HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)

Old
06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
need to dial back the venom a little bit please. If you think someone's breaking the rules, report them. and if you feel like you're getting close to snapping, take a breath and back away from the keyboard for a few minutes.

thanks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Ick. I'd have a tough time getting excited about that roster. Bout as slow as last year. Also why do people always think DW won't do anything? he always does something nuts.
So does he surrender and start to go younger? Cause Im really all for it. I would rather lose now and rebuild then go through a painstaking process to watch what this team did last year. The league has caught up to the Sharks and they really need to re-invent themselves either through the draft or free agency. And Wilson seems to not like to do both.

SoftDumpInTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Lidstrom's last win was pure reputation. Chara I didn't have a problem with, he's excellent defensively as well. Karlsson SUCKS defensively, and a player who wins the Norris should be at least decent defensively.

Norris should be for best defensive dman, make a new trophy for offensive dman. We have a trophy for best defensive forward, it doesn't make sense not to.
Cmon you cant flat out say Karlsson sucks defensively, if he's that bad, then why is it that he's in the other end of the rink putting up points?

I agree there should be a defensive dman trophy, but Norris trophy is a trophy for defenseman that range the full 200 ft of ice. not just 60 ft.

SoftDumpInTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Karlsson is fine defensively. He's not good yet, but he's fine.

06-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
This is pretty close to what will probably end up happening. Of with the exception on 3rd Line C.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.750m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.600m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
BUYOUTS
Michal Handzus ($0.833m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,532,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,767,500
And we'll be right where we were last season. Break up Patty and JT. They have no business playing together. Regardless, that roster ain't winnin' nothin'

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
So youre telling me Chara and Lidstrom are a joke? People want to bash Karlsson for winning it this year, he WAS the best defenseman this year. Without him, the Sens probably dont make the playoffs. And finishing 25+ points over the next defenseman in points is just flat out ridiculous (the best defense is a better offense). Youre welcome!
Quote:
Cmon you cant flat out say Karlsson sucks defensively, if he's that bad, then why is it that he's in the other end of the rink putting up points?

I agree there should be a defensive dman trophy, but Norris trophy is a trophy for defenseman that range the full 200 ft of ice. not just 60 ft.
"The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

All around, not pure offense. Karlsson is poor defensively. especially compared to guys like Chara.

edit: alright, by poor, I mean 'mediocre'. I hardly think that qualifies as norris worthy though. There should be two separate trophies.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
There should be two separate trophies.
I agree, call it the Bobby Orr.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I agree, call it the Bobby Orr.
No. This implies that Orr was known for putting up points, when he was really known for being a dominant defenseman in every centimeter of ice.

I'd rather keep the Norris trophy and add something like the Coffey trophy for leading scorer amongst d-men.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
No. This implies that Orr was known for putting up points, when he was really known for being a dominant defenseman in every centimeter of ice.

I'd rather keep the Norris trophy and add something like the Coffey trophy for leading scorer amongst d-men.
I agree, Orr actually exemplifies the Norris trophy well. He was both the best offensive and defensive defensemen in the NHL at the same time. Plus, he was the best offensive player period several years.

Bobby Orr is a cut above, I honestly don't think any defensemen in NHL history really compares.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:06 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
"The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

All around, not pure offense. Karlsson is poor defensively. especially compared to guys like Chara.

edit: alright, by poor, I mean 'mediocre'. I hardly think that qualifies as norris worthy though. There should be two separate trophies.
No need to apologize. It should be understood that we are talking in terms of Norris-level defensemen; everything is relative.

In the HOH board, a lot of people get angry when Lidstrom is called "so-so" offensively. But compared to the people we are comparing him to; Potvin, Bourque, Harvey, he is.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I agree, Orr actually exemplifies the Norris trophy well. He was both the best offensive and defensive defensemen in the NHL at the same time. Plus, he was the best offensive player period several years.

Bobby Orr is a cut above, I honestly don't think any defensemen in NHL history really compares.
I don't think any player in NHL history compares. Pure dominance at every facet of the game; incredible physical gifts with a great hockey brain.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
And we'll be right where we were last season. Break up Patty and JT. They have no business playing together. Regardless, that roster ain't winnin' nothin'
I have a hard time seeing any way that DW puts together a roster this offseason that I think is winning anything

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

FTR...

Sharks announce today they have agreed to terms with Stuart. Everything finished except submitting paperwork to league.

(Which may or may not be the 3 years/$3.6m per rumored)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:02 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I have a hard time seeing any way that DW puts together a roster this offseason that I think is winning anything
Relax. Only one team wins the cup. That means that 29 out of 30 teams fail each year. We have made the playoffs every year since DW has taken over the team. Only Detroit can say the same thing. We aren't Toronto. We aren't Columbus. We are a very good team that just hasn't been able to get to the silver thingy. Enjoy watching a very good team and know that one day, we will get ours. It took the Kings 45 years. I bet we will get it done before that.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 50
According to a fortune teller I came across on myspace a few years ago, I'll only live to the age of 28 so this cup thing better happen soon...

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:28 AM
MarleauApologist
I no much like LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
According to a fortune teller I came across on myspace a few years ago, I'll only live to the age of 28 so this cup thing better happen soon...
That makes no sense...did you get your grandmother to take that test for you or something? I'm pretty sure she's the only one who was alive when MySpace was cool...

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Looks like it's official:

San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks
#SJSharks sign defenseman Brad Stuart to a three-year contract:

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Is the $3.6 million/year official?

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Is the $3.6 million/year official?
Capgeek says yes.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636164
Sharks official announcement

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Relax. Only one team wins the cup. That means that 29 out of 30 teams fail each year. We have made the playoffs every year since DW has taken over the team. Only Detroit can say the same thing. We aren't Toronto. We aren't Columbus. We are a very good team that just hasn't been able to get to the silver thingy. Enjoy watching a very good team and know that one day, we will get ours. It took the Kings 45 years. I bet we will get it done before that.
Oh, I'm not really worried about it, I enjoy watching us even if we aren't the best team (sort of), I'm just saying I have a hard time seeing this team winning a cup, I'm not as confident as I have been in past years. Of course, maybe the roster will be much different come fall, or DW will change his mind and get rid of TM.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Oh, I'm not really worried about it, I enjoy watching us even if we aren't the best team (sort of), I'm just saying I have a hard time seeing this team winning a cup, I'm not as confident as I have been in past years. Of course, maybe the roster will be much different come fall, or DW will change his mind and get rid of TM.
Me either, then again I posted a thread a few months ago called "We aren't ever winning the cup with this core" lol. I just think there are too many teams now who sucked for a lot of years and did a great job developing. Teams like LA who then traded to maximize their talent. Chicago did the same thing last year. The Blues are another fast young team that gives us issues. Vancouver beat us with a better defense and depth.

I'm not optimistic about most of our players. Pavs and couture have the huge disadvantage of being both small sized and not fast. Thornton and clowe have size but are soooo slow. Then Marleau and havlat are the only fast skaters in the top 6, marleau disappearing at the worst times for whatever reason.

So, how many more times are we going to run into a brick wall before we decide it's time to rebuild?

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Sharksfan83

Why do people keep calling JT slow? He's not electrically fast, but he isn't slow.

He plays a slow game I guess? If that's what we call it? But he's not a slow skater.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Why do people keep calling JT slow? He's not electrically fast, but he isn't slow.

He plays a slow game I guess? If that's what we call it? But he's not a slow skater.
His top speed is average but his acceleration is horrendous.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
His top speed is average but his acceleration is horrendous.
thornton isn't slow in the least. just cause he never uses his speed any more doesn't mean he is slow.

thornton could make any defender look foolish just 6-7 years ago, by bursting past him down the wing. granted since then his game has changed, but doesn't mean he is slow, or else most of the time he would not be the 1st back on the back check even though he has (as some would say here, fastest player in the league on his wing).

thornton doesn't have a fast start to his stride but once the guy gets going he is above average when it comes to top end speed.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote