HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bold Statement by Calgary GM on Jankowski

Old
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This just sounds like a cult-ish response. If you really cannot be objective about your team for even a second to realize that this guy will more than likely never crack the line up, has a very high risk of being a bust due to the amount of competition he still has to graduate from, and that maybe your team did draft by need, I feel bad for you bro.

Just because it's your favorite team doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.
What are you taking about? I never said he was BPA I said according to them he was. Was it a bad pick? NO ONE KNOWS! Give it a few years.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is, in every way, the most idiotic post this forum has ever seen.
Yeah... Every single fan/poster that isn't emotionally attached to Iginla has suggested that he should be traded because he holds some good value.

Flames fans still think they are a C away from greatness and agree in the GM's refusal to do so.

Huge mistake.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Yeah... Every single fan/poster that isn't emotionally attached to Iginla has suggested that he should be traded because he holds some good value.

Flames fans still think they are a C away from greatness and agree in the GM's refusal to do so.

Huge mistake.
No most think Iginla will never win a cup here but it isn't the GM's choice as the ownership has said they won't rebuild. We know he has good value but if you go to the Trade boards most offer decent prospects for him that doesn't do much for us.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:41 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This just sounds like a cult-ish response. If you really cannot be objective about your team for even a second to realize that this guy will more than likely never crack the line up, has a very high risk of being a bust due to the amount of competition he still has to graduate from, and that maybe your team did draft by need, I feel bad for you bro.

Just because it's your favorite team doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.
, Why do you feel obliged to give your opinion (in a negavtive light) on a player in which you have absolutely no information or knowledge on? You draw the conclusion that he will never be an NHL player based on the level of the competition he faced? Talk about being shortsighted.

If Calgary was drafting by need they would have selected a player that could contribute much sooner. What you view as the BPA is completely up to the parameters you set. Calgary obviously selected Jankowski because they believe he will be better then anyone who was available at #14. There is absolutely no substance to your claim that Calgary drafted specifically for a need.

I also think it is remarkable that you hear that Jankowski was such a reach at 21 based strictly on CSS or TSN rankings. Just look at the draft, it was extremely unpredictable and many players did not come close to going where they were projected by "experts".

Some examples include;
Mitchell Moroz - Selected 32nd overall - CSS Ranking #72
Coda Gordan - Selected 165th overall - CSS Ranking #61
Max Iafrate - Undrafted - CSS Ranking #70
Nick Ebert - Selected 211th overall - CSS Ranking #96
Matthew Deblouw - Selected 186th overall - CSS Ranking #51
Slater Koekkoek - Selected 10th overall - CSS Ranking #23

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
PZA
#1 P4P Champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
The Flames have been one of the worst run franchises for a while now.

What a shame...
Yet your team in the past five seasons missed the playoffs twice and the other three times could not get the past the 1st round. If you really believe the Sens are THAT much better off than the Flames... that's a shame.

PZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Vexxed14

The Flames right now are doing what the Leafs did under JFJ. I like the flames but if Iginla goes for nothing (by trade or retirement), I think your team will be in the same exact boat we have been in since the lockout.

I'm not trying to troll the situation, I truly see it as being the exact same set of circumstances

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
The Flames right now are doing what the Leafs did under JFJ. I like the flames but if Iginla goes for nothing (by trade or retirement), I think your team will be in the same exact boat we have been in since the lockout.

I'm not trying to troll the situation, I truly see it as being the exact same set of circumstances
Nah. Good try though.

The Flames have quality players coming up through their system. They have a great, young, impact player in Bartschi (something the Leafs didn't have) They have great goaltending depth, two of them which could be NHL starters two years from now (something the Leafs also didn't have.)

The Flames biggest organizational problem right now is a lack of D prospects, somewhat addressed in this past draft, not having that gamebreaking forward that Iggy was when he was younger/in his prime. It's unknown right now if Bartschi will be that forward, I'd say in a worst case scenario right now he will be a capable 2nd line forward.

The Flames also haven't been throwing their 1st round picks away (don't get me starter on the 2nds though!)

That said, Iginla and Kipper have value around the league and could be moved, but they should only be moved for a surefire prospect, not one that could pan out. Otherwise, at this point in their careers the Flames are likely better off just keeping them.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Nah. Good try though.

The Flames have quality players coming up through their system. They have a great, young, impact player in Bartschi (something the Leafs didn't have) They have great goaltending depth, two of them which could be NHL starters two years from now (something the Leafs also didn't have.)

The Flames biggest organizational problem right now is a lack of D prospects, somewhat addressed in this past draft, not having that gamebreaking forward that Iggy was when he was younger/in his prime. It's unknown right now if Bartschi will be that forward, I'd say in a worst case scenario right now he will be a capable 2nd line forward.

The Flames also haven't been throwing their 1st round picks away (don't get me starter on the 2nds though!)

That said, Iginla and Kipper have value around the league and could be moved, but they should only be moved for a surefire prospect, not one that could pan out. Otherwise, at this point in their careers the Flames are likely better off just keeping them.
Okay, I'll take your word for it. I don't know the flames deeply enough to debate nor do I have an urge to get Flames fans riled up.

I will say this though. We had many of those same thoughts about who we did have at the time. It was kool-aid of course. I can't say one way or the other how your prospects will turn out, I do hope for the best though.

Replacing a guy like Iginla is very hard at this stage in his career. You can get decent value but those guys are near irreplaceable for a team like yours I think. Heck, Sundin has not even been close to being replaced for us. I use those two as an example because I believe their role and impact to their franchises is identical.

Beware the NTC, that was the nail in our coffin...

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
PumpkinBomb

As I stated on the previous page, I don't think Jankowski was a reach at where he was taken, and even if he was taken at 14 I think he has as good a shot as any other forward taken outside the top 12 to eventually make it.

The thing is, outside of Yakupov, and Galy, and to a lesser extent forsberg and grigs there weren't really any other first line forwards left in the draft. So if calgary wanted a forward their options were to take a future 3rd line forward or swing for the fences.

But what one flames fan pointed out to me, and probably correctly is there were some good defence still available, especially at 14.

The only other thing I don't like about the pick is he probably won't even play for 3 more years at the earliest. The flames need some other young players to grow with Sven. It reminds me of Hemsky in his young career. He had a lot of talent but no other skilled players to play with.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote