HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mendes: Sundin should wait for hall of fame.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  #76
cynicism
Registered User
 
cynicism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Pavel ****ing bure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  #77
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
I think the fact that Sundin is the leading scorer of the franchise speaks to how badly the Leafs were handled in the 70's and 80's, and not to how great Sundin was. When 6 (almost 7) of your top 10 scorers all time were part of the 60's Leafs, (compared to the scorers of the Canadians, Bruins, Hawks and Wings), there's an issue.

He was given some pretty good players from the late 90's-2004. So he doesn't exactly get a pass from that.
The only really skilled guy that comes to mind who was on his wing was Mogilny and he wasn't around for long. When you look at the list of players over his time here who was on his wing, it's pretty easy to see why he didn't put up more points and didn't have more seasons like his one in QC. I mean, Jonas Hoglund was his winger for a while and there were plenty of one's like him who Sundin played with. Now, the Leafs did have some really good teams pre-lockout, teams that probably should have made it to the finals but still, IIRC he still didn't have great wingers. I'd have to double check to be honest. I always remember him being the lone ranger on his line.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
  #78
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,555
vCash: 500
I'm not all that impressed with the linked article even if I somewhat agree with the overall argument. His points are all over the place; on one hand he's arguing in favor of guys like Ciccarelli (bad induction) and Andreychuk (would be an even worse one) on the basis of having scored 600 goals, and pointing out that guys like Neely and Lafontaine didn't reach certain arbitrary statistical barriers. But then the main thesis of the article is that Mats Sundin doesn't belong, and one of the strongest aspects of his case is impressive career statistics. It seems like he started with an idea ("Bure should be in before Sundin") and then just filled in the article with some rambling material.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #79
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'm not all that impressed with the linked article even if I somewhat agree with the overall argument. His points are all over the place; on one hand he's arguing in favor of guys like Ciccarelli (bad induction) and Andreychuk (would be an even worse one) on the basis of having scored 600 goals, and pointing out that guys like Neely and Lafontaine didn't reach certain arbitrary statistical barriers. But then the main thesis of the article is that Mats Sundin doesn't belong, and one of the strongest aspects of his case is impressive career statistics. It seems like he started with an idea ("Bure should be in before Sundin") and then just filled in the article with some rambling material.
Welcome to Sports Journalism in the year 2012. Random thoughts to illustrate a poorly-conceived idea...

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
  #80
conway902
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Bure and Sundin are the same age.
Bure played 12 seasons and was a able to pass Sundin's point totals in just 4 of the 12 seasons.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
  #81
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,128
vCash: 50
Bure is my favourite player of all time.

Sakic/Shanny/Oates/Lindros

Bure sits one more year

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
  #82
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 50
Mendes when Alfredsson retires:

"Alfredsson should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer."

Consider the source.
Sundin will get in...eventually. He has the numbers to get in, he has the respect of the media and I'd think that even opposing fans can agree that he was the Leafs engine when he was there.

He probably doesn't get in ahead of Sakic though...

Edit: Did Mendes really argue against Pat LaFontaine?
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Didn't 16 have a 1.44 PPG average when he retired, 7 40-goal seasons and the heart and soul of the Sabres franchise?

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
  #83
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,450
vCash: 500
Sundin is a borderline case who will make the Hall of Fame because of a very good career in the league's biggest fan base.

Others who have been waiting and are more deserving (imo): Oates, Bure, Makarov, Lindros just off the top of my head.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:28 AM
  #84
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's a joke Oates isn't in. He needs to get in this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
Sundin didn't win any Cups either....
Oates never won a thing in his life. If the criteria is points, which is all Oates has, then Sundin, Andreychuk, Bure and a host of others should be auto-includes.
If you need a Cup victory to get in AND a vital part of that Cup run then say bye to Alfredsson (he was vital but didn't win), Sundin (never reached finals), Bure (vital part but didn't win), Oates (finals but no win). etc. etc.

It's a Hall of Fame, if the first criteria is a player's recognition factor then Sundin, ALfie, Bure, etc. are all locks. If you include point production and contribution to team history/significance, same players are all in.

The cat is out of the bag and has been for a while with this Hall of Fame. If you get enough points, are consistent and aren't a complte ********* off the ice you'll get in. If you ARE a ********* and have enough points you'll get in...eventually.
The HHOF requirements are laughably substandard. If they tightened them up in the least (Must be a Cup winner and integral part of Cup run OR a multiple MVP OR an MVP and tops of your position in points, etc. etc) we wouldn't be having this conversation. But then...I'm of the thought Hall of Fame should be for the absolute elite at a position, and if you're not in the NHL you should display dominance over an extremetly long span (Makarov for example).

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
  #85
the edler
Inimitable
 
the edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
Bure and Sundin are the same age.
Bure played 12 seasons and was a able to pass Sundin's point totals in just 4 of the 12 seasons.
did you notice he only played 5 full seasons?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  #86
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,063
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I think 5 of the 6 are in the HHOF.

Sundin is the best of any player since Gretzky retired.
A couple of Finns named Selanne and Koivu coule easily be looked at as best representatives of their country in international play.

Selanne
WEC 10 6 5 11
W-Cup 10 4 5 9
WC 33 19 18 37
Olympic 31 20 17 37 1 Silver 2 Bronze
CAN-Cup 6 1 1 2
Total 90 50 46 96


Koivu
W-Cup 10 4 4 8
WC 50 17 39 56
Olympic 28 9 21 30 1 Silver 3 Bronze
Nat-Tm 25 6 15 21
Total 113 36 79 115


Don't get me wrong Sundin has been important to Sweden but these two have been as important and as good as him.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
  #87
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
I love Sundin, but he shouldn't be in the HHOF

The only time he cracked 100 points was when his 114 points didn't even register for top 10 in the league.
Outside of a few blips early in the 90's, he was a perenial 70 point player, no first team all-stars, no individual awards, no playoff success, a gold medal on a great Sweden team, and a billion World Championship medals (which in my opinion equates to nothing when considering the talent playing in the playoffs, or staying home). I can't think of many HOF'ers who's resumes are as thin.

He was a consistent, good player. He was always good for 30 goals, maybe even 40, but if he didn't play for the Leafs, I don't think he'd get a sniff at the hall.
Which players who aren't in the HHoF have comparable careers to Sundin's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The only really skilled guy that comes to mind who was on his wing was Mogilny and he wasn't around for long. When you look at the list of players over his time here who was on his wing, it's pretty easy to see why he didn't put up more points and didn't have more seasons like his one in QC. I mean, Jonas Hoglund was his winger for a while and there were plenty of one's like him who Sundin played with. Now, the Leafs did have some really good teams pre-lockout, teams that probably should have made it to the finals but still, IIRC he still didn't have great wingers. I'd have to double check to be honest. I always remember him being the lone ranger on his line.
He had many seasons like his season in Quebec. Scoring declined in the NHL.

These are Sundin's best seasons (# is overall points rank):

4, 7, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 20, 23, 25

Guess which one was that 114 point season in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Welcome to Sports Journalism in the year 2012. Random thoughts to illustrate a poorly-conceived idea...
I thought that was all 21st century journalism.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
  #88
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Not that I believe Alfredsson shouldn't be in (he should), but he has nearly 300 less career points than Sundin, that's not insignificant.
It can be tough to use numbers when you look at this:

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_GoalsPerGame.php

One guy was around during the early 90s when the goals per game values were almost 2 more goals per game higher (or almost 40%) than in the dead-puck era, when Alfredsson showed up.

It'll be interesting to see how the voters try to accommodate the reduction in scoring that happened for the prime of many a player's career.

Personally, I think they both should be in.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
  #89
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Sundin making the HoF without a Cup appearance is like Karlsson winning a Norris without playing on the PK.

I likes it!

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
  #90
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,326
vCash: 500
Lol Mendes is a joke.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
  #91
Kekumba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I'm not sure why you guys are hating on Mendes. His case was for Bure to get in before Sundin (I'm guessing because he assumed Shanny was getting in). Mendes was living in Vancouver in the early 90's, hence the Bure love. But, they both got in...so no big deal and Mendes is still happy and respects Sundin. It has nothing do to with Ottawa vs Toronto. It's all Mendes loving Bure growing up, seeing the Sundin hype for the HOF in recent weeks, and stating his case.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
  #92
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Sundin absolutely destroys Bure in career stats and international accomplishments. 15 seasons with 70+ points for Sundin, 5 for Bure. Sundin was a leader, a captain of the most popular franchise in the league for ages, Bure was a lockerroom cancer. Sundin has the most career goals/assists/points by any Swedish player ever, and hold franchise records for the Leafs for the most career goals and points. Really all Bure has over Sundin is the two Richards.

Edit: both in, as it turns out. Sakic is a no brainer, Sundin too. Interesting that Oates and Bure made it in over Shanny, but they were all fairly close candidates, I'm guessing the fact that Oates and Bure had to wait already tipped the scales.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
  #93
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,779
vCash: 500
Ian Mendes can shove it.

Go hide in the 613.

Sundin is one of the best ever.

Ever.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
  #94
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
A couple of Finns named Selanne and Koivu coule easily be looked at as best representatives of their country in international play.

Selanne
WEC 10 6 5 11
W-Cup 10 4 5 9
WC 33 19 18 37
Olympic 31 20 17 37 1 Silver 2 Bronze
CAN-Cup 6 1 1 2
Total 90 50 46 96

Koivu
W-Cup 10 4 4 8
WC 50 17 39 56
Olympic 28 9 21 30 1 Silver 3 Bronze
Nat-Tm 25 6 15 21
Total 113 36 79 115

Don't get me wrong Sundin has been important to Sweden but these two have been as important and as good as him.
Teemu Selanne is a hall of famer.

Saku Koivu is not, due to his lack of success at the NHL level.

Mats Sundin was the better international player than either.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:27 PM
  #95
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Can't wait til Ian Mendes is inducted into his hall of fame of.....oh ****, I forgot, **** YOU IAN, only Mendes I'm down with is Eva

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM
  #96
bionic
Registered User
 
bionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: markham
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
I bet big head Mendes thinks Alfie should be in the hall of fame first shot. Mendes has such a hate on for everything Leafs its actually kind of funny.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
  #97
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic View Post
I bet big head Mendes thinks Alfie should be in the hall of fame first shot. Mendes has such a hate on for everything Leafs its actually kind of funny.
Why not?

Alife,though he never won the Cup, at least won a conference championship and made it to the Finals and has some NHL hardware for himself and his team.

Sundin-no NHL hardware at all in his long career either for himself or for his team
despite playing when the Leafs were one of the biggest spending teams in those pre cap days.

Sundin was a very good, constent player who had a long career.Thats it.

I would have though both Alfie and Sundin would get in but not the first time round.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:28 PM
  #98
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Why not?

Alife,though he never won the Cup, at least won a conference championship and made it to the Finals and has some NHL hardware for himself and his team.

Sundin-no NHL hardware at all in his long career either for himself or for his team
despite playing when the Leafs were one of the biggest spending teams in those pre cap days.

Sundin was a very good, constent player who had a long career.Thats it.

I would have though both Alfie and Sundin would get in but not the first time round.
When it comes to NHL Awards it should be mentioned that Sundin won the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

As for Alfredsson so what he won the Calder Memorial Trophy and the King Clancy Memorial Award. Plus just because the Senators made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007, those are not reasons enough to get him into the Hall of Fame.

Sundin has much better career numbers that Alfredsson will never come close to.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
  #99
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
When it comes to NHL Awards it should be mentioned that Sundin won the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

As for Alfredsson so what he won the Calder Memorial Trophy and the King Clancy Memorial Award. Plus just because the Senators made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007, those are not reasons enough to get him into the Hall of Fame.

Sundin has much better career numbers that Alfredsson will never come close to.
The Mark Messier Award is a joke.

Sundin has played longer than Alfie-came into the NHL about 5 years earlier, yet his career numbers are not much better.

Also Alfie played for many years on a team that was near bankrupt and on a shoestring budget while Sundin played for one of the big hitters in the NHL. When there was no cap, the Leafs had nearly double the payroll of the Sens for most of those years.

And yet Alfies team won a Conference Championship, a Presidents trophy and 4 divisional titles. The Sundin led team depite having about double the payroll won well,1 division title.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
  #100
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,718
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Sundin has much better career numbers that Alfredsson will never come close to.
Actually if you adjust the numbers to reflect the change in scoring from when Sundin came in to when Alfredsson showed up they are very very close.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.