HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes to Sabres Broadcasting- Ray Color, Neale Studio, Duff full time, Sly Radio

Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
cybresabre
Boooo custard.

vCash: 1026
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Wow, really? He sucks at this point?

I must be ignorant as hell, because aside from occasionally misspeaking and saying the wrong player's name (which he usually quickly corrects), I still enjoy RJ's calls as much as ever.

"OFF THE GOAL-POST!"
lol

RJ has to get A LOT worse before I'd even consider wanting him gone.
Spot on, he's still got it.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Sylvester spoke enthusiastically about his new radio venture, while admitting that he will miss traveling to road games as part of the television team.

"This is my fourth stint on WGR; that station can't seem to shake me," he said, laughing.

Sylvester went from college at Fredonia right to WGR in the mid 1990s. He later worked for WBEN 930, then moved to Charlotte, N.C., and did a radio show there for two years. He returned to WGR in 2002 as morning show co-host, to work for the Sabres in 2005, and now will be on the station each weekday. He has also hosted a radio golf show for the past seven years.
Quote:
Sylvester is executive producer as well as host of the new radio show, which will be broadcast from the team's retail store at First Niagara Center. He remains a Sabres employee, so don't expect to hear much franchise bashing on "Sabres Hockey Hotline." But he's unlikely to run out of things to talk about, even in hot-weather months.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle907430.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Afino
The Juice

It's exactly what we expected it to be - a 2-hour long "everything is good!" daily piece

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:35 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
It's exactly what we expected it to be - a 2-hour long "everything is good!" daily piece
Potentially still better than Cowherd...

jamers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
After listening to 10 minutes of his interview with McCormick, it made me grateful that Sylvester's vain attempts at humor and shallow insights won't be forced on us during games next season. He's a typical talk-show host - someone who loves to hear himself talk and will ramble on just for the sake of it.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I'm torn about Rob Ray.

On one hand, I think he's under-rated at analysis and provides some interesting insight that I don't always hear elsewhere.
On the other hand, he can't articulate and that can he grating.
This is how I feel. Overall it's probably a lateral move with Neale.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Duffman full time OHHH YEAH!!!!!

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
MayDay

Listened to most of Sylvester's new show.

Seemed a bit overly defensive and over-sensitive about the fact that as a Sabres employee he can't offer a completely objective and unfiltered opinion.

Dude, we get it. It's fine. Most people understand that you can't bash your employer in public. Talk about what you can talk about and find a better way of dealing with what you can't.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Seemed a bit overly defensive and over-sensitive about the fact that as a Sabres employee he can't offer a completely objective and unfiltered opinion.

Dude, we get it. It's fine. Most people understand that you can't bash your employer in public. Talk about what you can talk about and find a better way of dealing with what you can't.
What's amusing is that Sylvester probably walked into the WGR studios today and overheard the morning show crew (Simon, White, Hamilton) giving unbiased views of the team and then heard Schopp & Bulldog prepping for their show as he was leaving the studios. I can imagine Sylvester feeling weird in having to limit any of his own criticisms of the team while the rest of the WGR personalities go off about the team whenever they want.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
What's amusing is that Sylvester probably walked into the WGR studios today and overheard the morning show crew (Simon, White, Hamilton) giving unbiased views of the team and then heard Schopp & Bulldog prepping for their show as he was leaving the studios. I can imagine Sylvester feeling weird in having to limit any of his own criticisms of the team while the rest of the WGR personalities go off about the team whenever they want.
The thing is, I'm totally fine with having someone with that perspective on the radio.

Doesn't mean he has to sing the praises of every player in a Sabres uniform, but I understand he can't out-right bash the organization. That's fine. He shouldn't apologize for it.

We already have plenty of that from other talk-shows and in the paper.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

I only listened to the first 20 minutes so far but he's probably just laying the groundwork for the show. I doubt he'll keep harping on that aspect unless he really has to due to a caller prodding him. Anyhow, the show's none too shabby so far and this is definitely a better place for Sylvester. Duff is obviously a far more ideal StudioMaster (tm).

Old
06-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Squantosawuss

Why would WGR have a guy on the air who really cannot give his honest opinion every day?

There is NO WAY Sylvester is going to say what sometimes NEEDS to be said, because he's obviously part of a deal between the Sabres and WGR---one that has a propaganda minister injected into the M-F lineup. This is a big WIN for the Sabre's organization and a LOSS for anyone expecting the straight scoop.

My guess is this was a bone tossed the Sabre's way by WGR to make them feel as if they won't be playing second fiddle to the Bills come the Fall.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:54 AM
dugman

On the other hand, I would rather listen to 2 hours of Gilbert Gottfried talking about women's health issues that Cowherd, so I'm willing to try Sylvester for a while.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
FearRipSimonick

I thought today's show with Jeremy White was far and away better than any of the Kevin Sylvester shows. Now I wouldn't want him or Simon to regularly host it because I already hear their takes on the Sabres on their show and that would be a bit repetitive after a while. But Sylvester, employee conflicts aside, is just not a fun dude to listen to. He's a bit too chummy and awkward. I respect the fact that he works hard to keep up with the team and the game, but I find myself only listening when they have interviews I want to hear. When it's him talking, eh...I turn on music.

If the Sabres really want Hockey Hotline to work and stir up the 10-12, they should either get a real radio guy and let Sly produce or have Sly host but always have some kind of guest co-host rotating every day (You know Andrew Peters would be game for at least a day a week). Or put Roby up there and see how quickly we can actually hear Roby get pissed at Sylvester. Either way, just Sly droning is going to get old fast for 10 hrs/week.

FearRipSimonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Sabretip

From day 2 of TBN's draft blog:

Quote:
12:17 Comment From The RickThe Rick: ]
I am watchin NHL Network and see Duff doing the draft coverage is he going to be with the Sabres exclusively after this weekend?

12:18 John Vogl: I've heard he is available in July for Buffalo. I do know he's relocating from Toronto to the B-lo this summer
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Old
06-23-2012, 06:35 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

<3 Duff

jamers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
My guess is this was a bone tossed the Sabre's way by WGR to make them feel as if they won't be playing second fiddle to the Bills come the Fall.
It's more like the Sabres tossed WGR a filet mignon. This is a long-term guaranteed revenue stream for WGR. Essentially it's paid programming like an infomertial.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
RJ to do every game per Hockey Hotline.
Quote:
SabresHockeyHotline @SabresHotline
In case you missed the announcement... Rick Jeanneret will do the ‪#Sabres‬ play-by-play for every game this upcoming season!

Link: https://twitter.com/SabresHotline/st...82015839019008

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
RJ to do every game per Hockey Hotline.
Wow... did not expect him to take back THAT many games. Does that mean even the West Coast trip?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Taro Tsujimoto

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Wow... did not expect him to take back THAT many games. Does that mean even the West Coast trip?
Sure does. Every game means EVERY game. Though it is surprising that he's even calling those particular games.

And there's two western trips: One to Edmonton, Calgary, and Colorado, and one to San Jose, Phoenix, and Anaheim.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Sylvester is an even bigger disaster on the radio then he was before. Listening to him bash Boyes and defend Lindy is painful.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
It's been a rough morning for that show. Callers are yelling and screaming, Sly is getting flustered and yelling back at them. He's going to have a rough ride if he believes that all callers are going to be entirely pro- organization. I shudder to think what'll happen during the team's first losing streak.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
CrankyJay

Wow...I wonder if Neale moving to the studio away from color is what enticed RJ to come back full time?

Feel bad for KSly...he got ousted. I didn't mind him doing the studio stuff, but his commentary was awful.

It's like the Sabres organization is really taking those survey results seriously.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's been a rough morning for that show. Callers are yelling and screaming, Sly is getting flustered and yelling back at them. He's going to have a rough ride if he believes that all callers are going to be entirely pro- organization. I shudder to think what'll happen during the team's first losing streak.
I didn't listen today, but frankly I have no problem with a host going hard back at callers if they get on the air and act like jerks.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Take that $5.7 million... Tootoo!

Sylvester trolling the radio callers, I love it.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote