HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
  #201
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Thats the problem when kids are 16-17-18 years old.....you never know what the final outcome will be especially for north europeans that often are very late blooming.
Yeah,but its great that he will play in NCAA against grown men 23-24 year olds,so it wont be such shock going into AHL and then NHL.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
  #202
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah,but its great that he will play in NCAA against grown men 23-24 year olds,so it wont be such shock going into AHL and then NHL.
Thats whats great about the danish league. Young talents can start to play in the pro division 1 with adults when they are 16 (like Oliver Bjørkstrand).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:03 AM
  #203
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Thats whats great about the danish league. Young talents can start to play in the pro division 1 with adults when they are 16 (like Oliver Bjørkstrand).
Yeah its important to have the young talents used to playing with someone whos stronger and bigger than them,so they would put emphasis on gaining muscle and getting buffer.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:06 AM
  #204
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah its important to have the young talents used to playing with someone whos stronger and bigger than them,so they would put emphasis on gaining muscle and getting buffer.
It takes awhile for the body to get used to being smashed. For some time you body will be stunned until it learn it....basis of all martial arts training. The faster they get used to it, the faster they will also learn to protect themselves accordingly. But going directly into a hard hitting league can also give them severe injuries, so it has to be a gradual process.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:11 AM
  #205
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
It takes awhile for the body to get used to being smashed. For some time you body will be stunned until it learn it....basis of all martial arts training. The faster they get used to it, the faster they will also learn to protect themselves accordingly. But going directly into a hard hitting league can also give them severe injuries, so it has to be a gradual process.
Agreed,its also important to have a compotent coach who knows whats best for the young rookie and can tell what exercises he should be doing and so on.Maybe this is the reason some prefer KHL over NHL less physical play i mean look at this guy Mikhail anisin http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19484 look at his size and then look at last few of his seasons,imagine if he tried playing in the NHL? hed be killed.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
  #206
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Agreed,its also important to have a compotent coach who knows whats best for the young rookie and can tell what exercises he should be doing and so on.Maybe this is the reason some prefer KHL over NHL less physical play i mean look at this guy Mikhail anisin http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19484 look at his size and then look at last few of his seasons,imagine if he tried playing in the NHL? hed be killed.
Anisin is 1.64 ...but look at his play off stats this year. Amazing!
Yeah I have always been a huge fan of russian style hockey (thats why Yemelin pissed me so much off this WC with all his christiano ronaldo dives) with speed and passing over smashing. I mean it is fun to see small players

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
  #207
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Anisin is 1.64 ...but look at his play off stats this year. Amazing!
Yeah I have always been a huge fan of russian style hockey (thats why Yemelin pissed me so much off this WC with all his christiano ronaldo dives) with speed and passing over smashing. I mean it is fun to see small players
I honestly think if hed have frame of lets say Girgensons,he would be playing in NHL for sure right now.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:26 AM
  #208
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I honestly think if hed have frame of lets say Girgensons,he would be playing in NHL for sure right now.
Well what is very positive about KHL is that it gives the opportunity for a superb league for the technical undersized players. In the end it's probably more fun to watch than NHL if the mega-man project continues. The amount of early drafted d-men this year shows that tendancy...."we need bigger guns" .....so we end up with "dicke bertha" (german cannon from WW1)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicke_Bertha
- maybe that could be what they should call Frederik Andersen and his 112 kg in goal.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
  #209
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Well what is very positive about KHL is that it gives the opportunity for a superb league for the technical undersized players. In the end it's probably more fun to watch than NHL if the mega-man project continues. The amount of early drafted d-men this year shows that tendancy...."we need bigger guns" .....so we end up with "dicke bertha" (german cannon from WW1)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicke_Bertha
- maybe that could be what they should call Frederik Andersen and his 112 kg in goal.
Yeah i mean some time ago you were wondering why Mikelis Redlihs wasnt drafted,he has the skill but hes only 1 80 cm its really on the boarder and considering they werent willing to take such players from small countries its understandable why he wasnt drafted.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:33 AM
  #210
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah i mean some time ago you were wondering why Mikelis Redlihs wasnt drafted,he has the skill but hes only 1 80 cm its really on the boarder and considering they werent willing to take such players from small countries its understandable why he wasnt drafted.
We can only hope that if Canada/USA totally fail on big rink in Sochi...then they might actually talk about implementing the intermediate finnish rink in north america. That would be good for hockey in the long run IMO.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  #211
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
We can only hope that if Canada/USA totally fail on big rink in Sochi...then they might actually talk about implementing the intermediate finnish rink in north america. That would be good for hockey in the long run IMO.
I dont know man even of they fail miserably, i`m not convinced NHL or any NA league will change the rink sizes.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  #212
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Actually for USA this WC one of their best players was Ryan Lasch that simply owned SM-liiga this season. Also an overlooked short guy (never even drafted)
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12382
He proved that taking unknown Euro-players for big rinks might not be such a bad idea for USA or Canada!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:39 AM
  #213
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Actually for USA this WC one of their best players was Ryan Lasch that simply owned SM-liiga this season. Also an overlooked short guy (never even drafted)
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12382
He proved that taking unknown Euro-players for big rinks might not be such a bad idea for USA or Canada!
Hell play AHL next season probably will try to get into the NHL

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
  #214
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I dont know man even of they fail miserably, i`m not convinced NHL or any NA league will change the rink sizes.
No it has to be a fan pressure..that will hit their pockets. Only shame can bring that about because the north american public love their hockey fights. I always found these hockey fights silly...it feels almost staged for the public. You can make an NHL career taking penalty like Zenon Konopka
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10994
Appropriately he has a fightning picture..check his penalty minutes!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:45 AM
  #215
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
No it has to be a fan pressure..that will hit their pockets. Only shame can bring that about because the north american public love their hockey fights. I always found these hockey fights silly...it feels almost staged for the public. You can make an NHL career taking penalty like Zenon Konopka
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10994
Appropriately he has a fightning picture..check his penalty minutes!
This guys playing on the same team daugavins does- Senators,funny that daugavins was replaced during playoff by this guy because they needed someone who will provoke ranger players and fight.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
  #216
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
But one things for sure guys like Regin for Denmark and Girgensons and Bluger for Latvia opened NHL scout eyes to players form our countries,hope this trend continues.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
  #217
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
This guys playing on the same team daugavins does Senators,funny that daugavins was replaced during playoff by this guy because they needed someone who will provoke ranger players and fight.
yeah .....thats what i mean is silly. I want to see good hockey. Changing a good player for a boxer. Luckily Canada got punished in WC by Slovakia for this kind of undisciplined game (Getzlaf and his 5 min penalty). On big ice penalties hurts a lot more than on a small rink...as it should be! Norway really showed that to other teams!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
  #218
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
But one things for sure guys like Regin for Denmark and Girgensons and Bluger for Latvia opened NHL scout eyes to players form our countries,hope this trend continues.
Yeah who would ever had thought that Denmark would outdraft Slovakia (that got none this year!!!!!!!!)

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
  #219
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yeah who would ever had thought that Denmark would outdraft Slovakia (that got none this year!!!!!!!!)
Yeah,but honestly i`m kind of worried about slovakias hockey future it looks like its getting worse and worse every year if they dont do something it can end bad for them.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
  #220
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah,but honestly i`m kind of worried about slovakias hockey future it looks like its getting worse and worse every year if they dont do something it can end bad for them.
It's strange. Almost every country goes forward hockeywise or at least at a stand still, but Ukraine and Slovakia are the ones that are slipping down.
Belarus and Latvia is probably keeping level they have had for many years.
But Norway, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, France are all just getting better and better.

Even the czech only had 6...also very low for being them!
But Sweden just rolls out masses of NHL drafts at the moment!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:06 AM
  #221
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
It's strange. Almost every country goes forward hockeywise or at least at a stand still, but Ukraine and Slovakia are the ones that are slipping down.
Belarus and Latvia is probably keeping level they have had for many years.
But Norway, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, France are all just getting better and better.

Even the czech only had 6...also very low for being them!
But Sweden just rolls out masses of NHL drafts at the moment!
Well i would add belarus to those who are also slipping down and Latvia is getting better,because previously weve never had a first rounder and second rounder in one draft
Czechs are also not looking too good,but still better than slovakia,altough idk about norway,they better start producing some NHL draftees or they fall very fast.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
  #222
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Well i would add belarus to those who are also slipping down and Latvia is getting better,because previously weve never had a first rounder and second rounder in one draft
Czechs are also not looking too good,but still better than slovakia,altough idk about norway,they better start producing some NHL draftees or they fall very fast.
If you see the Belarus drafts...it seems faitly constant over the years
http://eliteprospects.com/draft_by_n...hp?NationID=23
I dont see them in danger of falling in skill level...its just that the other nations are getting better so they will have to fight to stay up...but so we all have to do the next years!

What i mean is the Latvia have had a high level for many years...it just a small country so the really good players comes unevenly. You have be wait for Irbe, Balderis and Ozolins class to resurface...maybe you have the next bunch coming. But Latvia is solid elite division with an occasional QF..and that will probably continue.

With Norway it's first after Sochi they will start having problems.....their best players are peaking right now. But even without NHL players they have so many good players in SEL and allsvenskan it's only QF chance they will lose. They will retain a skill level to stay up in elite.
Norwegian players in Europe.....check number in SEL!
http://eliteprospects.com/stats_by_c...s&continent=EU

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
  #223
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
If you see the Belarus drafts...it seems faitly constant over the years
http://eliteprospects.com/draft_by_n...hp?NationID=23
I dont see them in danger of falling in skill level...its just that the other nations are getting better so they will have to fight to stay up...but so we all have to do the next years!

What i mean is the Latvia have had a high level for many years...it just a small country so the really good players comes unevenly. You have be wait for Irbe, Balderis and Ozolins class to resurface...maybe you have the next bunch coming. But Latvia is solid elite division with an occasional QF..and that will probably continue.

With Norway it's first after Sochi they will start having problems.....their best players are peaking right now. But even without NHL players they have so many good players in SEL and allsvenskan it's only QF chance they will lose. They will retain a skill level to stay up in elite.
Norwegian players in Europe.....check number in SEL!
http://eliteprospects.com/stats_by_c...s&continent=EU
Well maybe im getting spoiled but in next years say 2014,2015,2016 i expect minimum of 3 players in the draft in one year and maxiumum of 5 players.
But yeah right now of all strong teams Slovakia looks the worst.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
  #224
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Well maybe im getting spoiled but in next years say 2014,2015,2016 i expect minimum of 3 players in the draft in one year and maxiumum of 5 players.
But yeah right now of all strong teams Slovakia looks the worst.
Well since it was like 20 years ago you last was getting spoiled...you deserve after so long a wait!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
  #225
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
But Ukraine takes the record in hopelessness.....not a single draft since 2002!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.