Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I didn't notice Sarich but he's on my list of acceptable pickups. Mueller (and Latendresse) may be more available, but Semin will go to a contender or Detroit.
Detroit is a contender.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:03 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Anyone think if Doan decides to leave Phoenix we have a decent shot? He prefers to live in the South/South-West and will watn to be near his family. I always thought Dallas would be a team he'd consider due to similarities to Phoenix if he ever left.

Then again if he does decide to leave he may just cash it in for a Cup run.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Detroit is a contender.
Eh, maybe. Not if they don't get some new blood on the roster. They are a playoff team right now without any new moves, but they wouldn't be a contender.

They'll have to upgrade the offense and defense. Wings fans are banking on Suter and Semin to fill those holes, along with defensive prospect Smith and forward Nyquist to take big steps. If all of those things happen, then they'll look great. But it's also possible none of those happen, which would leave the roster looking stale, slow, and basically like a lesser version of the same team that's burned out the last 3 playoffs.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Anyone think if Doan decides to leave Phoenix we have a decent shot? He prefers to live in the South/South-West and will watn to be near his family. I always thought Dallas would be a team he'd consider due to similarities to Phoenix if he ever left.

Yeah I can't see him leaving unless it's to a lock playoff team.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Eh, maybe. Not if they don't get some new blood on the roster. They are a playoff team right now without any new moves, but they wouldn't be a contender.

They'll have to upgrade the offense and defense. Wings fans are banking on Suter and Semin to fill those holes, along with defensive prospect Smith and forward Nyquist to take big steps. If all of those things happen, then they'll look great. But it's also possible none of those happen, which would leave the roster looking stale, slow, and basically like a lesser version of the same team that's burned out the last 3 playoffs.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. No matter what they're always a top team and a lock for the playoffs. Would I put them above a healthy Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Vancouver, or Boston? No, but we're in an era where good teams can win the Cup. Greatness no longer exists. It's not like these Wings are going to come up against the 2001 Avs or something. But yeah, they're down compared to years past.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:

He and Gaglardi are awfully close. I wouldn't be shocked if there was at least discussion.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:40 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
With the way Phoenix played last year he might be content staying there for a cup run.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Doesn't seem like Hudler and the Wings can agree on a price. The Wings want him cheap, but Hudler knows he's the best top 6 forward free agent after Parise and Semin (assuming the other rumored guys like Doan are either not moving or won't be in a bidding war).

I'm curious what you guys think of him and what you think would be a fair price and term.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Doesn't seem like Hudler and the Wings can agree on a price. The Wings want him cheap, but Hudler knows he's the best top 6 forward free agent after Parise and Semin (assuming the other rumored guys like Doan are either not moving or won't be in a bidding war).

I'm curious what you guys think of him and what you think would be a fair price and term.
After his outstanding performances against Dallas last year I think GMJN will target him. I could see 3,75 - 4 Mil $ for 3-4 years.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. No matter what they're always a top team and a lock for the playoffs. Would I put them above a healthy Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Vancouver, or Boston? No, but we're in an era where good teams can win the Cup. Greatness no longer exists. It's not like these Wings are going to come up against the 2001 Avs or something. But yeah, they're down compared to years past.
I wouldn't say 'no matter what,' the Dead Wings era says a lot... Just like any team there will be good eras and bad eras so nothing is guaranteed...

Old
06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:

I hate Doan, wouldn't want to cheer for him.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
AJTSS

Hudler playing at the wing for Eakin? Would be a tinytiny line Maybe Morrow could step up to the other wing? Top-6 would be Eriksson-Benn-Ryder, Morrow-Eakin-Hudler.

Who knows, might work. Might not... only GMJN knows

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Add Juri Hudler to your list of possible acquisitions. He'll probably test free agency. You could get Jussi Jokinen like production and results from him, but you'll probably have to shell out $4 to 5 million in the short term. Anything less than 4 and I'm guessing he'd just stay in Detroit.
If that's the case, wouldn't he already be re-signed in Detroit?
He's not going back there from everything I've read and heard.

I'd be ok with picking him up. He'd be playing Top 6 minutes in Dallas I'd have to think and I think he has the ability to play well with more ice time.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Hegemon21

I guess I'd be ok with Hudler except it'd be a chore to have to look at his face every game.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Is Andrei Kostitsyn a viable choice for you guys? I mean, AK is likely to hit the open market on July 1st...

Old
06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Is Andrei Kostitsyn a viable choice for you guys? I mean, AK is likely to hit the open market on July 1st...
I would definitely take a long hard look at AK46.

And I was sort of making a joke about Detroit by not including them in the contender basket. They just lost their top D pair and Z and Pasha have been slowing down the past couple years. I don't think they'll be a true contender, but they have a legacy to uphold. A reputation that you will... for winning.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I wouldn't say 'no matter what,' the Dead Wings era says a lot... Just like any team there will be good eras and bad eras so nothing is guaranteed...
C'mon, I'm clearly talking about this current edition of the Red Wings. The Dead Things era was pure **** for a reason. They lost Lidstrom, yeah that won't be easy to correct. But they've got one of the best coaches in the game and two of the best centers; they're not going anywhere soon. Literally since they got good again they haven't stopped being contenders.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
I guess I'd be ok with Hudler except it'd be a chore to have to look at his face every game.

Although it would be quite a chore I think I could live with that.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Doan is good, solid player.. but he is thirty-five and not what this team needs.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Famous Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
You guys crack me up. Phaneuf would be the best D on the Stars (as well as several other teams) and it wouldn't even be close.

But yeah, I understand it's HF doctrine that Phaneuf sucks. Just like all your prospects are future superstars -- the other theme of this thread.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Doan is good, solid player.. but he is thirty-five and not what this team needs.
I'd argue he's exactly what this team needs.

If you trust your scouting department and the group you have in Austin developing your prospects, you need to plan for a group of close to NHL ready forwards making the jump soon. Scott Glennie, Matt Fraser, Alex Chiasson and Reilly Smith would headline that group, IMO.

You already have 4 young Top 9 options in Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Cody Eakin, and Tomas Vincour. You can't really afford to fill up the rest of your Top 9 with 4 and 5 year contracts for guys that produce about as well as some of your ELC's could.

If you're adding a special piece like Zach Parise of course you sign them long term. If you're telling me though that my other option is Shane Doan vs. a Hudler or Parenteau? Hell no. I have no desire to watch this team sign a late 20's adequate Top 6 option for 4 to 5 years at a premium.

Shane Doan on the other hand is a short term option that will give you close to the same production and excellent leadership. I'd love to see Dallas only sign 35+ year old players this summer to 1 or 2 year contracts. It's an ideal stopgap for the prospects that you need to give an opportunity to soon. Plus I'd be hoping they'd break down a bit (like Souray this year) so those young guys can get some 5-10 game looks at the NHL roster this year.

It's not just the forwards either though. Jason Garisson scares the hell out of me since he has 1 year of actual production. I hate the idea of signing him. He's going to cash in big time, and he has the biggest bust potential IMO. If they sign him, I'll be pulling for him to succeed, but I'd almost feel safer with a guy like Hudler or Semin or Parenteau. I think Garisson probably better fits what Dallas needs, I just think he's a much bigger gamble than the other guys. Late bloomers cashing in like Ville Leino/Jeff Finger scare me.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Defending Big D brought up a good point ... instead of trading Steve Ott for a center (Heika said he thought that's what the team was looking for) ... why not just finally commit to Ott at center for right now? Save your money instead of paying for Gaustad or McClement in free agency. Ott's value right now and at the trade deadline should still be similar. If he establishes himself as a capable center ... it could go up.

Sign a guy like Mikael Samuelsson to a 1 or 2 year contract to play with Vincour and Ott.

Vincour-Ott-Samuelsson

Or ... maybe go ahead and spend a bit more. Travis Moen is one of the top checking forwards available. He probably won't get a long contract either.

Moen-Ott-Vincour would definitely seem like an improvement over Nystrom-Fiddler-Dvorak.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames View Post
You guys crack me up. Phaneuf would be the best D on the Stars (as well as several other teams) and it wouldn't even be close.

But yeah, I understand it's HF doctrine that Phaneuf sucks. Just like all your prospects are future superstars -- the other theme of this thread.
That isn't what anyone's saying, you just continue to ignore what we actually write and invent strawmen. We're saying our prospect pool is overall quite good and is likely to produce at minimum a couple of solid NHLers that can supplement the core of Benn/Eriksson, who as 2/3rds of a legit 1st line already put the Stars ahead of most rebuilding teams.

I'll take Daley and Larsen over Phaneuf, too.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Moen-Ott-Vincour is an upgrade defensively yes, but offensively? Only Ott has cracked more than 25 points between the three. I'd rather see Hagman there.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Brandon Prust could be a good option on a guy that could handle 3rd line minutes next year and then be moved to the 4th line as more prospects make the jump.

You'd get little to no offense from Prust-Ott-Vincour, but I think they again would be better than the Fiddler line was last year.

Closed Thread