HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[COL] Shane O'Brien (3 Years, $6 Million - AAV of $2 Million)

Old
06-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Wait, SOB got a 3 year/$2 mill per deal?

A bit of overpayment for a bottom pairing defenceman who fails miserably whenever he does anything other than be a bottom pairing defenceman.
Canucks have Ballard making $4.2M on their bottom pairing so I don't get why so many of their fans are talking crap in this thread.

SOB at 3 yrs/$6M > Ballard at 3 yrs/$12.6M

Lets not even start talking about the team that has Komisarek making $4.5M/yr.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:35 AM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Canucks have Ballard making $4.2M on their bottom pairing so I don't get why so many of their fans are talking crap in this thread.

And Canuck fans are thrilled about Ballard, but at least Ballard has been a very good soldier and taken his scratches and low rank in stride. More than could be said about SOB as a Canuck.

More than the money, I'd strongly question giving Shane O'Brain that kind of term. A guy with a history of being a fat, lazy, me-first party guy on a 3 year deal seems like asking for trouble.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
More than the money, I'd strongly question giving Shane O'Brain that kind of term. A guy with a history of being a fat, lazy, me-first party guy on a 3 year deal seems like asking for trouble.
At least spell his name right if you're going to critique the guy

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

Just because it's not the worst contract in hockey doesn't mean it's a good one.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:54 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
At least spell his name right if you're going to critique the guy
That spelling was completely intentional.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
This deal is just to buy our kids time in the AHL.

Don't hate on O'Brien too much. In 2-3 years he'll be available at the deadline and probably shopped to your team of choice for a 4th or 5th rounder. And your GM may bite, who knows. I don't think anyone believe SOB is the second coming of Chris Pronger but someone will want cheap depth on the blueline.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Landeslog

Quote:
And Canuck fans are thrilled about Ballard, but at least Ballard has been a very good soldier and taken his scratches and low rank in stride. More than could be said about SOB as a Canuck.

Shane O'Brien is probably the least me-first guy on this team. MAYBE second to Cody McLeod...

He's not very good, sure. But the character issues are long gone so stop bringing them up.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
Shane O'Brien is probably the least me-first guy on this team. MAYBE second to Cody McLeod...

He's not very good, sure. But the character issues are long gone so stop bringing them up.
Hunwick says hello. Not only is he more of a team guy than O'Brien, he's "more badder" too.

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
Hunwick says hello. Not only is he more of a team guy than O'Brien, he's "more badder" too.
SOB does have that tendency to sometimes be so hungover that he forgots that he's not Bobby Orr, but that's more a function of his badness as a player than his priorities and selfishness.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
cgf

X-EJ
Hejda-O'Byrne
Wilson-SOB
Hunwick

The team's just filling out the depth so that our kids have to earn their spots, all of our bottom 3 defenders aren't really being overpaid, and so can be traded once the kids start to push them out of their jobs. And frankly, I think that'll happen this year, with at least one of Gaunce or Barrie earning a permanent job in the NHL.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Not a bad move.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:

Why do you guys keep going back to his days with the Canucks? He has been fine ever since he got out of Vancouver. No problems with the Preds and no problems with the Avs either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Just because it's not the worst contract in hockey doesn't mean it's a good one.
I don't think it's a bad one.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:

It's never happened where someone grows up and matures.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote