HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr signs with Dallas; 1 year, $4.5M (post #253)

Old
06-21-2012, 12:03 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
It makes some sense for the Flames to add Jagr though, I assume the idea is to pair him with Cervenka and they were pretty good together in the KHL iirc. It would most likely help with the transition for Cervenka, and if he can become a solid 2nd line center for the Flames they've filled a position they've been lacking somewhat in the past.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Apparently Jay Feaster in Calgary is interested in making a pitch for Jagr. It would be interesting to see what Feaster is willing to offer Jagr. If he offers Jaromir a contract that's like 4 million for the year, I could see Jagr going there. Now, this rumour was posted on CNNSI.com, so take it for what it is.
There was a similar article in the globe and mail so maybe there's some truth to it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
meph

departure of JVR (**** you holmgren) means that Jagr might be able to get top 6 minutes again

i think holmgren will try to resign him (as far as i am concerned, jagr did not resign only because of not being able to get top 6 minutes)

he was the reason i started watching philly, but i am not sure i want him back

meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

People are really complaining about paying 3 milion for our 3rd leading scorer (and was on pace for more)? I have a feeling he is going to do better than last season.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Cheese Danish

With JVR gone, I'd really, really like to see Jagr come back now.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
It would be so Calgary to try to get Jagr.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
CTU2fan

What about Jagr's season last year has anyone convinced that giving him top-6 minutes won't be a colossal mistake? Jagr was a great player, and he still brings something, but he's a year older and if anything more likely to wear down/break down with too much ice time. I guess I wouldn't mind Jagr back, but I'd prefer he get limited ES ice time with maybe more PP minutes. But he should be plan C at best after they continue to explore trades for guys like Ryan and a possible contract offer to Parise.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Broad Street Elite

Pierre LeBrun on Twitter:

Quote:
Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda says he expects to talk with the Flyers today...

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:11 AM
3Fs

I would be more happy if Flyers just let him walk.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:41 AM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
I would be more happy if Flyers just let him walk.
Ya Really. I can't see what more Jagr can bring to the team. He was terrible down the stretch, and he'll only take up ice time that would benefit the rookies more than him.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannoMeszarosRex View Post
Ya Really. I can't see what more Jagr can bring to the team. He was terrible down the stretch, and he'll only take up ice time that would benefit the rookies more than him.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
sg12lw

lets not forget, Jagr was snake-bitten for the first 20 games or so....he could have had at least 6-7 more goals

I'd take him back

One year deal, same cap hit

cmon people he was part of one of the best lines in hockey last season

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

jagr will probably sign a 6 year deal

i can feel it

dont let me down homer

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
jagr will probably sign a 6 year deal

i can feel it

dont let me down homer

Better make it a 10 year deal

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Better make it a 10 year deal
Good idea. Then we can trade him for a young prospect and some picks.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
jagrgodr

Remember, before the new years injury, he was at a ppg (fact) and part of the leagues most productive line, if not the best.

32 gp, 12 g, 19 a, 32 points

That was with a very slow start and readjusting to the league. That is pretty damn impressive for a then 39 year old. If he stays healthy next year, it is possible that he could produce at that pace or better. He probably won't play a full season, but you have to admit he still has it. Like with all players (look at crosby) injuries happen.

Also i would worry about the loss of his leadership and mentoring abilities that he possesses, especially considering how young the rest of the forwards are. Besides Brierre (34) and Hartnell (30), every single forward is under 28 which is below the average age of nhl players.

Anyways i can see why the flyers or fans would not want him signed, since he is freaking 40 years old. Just don't forget that this is possibly one of the top 10 most skilled hockey players to ever play the game and he is probably one of the largest skilled players, which makes it hard for him to get knocked down (which has helped him prevent injuries). Hopefully he will do a better job training this season and will last longer.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
jagrgodr

and don't forget this:

More than that, though, his leadership has helped a Flyers team that has seen seven rookies become major contributors grow into a squad that has spent all season fighting for the top spot in the Eastern Conference.

"You really wouldn't know (he's 40) the way he trains and practices," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said. "His attitude … I think sometimes age is what you make it to be. He doesn't lean on that he's approaching 40. He doesn't come to practice like that. He doesn't look for days off. He doesn't use that. Actually, it's the exact opposite. He's been a terrific influence on our younger players … having them after practice or getting them extra work or coming back to the rink for some extra work. Just having his experience in the locker room, you wouldn't know that he's closing in on that number, and he doesn't play that card. He's been great."

The mentor role is one Jagr easily has adapted to.

"He's really different than I thought he'd be," teammate Jody Shelley told Yahoo! Sports earlier this season. "Just a great guy to be around for every single one of us."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616948

He is basically acting as a player/coach by spending extra time with the youngsters/rookies. Think about that. Think about having Gretzky at age 40 but gretzky being super hands on and wanting to help the other players on and off the ice with hockey training. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it's even better than having him as a coach because you can learn by example.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
and don't forget this:

More than that, though, his leadership has helped a Flyers team that has seen seven rookies become major contributors grow into a squad that has spent all season fighting for the top spot in the Eastern Conference.

"You really wouldn't know (he's 40) the way he trains and practices," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said. "His attitude … I think sometimes age is what you make it to be. He doesn't lean on that he's approaching 40. He doesn't come to practice like that. He doesn't look for days off. He doesn't use that. Actually, it's the exact opposite. He's been a terrific influence on our younger players … having them after practice or getting them extra work or coming back to the rink for some extra work. Just having his experience in the locker room, you wouldn't know that he's closing in on that number, and he doesn't play that card. He's been great."

The mentor role is one Jagr easily has adapted to.

"He's really different than I thought he'd be," teammate Jody Shelley told Yahoo! Sports earlier this season. "Just a great guy to be around for every single one of us."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616948

He is basically acting as a player/coach by spending extra time with the youngsters/rookies. Think about that. Think about having Gretzky at age 40 but gretzky being super hands on and wanting to help the other players on and off the ice with hockey training. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it's even better than having him as a coach because you can learn by example.

Yeah I hear that and all and don't disagree about his invaluable influence but unfortunately we are cap constrained and a guy like Doan (although unlikely he signs here) would provide more added value IMO. Obviously so would some other higher end free agents where his money would be better served. If those options fail (which seems likley) then obviously he could be brought back and prolly should..

One request..if he comes back...I want somebody to bump the thread where people debated how many points he would get. The Art Ross quadrillion point estimates were pretty amusing...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I am skeptical of taking Jagr back. Not knocking his abilities, but he's getting old and seemed beat up toward the end of the season. I don't remember if he had any injuries or if Lavy was just not playing him as much toward the end, but he was just obviously not as effective down the stretch and into the playoffs. If he comes back at a discount (like he said he would earlier in the year) I'd be cool with it. If he wants a raise, I think they should look elsewhere, Jiri Hudler, for one.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:48 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
lets not forget, Jagr was snake-bitten for the first 20 games or so....he could have had at least 6-7 more goals

I'd take him back

One year deal, same cap hit

cmon people he was part of one of the best lines in hockey last season
Anyone on a line with Giroux is gonna be part of one of the best lines. I saw nothing that elevated that line to elite level from him. I would say Hartnell added more magic to that line that Jagr did. You could put anyone with them next season, and they will continue to dominate.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Anyone on a line with Giroux is gonna be part of one of the best lines. I saw nothing that elevated that line to elite level from him. I would say Hartnell added more magic to that line that Jagr did. You could put anyone with them next season, and they will continue to dominate.

I love claude as much as anyone, but nobody does it themselves...

that line took off with Hartnell, yes, but Jagr played a HUGE role on that line....he was probably our only player creative enough with the puck to keep up with claude's playmaking

...not saying we can't have a great 1st line without jagr, but to say its a guarantee and that jagr means nothing is not correct imo

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I disagree. I think that Jagr's playmaking ability had an impact on that line being successful.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:57 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Voracek will be just as a good on Giroux's wing. There's really no need for him at this point. Weirdly enough, the best things he did for the team last year were off the ice. You probably wouldn't have been talking about Jagr that way when he was sucking it up for the Caps.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:03 PM
toughfighter83*

i would only sign him if he's last option and cant get any other wingers, i dont know about Voracek replacing him, he's a second line player at best. he works better with briere.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:49 PM
NHLsnipers

Its baffling that any real Flyers fan doesnt want him back for one more season.

Just because he wasnt incredible down the stretch? Lavs cut his ice time completely and took him off the 1st PP unit. He probably wasn't conditioned enough to handle it and I bet he adjusts next season.

He isnt going to go to Flames or Habs either. He has 1, maybe 2 seasons left in him. He is going to a contender.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote