweet that.

I'm hoping Sather doesn't waste the 1.7-1.8 million he offered Prust on another 4th liner. Just promote someone from Hartford.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:29 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

As long as he doesn't sign with someone like Philly I'm okay with losing Prust. Especially for the amount of money he wants.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Badko

Wow!! I can't believe some of the attitudes about Prust. Maybe just my opinion, but I'd take him over Rupp any day. In fact, I believe Rupp was brought in to partially keep Prust from having to take on all the heavyweights, which he gladly did any way for his team mates. And Prust brings so much more to the table than Rupp. Rupp's contract equates to $1.5MM per. And he was given that contract before he did squat for the Rangers. Prust has given two solid years of work to the Rangers and was paid a total of $1.6MM or $800M per. Assuming he's at least the equivalent of Rupp, another fourth liner, then what's wrong with Brandon thinking he deserves $1.5MM for the two years he already proved himself plus $1.5M for each of the next three years or a total or $7.5MM for his 5 years. That would mean he should earn $5.9 MM or almost $2MM for each of the next 3 years. Bump it by $200M per for negotiating as pointed out by a number of posters and his demands don't seem so outrageous.

I can understand people not wanting to pay, but how any true Ranger fan can have a cold attitude towards a guy who gave 100% every shift befuddles me. Seems to me a number of posters on this board just don't appreciate what they have and are prone to coveting other solutions just for the sake of change.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I think Sather leaking the contract information to Brooks is what caused Prust to tweet that.

I'm hoping Sather doesn't waste the 1.7-1.8 million he offered Prust on another 4th liner. Just promote someone from Hartford.
We don't have anyone in Connecticut worthy of that promotion (filling the role of a utility player and middleweight enforcer). We traded Dale Weise last year. Even if Deveaux and Newbury were under contract, they aren't NHL players.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

1.8 million was already overpayment for Prust, 2.2 was ridiculous.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
Wow!! I can't believe some of the attitudes about Prust. Maybe just my opinion, but I'd take him over Rupp any day. In fact, I believe Rupp was brought in to partially keep Prust from having to take on all the heavyweights, which he gladly did any way for his team mates. And Prust brings so much more to the table than Rupp. Rupp's contract equates to $1.5MM per. And he was given that contract before he did squat for the Rangers. Prust has given two solid years of work to the Rangers and was paid a total of $1.6MM or $800M per. Assuming he's at least the equivalent of Rupp, another fourth liner, then what's wrong with Brandon thinking he deserves $1.5MM for the two years he already proved himself plus $1.5M for each of the next three years or a total or $7.5MM for his 5 years. That would mean he should earn $5.9 MM or almost $2MM for each of the next 3 years. Bump it by $200M per for negotiating as pointed out by a number of posters and his demands don't seem so outrageous.

I can understand people not wanting to pay, but how any true Ranger fan can have a cold attitude towards a guy who gave 100% every shift befuddles me. Seems to me a number of posters on this board just don't appreciate what they have and are prone to coveting other solutions just for the sake of change.

Rangers offered Prust 1.8 mil and he turned it down, it's all on Prust.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Have a feeling Prust is gonna end up in Montreal. I'm gonna hate hearing about how awesome he is all the time over here, and I know I will.

His gf's a minor TV celeb here so I'm sure the thought's being entertained. Some fan tweeted her to request she talk to him about it too =/

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Rangerboy030

Zenon Konopka.

That is all.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

while you're still in negotiations with a player you don't go to the media telling them that you have no problem letting him go. it's a sales tactic that not only would try forcing prust's hand, but would drop his value significantly to the rest of the league

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Lone Ranger

Prust never sleeps...

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Badko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Rangers offered Prust 1.8 mil and he turned it down, it's all on Prust.
I understand. If that's what really transpired, then I accept it and I don't hold it against him. What I don't understand is the cold shoulder he's getting from some of the posters. Brandon Prust gave us 100% every night, every shift.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jun 27, 2012 10:46a

Don't be surproised if both Brandon Prust and Shane Doan become Maple Leafs after July One.They have been targeted since mid April&fit plan.

sent via Twitter for iPad
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RealBillWatters/s...92397391536129

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:53 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Jun 27, 2012 10:46a

Don't be surproised if both Brandon Prust and Shane Doan become Maple Leafs after July One.They have been targeted since mid April&fit plan.

sent via Twitter for iPad
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RealBillWatters/s...92397391536129
Good pick ups for the Leafs. I always want them to do well. It's great for Hockey. Not against us of course.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
NYR Viper

Where are the Leafs going to play Doan?

JVR
Lupul
Kessel
Grabovski
Kulemin
Macarthur
Bozak
Kadri?
Colborne?
Doan?

I know its good to have depth but they need a #1 center, not another winger.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
‪#Flames‬ boss Jay Feaster says his team needs third- and fourth-line sandpaper. Konopka? Tootoo? Prust?
https://twitter.com/CruickshankCH/st...66844857647105

The bars close at 2 in Calgary. Prust already played in Calgary.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote