HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves V: Ott 5 Hanzal

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Selanne00008

vCash: 500
Does anaheim have any bad contracts they can unload to us with Ryan and we can stash in minors? Anything at all?

Then we move Roy, + for Ryan + bad contract.

Pegula power.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's not going to be about money or giving him the best contract. I think if Doan determines that he must leave Phoenix, it's going to be about finding the best situation in which to win a Stanley Cup. The guy is 35 and didn't win a playoff series until this year. And Sabres fans think he's going to come to Buffalo, where the team has missed the playoffs in three of the last five seasons and hasn't won a playoff series during that period, just because we offer him an additional million or two? Very doubtful.

If he comes east at all, I suspect it'll be to play for someone like the Penguins, not the Sabres.
It would have to be one hell of a salesman job by Teppo in particular to get him to Buffalo. I could see Doan replacing Jagr in Philly, since it looks like they're not going to have JJ back in Black and Orange, or on Crosby's wing in Pittsburgh. With no connection to the team outside of Numminen, without the contender status, and perhaps even with the over-35 rules... is it a good fit? It doesn't seem like it from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Does anaheim have any bad contracts they can unload to us with Ryan and we can stash in minors? Anything at all?

Then we move Roy, + for Ryan + bad contract.

Pegula power.
The issue for Anaheim is that both Getzlaf and Perry are up next year and so then is Roy. The 2C Anaheim would likely want is either Ennis or Hodgson as part of the deal for Ryan.

06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The issue for Anaheim is that both Getzlaf and Perry are up next year and so then is Roy. The 2C Anaheim would likely want is either Ennis or Hodgson as part of the deal for Ryan.
Yep, agreed, and I think they'd favor Hodgson because of the limited sample size of Ennis at center, Hodgson is a little bit more of a two-way player, etc. I truly think if we want Ryan, the best case scenario for us is Hodgson + Pysyk + Adam/2nd rounder on the low end, and the worst case scenario is Hodgson + McNabb/Foligno + 2013 1st--and, don't get me wrong, I don't think Darcy touches that second package.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
McTank

Anyone think with the russian factor being such a big thing these days that semins price may fall July 1st? If interest in semin really drops like it did with grigs Id be all for a cheaper semin deal, 4 mil per year maybe

Old
06-27-2012, 12:20 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Posting rumors isn't allowed in a speculation thread. O.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Anyone think with the russian factor being such a big thing these days that semins price may fall July 1st? If interest in semin really drops like it did with grigs Id be all for a cheaper semin deal, 4 mil per year maybe
I believe and some people have said. Granted its what they've said so you take it with a grain of salt, but if the rumors are true that we're trying to get Bobby Ryan and if that falls out. They said the Sabres have him targeted as a backup plan if the price isn't to insane. Granted you can't really believe most of this stuff.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Posting rumors isn't allowed in a speculation thread. O.
Not from a source thats blocked by this site.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Not really...if he's signed, he's signed, he won't bolt during that contract.

The Russian factor really only applies to draft picks because they might stay in Russia and not sign, or leave when they hit RFA--which makes the draft pick investment not worth it as much.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Selanne00008

I would at the minimum look at Semin. I seem to recall a couple of playoff games where he really took over and dominated when Ovie was no where to be found.

Maybe Lindy can right the Semin ship. (Semi sarcasm)

Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I would at the minimum look at Semin. I seem to recall a couple of playoff games where he really took over and dominated when Ovie was no where to be found.

Maybe Lindy can right the Semin ship. (Semi sarcasm)
I wouldn't want Semin getting anywhere near Armia, Grigorenko, and Girgensons.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He is?! Why?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
He is?! Why?
Take it up with the administrators -- complaints@hfboards.com. In the meantime, he's blocked.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Take it up with the administrators -- complaints@hfboards.com. In the meantime, he's blocked.
I have no complaints I was just wondering why. He seems refutable. Called the Kruger(spelling) hiring.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I did it earlier. Post was deleted.

I shall now call him "He-who-shall-not-be-named"

Because I chuckle when I think about it.

and rumor mongers are secretly dark wizards...

freaking slytherins.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Not really...if he's signed, he's signed, he won't bolt during that contract.

The Russian factor really only applies to draft picks because they might stay in Russia and not sign, or leave when they hit RFA--which makes the draft pick investment not worth it as much.
Didnt radulov bolt in the middle of his contract?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Yes, but he's the only one. But that also had to do with him being stuck on his ELC IIRC, and that contributes to the draft "russian factor"

A UFA like Semin is less of a flight risk like that. And even if he did bolt, there's really no loss of asset (unlike drafting, where it becomes a loss of a pick).

Old
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Yes, and as a result there are now rules and agreements to prevent that that didn't exist at the time.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Aww come onnn. Whats the worst that could happen? teehee
Maybe we should look at it like we want Girgenson and his work ethic to get to Semin. If Semin sees this/these 19 year old boys workin their ass off maybe he will too.. (semi serious) haha

Old
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
The Hodgson-Ennis thread got me thinking, does anyone believe that Ryan would have scored 30 goals four straight seasons with Derek Roy or Tim Connolly? I really feal like giving up Ennis for Ryan would go down as one of the worst trades in Sabres history.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:14 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
The Hodgson-Ennis thread got me thinking, does anyone believe that Ryan would have scored 30 goals four straight seasons with Derek Roy or Tim Connolly? I really feal like giving up Ennis for Ryan would go down as one of the worst trades in Sabres history.
Ryan was bounced up and down the Ducks lineup last season and still managed to pot 30 goals.

I think he'd do just fine here.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Having not paid attention to him all season, does Jamie Langenbrunner have anything left in the tank or is he all washed up at this point? He's a UFA.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't understand what this means. I'm with FSE on this one, at least as far as some posters' misconception of Semin as a lazy Russian. The guy works and is willing to play all 200 feet. I'm not necessarily advocating throwing a huge, long-term deal at him, but this ridiculous default perception that Russian players are lazy and don't care has to end--recall that this was many's perception of Kovy, as well, until this past playoffs, as if he just started caring then and there.

The irony will come when you, and many other posters, fight tooth and nail against the perception as it's applied to Grigorenko over the next year or two.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
I don't understand what this means. I'm with FSE on this one, at least as far as some posters' misconception of Semin as a lazy Russian. The guy works and is willing to play all 200 feet. I'm not necessarily advocating throwing a huge, long-term deal at him, but this ridiculous default perception that Russian players are lazy and don't care has to end--recall that this many's perception of Kovy, as well, until this past playoffs, as if he just started caring then and there.

The irony will come when you, and many other posters, fight tooth and nail against the perception as it's applied to Grigorenko over the next year or two.
The difference with Semin is he could be a defensive beast at times, and others he just looks like he's going through the motions. He's inconsistent, and it's not a matter of talent--the talent is there.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The difference with Semin is he could be a defensive beast at times, and others he just looks like he's going through the motions. He's inconsistent, and it's not a matter of talent--the talent is there.
A lot of players are inconsistent. He's not a superstar, but some people believed he was after his two big seasons. Frankly, I believed many of the same things about Semin until I watched him on a regular basis living here in a Caps home market. The guy works. I think he struggles with confidence from time to time and becomes overly reliant on his shot tool, which is excellent but shooting% comes and goes. I think the concern that he'd be a negative influence on other players is unfounded.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
A lot of players are inconsistent. He's not a superstar, but some people believed he was after his two big seasons. Frankly, I believed many of the same things about Semin until I watched him on a regular basis living here in a Caps home market. The guy works. I think he struggles with confidence from time to time and becomes overly reliant on his shot tool, which is excellent but shooting% comes and goes. I think the concern that he'd be a negative influence on other players is unfounded.
This. I moved into Caps territory recently, and watching the guy regularly, this myth that he's (defensively) lazy is just that: a myth.

Closed Thread