HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL regular season games in New York?

Old
03-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
no thanks. not interesting in a second tier hockey league.
The KHL, a second-tier hockey league? This isn't 2009! Today's top KHL teams (Kazan, Ufa, Atlant, SKA, Omsk and the like) would likely be good enough to be in the race for NHL playoff spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeakster View Post
How are they gonna market this if no KHL games are on TV and no English commentaries are available? KHL better step up and at least get the finals on TV.
Would Versus somehow carry the game? Or Sportsnet?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
How are they gonna market this if no KHL games are on TV and no English commentaries are available? KHL better step up and at least get the finals on TV.
You know there are tv stations outside of north America.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
khl games used to be on espn360

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
MrBeakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
You know there are tv stations outside of north America.
I catch live games on KHL Youtube channel all the time. How many people here know this?

MrBeakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:27 PM
IJKPrinciple

Quote:
I catch live games on KHL Youtube channel all the time. How many people here know this?
I do. Although youtube live stream quality isn't that great, it's FREE nonetheless.

Also didn't NHL TV translate all games of the final series between Atlant and Salavat Yulayev last year?

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:00 AM
ult

SKA and Dynamo Moscow will play two games in Barclays Center on January 19th and 20th.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/new...-janvarja.html

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:04 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
SKA and Dynamo Moscow will play two games in Barclays Center on January 19th and 20th.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/new...-janvarja.html
I will probably go, not the best time of the year though.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The KHL, a second-tier hockey league? This isn't 2009! Today's top KHL teams (Kazan, Ufa, Atlant, SKA, Omsk and the like) would likely be good enough to be in the race for NHL playoff spots.
That would seriously surprise me to be totally honest

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
That would seriously surprise me to be totally honest
three questions for you:
- do you follow KHL?
- are you going to the games yourself?
- if the answer to previous two is no, why are you here?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
afrobomber11

me and my buddy wanted to make a vay kay outta this but work and school got in the way, oh well next time, would be interesting to watch if i can find it tho

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
three questions for you:
- do you follow KHL?
- are you going to the games yourself?
- if the answer to previous two is no, why are you here?
do i follow the khl yes, am i going to the games, no, too far away for me

Attacking my existence does not change the potential truth value of my statement

Old
06-27-2012, 03:19 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post

Would Versus somehow carry the game? Or Sportsnet?
Everyone else i agree on,but SKA? ridicilous how many times have they have played in KHL finals? 0 how many gagarin cups they have? 0 how frequently do they fail in PO`s? Every.single.time.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:

Attacking my existence does not change the potential truth value of my statement
Yeah, I like your opinion, i see no reason for this action as well as NHL in Wales. But, I have nothing against them...

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
cska78

Quote:

no one's attacking your existence...Professors and Teachers always say, read the question, then answer it.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Everyone else i agree on,but SKA? ridicilous how many times have they have played in KHL finals? 0 how many gagarin cups they have? 0 how frequently do they fail in PO`s? Every.single.time.
SKA may very well be playoff chokers, but my statement didn't pertain to Stanley/Gagarin Cup contention.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I would rethink all the giggling as SKA is the only team on that list that has actually beat an NHL team before. Beat them pretty handily too.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I would rethink all the giggling as SKA is the only team on that list that has actually beat an NHL team before. Beat them pretty handily too.
the problem I have with the previous statement(not yours, but the guy that listed 6ish nhl playoff teams from the khl) is that it's always been NHL teams in preseason, with most accounts saying they didnt take the games against the khl teams seriously, and it's on international ice. I don't really know how you get the NHL teams to take it seriously in a real contest as there is no way to really make it worth something, but hey, time will tell

Just look at the SKA roster, at least the one on the english khl site, Most of those players are out of the NHL cause they didnt have the skills, or self control(artyukhin) or they lost something along the way(afinogenov)

I'm not being disrespectful to the KHL or Russia, but the skill level simply isn't there. Look at the rosters for the LA Kings and Ottawa Senators (last playoff spot in both conferences) Both of those are far superior in terms of talent

Old
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
the problem I have with the previous statement(not yours, but the guy that listed 6ish nhl playoff teams from the khl) is that it's always been NHL teams in preseason, with most accounts saying they didnt take the games against the khl teams seriously, and it's on international ice. I don't really know how you get the NHL teams to take it seriously in a real contest as there is no way to really make it worth something, but hey, time will tell
never short on excuses

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
never short on excuses
hey you live in Toronto, you should know that no one takes pre season seriously in any north american sport because the only people that play hard are those that are trying to win spots on the team, everyone else just coasts

Old
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

Just look at the SKA roster, at least the one on the english khl site, Most of those players are out of the NHL cause they didnt have the skills, or self control(artyukhin) or they lost something along the way(afinogenov)

I'm not being disrespectful to the KHL or Russia, but the skill level simply isn't there. Look at the rosters for the LA Kings and Ottawa Senators (last playoff spot in both conferences) Both of those are far superior in terms of talent
The NHL would never do it because they are the larger brand and it would help legitimize the KHL in the event of defeat. But if each player got 100k a game and sponsors could probably do it, if the NHL champ played the KHL champ in a super series at the end of the season I am guessing the guys would try pretty hard. They already play enough games in the NHL, but it would be interesting to see it.

Of course there is the whole scheduling difference but in my opinion not impossible, just incredibly improbable.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
The NHL would never do it because they are the larger brand and it would help legitimize the KHL in the event of defeat. But if each player got 100k a game and sponsors could probably do it, if the NHL champ played the KHL champ in a super series at the end of the season I am guessing the guys would try pretty hard. They already play enough games in the NHL, but it would be interesting to see it.

Of course there is the whole scheduling difference but in my opinion not impossible, just incredibly improbable.
I think the scheduling combined with injuries would be enough to make it close to impossible

I'd be happy with the idea if the seasons ended at the same time, but it just doesn't come close to working this way

Old
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
hey you live in Toronto, you should know that no one takes pre season seriously in any north american sport because the only people that play hard are those that are trying to win spots on the team, everyone else just coasts
Ye I live in Toronto and they coast the whole season, not just preseason. I also know just how awful Maple Leafs are and their roster "skill" level. Aside from Kessel, Grobovsky and maybe Phaneuf its a huge drop- like in a lot of NHL teams. It's overhyped and overblown 10 fold (like the past 3 WCs proven), and I'll take the skill level Dynamo Moscow or Omsk Avangard teams over the Leafs anyday.

Same for Carolina that lost to SKA. And if you didn't watch the game, you wouldn't know that Carolina actually WAS trying for the first half of the game, until they realized that someone MIGHT get injured- and the COACH ordered the team to relax and pulled the best player.

These games should be like playoffs- not for money, but for prestige. If you truly think you are the best - go on the ice and prove it. And NHL has no interest in actual competition with KHL teams because they can realistically lose quiet a few, and legitamize KHL as a serious league, which it is anyway.

Skill level also isn't everything in hockey, but that's another topic.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:

Did you even watch the game? It was very intense, with fights and hard plays. Those guys went at it for real. There was much at stake for those guys even if it was a preseason game. These are the apex of competitive athletes we are talking about. They are representing their league against a bitter rival.

The SKA roster is what it is, but on the big ice it's as good as most teams in the NHL. The skill level of SKA was heads above Carolina.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Did you even watch the game? It was very intense, with fights and hard plays. Those guys went at it for real. There was much at stake for those guys even if it was a preseason game. These are the apex of competitive athletes we are talking about. They are representing their league against a bitter rival.

The SKA roster is what it is, but on the big ice it's as good as most teams in the NHL. The skill level was of SKA was heads above Carolina.
You mean the game where Paul Maurice sat several of his stars for about half the game for fear of injury...

The game where Cam Ward only played half the game so Justin Peters could get some action in

The game that Zubov said he thought the Hurricanes were going to treat it like a preseason game

Okay they won one game but not exactly regular season or playoff circumstances

Old
06-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Ye I live in Toronto and they coast the whole season, not just preseason. I also know just how awful Maple Leafs are and their roster "skill" level. Aside from Kessel, Grobovsky and maybe Phaneuf its a huge drop- like in a lot of NHL teams. It's overhyped and overblown 10 fold (like the past 3 WCs proven), and I'll take the skill level Dynamo Moscow or Omsk Avangard teams over the Leafs anyday.

Same for Carolina that lost to SKA. And if you didn't watch the game, you wouldn't know that Carolina actually WAS trying for the first half of the game, until they realized that someone MIGHT get injured- and the COACH ordered the team to relax and pulled the best player.

These games should be like playoffs- not for money, but for prestige. If you truly think you are the best - go on the ice and prove it. And NHL has no interest in actual competition with KHL teams because they can realistically lose quiet a few, and legitamize KHL as a serious league, which it is anyway.

Skill level also isn't everything in hockey, but that's another topic.
the leafs are an odd situation no doubt about that and if you think the players coast in the nhl but try in the khl you're just letting your bias show.

the NHL has no interesting in playing the KHL cause they have nothing to gain from it, can't blame them for that, that's the reality of the situation.

Also I'm not really sure what the WC's have proven... Russia has been a close to full strength team and Canada has been a B or C team the last few years

I looked at the Omsk roster, Aside from Frolov and Roman Cervenka I don't see anyone I'd consider that special.