HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey's Past: Bernie Nicholls

Old
04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
bacchusbuddha

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bacchusbuddha
Hockey's Past: Bernie Nicholls

The Luc retirement thread got me thinking. The consensus is that it's pretty much a given that Luc's number will be retired. He was a fan favorite and put up some great numbers in a Kings uniform, so it's an obvious move, really.

So what about Bernie Nicholls? Couldn't the same be said for him to some degree? I don't remember if there was any acrimony at the time he was traded, but IIRC Luc wasn't too thrilled about being traded either. Bernie seemed to be pretty positive and obviously had a lot of fond memories in the "Crowning Moments" video.

Was it the length of his tenure? He was a King for nine seasons and Gretzky was only there for eight. (I know, Gretz has "superior credentials"...)

Does he have enough of a legacy with the organization? Maybe not. He's not the first "great" Kings player that comes to mind, but I would put him right behind Luc and the guys that do have their numbers in the rafters.

Anyway, here are Bernie's stats. Good, but not great?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3958

He was always one of my favorite players in the entire league, but I was all of 13 years old during his last season as a King. Do any of the elder members of the board know of why there hasn't been any talk of having his number retired by the Kings?

It kind of seems like a case of close, but not quite to me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

bacchusbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Bernies number should be retired. Good call bacchus.

Old
04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
No way you retire his number... not enough true heritage there. He had a few great seasons, but next thing you know you'd want Charlie Simmer's number retired too... Butch Goring... Rob Blake... Mike Murphy...

The Kings as an organization have won nothing. Some good players and some good careers, but retire uniform numbers of guys that are shoo-ins for the Hall Of Fame... Bernie... not going.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
No way you retire his number... not enough true heritage there. He had a few great seasons, but next thing you know you'd want Charlie Simmer's number retired too... Butch Goring... Rob Blake... Mike Murphy...

The Kings as an organization have won nothing. Some good players and some good careers, but retire uniform numbers of guys that are shoo-ins for the Hall Of Fame... Bernie... not going.

Agree. I was a huge Nichols fan, and was really pissed off when he got traded, but he was never a huge part of this franchise. He put up good numbers, but he wasn't a team leader, and nor was he ever THAT dedicated to the sport of hockey in general.

04-11-2006, 07:07 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Bernie had flashes of brilliance.... not long after he was called up he had something ridiculous like 9 goals in 3 or 4 games, he put the nail in the Oilers' coffin in Game 5 in '82 ("Do the Pumper-Nicholl Bernie, Yeahhhh") and he is one of only a handful of players to score 70 goals in a season, but I don't think he's a legitimate candidate for number retirement.

If anybody should have his number retired by the Kings it should be Steve Carlson. As the only Hanson Brother to make the NHL I think it would only be fitting to include him

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 08:30 AM
levacktrash

Bernie was exciting and unusually strong for his size. He played a very physical game and always carried a chip on his shoulder towards whoever was checking him too close. He looked unstoppable the year he scored 70 goals.

I just don't think he played enough seasons in a King's uniform.

I don't think his situation fits into Lieweke's formula for on ice celebrations. Nichols is not that popular now and retiring his sweater wouldn't draw anymore fans to the rink.

levacktrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
KingsCourt

Bernie was my favorite King of all time, a close second #99.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:51 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI
If anybody should have his number retired by the Kings it should be Steve Carlson. As the only Hanson Brother to make the NHL I think it would only be fitting to include him
You would sure get an argument from Dave Hanson, who most certainly played in the NHL with both the Red Wings and the North Stars. Steve's brother Jeff, the third "Hanson Brother" was the only one of them NOT to play in the NHL, though he did play in the WHA with the Minnesota Fighting Saints.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:30 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
You would sure get an argument from Dave Hanson, who most certainly played in the NHL with both the Red Wings and the North Stars. Steve's brother Jeff, the third "Hanson Brother" was the only one of them NOT to play in the NHL, though he did play in the WHA with the Minnesota Fighting Saints.
I stand corrected.

Okay, he was the only Hanson Brother NOT actually named Hanson to play in the NHL

Old
04-11-2006, 02:32 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
I stand corrected.

Okay, he was the only Hanson Brother NOT actually named Hanson to play in the NHL
Wrong again...

The Hanson Brothers were Steve and Jeff Carlson, and Dave Hanson.

Old
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

I give up ! LOL

I just need some sleep, that's all

Old
04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I just need some sleep, that's all
Wrong AGAIN!!!

OK, just kidding

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 09:13 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Wrong AGAIN!!!

OK, just kidding

STOP IT!!!!!!!! LMAO

Old
04-11-2006, 09:16 PM
ILuvLA

To get back on the topic of PumperNicholl.... NO ONE wore uglier clothes in the 80's than Bernie!

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote