HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Islanders, Blue Jackets narrowly avoid worst trade of all-time at NHL draft" Puck Da

Old
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I get the feeling that this will, over time, become the "How long have you been a black quarterback?" of the NHL. It'll come up every single year, right around the same time, and facts and logic be damned.
I know right.

The pattern is one logical post showing why this trade would have been BAD had it gone down. Then it is followed by a bunch of idiots who didn't read the other posts in the thread and just claim that Snow was dumb for offering it and Howson even more dumb for turning it down.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

This purported trade is going to set a record for how many threads it starts.

Rather than re-post Elliotte Friedman's reply about why the trade made sense for the Isles and why it made sense for the Jackets to turn it down, I'll try a different scenario.

Any Bruins fans here? We had the #4 pick in 2010 and you had the #2. We'll trade our whole draft that year for your #2. Even better, we had 8 picks that year and 2 second rounders!!! I mean Chiarelli would have to be the worst GM ever to turn that down, right?

OK, let's see:

Tyler Seguin for

Ryan Johansen (No 4)
Dalton Smith (No. 34)
Petr Straka (No. 55)
Brandon Archibald (No. 94)
Mathieu Corbeil (No. 102)
Austin Madaisky (No. 124)
Dalton Prout (No. 154)
Martin Ouellette (No. 184)

Both Seguin and Johansen are centermen, so its a good comparison because the player the Jackets took at #4 likely would have been a D-man like Murray (Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba, etc).

Johansen still has the potential to be a great player, but he wasn't projected to be better than Seguin then, and that assessment has held up so far. Even though Johansen has pretty good trade value, does the addition of the rest of the players cover the difference to make it a fair deal for Seguin? The quantity over quality is not likely to win over too many Bruins fans to accept the above trade right now.

The CBJ should have done better with the #34 pick in 2010, but the rest are just lotto tickets. If one or more of those picks struck gold, it's a good trade for the team giving up the #2. If not, it's a good trade for the team dumping all the picks. I don't see how it would be the worst trade of all time unless a team really got lucky with multiple late round hits.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Spezza was so highly-regarded that when he was sent back to the OHL after being drafted, there were serious questions about whether he was a bust already. THAT is how highly touted he was.

Here's how the 2000 draft order probably goes if that trade isn't made:
1) NY Islanders - Dany Heatley
2) Atlanta - Rostislav Klesla
3) Minnesota - Rick Dipietro
4) Columbus - Marian Gaborik

Trust me, I hate that deal too.
Gaborik would still go at 3.....

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:39 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Gaborik would still go at 3.....
I think Islanders were leaning Gaborik over Heatley.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
The Isles drafted 13 guys in 08, 7 in 09, 6 in '10, and 8 in '11. They have like 16 guys on ELCs and like 12 RFAs. As silly as this trade sounds, they can probably afford to forgo quantity for quality because they're going to run out of contract space for prospects.

Logic being used here!

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
I don't see why the Isles are getting ripped on here.

A team that should be rebuilding just declined an entire extra draft for 1 prospect, and all they really had to do was move down 2 spots.

Also, how pissed would the NYI scouts be if their entire draft consisted of picking 2nd overall and then going home

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
robdicks

I don't mind this as usually whoever gets the best player in the trade wins the trade. Most NHLers are replaceable. The replaceable ones are the ones you are most likely to get from the 4th onward and the irreplaceable players usually happen in the top 3. I don't dislike this offer.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote