HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Coach Speculation Thread - Part III: Krueger to be named head coach -TSN

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2012, 07:08 AM
  #1001
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
He was known as the king of trap hockey for a decade internationally with the Swiss national team. That might be all their going to do is play defense.
oh my god what.

you don't follow the WC's closely do you? in late Krueger years his team was gunning as much as it could while lacking any Niederreiter-rated offensive talent. Pluss' line was pure joy to watch, and all this while being really tight on defense but not just letting the Hiller/Stefan/Gerber save their ***** but actually trying to play defense. if he had two decent scoring lines at his hands simultaneously, not one, the team could be doing real things. then Simpson comes and has a younger and more gifted core and boom - they are now trying to trap and aren't making the playoffs. still that plug Sutter had some hardest time beating them and had to have his a** saved by Eberle. i don't want it on the Oilers, we already had it with Renney.
Krueger is one of the more successful and intriguing European coaches of the last decade or two, has a nice portfolio and is already familiar with the squad. i'd better give him a try than pursue some half-proven mediocrity in Sutter.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
  #1002
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Truly epic. I'd stick with the four young stars and Krueger, myself, but...damn some of you photoshoppers are skilled. Gotta learn me some PS soon.
I didn't do that one I just wanted permission to add to it haha.

Valic is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
  #1003
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,674
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I didn't do that one I just wanted permission to add to it haha.
Go for it. I think the roman numeral guy did the title/date changes. Roman numeral guy rules.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
  #1004
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
oh my god what.

you don't follow the WC's closely do you? in late Krueger years his team was gunning as much as it could while lacking any Niederreiter-rated offensive talent. Pluss' line was pure joy to watch, and all this while being really tight on defense but not just letting the Hiller/Stefan/Gerber save their ***** but actually trying to play defense. if he had two decent scoring lines at his hands simultaneously, not one, the team could be doing real things. then Simpson comes and has a younger and more gifted core and boom - they are now trying to trap and aren't making the playoffs. still that plug Sutter had some hardest time beating them and had to have his a** saved by Eberle. i don't want it on the Oilers, we already had it with Renney.
Krueger is one of the more successful and intriguing European coaches of the last decade or two, has a nice portfolio and is already familiar with the squad. i'd better give him a try than pursue some half-proven mediocrity in Sutter.
What do the WC's, international hockey, and big ice have to do with the nhl?

Oh, that's right, nothing!

Krueger or any other coach that would be hired by the Oilers is set up to fail right off the bat.

Without major roster changes (there wont be) this is a lottery team.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
  #1005
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
Krueger is one of the more successful and intriguing European coaches of the last decade or two, has a nice portfolio and is already familiar with the squad. i'd better give him a try than pursue some half-proven mediocrity in Sutter.
Absolutely. There's a degree of familiarity in Kruger because he's been here for a while, and I think that kind of undermines what a fresh choice he is (and was, when he first came over).

A good choice? Only time will tell. But it's definitely an original choice, and clearly merit-based.

Compared to Sutter, who has done eff all at the NHL level but bail on 2 NHL teams after leading them to profound mediocrity and underachievement? This choice is a breath of fresh air.

JonQuixote is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
  #1006
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Absolutely. There's a degree of familiarity in Kruger because he's been here for a while, and I think that kind of undermines what a fresh choice he is (and was, when he first came over).

A good choice? Only time will tell. But it's definitely an original choice, and clearly merit-based.

Compared to Sutter, who has done eff all at the NHL level but bail on 2 NHL teams after leading them to profound mediocrity and underachievement? This choice is a breath of fresh air.
Merit based?

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
  #1007
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Without major roster changes (there wont be) this is a lottery team.
I disagree. This team will only go as far as the kids are able to carry it, when they're ready to carry it.

Major roster changes won't change that, unless it's blowing out the young core in exchange for older, ready-now top line players (with worse contracts, less potential).

Another top-4 defenseman and some goaltending insurance (either a reliable vet or other promising neophyte in case Dubnyk falters under a full load) would certainly help.

But there's no magic GM fix for this team. It's all about Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Petry, Dubnyk and now Yakupov (And to a lesser extent, Paajarvi, Gagner, and Smid).

This team goes as far as they can carry. And nothing is going to change that. All the team can do is protect and maybe slightly expedite the process (which, to some degree, they have).

But the kids will have to keep performing at a high (or higher) level while facing increasingly tougher competition. Once they can do it regularly, we'll be in the playoffs.

And not before. Unless we want to give up on the youth movement.

JonQuixote is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
  #1008
Oilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,148
vCash: 500
New thread is up!

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.