HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mendes: Sundin should wait for hall of fame.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Why not?

Alife,though he never won the Cup, at least won a conference championship and made it to the Finals and has some NHL hardware for himself and his team.

Sundin-no NHL hardware at all in his long career either for himself or for his team
despite playing when the Leafs were one of the biggest spending teams in those pre cap days.

Sundin was a very good, constent player who had a long career.Thats it.

I would have though both Alfie and Sundin would get in but not the first time round.
Sundin was on a completely different level from Alfredsson, while playing with considerably worse players. Really, aside from a couple years with Mogilny on his wing, who did Sundin have? Nobody.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Sundin was on a completely different level from Alfredsson, while playing with considerably worse players. Really, aside from a couple years with Mogilny on his wing, who did Sundin have? Nobody.
Yeah, Arvedson, Smolinski and Todd White were powerhouses.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:09 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
And yet Alfies team won a Conference Championship, a Presidents trophy and 4 divisional titles. The Sundin led team depite having about double the payroll won well,1 division title.
The NHL doesn't factor in team awards like you mentioned when choosing if a player makes the Hall of Fame.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, Arvedson, Smolinski and Todd White were powerhouses.
Good job picking the few scrubs he played with. Sundin played with scrubs his entire career.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:00 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Sundin played with scrubs his entire career.
I wouldn't call players such as Alexander Mogilny, Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker & Owen Nolan scrubs. At some point during their time with the Leafs they also played on a line with Sundin. It's just that people want to remember him playing more with others like Jonas Hogland and Mikael Renberg who weren't as popular with Leafs fans.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I wouldn't call players such as Alexander Mogilny, Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker & Owen Nolan scrubs. At some point during their time with the Leafs they also played on a line with Sundin. It's just that people want to remember him playing more with others like Jonas Hogland and Mikael Renberg who weren't as popular with Leafs fans.
Umm...you are right. Guys like Mogilny, Roberts, and Nolan weren't scrubs and were good players...The operative word being 'were'.
Roberts was like a decade past his prime.
Same with Nolan.
Tucker, although being a good player, average about 35 pts throughout his career except for two blips where he hit around 60. Offensive juggernaut? Err...no.
Mogilny was the only one on your list that wasn't a scrub. Played very well...but other than one year where he got 79 pts, his other 2 yrs as a Leaf was injury plagued and he was also close to a decade past his prime.
Surprised no one has mentioned this already so I'm going to mention it here now before someone brings this up. The only other great winger I can think of that played with Sundin was Doug Gilmour. But again, Gilmour while playing with Sundin was in his decline. His best years as a Leaf was before Sundin. And he only played 3 years with Sundin. Though they were marred with injuries etc.
So no. I can't think of a single winger who played at an elite level, in his prime, to have played with Sundin the whole of Sundin's career as a Leaf.
So yes, those names may not be scrubs but from an offensive impact point of view, other than a busted up old Gilmour and Mogilny, everyone else, although may not be scrubs, had an offensive impact pretty much like a scrub.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
saffronleaf

Congratulations, Mats! I grew up watching you play and you are my favorite athlete. A wicked backhand, Selke-level two-way play, physicality, puck protection, talent, leader by example, able to handle the pressure of being the captain of the Leafs (the first European captain), unbelievable consistency, able to succeed with often poor linemates, lots of NHL and international accolades and accomplishments, and incredible clutchness.

You're the greatest Leafs player of all-time. You're an inspiration to a generation of Leafs fans and Swedish people. You're an inspiration to me.

Thank you for the memories.

My three favorite Sundin memories:

1. ECF against Carolina in Game 6, game tying goal.
2. ECQF against Ottawa in Game 1, OT game winning goal.
3. 500th career goal (shorthanded hat-trick in OT against Calgary).

Honourable mentions:
- ECQF against Philadelphia in 1999, game winning goal in last couple of minutes.
- Shootout goal against the Leafs while playing for Vancouver (although this was bittersweet).

Sundin was so loyal to the Leafs; management asking him to waive his NTC was disgusting. Did Detroit do that to Yzerman? Colorado to Sakic? Just pathetic. I apologize, the vast majority of Leafs Nation loves you for your loyalty.

I always think of how crazy it would have been if Sundin were young enough to be Kessel's centerman. Just imagine.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:39 AM
emmjayb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post

shanahan was a very good player but if he was your teams best player you weren't winning any cups
So first off, not disagreeing in the least... but it is kinda funny. I have some news for you, if Mats Sundin was your team's best player, you are also not winning any cups. This, we know.

emmjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:38 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmjayb View Post
So first off, not disagreeing in the least... but it is kinda funny. I have some news for you, if Mats Sundin was your team's best player, you are also not winning any cups. This, we know.
Further illustrating the point that hockey teams are composed of 23players, that win as a collective. Individual players (not even HHOF players) do not win Cups, teams do.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Regardless, I think he's got the wrong Sportsnet guy, Damien Goddard was the one who made controversial remarks about gay marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I'm surprised Mendes still has a job after his homophobic stance a couple years ago.
I remember the Goddard thing, did Mendes do something similair or was this just a mix up?

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...you are right. Guys like Mogilny, Roberts, and Nolan weren't scrubs and were good players...The operative word being 'were'.
Roberts was like a decade past his prime.
Same with Nolan.
Tucker, although being a good player, average about 35 pts throughout his career except for two blips where he hit around 60. Offensive juggernaut? Err...no.
Mogilny was the only one on your list that wasn't a scrub. Played very well...but other than one year where he got 79 pts, his other 2 yrs as a Leaf was injury plagued and he was also close to a decade past his prime.
Surprised no one has mentioned this already so I'm going to mention it here now before someone brings this up. The only other great winger I can think of that played with Sundin was Doug Gilmour. But again, Gilmour while playing with Sundin was in his decline. His best years as a Leaf was before Sundin. And he only played 3 years with Sundin. Though they were marred with injuries etc.
So no. I can't think of a single winger who played at an elite level, in his prime, to have played with Sundin the whole of Sundin's career as a Leaf.
So yes, those names may not be scrubs but from an offensive impact point of view, other than a busted up old Gilmour and Mogilny, everyone else, although may not be scrubs, had an offensive impact pretty much like a scrub.
Here are Sundin's scrub teammates compared to say, Alfredsson's juggernaut teammates (60+ points):

Sakic 109
Heatley 105
Sakic 105
Heatley 103
Sakic 94
Yashin 94
Sakic 92
Spezza 92
Spezza 90
Yashin 88
Spezza 87
Spezza 84

D.Sedin 82
H.Sedin 82
Duchesne 82

Heatley 82
Hossa 82

Hossa 80
Mogilny 79
Ricci 78

Karlsson 78
Nolan 77
Yashin 75
Hossa 75

Nolan 73
Thomas 73

Spezza 73
Heatley 72
McEachern 72

Gilmour 72
Yashin 72
Bonk 70

Kovalenko 68
Havlat 68
McCabe 68
Kaberle 67

Hossa 66
Kamensky 65
Andreychuk 38 (65)
Thomas 63
Ridley 37 (63)
Murphy 61
Tucker 61

Michalek 60
Gilmour 60
Bonk 60
Allison 60
White 60
S.Young 60

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:09 AM
pepperMonkey

Err...I thought I was clear on this but looks like I wasn't. Probably the reason I am not a lawyer or scientist.
I thought I said when he was a Leaf, to illustrate how pathetically the organization surrounded him with well...not much.
So that leaves out the first 4 years in the NHL as a Nord.
Which leaves I think 13/25?
And leaves out the last year he played in the NHL with the half year he played as a Canuck.
Which leaves 11/25?
And I'm fairly sure I said those he played with as his wingers...though considering how errr..inept they were as defensive D's, they probably may have done rather well as forwards...anyhow that leaves a further 9/25?
So that leaves
Mogilny 79
Thomas 73
Gilmour 72
Thomas 63
Tucker 61
Murphy 61
Gilmour 60
Allison 60
(sorry, didn't really include Andreychuk)
So I stand corrected, I totally forgot about Thomas and Allison, thank you for that.
Though I did ask for elite wingers that were in their primes that played with Sundin (for the record that leaves the offensive juggernaut that is the shoe in future HHOF, ultra mega elite, 35pt average Tucker...ooo, ahhh...err...).

For the record, if he stayed a Nord he probably would have had a glorious career. Unfortunately he played most of his career as a Leaf and was supported by either old, past their prime, often injured, past elite players (Mogilny, Thomas etc.) or some great offensive D's (Kaberle and McCabe). Oh, and also some great goaltenders (though some would also say past their prime, old etc.). These veteran forwards are usually brought in to help the up and coming young players, bring experience and provide secondary or tertiary offence...not to 'be' the offence...except for Toronto...which is some of the reasons why Toronto hasn't won a cup in a fairly long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Here are Sundin's scrub teammates compared to say, Alfredsson's juggernaut teammates (60+ points):

Sakic 109
Heatley 105
Sakic 105
Heatley 103
Sakic 94
Yashin 94
Sakic 92
Spezza 92
Spezza 90
Yashin 88
Spezza 87
Spezza 84

D.Sedin 82
H.Sedin 82
Duchesne 82

Heatley 82
Hossa 82

Hossa 80
Mogilny 79
Ricci 78

Karlsson 78
Nolan 77
Yashin 75
Hossa 75

Nolan 73
Thomas 73

Spezza 73
Heatley 72
McEachern 72

Gilmour 72
Yashin 72
Bonk 70

Kovalenko 68
Havlat 68
McCabe 68
Kaberle 67

Hossa 66
Kamensky 65
Andreychuk 38 (65)
Thomas 63
Ridley 37 (63)
Murphy 61
Tucker 61

Michalek 60
Gilmour 60
Bonk 60
Allison 60
White 60
S.Young 60

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Vexxed14

People forget that it is not just about the NHL.

Sundin gets massive bonus points for being the first Euro drafted #1 and the first euro captain in the NHL. He also was an international hockey stud.

Those 3 factors balance out the lack of NHL hardware imo, considering his on ice consistency.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Hockey Hall of Fame.

Mats Sundin may be the greatest IIHF (international hockey) player of all-time.
Then maybe this is the place for him...

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/histor...l-of-fame.html

He hasn't done enough in the NHL to warrant a first ballot inclusion to the HHOF - no matter what you think you know.

Quote:
I think 5 of the 6 are in the HHOF.

Sundin is the best of any player since Gretzky retired.
OK - now I just wonder if you've suffered a recent head wound...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

When Mendes plays his first game of hockey he can criticize Mats for accepting being inducted into the Hall.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Then maybe this is the place for him...

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/histor...l-of-fame.html

He hasn't done enough in the NHL to warrant a first ballot inclusion to the HHOF - no matter what you think you know.

OK - now I just wonder if you've suffered a recent head wound...
Are you kidding me? A panel of multiple intelligent hockey minds inducted/voted him into the Hall of Fame. So "no matter what you think you know" hes obviously worthy of a first ballot induction. I only say this because he was just inducted on the first ballot yesterday.

This is a prime example of trolling and uneducated hockey fans. He earned his spot yet some fans still think they know better then people actually associated to the sport and league... HAHAHA

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Well, assume there will be four inductees, one builder. That leaves three players. Sakic and Shanahan pretty much have those locked, so it's between Bure, Lindros and Sundin.
Sundin has the longest of the Careers, so he probably gets it.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Are you kidding me? A panel of multiple intelligent hockey minds inducted/voted him into the Hall of Fame. So "no matter what you think you know" hes obviously worthy of a first ballot induction. I only say this because he was just inducted on the first ballot yesterday.

This is a prime example of trolling and uneducated hockey fans. He earned his spot yet some fans still think they know better then people actually associated to the sport and league... HAHAHA
But former head coach Pat Quinn was on the panel.

That's how Bure got in as well.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

Indeed. Arguing as if it didn't happen and cannot happen is just amusing.

Sundin is a first ballot in HHOF, yeah.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:

They can't be that intelligent if they keep refusing to put Pat Burns into the Hall. I could care less about Sundin going in, but to perpetually pass up Pat Burns in the 'Builder' category makes the committee look like idiots.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
They can't be that intelligent if they keep refusing to put Pat Burns into the Hall. I could care less about Sundin going in, but to perpetually pass up Pat Burns in the 'Builder' category makes the committee look like idiots.
Agreed.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
noobman

Quote:
Hockey Hall of Fame.

Mats Sundin may be the greatest IIHF (international hockey) player of all-time.
That just about sums it up. The fact that Mats Sundin was as good as he was in International play gets him in on the first ballot.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Incognito

Does anyone actually care what Mendes thinks?

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
aemoreira1981

I agree somewhat---Shanahan should have gone in this year and Sundin next---I also suspect like many, it came down to Sundin or Shanahan.

Next year should have Shanny and Mogilny in the class.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
sepster

Quote:

I guess I'm over in the corner with these other trolls and uneducated hockey fans

Quote:
Kevin Allen, USA Today: “Don't have any issue with today's HHOF choices. But Shanahan should have been automatic.''

Matthew Barnaby, former player and TV analyst: “I am blown away that Sundin made it and No Shanahan. Wow!''

Rich Chere, Newark Star-Ledger: “Mats Sundin in the Hall of Fame before three-time Stanley Cup champion Brendan Shanahan? Really?''

Nick Cotsonika, Yahoo! Sports: “Don't understand how Sundin is a first-ballot Hall of Famer and Shanahan is not. … Shanahan will have his day. It just should have been today.''

Darren Dreger, TSN: “I do my best to respect all nominees and the process, however, no Shanahan and no Pat Burns makes NO sense. Hall of Fame debate will rage on.''

Ray Ferraro, TSN: “For all asking--and there is a lot-- I would've picked shanahan before Sundin this year.''

Stan Fischler, hockey writer: “Brendan Shanahan belongs in Hall of Fame ahead of #Mats Sundin. Shanny won a Cup; Sundin won nothing but Toronto writers. Voters blunder.''

Elliotte Friedman, CBC: “Surprised Shanahan didn't get in. Very deserving.''

Joe Haggerty, CSN New England: “Can't wait to hear Will Arnett doling out punishment as Brendan Shanahan to the Hockey HOF for snubbing Shanny today.''

Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal: “Sorry but Brendan Shanahan would have been a better first-ballot HHOF guy than Mats Sundin. More pts and 3 Cups, plus fearsome fighter.''

Bob McKenzie, TSN: “Personally, I think it's ludicrous that Brendan Shanahan wasn't a first-ballot HHOFer, and that Fred Shero and Pat Burns are still not there.''

Pierre LeBrun, ESPN: “Thrilled for Bure and Oates. Their HHOF call was long overdue. Stunned, however, Shanahan wasn't first ballot.''

Adam Proteau, formerly of The Hockey News: “If I were in charge of the Hockey Hall of Fame inductions today, Sakic, Shanahan, Fred Shero, Pat Burns and Geraldine Heaney would be in.''

Dan Rosen, NHL.com: “Like many others, I, too, am surprised that Shanahan did not get the call today.''

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote