HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading the Blue Jackets at the 2012 Draft

View Poll Results: Rating the 2012 Draft
A 11 13.10%
B 57 67.86%
C 10 11.90%
D 5 5.95%
F 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
Explain your opposition
Look up QMJHL scoring leaders from the last 20 years, then expand it to top-10 within a given year. Feel free to do it for the WHL and OHL too.

I remember when junior stats were only available through a print copy of THN, and then through people on the Prodigy bulletin boards. It was interesting to get the draft preview issue, then go back through the entire season and see how many guys with huge numbers of points weren't projected to be drafted, and how many who finished lower were projected as high picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Or any team is mentioned, for that matter. Hell, last I checked he's still introducing Detroit in his summaries as Presented By Amway. That grew stale months ago (as much as I enjoyed it at the time).

He's just a pro troll, really.
No he's not. Legitimate trolling is absolutely a thing of beauty; it's basically a logically-based form of devil's advocate. It's likely to inflame, very likely to infuriate, and yet totally steeped in logic and common sense.

Lambert isn't worthy to lick the dust off the feet of a legitimate troll. He's what so many people confuse trolling with...being a loudmouthed, overly opinionated douchenozzle without being able to back up or defend anything he says. Or, for that matter, have any interest in defending what he says. These clowns fall into two careers:
1) Hit-and-run posters, who know no actual career, or
2) The idiots who devise political hit pieces

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Points aren't everything in hockey. Especially not for a 17 year old kid ... it's not like we drafted him in the first round. And, on the flip side, there are plenty of players who dominate offensively as 17 year olds, but turn out to do nothing in the NHL. Pavel Brendl still holds numerous records for 17 year olds in the WHL, as a matter of fact, and went 4th overall in 1999 ... while a guy selected in the 7th round of that same draft, who scored only 28 points in 37 games, has gone on to a likely hall of fame career (Henrik Zetterberg).

I'm not saying that we've drafted a Henrik Zetterberg here, but at least give them a chance to develop and see what we have.
Problem is Zetterberg took 7 years to develop. This team doesnt have the the luxury/patience for someone to develop for that long. Which is my problem with the pick, the fact that it reeks of Ben Wright

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Look up QMJHL scoring leaders from the last 20 years, then expand it to top-10 within a given year. Feel free to do it for the WHL and OHL too.

I remember when junior stats were only available through a print copy of THN, and then through people on the Prodigy bulletin boards. It was interesting to get the draft preview issue, then go back through the entire season and see how many guys with huge numbers of points weren't projected to be drafted, and how many who finished lower were projected as high picks.

No he's not. Legitimate trolling is absolutely a thing of beauty; it's basically a logically-based form of devil's advocate. It's likely to inflame, very likely to infuriate, and yet totally steeped in logic and common sense.

Lambert isn't worthy to lick the dust off the feet of a legitimate troll. He's what so many people confuse trolling with...being a loudmouthed, overly opinionated douchenozzle without being able to back up or defend anything he says. Or, for that matter, have any interest in defending what he says. These clowns fall into two careers:
1) Hit-and-run posters, who know no actual career, or
2) The idiots who devise political hit pieces
Thats your personal definition of trolling, which actually seems to be describing satire.

In every sense he's a professional troll, posting inflammatory, superfluous material with the intent to draw an emotional response(the comment section) while getting paid to do so

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Problem is Zetterberg took 7 years to develop. This team doesnt have the the luxury/patience for someone to develop for that long. Which is my problem with the pick, the fact that it reeks of Ben Wright
Yeah, you're right, we don't have time to let middling prospects develop into NHL talent; our fans are all morons who are going to turn their back on the team for not drafting 19 year old scorers in every round of the draft, as the Canucks did this year. Do you really think the Red Wings cared that it took their 7th round pick 7 years to develop? Nor will this franchise care if it takes their 4th round pick 4 years to develop ... I guarantee you won't find anyone past round 2 that will play in the NHL this year, and you'd be hard pressed to find one that will play even next year.

I'll stop feeding the troll now; as it's obvious that you're just here to stir the pot. I've made my point.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Yeah, you're right, we don't have time to let middling prospects develop into NHL talent; our fans are all morons who are going to turn their back on the team for not drafting 19 year old scorers in every round of the draft, as the Canucks did this year. Do you really think the Red Wings cared that it took their 7th round pick 7 years to develop? Nor will this franchise care if it takes their 4th round pick 4 years to develop ... I guarantee you won't find anyone past round 2 that will play in the NHL this year, and you'd be hard pressed to find one that will play even next year.

I'll stop feeding the troll now; as it's obvious that you're just here to stir the pot. I've made my point.
Your first sentence is great. Thats quite the (unfounded) inference you made there

Do you really think that our situation is the same as Detroit's when they drafted Zetterburg? (Their roster was already set, and loaded with HHOFers, which is why they didnt care about the development time. What about the Blue Jackets now is anything like Detroit then?)

Our franchise typically lets prospects go after the 4th year of development. If you want to go through and find all of the prospects that the team retained after 4 years, feel free. It wont take long though

Expressing a contrary opinion is trolling now?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:37 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...odUJhzoL97vLYF

Perhaps some light shed on potentially why the CBJ wouldn't have drafted Yakupov?

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 06-27-2012 at 06:44 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:42 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

Perhaps some light shed on potentially why the CBJ wouldn't have draft Yakupov?
Hell, the guy can go 5 hole, short side, up top, even make his own scoring chances. We would let something like a little Twitter stop us?

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:13 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Perhaps some light shed on potentially why the CBJ wouldn't have drafted Yakupov?
Recognize the cute blond that Yak is supposedly flirting with?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Recognize the cute blond that Yak is supposedly flirting with?
You mean the one holding the microphone? With the local sports-talk station's logo on it?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:29 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You mean the one holding the microphone? With the local sports-talk station's logo on it?
That's the one.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
That's the one.
Then nope.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Miss Lori Schmidt....

I'd recognize the hat anywhere....

Lori is really more of a ginger than a blonde....

Old
06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Who do you think is going to draft you? China... lol, nice.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Lori is really more of a ginger than a blonde....
If that's the case you can't tell in that pic.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

maybe something, maybe not...but both our Goalie draft picks were taken in the top 5 of the CHL import draft this morning...

Dansk to Erie
Korpisalo to Prince George

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:30 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
maybe something, maybe not...but both our Goalie draft picks were taken in the top 5 of the CHL import draft this morning...

Dansk to Erie
Heck we might have a great goalie by 2017. Interesting that is the case. Thanks.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Heck we might have a great goalie by 2017. Interesting that is the case. Thanks.
The more pressing question is, can we have at least a competent one by October? I do like what I read about the two draftees, but I think you're right that not much should be expected of them for several years.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Dansk to Erie
I'll err this on the side of "sounding like a bigger deal then it is".... I'm glad, but its not that big of a deal....

Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I'll err this on the side of "sounding like a bigger deal then it is".... I'm glad, but its not that big of a deal....
I've been told taht most of the teams have agreements already in place with the players they draft, especially at the top.

06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Thats your personal definition of trolling, which actually seems to be describing satire.

In every sense he's a professional troll, posting inflammatory, superfluous material with the intent to draw an emotional response(the comment section) while getting paid to do so

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

Dansk to Erie
Most excellent; I'll be seeing plenty of Korpisalo this year. Looking forward to providing updates.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Skraut

Quote:

Dansk to Erie
Cool, I just may have to make the 2 hour drive and see Dansk play.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Cool, I just may have to make the 2 hour drive and see Dansk play.
I'm actually thinking of taking the kids up, 3-4 hours each way . Seeing Connor McDavid play might alone be worth the trip.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anyone been able to bring up the post-draft segment of Cannon Fodder that is listed on the PuckRakers site (#142, I think)?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Has anyone been able to bring up the post-draft segment of Cannon Fodder that is listed on the PuckRakers site (#142, I think)?
Don't know if you're still having problems, Pete, but it came up in my RSS Feed. I think that means it should be up on the website by now as well.

RSS Feed means it automatically downloads in my music software just in case you didn't know. Gotta play it safe when it comes to tech and the older gentlemen, ya know

Last edited by Matthew: 06-27-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote