HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Where does Gerbe fit in going forward?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Where does Gerbe fit in going forward?

He seems to get lost in the shuffle when the top 9 is talked about in various threads.

As of right now the potential lines:

Leino/Roy/Pommer
Tropp/Hodgson/Vanek
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford
Gerbe/McCormick/Kaleta
Ellis

Obviously things will change if we make a trade or two altering the roster.

Is he really a 4th liner?

He's shown an ability to handle bigger ES minutes -vs- tougher competition and play very solid defensively. Maybe get a shot on LW with the Hodgson/Vanek line to give it some speed. To be perfectly honest I would rather see him there than Tropp and thats not a slight on Tropp.

Thoughts

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
HiddenInLight

With the current roster we have, our setup will probably be 3 scoring lines, and the 4th is a checking/shutdown line. He fits in as a shutdown guy quite well.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
With the current roster we have, our setup will probably be 3 scoring lines, and the 4th is a checking/shutdown line. He fits in as a shutdown guy quite well.
We're not going to have a shutdown line 4th line. A shutdown line by role would be getting at least the 2nd most ES ice time and thats not the 4th line. With the 3 line set up we ended the season with the Roy line had the primary defensive role and the 4th line rarely played. This wasn't like the pre-deadline team where we had a clearcut shutdown 3rd line or like earlier in the season when we had a 3a/3b setup at times.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
He fits somewhere. Looking at the player usage chart, he plays a high level of competition with a high amount of defensive zone starts. He brings an element of hustle, as well. While I'm not opposed to moving him, I think there's most certainly a spot on this roster for a player who brings what he does.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:32 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I feel like with his work ethic, he has a place somewhere. However, I don't think that's your 13 forwards going into camp.

June is a little early for this sort of discussion, IMO.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
OkimLom

Honestly, I would like to see him with Vanek. I would like to see what he does with more skilled players.

Maybe see something along the lines of (If no mmoves are made(ugh ))

Vanek-Hodgson-Gerbe
Leino-Roy-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Tropp-Ellis???-McCormick

I wouldn't re-sign Kaleta(too injury prone) even though I like how he plays on the defensive side of the game.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I feel like with his work ethic, he has a place somewhere. However, I don't think that's your 13 forwards going into camp.

June is a little early for this sort of discussion, IMO.
Too early?

How In the world can anyone post on this forum about trades or free agent targets without figuring out where our current group belongs? Thats how you get ideas on what types of players to target or what can be given up to get them.

Does Gerbe fit in the top 9 going forward? If so, who might he fit best with? If not, does he belong on the 4th line? Or should be be moved out to make room for players that are a better fit?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
punkr0x

I see Gerbe as a 4th line agitator going forward. He's willing to go at anybody and I think a players are likely to take dumb retaliation penalties against him. If the Sabres can find a center to fill Gaustad's role I'd like to see Gerbe and Kaleta stay together.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Too early?

How In the world can anyone post on this forum about trades or free agent targets without figuring out where our current group belongs? Thats how you get ideas on what types of players to target or what can be given up to get them.

Does Gerbe fit in the top 9 going forward? If so, who might he fit best with? If not, does he belong on the 4th line? Or should be be moved out to make room for players that are a better fit?
Just my personal opinion, that's all. It's June 27th. Free agency has yet to start, RFAs have been QO'd only, still need to be locked up. Arbitration hearings have yet to take place, which could generate other player movement.

I'm simply saying there's a lot to happen yet before the roster is even close to where one could make a reasonable judgement where a specific player would fit. Just my feeling on that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
barcs

Gerbe's engery, Kaleta's hits/mouth and an enforcer that doesn't look lost out there at center is my ideal 4th line.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Jame
Dream '16

He should be the LW on a real shutdown line... Leino, and his stupid contract blocks him from a role he deserves...

in a better world...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville - top line, receives opponent top checking
Gerbe-XXXX-Kaleta/Tropp/Leino - checking line, takes opponent top line
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford - feasts on the in between

edit : hopefully we trade Roy for XXXX

Last edited by Jame: 06-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
notHiro

With the amount of shuffling Lindy does, he fits in to a lot of places.

Also, no guarantees on any of the young guns making the big club out of training camp.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

6 goals, 19 assists in 62 games.

Is he a scoring player? He brings something, but he's got to produce more offensively this year if he's going to stay in the NHL.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Where can Gerbe fit? The overhead compartment

:rimshot:

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Where can Gerbe fit? The overhead compartment

:rimshot:
Thats not nice

Old
06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
We could see him cast in a Versteeg role as the shadow winger to eliminate a scoring threat -- he's embraced the shutdown part of his game rather than trying to be an undersized scorer. Right now, they have a lot of parts that again may not fit together for a true shutdown line as Leino remains more of a complimentary scoring guy than a defensive guy. FES seems to be set as the shielded line.

How about Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta? Or Broziak? Or maybe even Dom Moore?

06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
We could see him cast in a Versteeg role as the shadow winger to eliminate a scoring threat -- he's embraced the shutdown part of his game rather than trying to be an undersized scorer. Right now, they have a lot of parts that again may not fit together for a true shutdown line as Leino remains more of a complimentary scoring guy than a defensive guy. FES seems to be set as the shielded line.

How about Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta? Or Broziak? Or maybe even Dom Moore?
Oh my lord

the GDTs would be a mod nightmare

Old
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Oh my lord

the GDTs would be a mod nightmare
I'm down for that sort of mayhem. Him working in place of Tropp is a possibility -- I worry about Tropp's ability to stay healthy given his kamikaze style. But that then would put Hodgson and Vanek out as a possible shutdown role, at least so much as a D-zone start line and all that. Not sure that's their best use.

How about Gerbe - (As yet unacquired high-talent defensive center) - Pominville?

Throwing things at the wall here...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm down for that sort of mayhem.
I would be too. The amount of yapping from that group would be off the charts

Quote:
Him working in place of Tropp is a possibility -- I worry about Tropp's ability to stay healthy given his kamikaze style. But that then would put Hodgson and Vanek out as a possible shutdown role, at least so much as a D-zone start line and all that. Not sure that's their best use.
Hadn't thought about it in that sense and you're right its not their best use. But I was working under the assumption that Gerbe would be used on that line in a more offensive role.
Quote:
How about Gerbe - (As yet unacquired high-talent defensive center) - Pominville?

Throwing things at the wall here...
Its not a bad idea depending on the center. Particularly in light of Gerbe's emergence as a very good defensive player.

Part of the reason I started this thread was its tough to see where he fit best. He has a few possible roles but the current makeup of the team makes it tough to slot him.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
McTank

Id rather have him with vanek and hodge than tropp, but hopefully we'll have Ryan there

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:08 AM
McTank

Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta would be amazing, anyone think we could trade roy for ott straight up?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Well, I think this discussion shows what we can Gerbe use for.... I think he's a good depth player. His work ethic is great, you can put him on a scorer or checking line, he's not a one-dimensional player and his trade value isn't very high, so we should keep him and put him on a line after training camp. He's a guy you can always use on your team, I'm sure they'll find a nice spot for him in our roster.

Moreover, in my opinion it's pretty pointless to talk about line combinations before July 1st, we don't know what will happen on this date.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Leino is such a waste of space. Gerbe should be in his role, instead he's relegated to 4th grinder. Leino always seems to get in the way of good things you could do with this roster.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Just my personal opinion, that's all. It's June 27th. Free agency has yet to start, RFAs have been QO'd only, still need to be locked up. Arbitration hearings have yet to take place, which could generate other player movement.

I'm simply saying there's a lot to happen yet before the roster is even close to where one could make a reasonable judgement where a specific player would fit. Just my feeling on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Well, I think this discussion shows what we can Gerbe use for.... I think he's a good depth player. His work ethic is great, you can put him on a scorer or checking line, he's not a one-dimensional player and his trade value isn't very high, so we should keep him and put him on a line after training camp. He's a guy you can always use on your team, I'm sure they'll find a nice spot for him in our roster.

Moreover, in my opinion it's pretty pointless to talk about line combinations before July 1st, we don't know what will happen on this date.

I'm not asking for a specific line he belongs on. I'm asking where he fits in on the team.

- Is he a top 9 guy in a 3 line set up?
- Is he best suited to a checking role?
- should he be a 4th line energy player?
- should he be moved?

Using the line combos is a jumping off point for the disucussion.

How else can you discuss where a player belongs if you don't use the current depth chart and speculate on needs for the team? And how in the world is it too soon to discuss where he fits in? The point being is it could impact what happens on July 1st. Its no different than discussing where any other player fits in next year.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I thought last year that when Gerbe came back from his injury he could take Tropp's spot in the top 9, though that didn't happen.

IMO he could play there, but I'd like a bigger body in that spot. But the 4th line with the ability to move up in case on injury is not the worst thing for a guy as tenacious as him.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote